Robert Woods has found what he was looking for in the Rams' offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ttp://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20170926-story.html

This is exactly what Robert Woods envisioned when he signed with the Rams in March. In four seasons with the Buffalo Bills, Woods eclipsed 100 yards receiving only three times in 57 games. It took him three games to do it for the first time in coach Sean McVay’s offense with the Rams. Woods caught six passes for a team-best 108 yards in last week’s 41-39 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

The former USC All-American this week gave credit to quarterback Jared Goff, fellow 100-yard receiver Sammy Watkins and others.“Kind of the standard for our room,” he said of the receivers. “Just keep it going, and hopefully, that’s how our offense clicks.” Woods has 10 receptions for 169 yards going into Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium.

The main reason Woods signed with the Rams: $15 million in guarantees he received as part of the five-year contract. But the opportunity to play in McVay’s receiver-friendly offense was a close second. The Rams have scored an NFL-best 35.7 points per game en route to a 2-1 record and first place in the NFC West. They are seventh in total offense, averaging 374.3 yards per game.

Woods credits McVay’s scheme and play-calling — especially the effective use of play-action fakes and passes — for confusing defenses.“Throughout the game, you just have a sense of, ‘They don’t know what we’re doing,’ ” he said, adding, “When you’re running a route and you see guys running the opposite way, it’s a good feeling.”

The Rams pursued Woods during the offseason for his skill-set but also for his work ethic and locker-room presence.McVay sought such veterans as Woods and offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth to influence younger players and to provide an example.Woods caught three passes in the season-opening victory over Indianapolis, but had only one catch on four targets in a loss against the Washington Redskins.

Against the 49ers, Woods made a big play when he leaped to collect a 31-yard pass along the sideline after Goff escaped the pocket.“I just ran my route,” he said. “Jared kept his eyes downfield and was able to deliver the ball in a spot where the defender couldn’t get it.”Later in the game, Woods ran a slant route over the middle for a 13-yard gain before an especially violent collision with 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward, who was penalized for a personal foul.

“It was a good shot, a good hit, that’s part of the game,” said Woods, who immediately leaped to his feet. “Don’t let them see you feel it and just pop right up.“He definitely got me, but you just can’t let him know.”
Watkins also caught six passes for 106 yards and two touchdowns. The former Bills teammates combined to give the Rams two 100-yard receivers in a game for the first time since 2006.With running back Todd Gurley running and catching passes and young receivers and tight ends also making plays, Woods said there was more to come individually and collectively from the offense.“We’re putting up a lot of points,” he said, “but when I say more to come that is just consistency."

Psycho_X

Legend
Can't say enough how deeply important it is for these guys to buy into what McVay is doing and it happened in game 1. Having everyone expect results and trying their hardest is so important. The last couple years you could tell the team just expected to lose. Now, everyone is going to expect to get 100 yards a game. WRs are going to expect Goff to get the ball to their hands. Goff is going to expect WRs to come down with any throw he lobs their way. Gurley is going to expect the offense to give him opportunities to score every game. Just makes everyone give it their all every play. So refreshing to see again. You can just see this young offense starting to trust each other and believe in what they are doing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Woods credits McVay’s scheme and play-calling — especially the effective use of play-action fakes and passes — for confusing defenses.“Throughout the game, you just have a sense of, ‘They don’t know what we’re doing,’ ” he said, adding, “When you’re running a route and you see guys running the opposite way, it’s a good feeling.”

^ How good is that quote for Rams fans to see. Seriously.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Woods is exceeding even my expectations.

I expected solid and dependable. Good hands and good blocking.

Well, he'd doing a helluva lot more than that, huh?

Hot Damn!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The element of surprise is absolutely crucial no matter how good you are, in football or in war. The offense last year was as predictable to other teams as it was complicated and difficult for the Rams to run. What a combination...

Fisher actually said that being good was when the other team knew what you were going to run and couldn't stop it. In my opinion this is a completely wrong philosophy. Of course power is an advantage, but the only reason to be predictable is to set up an unexpected variation on a play.

McVay gets it and excels at that. It only takes a moment of indecision or misdirection for an NFL defense to be unable to stop a well executed play. (Unfortunately, our D has been demonstrating that pretty thoroughly so far this year.) The variations off plays we are running this year I think will continue to succeed because, however much film or analysis or coaching beforehand, if the players on the defensive field are in doubt at the moment the play unfolds the advantage goes to our offense.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Every word out of Woods mouth sounds commensurate with his salary.
He sounds like a total professional.

Two other things I like about him;
Belicheat wanted him.

Woods chose the Rams over the Patriots.

Gotta love it!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

“It was a good shot, a good hit, that’s part of the game,” said Woods, who immediately leaped to his feet. “Don’t let them see you feel it and just pop right up.“He definitely got me, but you just can’t let him know.”

Toughness :lifting:

Ram65

Legend
I liked the Woods signing. Surprised about last week. Glad he came back with 108 yard game. Nice catches. He sparked the team last week and then Watlins added another spark. Great to have multi weapons for Goff.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Woods is exceeding even my expectations.

I expected solid and dependable. Good hands and good blocking.

Well, he'd doing a helluva lot more than that, huh?

Hot Damn!
Woods was great in game 3, but hurt Rams massively in game 2.
I hope that game 2 was a turning point and boneheaded plays don't reappear.

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_5630.JPG
    IMG_5630.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 77