Roger Goodell gets new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
CTE is the players/union focus and at their insistence because of media pressure have made these hits illegal. You may not like it but you might as well get used to it, it's the law of the land now.
It's a new rule...to punish like it's a malicious act...an intentional act...is wrong...they are somehow trying to determine "intent" on these hits....when the speed of the game dictates how a person is tackled...not intentions.
To say the only way to separate a player from the ball is to lead with your head into their head is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read.
On that play, on that moment, his helmet was lead into a collision...in an attempt to separate the ball from the receiver.....it's not the only way on every play...but in this instance, it was the only play...

I like arguing/debating with you.....seriously...I'm like that...that's why I tell the mods....give it to me...let me see it....I've been thru a lot....nothing in here hurts me..or my feelings...
I had to say that before I reply to a subtle jab you constantly throw around......intelligence...and ignorance....LOL....guys that constantly...well, continually use, "this guys an idiot...or those dudes are morons" almost always, they are in some way, well, I'd say either they were spoken to like this as a kid....like ones parent or brother would say, dude, get your (insert your own intelligence slander) self over here and help me....Or they hang with the buds, and are the dumbest dude in the room....and trust me, I hung with a bunch of athletes (couple med &psych majors too) that were mentally challenged....and took a few courses, were I felt like the idiot in the room. My point...if it is indeed one of the most ignorant things you EVER read, please state why....what exactly made it an ignorant comment.....I understand...you want head-shots out of the game...Listen to Mike Mitchell's rant....how a QB threw a receiver INTO his path....and he couldn't change his target angle....Same with Iloka in MY OPINION......and unless he's going over to play patty-cake....how, in your infinite wisdom, does a safety "separate" a receiver from the ball? In that split second moment, what was he to do?

You don't suspend guys for innocent plays....If AJ Green and Gronk get one game suspensions....I don't think head hits should be fined at all. Maybe sit them for a quarter....

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's a new rule...to punish like it's a malicious act...an intentional act...is wrong...they are somehow trying to determine "intent" on these hits....when the speed of the game dictates how a person is tackled...not intentions.

That's why the Gronk hit was so egregious though, and why he should have received a much longer suspension - there is NO doubt that one was intentional, as it occurred after the whistle when the other player was on the ground. That was clearly an intent to injure, and Gronk should have been sent packing for much long than a single game. But of course, Goodell just reacted instead of leading.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't care.

Rodger hate has been fueled by media driven agendas. And the snarky fans follow like the sheep they are.

Who has honestly thought while watching a football game, damn I really hate the commissioner!?
I'd just suggest you don't use generalizations with which to blanket all fans. Goodhell has been a nightmare for the game the fans grew to love. He is a godsend for most of the owners and their pocket book. He is slick and has a very good mind for negotiations.

The problem that most fans see is that he has been very weak on making actual decisions. He is an apple from daddy's tree. Part of that could be because herding 32 billionaires is likely worse than herding cats. But his job is still to be the head caballero and get to herding. But he puts together the committees that puke out information for the owners to make decisions. And thus far, many of these decisions have been flat wrong. The way the LA fight was handled is idiotic, the way the referee strike was handled was idiotic, the way the patsie cheating incident was handled was moronic, the way the National Anthem protests are being handled is idiotic, the way he negotiated the last player contract is mind bogglingly idiotic........ But hey - he makes the owners money so....

To answer your question though, if I'm watching the game, I don't think about the commissioner until I see the garbage rules and how the game is being called. Then - hell yes I think about the shit he is enacting to cover the owners' asses while killing the game itself.

Commissioner enacts policies handed down by the owners and the result? Fans hate the commissioner not the owners who just did what his bass asked.

CTE? Players, their union and the teams ignored the CTE studies. Fans hate the commissioner for ignoring the studies.

Player discipline? Players and their Union agree to the owners term. Result? Fans hate the commissioner.

Owners and players are making more money year after year. Result? Fans hate the commissioner for getting a raise just like everybody else in the sport has.

Officials? Officials suck but the owners won't make them full time employees nor work to improve their ability or hold them accountable. Result? Fans hate the commissioner.

