Redrafting the Rams: 2010 to 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who you taking in this redraft?

• Ndamukong Suh

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Harrison Smith

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • DeAndre Hopkins

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Travis Frederick

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Khalil Mack

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Redrafting the Rams: 2010 to 2015
khalilmack.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/29/redrafting-the-rams-2010-to-2015/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 8 minutes ago

In this two-part series, we’re going to take a look at who the Rams chose in each draft over the past 10 years, and then evaluate who they should have selected. We kicked it off with 2005-09, and are now moving along to 2010-15.

2010 NFL draft
Pick: Sam Bradford, QB, No. 1 overall

Redraft: Ndamukong Suh, DT, No. 2 overall by the Lions

gettyimages-105133924.jpg

This was my original idea. Suh was a once in a generation type talent and while I liked Sam Bradford, he just didn’t face pressure in college with the amount of talent around him at Oklahoma. In the end, that probably wound up hurting him at the NFL level.

Suh, unlike Bradford made the Pro-Bowl four times, while also being named first-team All-Pros three times.

Just imagine the potential down the line a bit with Suh and Aaron Donald on the same line as Robert Quinn and Brian Orakpo (from the 2009 redraft). That’s just not fair.

2011 NFL draft
Pick: Robert Quinn, DE, No. 14 overall

Redraft: Robert Quinn

gettyimages-460110804.jpg

Nothing to change, what can I say? There is one player we could all agree on this pick being changed to, and that would be for J.J. Watt, but he was picked before Quinn in this draft.

2012 NFL draft
Pick: Michael Brockers, DT, No. 14 overall

Redraft: Harrison Smith, FS, No. 29 overall by the Vikings

gettyimages-454869656.jpg

While the love for Brockers is real, the love for Harrison Smith is even more real. Smith is one of, if not the best safety in the league. You know, the same position the Rams are attempting to sort out this very offseason? Sounds like a pretty good match.

2013 NFL draft
Pick: Tavon Austin, WR, No. 8 overall

Redraft: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, No. 27 overall by the Texans

gettyimages-184410392.jpg

Austin is one of my favorite players so it’s painful for me to replace him, but the bottom line is, Hopkins has it all and our redraft choice of Matt Ryan could use that kind of weapon. Hopkins really broke through for Houston in 2015, totaling 111 receptions for 1,521 yards and 11 touchdowns. He’s either on his way, or already is one of the best wide outs in the game.

Pick: Alec Ogletree, LB, No. 30 overall

Redraft: Travis Frederick, C, No. 31 overall by the Cowboys

gettyimages-455388462.jpg

Pick No. 2 of 2013 here. Ogletree is the heir to the throne of former Ram and the team’s all-time leading tackler, James Laurinaitis. He is very good and could become one of the best in the league at his position, but Frederick is the best center in the league and basically has been, arguably since his rookie season.

The Rams start Tim Barnes at the moment. Raise your hand if you would take the 25-year-old two-time Pro-Bowler over Barnes. Everyone’s hands should be up.

2014 NFL draft
Pick: Greg Robinson, OT, No. 2 overall

Redraft: Khalil Mack, LB, No. 5 overall by the Raiders

gettyimages-458292822.jpg

G-Rob could end up being the next Orlando Pace or the next Alex Barron. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that he had no chance of getting redrafted back to the Rams here, and there’s two simple reasons why. Khalil Mack and Odell Beckham Jr. both went after him.

The Rams already had a home run pick in this draft thanks to the player they took at No. 13, but imagine if they could have gotten Mack or OBJ as well? That was a realistic opportunity on draft night.

Pick: Aaron Donald, DT, No. 13 overall

Redraft: Aaron Donald

gettyimages-497297440.jpg

Pick No. 2 of the 2014 draft. Donald was rated the No. 1 overall player in 2015 by Pro Football Focus so that helps with the fact that there is really no debate here, especially factoring in where the Rams were able to draft him.

