Relive It: Rams Last-Second Victory Over the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-theres-no-way-to-know-if-kaepernick-scored/

Blandino says there’s no way to know if Kaepernick scored
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 5, 2014

kaepernick1.jpeg
AP

Which came first, the ball crossing the goal line or Colin Kaepernick dropping the ball? That’s the question that decided Sunday’s Rams-49ers game, and it’s a question we’ll never know whether or not the referee answered correctly.

That’s the word from NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino, who says there simply isn’t a replay angle that reveals definitively whether Kaepernick was still up and in possession of the ball at the time the ball crossed the goal line, or whether Kaepernick had already lost the ball, which was recovered by the Rams.

“We were trying to determine, where is the ball in relation to the goal line before he lost control of it? And it was impossible to tell from this angle because you can’t see the goal line. There’s no way to get that perspective,” Blandino said as he ran through all the replay angles on NFL Network.

Blandino says it’s clear that Kaepernick lost control of the ball at some point, and that Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis ended up with it in the end zone, but it’s not clear whether Kaepernick had already extended the ball over the goal line before losing it. Kaepernick’s knee might have also been down; again, there’s just no replay angle that definitively proves it.

“Now, when you let it run a little further you can see the ball is out,” he said. “There’s just no way to know: Was he down prior to that? Was the ball breaking the plane? There was one other angle, from a high sideline look, where you can see Kaepernick, his upper body is over the goal line, but you can’t see the football. . . . There just wasn’t indisputable evidence to overturn it.”

When there’s no indisputable evidence to overturn, the ruling on the field stands. And the ruling on the field gave the ball — and the game — to the Rams.
---------
Saw Amber Theoharris on NFL Network talking to him when he finished saying: “not enough proof to overturn the call”, She replied, “Even with all those cameras, wow”

Refs are being paid and or have rooting interest and the more cameras there are and calls that are being made this year (magnified by the cameras) are just making things worse.

Full time refs or machines should make the calls.

This is becoming a joke.
---------
The one problem I have is:

I never saw one of those blue bean bags that you see when there is a fumble or interception. Then after the play is over you see Laurenitis jump up with the ball running around.

So, it seems to me like the play was never called a fumble during the course of play and instead was ruled a fumble after the play was over, which has to be overturned with indisputable evidence. I know there is no real easy way to call this in either direction and it’s over so, what do you do? BUT, I cannot understand how the official standing less than 10 ft from the play didn’t call it a fumble during the course of play but then rules it a fumble after the play is over.

There should be a method where the officials can get together and say, it was entirely too hard to see exactly what went on, and just because someone comes out of the bottom of a scrum does not mean that it was a fumble. So, in this case, lets play the down over.

SIDENOTE: I was watching on my smartphone through the NFL Mobile app so I could definitely have missed something, please don’t bite my head off because of that. Just explain what I missed and I’ll admit I was wrong.
---------
when you need a call to go your way at the end of the game against the rams you’ve already lost
----------
And the ruling on the field gave the ball — and the game — to the Rams…….and what a GREAT CALL IT WAS!!!
---------
If a receiver has to control the ball all the way through the catch in the end zone, a ball carrier should be required to maintain possession of the ball after crossing the goal line. It would give Kaepernick one less thing to snivel about, at least.
---------
Kaepernick’s statements after the game didn’t instill a whole lot of confidence. He admitted to both bobbling the snap and getting the ball taken away at the end of the run. (But, of course, he was 100% sure he had it when he crossed the line.) Next time he either needs to hold onto the ball for the whole play or they need to find a runner who can.
---------
49ers messed up and they have no one to blame but themselves. Should have kicked the FG and taken it to OT. IF theyTHINK they so much better than the rams they could have beaten them in OT. Thants the way the cookie crumbles. Glad to see the Rams won fair n square.
---------
There are lots of visual clues that can be matched up that help determine where the ball is at the last moment of apparent control. If they can’t process all of the clues to have a reasonable understanding of where the ball is in relation to the field on any given play, then they should upgrade their equipment to get better detail to make it easier and quicker to determine.

They have the power to take the time to piece together all of the clues more completely, or to upgrade their technology if they want to be more consistent, accurate, and quicker in making determinations.
----------
if you want the refs to call a touchdown, hold on to the damn ball. he bobbled it into a scrum of players, and the ball was out by the time he landed in the end zone – the refs clearly made the right call on the field. expecting them to just hand you a game-winning touchdown without clear visual evidence is absurd.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They should put something in the football that triggers an alarm when it crosses the goal line. Something tiny and durable. Then install a sensor under the grass along the goal line.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The best comment was the last one because it had truth to it. He bobbled in the beginning and lost it in the end. You can't expect the refs to gift you a game winning TD if it isn't clear cut.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They should put something in the football that triggers an alarm when it crosses the goal line. Something tiny and durable. Then install a sensor under the grass along the goal line.
How will that tell them if it is in possession?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-on-the-goal-line-limits-refs-replay-rulings/

Lack of cameras on the goal line limits refs’ replay rulings
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 7, 2014

tavonaustin-e1415402389494.jpeg
AP

One of the most fundamental questions in football — whether the ball crossed the goal line — is often the subject of instant replay review. Too often, there’s simply no replay angle that can definitively answer that most fundamental of questions.

