Referee/Arch-Nemesis For Broncos@Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://media.denverbroncos.com/images/9008/Flipcards/141116_flipcard_Stl.pdf

TODAY’S OFFICIALS
Referee
............................................................Tony Corrente (99)
Umpire
..................................................................Dan Ferrell (64)
Head Linesman
.......................................... George Hayward (54)
Line Judge
................................................... Ron Marinucci (107)
Field Judge
................................................... Gary Cavaletto (60)
Side Judge
.................................................... Shawn Hochuli (83)
Back Judge
......................................................Greg Wilson (119)
Replay
.....................................................................Howard Slavin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Corrente

Tony Corrente (born c. 1952) is an American football official in the National Football League (NFL) since the 1995 NFL season. He wears uniform number 99. His officiating career is most notable for being the referee of Super Bowl XLI. He has also served as the Coordinator of Football Officiating for the Pacific-12 Conference since June 2011. He resigned this position in October 2014.

In 1995, Tony was selected to become a member of the NFL officiating staff as a back judge before being promoted to referee at the beginning of the 1998 NFL season. In his three seasons as a back judge, he worked two playoff games including the 1997 NFC Championship Game. Tony also officiated in NFL Europe working the World Bowl in both 1995 (Back Judge) and 1998 (Referee).

In 1998, he became a referee after Dale Hamer returned to the head linesman position and Gary Lane returned to the side judge position. Corrente worked the NFC Championship Game in 2001 between the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey and the 2010 AFC Championship Game between the New York Jets and the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Since joining the NFL in 1995, Corrente has been involved in 13 post-season assignments including 3 AFC/NFC Championships and as the alternate Referee in Super Bowl XL and as Referee in Super Bowl XLI between the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts.

Corrente's officiating crew for the 2014 NFL season consists of umpire Dan Ferrell, head linesman George Hayward, line judge Darryll Lewis, field judge Gary Cavaletto, side judge Shawn Hochuli and back judge Greg Wilson.

Corrente was treated for throat cancer during the 2011 NFL season. In the second half of the season opener at M&T Bank Stadium on September 11, he sustained pain in his head, back and buttocks after being knocked backwards to the turf while trying to break up a skirmish between Matt Birk and Michael Oher of the Baltimore Ravens and Ryan Mundy and LaMarr Woodley of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Based on advice from a former member of his officiating crew, Corrente took Motrin instead of Tylenol for pain relief following the match. Unaware of its antiplatelet effect, he experienced bouts of coughing up blood while continuing to use the drug for the following two weeks. After the discovery of a cancerous mass at the base of his tongue, he opted to eliminate the tumor through chemotherapy and radiation instead of having it surgically removed.

The seven-week course was performed at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Corrente was inactive from officiating during Weeks 13 through 15. He was able to referee the New Orleans Saints' 45–28 victory over the Detroit Lions in an NFC Wild Card match at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 7, 2012.

On Sunday, November 4, 2012, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Corrente yelled “God damn it!” (slipping past CBS censors) and other obscenities during the Indianapolis Colts’ 23-20 victory over the Miami Dolphins. Kevin Harlan of CBS Sports apologized for this act. Corrente apologized afterwards; he was fined a game check by the National Football League.

Corrente was named as referee for the AFC Championship Game on January 19, 2014 in Denver between the Broncos and New England Patriots.[

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You wouldn't think so would you? We'll grade them all once the season is over from a C to an F. Pretty sure not one ref will qualify for an A or a B. No, it isn't all their fault but seriously lousy refereeing has certainly not helped our cause.

You wouldn't think so would you? We'll grade them all once the season is over from a C to an F. Pretty sure not one ref will qualify for an A or a B. No, it isn't all their fault but seriously lousy refereeing has certainly not helped our cause.

Who gets a passing grade so far? The Seahawks ref maybe? After that I can't think of any.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

That was Clete"Oh, oh the Rams are going to blow them out, better step in" Blakeman. :mad:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Can't wait to see this^ report card!!(y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brad Allen did a good job. At least it's not Steradork or Tripledick or Carl Douchers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
At least it's not Steradork or Tripledick or Carl Douchers.

