Robinson, Reynolds blending on the left side/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Robinson, Reynolds blending on the left side
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_65b001e3-debf-5458-8f8f-e5b5d60429e7.html

Greg Robinson has yet to play a full season’s worth of left tackle in the NFL, but he has already had four different linemates at left guard.

Chronologically, he has gone from Davin Joseph, to Rodger Saffold, to Jamon Brown, and now Garrett Reynolds on his immediate right. On a unit where chemistry, communication, and trust is of the utmost importance, Robinson has been doing a blocker’s version of speed-dating since he made his first start at left tackle last Nov. 2 at San Francisco.

And at first, Robinson thought it might be an adjustment with Reynolds at left guard.

“Because our playing style is a lot different,” Robinson said.

How so?

“He admits it,” Robinson explained. “He says, ‘Greg, you’re a lot more athletic than me.’ I can just move a little faster than him.”

Reynolds doesn’t dispute the point.

“I tell him that all the time,” Reynolds said. “He’s got more athletic ability in his leg than I do in my body. But that is completely fine with me. I’m just there. I tell him he’s the athletic guy, I just try to get in the way.”

They are miles apart in terms of pedigree. Robinson was the No. 2 overall pick out of Auburn in the 2014 draft. Reynolds was a third-day guy, taken by Atlanta in the fifth round in 2009.

One reason why the Rams selected Robinson instead of other highly-touted offensive tackle prospects in the ’14 draft such as Jake Matthews of Texas A&M or Taylor Leewan of Michigan was that athleticism. They felt he had a higher ceiling than the other prospects.

So now here he is in his second NFL season, paired with Reynolds — an odd couple if you will on the left side of the line.

“We balance each other out I guess you could say,” Reynolds said, smiling. “But it’s been good working over there. And it’s exciting to see where we’ll go.”

Having just turned 23 (two weeks ago), Robinson is still learning his craft in the NFL.

“I feel like I haven’t really reached full potential, but I’m still building,” Robinson said. “Run-blocking’s really just all effort, I feel. Pass-blocking’s more technique, just taking the proper steps that the coaches stress.

“Like our hand placement on run-blocking, because when we’re playing guys that two-gap it’s kind of hard to really get a feel because you don’t know which direction they’re going.”

After Saffold’s season-ending shoulder injury against Green Bay, the Rams switched Brown to right guard from left, and brought Reynolds off the bench to play left. The reason?

In large part, to help make Robinson better faster. Coach Jeff Fisher summed up the reason for putting a veteran on Robinson’s side in two words.

“The communication,” Fisher said. “Greg’s a long ways away from things out there at left tackle, so it’s good to have Garrett in there communicating with him.”

There is no substitute for experience, and because Reynolds has been in the league for seven years — although not usually as a starter — he can help with line calls, checks, and just overall recognition.

“I believe (experience) is the biggest resource that he has,” Robinson said. “I feel like it can only help me just by him being beside me. I can learn from him, and learn how to break things down.”

Robinson said when he gets ready for a play, “I have to wait for things to line up” and then go through a sequence of things in his head. More often than not, Robinson said Reynolds knows what to expect before it even happens.

“It’s pretty impressive,” Robinson said.

“I’ve seen these looks and situations more than he has,” Reynolds said. “That’s where I can kind of help out. It might be a look, like, ‘Oh yeah, this happened to me a couple years ago.’ You’ve been in the situation in the heat of the moment and in the speed of the game.”

But Reynolds says there have been times in their two games together where he’s had what he calls a “frozen moment” and Robinson has bailed him out.

“So that’s where we do a good job of just communicating together and working together,” Reynolds said. “I think we’re improving play by play, just getting more comfortable with each other.”

Obviously, the emergence of Todd Gurley at running back has made every blocker on offense look better. He’s that kind of back. But Robinson has made strides as a run blocker as the season has progressed. His athleticism helps him get those second-level blocks that turn short gains into bigger ones.

Against Cleveland, for example, he had a couple of kick-out blocks that helped pave the way for runs of 10 yards-plus by Gurley.

His pass-blocking remains a work in progress, with Robinson occasionally committing too early when it comes to engaging the pass-rusher and getting off-balance.

“Greg’s been a little inconsistent at times, that’s the nature of that position,” Fisher said. “Left tackle’s a hard position to play. I think Garrett’s been a good influence on him.

“Garrett’s playing well, he’s playing solid. He’s finishing plays. Getting down field. Doing all those kind of things.”

Pulling from his left guard position to the right, Reynolds threw one of the key blocks on Gurley’s 71-yard touchdown run against San Francisco.

“I saw him zip by, blinked my eyes, and he was 30 yards down field,” Reynolds said. “So he just takes off.”

The vast majority of Reynolds’ playing time in the NFL has been on the right side — either right guard or right tackle — so he’s still getting used to playing on the other side in terms of footwork and balance.

“It’s something where you keep getting used to it,” Reynolds said.