IMO the man earns every penny for putting up with peoples hate for him doing exactly what he's hired to do and told to do by his bosses.
So then Goodhell in your mind is nothing more than a ventriloquist's puppet. Nah. The guy is paid by the owners to present them with solutions to the problems they face because they are incapable of getting a consensus out of 32 billionaires that are used to being the number one guy in their lives outside of owning a franchise. They could get any number of polished faces to take the heat for far less than $40 or $50 mil a year plus insane perks.

The commish puts together professionals and groups to negotiate and put together proposals that are then put in front of the owners. It's not much different than the CEO of a large corporation. Shitty CEOs get their contracts extended all the time. We only hear about the ones who are in power when their corporation takes a big hit or they get fired for ineptness or stock violations.

I can virtually guarantee you the owners aren't sitting around coming up with new rules for the officials and then coming to Goodell and telling him he has to sell it.

The owners are culpable in all this but there are 32 owners and one commissioner. Of course he is going to take the ire of the fans. But he is at least as responsible as are they, if not more, and I personally think he has led the owners down a rabbit hole of making huge short term profits. The trick for him is going to be keeping those profits growing into the future. If he does, he will get extended again no doubt. If not, buh by.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd just suggest you don't use generalizations with which to blanket all fans. Goodhell has been a nightmare for the game the fans grew to love. He is a godsend for most of the owners and their pocket book. He is slick and has a very good mind for negotiations.

The problem that most fans see is that he has been very weak on making actual decisions. He is an apple from daddy's tree. Part of that could be because herding 32 billionaires is likely worse than herding cats. But his job is still to be the head caballero and get to herding. But he puts together the committees that puke out information for the owners to make decisions. And thus far, many of these decisions have been flat wrong. The way the LA fight was handled is idiotic, the way the referee strike was handled was idiotic, the way the patsie cheating incident was handled was moronic, the way the National Anthem protests are being handled is idiotic, the way he negotiated the last player contract is mind bogglingly idiotic........ But hey - he makes the owners money so....

To answer your question though, if I'm watching the game, I don't think about the commissioner until I see the garbage rules and how the game is being called. Then - hell yes I think about the crap he is enacting to cover the owners' asses while killing the game itself.

So then Goodhell in your mind is nothing more than a ventriloquist's puppet. Nah. The guy is paid by the owners to present them with solutions to the problems they face because they are incapable of getting a consensus out of 32 billionaires that are used to being the number one guy in their lives outside of owning a franchise. They could get any number of polished faces to take the heat for far less than $40 or $50 mil a year plus insane perks.

The commish puts together professionals and groups to negotiate and put together proposals that are then put in front of the owners. It's not much different than the CEO of a large corporation. crappy CEOs get their contracts extended all the time. We only hear about the ones who are in power when their corporation takes a big hit or they get fired for ineptness or stock violations.

I can virtually guarantee you the owners aren't sitting around coming up with new rules for the officials and then coming to Goodell and telling him he has to sell it.

The owners are culpable in all this but there are 32 owners and one commissioner. Of course he is going to take the ire of the fans. But he is at least as responsible as are they, if not more, and I personally think he has led the owners down a rabbit hole of making huge short term profits. The trick for him is going to be keeping those profits growing into the future. If he does, he will get extended again no doubt. If not, buh by.
The thing that's different with the NFL from the other leagues is the owners have committees for the different aspects of the business. They vote on things and the commissioner enacts what they vote on. He absolutely has things he can do on his own. But he also gets direction from these owners committees. I'm not going to blame him for everything. The owners and players/union share in it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You have your opinion I have mine. Facts of the matter is each CBA has been agreed to by the owners and players. They're in this together tied at the hip. If something was so important to the Union they could have done something about it. Their actions or lack of have much more impact than what they tell the media they want or wanted. Actions speak so much louder than words.
Goodell - "Here you go. Less practice time, better pay."
Players' Association - "Where do I sign?"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On that play, on that moment, his helmet was lead into a collision...in an attempt to separate the ball from the receiver.....it's not the only way on every play...but in this instance, it was the only play...