2015 NFL draft
Pick: Todd Gurley, RB, No. 10 overall

Redraft: Todd Gurley

gettyimages-491341068.jpg

A pick at the time that I honestly wasn’t much of a fan of. Not to say I didn’t like Gurley, but I worried about risking a first-round pick on a guy who was coming off a major knee injury. Looks like I was wrong, because Gurley isn’t going anywhere, and is well on his way to being one of the best running backs in the NFL. Can’t argue with getting Gurley, even if it took the No. 10 pick to do so.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I see No reason to change any of these picks! They where All the right player at the time, and I am fine with the way things have gone! Except for Bradford of course, I wish he had paned out!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I see No reason to change any of these picks! They where All the right player at the time, and I am fine with the way things have gone! Except for Bradford of course, I wish he had paned out!
I agree Dave. The two reselects that ticked me off here were Frederick over Ogletree?!!! And Smith over Brockers. I'll take our guys, thanks. Even Hopkins over Tavon. The former Rams would have misused Hopkins as well. Check back on this one in 2 years.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The only person on your list I'd replace is Bradford, and it wouldn't be Suh replacing him. That would be Earl Thomas.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree Dave. The two reselects that ticked me off here were Frederick over Ogletree?!!! And Smith over Brockers. I'll take our guys, thanks. Even Hopkins over Tavon. The former Rams would have misused Hopkins as well. Check back on this one in 2 years.
Trust me I love those guys but its kind of like my point was Quinn, Donald, Gurley aren't really replaceable you could argue the rest are. Honestly Frederick is just too good and Tim Barnes is too bad for me to say I wouldn't take him

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The only person on your list I'd replace is Bradford, and it wouldn't be Suh replacing him. That would be Earl Thomas.

Really? Over Gerald McCoy, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Trent Williams, Joe Haden? Hell I'd take Eric Berry over Early.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is one of my favorite recent articles.

Congrats, Jakebogen95.

Several things...

Three of the Rams 1st round picks were "perfect". Meaning that Quinn, Donald, and Gurley would have still been the picks in a hindsight redraft. A HINDSIGHT draft! That's unheard of, don't you think? Dang!

I was one of those laughing at the Cowboys when they drafted Travis Frederick at #31. Not anymore. Never wrong to take a player that becomes a "best of" at his position, is it?

Yeah, drafting Hopkins and keeping our 2nd rounder vs trading up for Austin would have been a better choice in '13. I don't think that's even debatable. Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing?

I totally understand the drafting of Bradford at the time over Suh. QB's always trump DT's. But Suh has been the better player. Not the better person, but the better player.

GRob? I understand the pick and the thinking. I still think he has Pro Bowl potential and at a premium position, at that. But Mack and OBJ have been instant stars and already have Pro Bowls on their resumes. So.....

All in all, those Ram 1st round picks have been pretty danged good. Six picks and nary a true bust in the lot. Heck, all six are quality starters.

Beats the heck out of NFL averages, that's for damned sure.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is one of my favorite recent articles.

Congrats, Jakebogen95.

Several things...

Three of the Rams 1st round picks were "perfect". Meaning that Quinn, Donald, and Gurley would have still been the picks in a hindsight redraft. A HINDSIGHT draft! That's unheard of, don't you think? Dang!

I was one of those laughing at the Cowboys when they drafted Travis Frederick at #31. Not anymore. Never wrong to take a player that becomes a "best of" at his position, is it?

Yeah, drafting Hopkins and keeping our 2nd rounder vs trading up for Austin would have been a better choice in '13. I don't think that's even debatable. Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing?

I totally understand the drafting of Bradford at the time over Suh. QB's always trump DT's. But Suh has been the better player. Not the better person, but the better player.

GRob? I understand the pick and the thinking. I still think he has Pro Bowl potential and at a premium position, at that. But Mack and OBJ have been instant stars and already have Pro Bowls on their resumes. So.....

All in all, those Ram 1st round picks have been pretty danged good. Six picks and nary a true bust in the lot. Heck, all six are quality starters.

Beats the heck out of NFL averages, that's for damned sure.
Thanks haha, I agree but you know what this shows? It shows that the "Snisher" era made a change in drafting. How come before them we couldn't draft to save our life? Now we arguably have 3-4 franchise players! Now that is something to be proud of!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Imagine how nasty our D would be if we took Mack instead of Robinson. idk if the staff would have taken Donald afterward in that case but Mack, Donald, Quinn, and Brockers would be lights out! But yea, you really can't be to upset with any of these picks. I'm not even sure we Hopkins would be a better choice than Tavon given our QB carousel at the time. At least TA could return punts.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It shows that the "Snisher" era made a change in drafting. How come before them we couldn't draft to save our life?
I think if you look at the majority of their picks it is obvious they like drafting BPA, regardless of need. That will generally land you more successful draft picks. GRob was a need pick.....

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Imagine how nasty our D would be if we took Mack instead of Robinson. idk if the staff would have taken Donald afterward in that case but Mack, Donald, Quinn, and Brockers would be lights out! But yea, you really can't be to upset with any of these picks. I'm not even sure we Hopkins would be a better choice than Tavon given our QB carousel at the time. At least TA could return punts.
Would you have made Mack a DE in our 4-3 system?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Would you have made Mack a DE in our 4-3 system?
With the way Williams blitzes LB and Safeties not necessarily unless you are convinced he can play well with his hand in the dirt.