Just like playing next to Robinson.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good to hear about G Robinson, and moving Reynolds to the left definitely seems to have been good for him. I believed Robinson was going to blossom this year and will admit to being disappointed so far. But I didn't realize how young he was, not to mention the lack of pass blocking experience he came in with, and the adjustment to NFL pass-rushers in the most difficult position on the O-line. It sounds like he is gaining confidence and getting better. We just may have our 10-year starter at LT. Also, I wonder how Brown is doing on the right side since the switch?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Signing Reynolds is turning out to be huge for this team. He may b the best Free agen signing the Rams have had. Without him next to Robinson they would have another rookie in there.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Signing Reynolds is turning out to be huge for this team. He may b the best Free agen signing the Rams have had. Without him next to Robinson they would have another rookie in there.

Just goes to show that just because we whiffed on Scott Wells or someone else like that, it's no reason to be afraid of FA. Just have to be smart about it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

It was apparent from Garrett Reynold's arrival that he had his head on right & was a team first player (very RARE). This lanky 6-7 305 Garrett was plugged in very early for the UN-healthy Rodger Saffold (imagine that:shocked:) in the early spring event. Things went well for the left side even with GRob being limited after recovering from toe surgery. Garrett was the Boudreau new 6th OL'er who could be inserted into three OL posts (ORT/OLG/ORG) with our too much of an issue. PB's 2015 6th OL'er signed in ATL & is starting there. In the many articles where he was quoted his maturity & desire to help others was always on the forefront of his conversations. (y)

PB opened up TC with GRob & Saffold as the starting left side but by the end of pre season Saffold was flipped & Rookie Brown who played much better on the left side was inserted next to GRob. No reason was given for this flip but I guessed it was due to Saffold very poor play @ OLG in TC & pre season. Saffold play did not improve much after being inserted into ORG post. Back to rookie Jamon Brown's game ...fact was Brown was doing very well. It was GRob overall game that degraded with each game. I would argue after the Packers game that GRob was faltering mode period. This was bad...real bad:eek:.

Rams a less than 500 club with only 2 wins limped into the Bye week with starting ORG heading back into to surgery after having surgery earlier in the yr for the other shoulder. Not only was Saffold our most experienced OL'er he was our main OLT GROB back up! The OL had to undergo some modifications & Garrett Reynolds was the fix. PB had to flip the improving starting OLG Jamon Brown into Saffold starting ORG post next to our other rookie ORT Havenstein. Not a good thing for Brown but Brown was not the main issue ...it was GRob. Then PB took our only 2015 UFA OL'er & inserted Garrett Reynolds next to GRob @ OLG.

GR is a typical NFL journeyman OL'er with limited OL skills who had connections with both Paul Boudreau & our Les Snead in ATL. Garrett who was 100% ORT when he was being scouted by ATL pro scout named Les Snead. Snead was later in 2009 promoted to Director of Player Personnel when Garrett Reynolds was drafted in the 5th round. The rookie Garrett was the back up to another 100% ORT named Harvey Dahl who Paul Boudreau turned into starting 6-6 307 pound OG for him.

Now this college ex OT is now our top OL leader & starting OG. The Rams have won back to back games & for the first time since 2006 stand 4-3 at mid season with the R&R duo working on that left side. Reynolds seems to be the right influential ingredient for our promising raw but gifted OLT.

Davin Joseph never lined up @ left OG. It was Mike Person who at times played next to GRob. Person played OLT when GRob was playing OLG and Person filled in @ OLG when GRob was playing OLT last season.

Yeah Garrett Reynolds is by far our best 2015 UFA....by a long way.;)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Taylor Leewan of Michigan was that athleticism
I thought Lewan was every bit as athletic as G-Rob...wouldn't have been mad at them trading back to take him...then....Glad we have G-Rob now...

He may b the best Free agent signing the Rams have had.
Hayes...by a long way...Lets see Reynolds after a year...or 2......

Davin Joseph never lined up @ left OG.
That's what I thought too...I always remember him on the right side...killing us. LOL

I still think this wasn't fair to Brown...but whatever....shoulda left Brown on the right side outta camp (next to Havenstein)...and shoulda NEVER re-signed Saffold....I was kinda hoping we got him back...in fact, I hope his shoulder issues are finished and he plays well next season...but I'm kinda at my Sammy B. & DX point on the injury continuum....sometimes you just got to let it go...que the Frozen theme music....

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
I thought Lewan was every bit as athletic as G-Rob...wouldn't have been mad at them trading back to take him...then....Glad we have G-Rob now...

Is your keyboard stuck? haha

Alan

Legend
I want to say that Reynolds is our best G but with Fisher you can't say that with any confidence even though he's our starter. I'm not knocking him at all and I think he's probably one of our best linemen right now but that's not really saying anything except that he's better than most of the rest of our starters. I'm only bringing this up because I wonder what will happen next year in FA and the draft vis-a-vis our OG situation. So I have a few observations about this situation.