I like arguing/debating with you.....seriously...I'm like that...that's why I tell the mods....give it to me...let me see it....I've been thru a lot....nothing in here hurts me..or my feelings...
I had to say that before I reply to a subtle jab you constantly throw around......intelligence...and ignorance....LOL....guys that constantly...well, continually use, "this guys an idiot...or those dudes are morons" almost always, they are in some way, well, I'd say either they were spoken to like this as a kid....like ones parent or brother would say, dude, get your (insert your own intelligence slander) self over here and help me....Or they hang with the buds, and are the dumbest dude in the room....and trust me, I hung with a bunch of athletes (couple med &psych majors too) that were mentally challenged....and took a few courses, were I felt like the idiot in the room. My point...if it is indeed one of the most ignorant things you EVER read, please state why....what exactly made it an ignorant comment.....I understand...you want head-shots out of the game...Listen to Mike Mitchell's rant....how a QB threw a receiver INTO his path....and he couldn't change his target angle....Same with Iloka in MY OPINION......and unless he's going over to play patty-cake....how, in your infinite wisdom, does a safety "separate" a receiver from the ball? In that split second moment, what was he to do?

You don't suspend guys for innocent plays....If AJ Green and Gronk get one game suspensions....I don't think head hits should be fined at all. Maybe sit them for a quarter....
My infinite wisdom says it's not rocket science it's very easy to understand. You lead with the helmet your doing it wrong. You hit somebody in the head with your helmet, shoulder or forearm you're doing it wrong. There's no grey area here the rules in place. The rule is there to protect the players because they cried out about cte. They can't have it both ways. You want to blame the owners for causing cte on the players and you want to blame them for taking steps to prevent it. Might as well get used to it, we're too far down the cte road to change now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The thing that's different with the NFL from the other leagues is the owners have committees for the different aspects of the business. They vote on things and the commissioner enacts what they vote on. He absolutely has things he can do on his own. But he also gets direction from these owners committees. I'm not going to blame him for everything. The owners and players/union share in it.
And I said that the owners are also to blame. I suppose I didn't lend any blame to the players or their association but, yeah - they are part of it as well.

Still, the owners committees by all account are deciding on a very limited set of ideas presented to them by people chosen by the commissioner. Very little decided by those committees originated inside those committees.

Players, coaches, owners are all involved. It is just that it is the commissioner's job to steer the ship. Someone needs to tell him to turn his fucking sonar on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Try this
Union "We want less two a days and padded practices"
Goodell "The owners and I want control over discipline."
Union "We don't like that but what we want is important. Besides we know we can sue you and complain over it later so where do we sign?"

Union "we want better pay"
Goodell "We want Thursday night games all year"
Union "That's not good for the players but the money is too good to turn down. Where do we sign?"

We can play these games all day. But it all comes back to one thing. The owners and their commissioner work with the players and their union so they all make the most money they can. Everything else is secondary.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I said that the owners are also to blame. I suppose I didn't lend any blame to the players or their association but, yeah - they are part of it as well.

Still, the owners committees by all account are deciding on a very limited set of ideas presented to them by people chosen by the commissioner. Very little decided by those committees originated inside those committees.

Players, coaches, owners are all involved. It is just that it is the commissioner's job to steer the ship. Someone needs to tell him to turn his freaking sonar on.
Competition committee decides on head shots being a penalty not Goodell.

Competition committee changes the kickoff not Goodell.

Competition committee is made up of current and former coaches primarily along with owners and front office people. Some of which are former players. They're the one most fans should be mad at, they're the ones changing things most of the time that Goodell takes the blame for.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I want to clarify I'm not Goodell biggest fan, I just don't think he should take all the blame like most people give him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Competition committee decides on head shots being a penalty not Goodell.

Competition committee changes the kickoff not Goodell.

Competition committee is made up of current and former coaches primarily along with owners and front office people. Some of which are former players. They're the one most fans should be mad at, they're the ones changing things most of the time that Goodell takes the blame for.
So in your mind, just exactly what does Goodhell do? I mean besides get paid $50 mil to make sure the fans don't think mean things about the owners.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So in your mind, just exactly what does Goodhell do? I mean besides get paid $50 mil to make sure the fans don't think mean things about the owners.
Day to day operations, uneven discipline, PR, negotiating with the union and negotiating with current and potential sponsors. The competition committee is imo the ones who do the most to the sport that fans don't like.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Day to day operations, uneven discipline, PR, negotiating with the union and negotiating with current and potential sponsors. The competition committee is imo the ones who do the most to the sport that fans don't like.
I have no way of verifying this but I imagine Goodhell to be somewhat of a micro-manager. The gaffs that he has made in regards to discipline, PR, allowing a very public battle by three teams over the LA market and then negotiating some stupid ass landlord/tenant situation, the allowing for a lesser product in order to get concessions from the union, the way he ensures that he is in the spotlight like no other commish in memory, all add up to his being more of an egomaniac than the owners or any previous commish.

