Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How many TE in the league would you say are better? Sure we have Kelce, Hockenson, Kittle & Andrews on a different level, but after that?
I think he's middle of the pack to bottom third, somewhere maybe 15-20ish. Without getting crazy and nuking it to really nail it down.

We can do better than Higs I think. It's a good way for McVay to upgrade the offensive potency and if you take one of these guys this year he'll arrive next year assuming they hit on him, which gives us a nice boost for 2024. Unless we really get lucky and they get a top one, which, not saying I expect that but taking a shot yes I want to see that.

oldnotdead

Legend
They can see if they can transition McCutcheon into a TE. This is Higbee's last year and probably Hopkins as well. Long is a developmental talent much in the same way Higbee was. Long will have this year to be behind Higbee and show he can start. While they are coaching Long up they should consider coaching up McCutcheon who doesn't have prototypical length for a TE but he's a big bodied guy who could give them that pass catching / blocking TE they need in rotation. Lance is a X WR who lacks the speed to play there in the NFL. He looks to be too much of a long strider. That would be mitigated as a TE providing a chip before going out on his truncated Y route tree.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he's middle of the pack to bottom third, somewhere maybe 15-20ish. Without getting crazy and nuking it to really nail it down.

We can do better than Higs I think. It's a good way for McVay to upgrade the offensive potency and if you take one of these guys this year he'll arrive next year assuming they hit on him, which gives us a nice boost for 2024. Unless we really get lucky and they get a top one, which, not saying I expect that but taking a shot yes I want to see that.
I'd be curious to see outside of the 4 mentioned, what TE's you consider better? I'd have to say at worst, he's a top 10 TE and while we'd all love the best players at all positions, I dont know how reasonable it is.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They can see if they can transition McCutcheon into a TE.
Been awhile since I saw him play, but isnt he a lanky fellow? If any WR was to convert to TE I'd say its Skowronek. Got a thicker frame, probably would need to put on 20# though. McCutcheon IIRC was like 200# soaking wet

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd be curious to see outside of the 4 mentioned, what TE's you consider better? I'd have to say at worst, he's a top 10 TE and while we'd all love the best players at all positions, I dont know how reasonable it is.
Only 4 guys had more receptions than Higbee. Kelce, Hockenson, Andrews and Ingram. There are others I'd consider better, like Kittle who had less but missed time. But not too many. Freiermuth? Njoku? Schultz? Knox? Higbee is under rated mostly by Ram fans IMHO. Who are all these tight ends better than Higbee?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Although often injured Goedert has to be in the top 10 , maybe top 5 or 6
True. His production over his first 5 seasons, compared to Higbee's first 5 is a lot better. I still think Dieter is right though, Higbee should be in the top 10.....or very close.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I'll admit my football knowledge is limited when it comes to what kind of blockers a lot of these TE's are to judge their all around game.
I'm sure Jerry32 could break down the all around game of every starting TE in the NFL, that dudes football knowledge is impressive.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say one thing about Higbee.. he's been a 10-year starter and the Rams best tight end ever. Not sure why some people think we can improve in the draft. I mean... it's possible, but very unlikely, especially in the first year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Stats-wise, in 2022 among TE's, Higbee was fifth in receptions and ninth in yards. Seems like a good blocker too from what I've seen.

My take is he is a bit under appreciated
I agree, except that he’s seemingly always dinged up after about three weeks every year. That’s really my only criticism.

dang

Legend
I'll say one thing about Higbee.. he's been a 10-year starter and the Rams best tight end ever. Not sure why some people think we can improve in the draft. I mean... it's possible, but very unlikely, especially in the first year.
I am very thankful the Rams have had Higbee for so long. He is a good TE and at times flashed elite. But watching the last 3 years his impact to the game has diminished. And at times he shows as a “hands of stone”, plodding weapon. I’d like the Rams to get more bang for the buck at TE by drafting a real weapon in R2/R3 this year or next.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d like the Rams to get more bang for the buck at TE by drafting a real weapon in R2/R3 this year or next.
Agreed! And this will most likely be Higbee's last year, so this is a must. I just don't want him traded this year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I think Higbee is solid but due to being in his last year of his contract and him getting older, I think people are thinking get what we can. Definitely more of a thought process now that we know the 2024 is the year we will really ramp it up and Higs will be 31 years old with a lot of wear and tear. Who knows what the Rams plan is but at least it'll be interesting.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
If 2024 is the year they are going for, then it makes sense to draft a TE earlier rather than later. Like one of the 3rds or the 4th if they trade back. TEs take longer to develop and make an impact. So getting one now to take over next year makes sense to me. Unless they think Long or others will do so.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If 2024 is the year they are going for, then it makes sense to draft a TE earlier rather than later. Like one of the 3rds or the 4th if they trade back. TEs take longer to develop and make an impact. So getting one now to take over next year makes sense to me. Unless they think Long or others will do so.
Agreed. And I doubt they see Long as a long-term answer. He is a depth addition that adds some quality and maybe if we're lucky he develops better under this staff. But for purposes of the TE room going forward things are aligned for them to upgrade the quality overall by taking one of these guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, except that he’s seemingly always dinged up after about three weeks every year. That’s really my only criticism.
He's just been rather average in terms of his production and variance, and to what extent he impacts games. I think he upgraded us over Everett, who was more inconsistent. But I'd like to see a big target who is solid all-around that the QB can use as a safety blanket at a minimum. Which requires one of those guys who doesn't have that tendency to disappear. And I realize TEs are heavily tied into offensive utilization, impacted by players around them, etc. So this is definitely subjective.

That said here's his history with us, both regular season and playoffs. Once again I think we can do better, particularly when you consider that this offense is particularly good at featuring TEs when they're good enough to be featured:

1680972956125.png

1680973031350.png