Is he our best option at OG right now or is Fisher playing him because he's an experienced vet? My guess is that he probably is our best option right now. That doesn't bode well for the future at that position.

OG: Reynolds (G/T) - Versatile backup who's playing at the level he always has, average (sounds better than mediocre). Do we go into the off season thinking he's our starting LG or do we look to replace him in FA or with a fairly high draft pick? I like him much better as our main backup at both G positions.

Saffold (G/T) - He's expensive, injury prone and I doubt we keep him unless he takes a big pay cut. The market for him this year was underwhelming after Oakland reneged on their deal and that's when he was supposedly healthy (though his price might have something to do with that). Plus, he wasn't playing all that well before his season ending injury.

Wichmann - His NFL talent level is a complete unknown to me because of his injury but considering where we drafted him and the fact that he hasn't supplanted Reynolds or Brown doesn't bode well for his future prospects. I'm going to assume that he's not going to a lighting up the world anytime soon, if ever. Back up at best. A developmental project. Very low expectations.

Rhaney (C/G) - He's currently our only backup at OC and considering our current level of play at that position he also looks like a career backup though he's only really had 1 year to develop but again, considering where he was drafted I'm not optimistic. I can't see us ever playing him at G except in an emergency. Is he even good enough to be a quality backup? Not from what I've seen of him so far. A developmental project. Very low expectations.

Brown - We have hopes but it's not looking that good so far. Do we stay the course or start looking after the season is over?

Andrew Donnal (T/G) - Bottom line from NFL.com: "Donnal is limited from an athletic and strength standpoint but understands the nuances of the position and how to play with technique. With an ability to pass protect and experience at both guard and tackle, he should be drafted and has a legitimate shot at making a roster." Again, doesn't sound good. Another project. A developmental project. Very low expectations.

Darrell Williams (T/G) - Bottom line from NFL.com: "Williams is a competitive player with all the football character you want and NFL power to match. When he gets defenders lined up in his sweet spot, he can drive them out of the play. Winning with guile and toughness over skill, Williams' lack of functional athleticism is a concern and might be a catalyst for a move inside to guard."A developmental project. Very low expectations.

Unfortunately, while it's still very early, I'm still thinking we need to spend some significant capital on our O-line. WR, TE and O-line seem to be our biggest areas of need. That's assuming we extend our own FAs at CB, S, D-line and LB.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I liked him a little (but honestly didn't know a whole lot about him) and I really like him now..I was going to make note of Gurley's run where he (Reynolds) pulled and made a great block to seal the outside to keep any defender from getting an angle on Gurley...I was very impressed by that...I don't know about the quickness thing, but he sure got to that block in a hurry...I agree, it's nice to see the Rams finally hitting on a FA lineman...Hope he stays healthy for the most part...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still think this wasn't fair to Brown...but whatever....shoulda left Brown on the right side outta camp (next to Havenstein)...and shoulda NEVER re-signed Saffold....I was kinda hoping we got him back...in fact, I hope his shoulder issues are finished and he plays well next season...but I'm kinda at my Sammy B. & DX point on the injury continuum....sometimes you just got to let it go...que the Frozen theme music....

I am of the opinion that we will see Jamon Brown starting in 2016 @ OLG & doing very well. JB's natural side is LEFT. Yep most likely not fair to JB but it was necessary to get GRob the assistance that Garrett brings to GRob currently. GRob will be entering his 3rd season in 2016, & he should have 28 starts behinds him...if he has not gotten the brainy tech stuff down by then ......:whistle:2nd yr OL'ers Darrell Williams & Isaiah Battle will be ready to step up!;)

My thoughts on Saffold's future is well documented below....

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...der-woes-are-behind-him-pd.41043/#post-653419

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-for-saffold-after-surgery.40862/#post-649024

I also expect that large run thump-er 6-6 325 pound Cody Wichmann to be our future starting ORG in 2016. With Garrett Reynolds moving back into the 6th Boudreau OL'er. I would also expect Andrew Donnal to be the future top right side ORT/ORG reserve after Garrett Reynolds departs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just love what Wichmann brings to this team....Surprised he isn't active on game days myself....

The Rams have four active reserve OL'ers now. Looks like with the #1-Saffold IR event & #2-the move up of the 6th OL'er Garrett Reynolds to starter.....the Ram new 6th OL'er is Demetrius Rhaney. Last yrs 7th rd draft pick. Rhaney who plays three interior OL posts has been active for all the regular seasons games. The rest of the three rookie reserve OL'ers Darrell Williams, Cody Wichmann & Andrew Donnal all have logged 3 regular season games.

Rookie UDFA Darrell Williams would appear to have assumed the mantel that Saffold & Reynolds carried. DW has been active ever since Saffold was injured meaning he is now our back up OT for both OT posts and the 7th OL'er. Cody Wichmann back up the two OG posts & Andrew Donnal is a right side guy OT/OG.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Hayes...by a long way...Lets see Reynolds after a year...or 2......

That's what I thought too...I always remember him on the right side...killing us. LOL

I meant this season