You left out Jerome Boger. I'm sure 49ers fans have some nicknames for him. Come to think of it the 49ers seem to get just as screwed over as the Rams. Equal opportunity incompetence.

Cygnus

Bringer of Balance
Name
Cygnus
Let me ask you guys a serious question....

Do you think Jeff Fisher being on the 'Rules Committee' plays a role in some of this?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You left out Jerome Boger. I'm sure 49ers fans have some nicknames for him. Come to think of it the 49ers seem to get just as screwed over as the Rams. Equal opportunity incompetence.

Booger is bad...but he's usually equally incompetent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Booger is bad...but he's usually equally incompetent.

I still haven't forgiven Booger for that Bengals game. He's probably the only referee I've been tempted to physically assault because of that stupid "fuck you" sneer on his face every time he calls a penalty on the Rams.

Alan

Legend
Cygnus with a question:
Do you think Jeff Fisher being on the 'Rules Committee' plays a role in some of this?
As I have to ask myself whether you mean a positive or a negative effect, I'd say no. Never underestimate the everyday garden variety of incompetence.

Cygnus

Bringer of Balance
Name
Cygnus
As I have to ask myself whether you mean a positive or a negative effect, I'd say no. Never underestimate the everyday garden variety of incompetence.
LOL you got me Alan!

Now when I asked the question, I really didn't care what type of role you think he has played.

Whether it be positive or negative but since you've brought up the distinction and then answered the question, I can't help but wonder what regard your answer qualifies?

Positive or Negative?

Alan

Legend
Cygnus conflicted:
Now when I asked the question, I really didn't care what type of role you think he has played.

Whether it be positive or negative but since you've brought up the distinction and then answered the question, I can't help but wonder what regard your answer qualifies?

Positive or Negative?
You might not have cared what I thought about it but you wouldn't have asked that question if you didn't think it had an effect. For myself, I think it had/has no effect at all.

The rules have changed pretty drastically the last few years and not all the changes are all that black and white. I laugh when people think there is either a conspiracy or some kind of animus between some of the refs and the Rams. Refs don't get any kind of effective training and there are so many rules that are hard to interpret like the tuck rule that they just frequently make mistakes. Especially at game speed. There should be a certain amount of reviews allowed each coach per game and the refs should be made full time and have to undergo rigorous training every year. Considering how much money the NFL makes, the argument that we're only talking about 16+ games over 4+ months is short sided IMO.

And most importantly, there should be accountability for incompetent refs which would require the NFL to maintain a certain amount of replacement refs.

See, now aren't you sorry you asked? :LOL:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
You might not have cared what I thought about it but you wouldn't have asked that question if you didn't think it had an effect. For myself, I think it had/has no effect at all.

The rules have changed pretty drastically the last few years and not all the changes are all that black and white. I laugh when people think there is either a conspiracy or some kind of animus between some of the refs and the Rams. Refs don't get any kind of effective training and there are so many rules that are hard to interpret like the tuck rule that they just frequently make mistakes. Especially at game speed. There should be a certain amount of reviews allowed each coach per game and the refs should be made full time and have to undergo rigorous training every year. Considering how much money the NFL makes, the argument that we're only talking about 16+ games over 4+ months is short sided IMO.

And most importantly, there should be accountability for incompetent refs which would require the NFL to maintain a certain amount of replacement refs.

See, now aren't you sorry you asked? :LOL:

Are you implying they go to full time officials?

I would like to see them go with younger guys as officials. Ones who can keep up better with game speed. Maybe even players who can no longer cut playing and have been cut? Someone like a Derek Stanley would come to mind..

PS Before anyone goes harping on me for age discrimination.. I'm prolly older than 75% here. :cool:

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think any official is our arch enemy...I just think that there is a large degree of incompetence among them.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
TODAY’S OFFICIALS
Referee
............................................................Tony Corrente (99)
Umpire
..................................................................Dan Ferrell (64)
Head Linesman
.......................................... George Hayward (54)
Line Judge
................................................... Ron Marinucci (107)
Field Judge
................................................... Gary Cavaletto (60)
Side Judge
.................................................... Shawn Hochuli (83)
Back Judge
......................................................Greg Wilson (119)
Wow, the NFL really needs to hire some younger officials!