But who chooses the competition committee and those advising them? Who hires the people and selects the professionals that actually set the agenda for the competition committee meetings. You don't really think that committee is coming up with this shit and voting on it in a couple meetings each year - do you?

Clearly it is not all him. But again - he is at the helm and is more responsible for it IMO than any other one person. If the corporation is making bad decisions or allowing committees to ruin the product, you fire the CEO. Unfortunately, that is rarely done until the corporation takes a huge financial hit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no way of verifying this but I imagine Goodhell to be somewhat of a micro-manager. The gaffs that he has made in regards to discipline, PR, allowing a very public battle by three teams over the LA market and then negotiating some stupid ass landlord/tenant situation, the allowing for a lesser product in order to get concessions from the union, the way he ensures that he is in the spotlight like no other commish in memory, all add up to his being more of an egomaniac than the owners or any previous commish.

But who chooses the competition committee and those advising them? Who hires the people and selects the professionals that actually set the agenda for the competition committee meetings. You don't really think that committee is coming up with this crap and voting on it in a couple meetings each year - do you?

Clearly it is not all him. But again - he is at the helm and is more responsible for it IMO than any other one person. If the corporation is making bad decisions or allowing committees to ruin the product, you fire the CEO. Unfortunately, that is rarely done until the corporation takes a huge financial hit.
You may be right we'll probably never find out. Look really quick at a few of the names on the comp committee. Rich McCay is the president and the next two guys are a Mara and Jones along with the president of the Packers. These are the guys shaping the NFL imo.

The commissioner chooses the people on the committee but everything they do requires a 2/3 vote by the owners. Each team makes suggestions in the offseason to vote on or discuss.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/the-nfl-competition-committee/

Again I'm not absolving him of all the games problems. I just think he's on equal footing with people who get off without blame by most people.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Really? Then why all the half empty stadiums? If Goodell gets the credit for the game's popularity, then he should also get the blame for its decline, no? That's only fair. Love ya man, but this is one of the few topics we don't agree on.

Lot's of reasons. Money. Traffic. HDTV. Man caves.

I'm not giving the man credit, I'm just saying I don't agree with the notion that one guy in a suit is the root cause of this so-called decline of the NFL. Increase in popularity happened organically. People want to see teams that give it all on the field, not in an office in New York.

also helps if you don't pretend your a super hero.

giphy.gif

Goodell being a walking PR disaster affects the health of the league overall because it gives people a more negative view of the NFL as a brand. If you don't believe that makes any difference, go talk to people in corporations who have seen their own brand reputation decline and how that affected their business.

Or for that matter ... look at all the empty seats in stadiums this year and the precipitous decline in ratings. That's directly related to the NFL brand being less popular than it was. And long term, that will absolutely affect the game on the field. CTE has already impacted youth football participation, and if fewer people tune in to watch games due to declining interest, youth football participation will fall even further. That will inevitably lead to fewer good athletes in the game and a decline of play on the field. If you couple that with the declining ratings - which will directly translate int lower revenues and less money for players - you are looking at another factor that will exacerbate the decline of quality play.

A good leader is supposed to set up his organization for long-term success. I don't see how anyone can make the case that Goodell is doing so right now, particularly with declining ratings, attendance, and negative brand recognition.

I've already countered the stadium issue above. I also mentioned that ratings have been in record highs last year and this year's HoF game. Regular games are down? Because people want to watch good football, not moronic teams that constantly put out a shitty product.

And who drives the negative view? When folks in the major media outlets only talk about the negative and hardly ever talks about actual on-field stuff.

No matter what suspension or stripping of draft picks or fines get issued, someone will always say they aren't warranted. Well what is then? Seems like the punishment was strict for Dallas RB, then his owner threw a fit and put a personal vendetta. WHEN JERRUH HIMSELF VOTED FOR THE COMMISSIONER TO HAVE THIS AUTHORITY. That really pissed me off, in case you can't tell.

