Report: Dolphins owner says L.A. will get NFL team ‘certainly within five years’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/31/dolphins-owner-thinks-nfl-team-los-angeles/?eref=sihp

By Marc Weinreich

Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross said on Saturday at the NFL Career Development Symposium in Philadelphia that the city of Los Angeles will get an NFL team — not an expansion team, and not the Dolphins — within the next five years, according to a tweet from The Wall Street Journal’s Kevin Clark.

In a report from Dan Hanzus of NFL.com, Ross was quoted at length talking about the NFL being “very concentrated” on launching a team in Los Angeles:

“It’s not as simple as finding a place and putting a stadium there. I think a lot of teams would like to be there, and certain teams should be there, and I think the NFL is very concentrated on getting a team in the L.A. market … It’s about finding the site, building the stadium, getting the approvals and moving on. I think that’s one of the great priorities of the NFL.”

Ross said before purchasing the Miami franchise in 2008, he gave some thought toward working on building a stadium in Los Angeles.

The speculation from Ross is hardly new, however, as numerous sources close to the league and executives within the NFL have talked about the possibility in recent years. Last July, longtime Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said it’s a “black eye” for the NFL to not have a league in such a large market like Los Angeles. Jones said the league is “closer than ever” to having perhaps one or two teams back in the city, a throwback to the days when the Rams and Raiders were there until 1994.

Tags: Los Angeles, Miami Dolphins, NFL, Steve Ross

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kill_it_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ow! Ow! Why is Scotty hitting me?!

I would have put it in the last thread we had about L.A., but I couldn't find it.

For the record, my viewpoint on this matter is that:

1. L.A. will eventually get SOME team.
2. It's POSSIBLE that that team will be the Rams, but unless St. Louis screws up, they are keeping the team.
3. While part of me would be happy with the move back, there are some real quality St. Louisans amongst the Rams fanbase here that I would really be sad to lose.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Exactly lol

I will counter that prediction by a "they will not." What a tool.
Why is he (and hopefully not I) a tool? The Rams weren't even mentioned. I posted this because there was that thread a while back about how the city councilman in L.A. had given up hope.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Why is he (and hopefully not I) a tool? The Rams weren't even mentioned. I posted this because there was that thread a while back about how the city councilman in L.A. had given up hope.

You serious? Who the heck else is stirring the pot that boldly besides the LA media? That's why.

We just read LA negotiations are cold as ever and he comes out and says this? He's a tool.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
You serious? Who the heck else is stirring the pot that boldly besides the LA media? That's why.

We just read LA negotiations are cold as ever and he comes out and says this? He's a tool.
So saying nothing will happen is okay, and saying something will happen is being a tool?

Given that he said it won't be the Dolphins, the dude has no dog in the fight, so how on Earth can what he said be considered pot stirring?

moklerman

Warner-phile

Jerry Jones has said similar things and I'd imagine, the owners in the league might have a better feel for the situation than most of us. Why you'd react with such venom is puzzling.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
So saying nothing will happen is okay, and saying something will happen is being a tool?

Given that he said it won't be the Dolphins, the dude has no dog in the fight, so how on Earth can what he said be considered pot stirring?

There isn't a defense to be had, boffo. He basically assured the media that LA would have a team within 5 years. That's bold beyond forgiveness! Of all the bickers you like to have with me, I'm surprised u chose this one. You gotta pick your battles, dude. There's no victory to be had unless your goal is to stir the pot. Don't be like the tool from MIA, please. I have enough crap storms to focus on. Lol

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Jerry Jones has said similar things and I'd imagine, the owners in the league might have a better feel for the situation than most of us. Why you'd react with such venom is puzzling.

Pfff... he's like the king of tools. So, yeah, that figures.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
There isn't a defense to be had, boffo. He basically assured the media that LA would have a team within 5 years. That's bold beyond forgiveness! Of all the bickers you like to have with me, I'm surprised u chose this one. You gotta pick your battles, dude. There's no victory to be had unless your goal is to stir the pot. Don't be like the tool from MIA, please. I have enough crap storms to focus on. Lol
I can absolutely understand a St. Louis fan saying that he doesn't think the Rams will be that team to move. I even admitted above the odds are against that.

I can also absolutely understand a St. Louis fan getting their dander up if what was being said was something along the line of "Hur hur hur, St. Louis sucks, so Rams will leave that sucky city." I don't think St. Louis sucks. I don't think anything bad about St. Louis. I'd love to visit someday. And I think there are some great people there. No reason to think the Dolphins owner thinks anything bad of St. Louis either.