That was the case on two different occasions in San Francisco on Sunday, as the Rams won with the help of two very close calls, one at the end of the first half and one at the end of the game. In both cases, there was no definitive replay angle that showed whether the ball crossed the goal line, and therefore the referee had to defer to what had been called on the field. In both cases, the Rams benefitted.

Most of the attention this week has gone to Colin Kaepernick’s attempt to sneak into the end zone at the end of the game, which could have been a game-winning touchdown but became a game-losing fumble. Kaepernick insists he’s positive he still had the ball when he crossed the goal line, but the officials weren’t so sure, and the replay angles were inconclusive.

But the Kaepernick play wasn’t the only close call at the goal line in that game. At the end of the first half, Rams return man Tavon Austin caught a missed field goal, started to run it out of the end zone, attempted to reverse course just as he was crossing the goal line, and eventually was tackled and brought down in the end zone. The officials on the field ruled that Austin’s forward progress had been stopped in the field of play, although the 49ers thought they had tackled Austin in the end zone and deserved a safety. Again, the referee said there was no conclusive replay angle.

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said in a video released by the league that there’s simply no way for the referee to make a definitive ruling if there’s no camera on the goal line.

“There just wasn’t anything definitive,” Blandino said. “Very difficult to tell from this angle, and we really need a shot down the goal line. Unfortunately, we didn’t have that. . . . With a goal line shot we would’ve been able to make a definitive ruling, but with the angles available it just wasn’t there.”

That raises a question: Why don’t the NFL and its network partners agree to have a camera fixed at each goal line at all times during every game? That would serve the referee, the teams and viewers at home well. It wouldn’t clear up every call — sometimes even when there is a camera at the goal line, it’s unclear where the ball is because players are blocking the camera’s view — but it would clear up enough calls that it would be worth doing.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-on-the-goal-line-limits-refs-replay-rulings/

Lack of cameras on the goal line limits refs’ replay rulings
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 7, 2014

tavonaustin-e1415402389494.jpeg
AP

One of the most fundamental questions in football — whether the ball crossed the goal line — is often the subject of instant replay review. Too often, there’s simply no replay angle that can definitively answer that most fundamental of questions.

That was the case on two different occasions in San Francisco on Sunday, as the Rams won with the help of two very close calls, one at the end of the first half and one at the end of the game. In both cases, there was no definitive replay angle that showed whether the ball crossed the goal line, and therefore the referee had to defer to what had been called on the field. In both cases, the Rams benefitted.

Most of the attention this week has gone to Colin Kaepernick’s attempt to sneak into the end zone at the end of the game, which could have been a game-winning touchdown but became a game-losing fumble. Kaepernick insists he’s positive he still had the ball when he crossed the goal line, but the officials weren’t so sure, and the replay angles were inconclusive.

But the Kaepernick play wasn’t the only close call at the goal line in that game. At the end of the first half, Rams return man Tavon Austin caught a missed field goal, started to run it out of the end zone, attempted to reverse course just as he was crossing the goal line, and eventually was tackled and brought down in the end zone. The officials on the field ruled that Austin’s forward progress had been stopped in the field of play, although the 49ers thought they had tackled Austin in the end zone and deserved a safety. Again, the referee said there was no conclusive replay angle.

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said in a video released by the league that there’s simply no way for the referee to make a definitive ruling if there’s no camera on the goal line.

“There just wasn’t anything definitive,” Blandino said. “Very difficult to tell from this angle, and we really need a shot down the goal line. Unfortunately, we didn’t have that. . . . With a goal line shot we would’ve been able to make a definitive ruling, but with the angles available it just wasn’t there.”

That raises a question: Why don’t the NFL and its network partners agree to have a camera fixed at each goal line at all times during every game? That would serve the referee, the teams and viewers at home well. It wouldn’t clear up every call — sometimes even when there is a camera at the goal line, it’s unclear where the ball is because players are blocking the camera’s view — but it would clear up enough calls that it would be worth doing.
This combined with sensors in the ball would make it pretty definitive if and when the ball crossed the goal line.

The only questions left for us squishy humans is whether or not the player was down before the ball crossed and whether or not the player had possession of the ball when the ball crossed. Although I do worry if sensors could be made that would not throw off the weight of the ball.

Walter

Rookie
That was the best video I have seen since 300. Wish I could suit up and join them. I also wish I was still in my 20's and in "football shape" instead of being the shape of a football.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry, James. I had to do it.
This needs an audio caption.

gif_gifsicle_80_ed2b795cfb.gif