There were terrible people playing football before Rodger Goodell showed up. Safety was pretty much ignored (@Old School is killing it with the concussion issue).

So why now are these issues suddenly at the feet of Rodger Goodell?

I don't. I pay attention on the field.

Well when I made that statement, it was really a shot at PFT and the commentators on there. And yes, I will generalize and blanket those people.

Well like I said above, whatever decision he makes, for w/e reason it backfires.

The LA fight was between Stan and City of St. Louis.

The ref strike was part of the lock out.

So both of those were things OUTSIDE the Commissioner or involved a bunch of different parties.

The Patriots, I will give you Spygate and Deflategate. Yet when the latter's punishment was dolled it, it was Tom Brady and Robert Kraft to take it to court.

To answer your question though, if I'm watching the game, I don't think about the commissioner until I see the garbage rules and how the game is being called. Then - hell yes I think about the crap he is enacting to cover the owners' asses while killing the game itself.

Well good thing the Rams don't seem to have that problem this year. :yay:

And I just realized I'm going against not one but TWO fathers of ROD in this debate. Oh boy...

tumblr_ntlngaF8rB1rr4o07o1_250.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The LA fight was between Stan and City of St. Louis.
The LA fight was a train wreck between 6 cities and was a cluster fuck of epic proportions. Goodhell tried to dictate how it was all going to go down and make decisions for all three ball clubs and six cities. He probably couldn't have handled that worse from a PR and potential future stadium funding standpoint.

The point I make is that the guy is very poor at running an operation yet very good at figuring out ways to make that operation money. The sport was extremely popular with most sports viewing fans long before Goodhell got there. He has been able to capitalize on that popularity like no one before or since. But everything he tries to show he has got a handle on as would a normal CEO, he bungles terribly. That is why he is a lightning rod for most of the fan base. Very few of us give two shits if the owners make $20 billion or $40 billion. What we care about is the product on the field and the crap that goes on seemingly daily. That is why I want him out and I suspect I'm not alone.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And I just realized I'm going against not one but TWO fathers of ROD in this debate. Oh boy...

I'm more like the crazy old relative they keep in the basement hooked up to a computer..please send for help.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Yeah, it gets lost that the current CBA was an overreaction to all of the prior "voluntary" stuff teams did that weren't really voluntary and players felt pressured to do every "voluntary" thing or it counted against them.

At the very least, they need to open up additional venues to new coaches as well as access to the coaching staff for rookie QBs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The LA fight was a train wreck between 6 cities and was a cluster freak of epic proportions. Goodhell tried to dictate how it was all going to go down and make decisions for all three ball clubs and six cities. He probably couldn't have handled that worse from a PR and potential future stadium funding standpoint.

I don't recall this. All I remember was other teams (like Minnesota, Jacksonville, SD, etc) using LA as leverage (oh I hate that word). I don't really recall his involvement anyway.

The point I make is that the guy is very poor at running an operation yet very good at figuring out ways to make that operation money. The sport was extremely popular with most sports viewing fans long before Goodhell got there. He has been able to capitalize on that popularity like no one before or since. But everything he tries to show he has got a handle on as would a normal CEO, he bungles terribly. That is why he is a lightning rod for most of the fan base. Very few of us give two shits if the owners make $20 billion or $40 billion. What we care about is the product on the field and the crap that goes on seemingly daily. That is why I want him out and I suspect I'm not alone.

Popularity has been growing steadily since the early 2000s to present, it wouldn't have mattered who the commissioner would be. Again, it was organic.

But you're right, I don't care about how much money owners get and only on the field. But all the rage the media and fans throw are just double standards tho, IMO.

They went changes to at least address the head injuries.

League reduces or eliminates the most violent play - the kickoff return - fans think it's pussification.

Fans scream for reducing other injuries.

League implements rules for launching, PFs, hands to face, etc.

Fans claim there are too many flags and offense is protected.

Just a couple off the top of my head.

Again my whole point, men in suits don't improve quality on the field, ownership, coaches, and players do. We're really gonna have to agree to disagree here, but I really couldn't care less who the owner's puppet is, and that fans are really overdoing with how much responsibility he really has.

I'm more like the crazy old relative they keep in the basement hooked up to a computer..please send for help.