But to call the dude a tool and stirring the pot (and apparently getting ready to make the same judgment about me) because he thinks L.A. will have *A* team within 5 years? Why jump all over that? It's KIND of a bold prediction (5 years is a long time) but also an informed guess given his position.

There's no reason to jump all over someone just because they have a different opinion than you.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Pfff... he's like the king of tools. So, yeah, that figures.
Still don't understand the angst because an NFL owner made a bold prediction. Really don't see how you can determine if he's a tool or not until 5 years tells us whether he was right. Seems to me that you're predicting L.A. won't have a team within 5 years. How should that prediction be judged when two different NFL owners are saying otherwise? And Jones may be an easy target but he's arguably the most powerful owner in the NFL so I'd lend credence to what he has to say.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I can absolutely understand a St. Louis fan saying that he doesn't think the Rams will be that team to move. I even admitted above the odds are against that.

I can also absolutely understand a St. Louis fan getting their dander up if what was being said was something along the line of "Hur hur hur, St. Louis sucks, so Rams will leave that sucky city." I don't think St. Louis sucks. I don't think anything bad about St. Louis. I'd love to visit someday. And I think there are some great people there. No reason to think the Dolphins owner thinks anything bad of St. Louis either.

But to call the dude a tool and stirring the pot (and apparently getting ready to make the same judgment about me) because he thinks L.A. will have *A* team within 5 years? Why jump all over that? It's KIND of a bold prediction (5 years is a long time) but also an informed guess given his position.

There's no reason to jump all over someone just because they have a different opinion than you.

The bottum line, those talks are at a stand still for several reasons. How can I make that more clear? He's wrong! But hey, I guess we'll just have to wait 5 years before we find out for sure. He should eat crow when he's wrong, but he won't, and that ticks me off. He got away with being a crap finger without consequence. I wanna throw a cow pie at him right now. It'd make me laugh like a ten year old girl while I did it.

I gotta go to sleep. If you post I'll just eat your face tomorrow. Night, bro!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The bottum line, those talks are at a stand still for several reasons. How can I make that more clear? He's wrong! But hey, I guess we'll just have to wait 5 years before we find out for sure. He should eat crow when he's wrong, but he won't, and that ticks me off. He got away with being a crap finger without consequence. I wanna throw a cow pie at him right now. It'd make me laugh like a ten year old girl while I did it.

Sure, there are reasons that this process has taken so long. But that doesn't make his educated guess wrong. He could end up wrong, but so what?

You've still given no reason whatsoever why this opinion is so deserving of such bile from your viewpoint, unless the simple concept of L.A. having *A* team (not necessarily the Rams) offends or frightens you in and of itself.

It honestly comes across as if someone said "Robert Quinn likes pastrami sandwiches. What's a tool! What a crap finger! I wish I could throw poo at him!" Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Neither does this.

As I said, it would make sense to be mad if he predicted the Rams would move or insulted St. Louis. He didn't. So I guess I'm trying to engage you in some discussion to try to get some sense out of this.

And I prefer my face remain in its natural uneaten state, thanks. ;)

moklerman

Warner-phile

So you know that talks are at a stand still but the owners of the Dolphins and Cowboys are misinformed? Gotcha.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
These L.A. threads are tired and they never, ever, ever, ever, ever go anywhere.

moklerman

Warner-phile
These L.A. threads are tired and they never, ever, ever, ever, ever go anywhere.
Maybe so, but I don't think it's due to those of us who have a genuine interest. I happen to think that an NFL owner going on record for something like this is significant, not to mention new information. That the thread was derailed is no big surprise though. The same posters are usually responsible and they always accomplish their goal.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
If there was a policy about not posting anything, pro or con, about either the team moving or L.A. getting a team unless something substantive happened (moreso than an owner with more information than we have sounding off on it), I could back that.

I just hope it wouldn't be a situation where the earlier thread about the L.A. councilman thinking it's unlikely for L.A. to get a team is okay, but a thread like this is not.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If there was a policy about not posting anything, pro or con, about either the team moving or L.A. getting a team unless something substantive happened (moreso than an owner with more information than we have sounding off on it), I could back that.

I just hope it wouldn't be a situation where the earlier thread about the L.A. councilman thinking it's unlikely for L.A. to get a team is okay, but a thread like this is not.
Isn't it curious how that thread didn't have any of the usual problems?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm just making an observation. I'm not invoking any rules or rule changes. If people think THIS one is going to end up being productive because now some other high ranking person made a comment that may or may not come to fruition, then fine. Good luck with that.