Rams' WR situation seems tenuous heading into opener

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' WR situation seems tenuous heading into opener
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

The Los Angeles Rams are carrying seven receivers on their 53-man roster, tied with the Green Bay Packers for most in the NFL -- and that isn't necessarily a testament to their depth at the position.

Rams wideouts racked up the fewest yards, the fewest first downs and the fourth-fewest touchdowns last season. And the unit appears just as unsteady heading into the Week 1 opener on Monday night, regardless of the volume. Two of the seven receivers might not play, another might be hobbled, another has struggled with drops, another is a late-round draft pick, and the two best ones haven't produced like top-end receivers in recent years.

Here's a look at where the group stands heading into the Monday Night Football matchup against the San Francisco 49ers from Santa Clara, California. ...

Tavon Austin: The Rams gave Austin a lavish four-year, $42 million extension based largely on what his production could be. Austin is coming off his best season, which included 473 receiving yards and 434 rushing yards. The dynamic playmaker basically only touched the ball one time in the preseason, but that isn't any indication of where he fits in the offense. The Rams hope to double -- yes, double -- Austin's production and are being secretive about his usage.

Kenny Britt: He's the veteran of the group, having compiled 3,879 yards over the course of his seven-year career. His 1,429 yards in the last two seasons rank 50th. But it isn't all Britt's fault. The 27-year-old specializes in stretching the field for an offense that doesn't throw the ball deep very often, particularly with Case Keenum at quarterback. The Rams had the fewest passing plays of 20 yards or more last season with 35.

Pharoh Cooper
The Rams like the potential of Pharoh Cooper, but he won't likely make his regular-season debut Monday because of a shoulder injury.
Pharoh Cooper: The Rams are excited about their fourth-round pick out of South Carolina, a versatile receiver who can contribute a multitude of ways and is a menace after the catch. Cooper had already cemented himself as the Rams' No. 3 receiver, but he suffered a shoulder injury on an acrobatic catch in Week 3 of the preseason and will probably miss the opener. The Rams hope he can make it back shortly.

Brian Quick: Quick might not have even made the final roster if not for the Rams' uncertainty at this position. That's a crazy thought when you consider his projections upon being drafted 33rd overall out of Appalachian State in 2012. Quick has struggled to catch the football. His catch percentage last season, 31.3, was the eighth-lowest in the NFL. He had 32 targets and reeled in only 10 of those, then continued to drop passes during the preseason.

Bradley Marquez: The second-year wide receiver was in a walking boot after Week 2, but only missed about a week of action with an injury to his right ankle. He returned for the preseason finale 12 days later, connected with Jared Goff on a 30-yard pass play in the opening possession and hobbled back to the huddle. Marquez remained in the game and the Rams hope he is completely healed by the opener. Marquez caught 13 passes for 88 yards as an undrafted rookie last season.

Mike Thomas: A sixth-round pick out of Southern Miss, Thomas compiled 52 receiving yards in the preseason, hauling in four of his 10 targets. Listed at 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, Thomas is good at catching passes in traffic. He became one of the country's most productive amateur receivers after leaving junior college, finishing 2015 with 71 catches for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Nelson Spruce: The Rams -- and their fans -- are excited about Spruce, a possession receiver who flashed his ability to create space and secure catches by racking up a team-best 51 yards and a touchdown in the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys. But Spruce also sprained his knee in that game and hasn't practiced with the team since, though he has done some light work on his own. Upon return, Spruce could become a focal point of the offense. But he'll likely sit out Week 1.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We need Spruuuuuuuuuuuuuuse! ASAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

fearsomefour

Legend
So, the implication is that the Rams over paid for Austin. One could just as easily say Austin compiled nearly 1,000 yards of offense and 10 TDs despite bad QB play and the OC having no idea how to use him in the passing game.
Catch percentage is a meaningless stat. Nice try though. When I did the post about Brian Quick I included target, catches and drops. Quick has a pretty high catch rate over his career. The worst on the team (going off of memory) was Britt. That is mostly because he runs so many more deep routes than the other receivers. Bad passes, deep routes, QBs throwing the ball away....these affect catch rate but not drop rate. Drop rate is what matters. This is just the writer trying to slant the article one way.
I suspect when the Rams run three WRs it will be Britt, Ausin and Quick mostly with Marquez mixed in. At least in week one.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Until the Rams get themselves a legitimate # 1 WR, a QB consistently capable of stretching the field, the box will be stacked on Gurley & our OL. One we are missing entirely, another is waiting in the wings while he learns to play under center and absorb the playbook. Until that day comes, teams will be daring us to pass the ball to unproven receivers. Keenum is a game manager with limitations in arm strength and accuracy, but he does have some skills, ... although coupled with quantity over quality for receivers, hope is what we are left with. This offense will have to rely on our OL remaining healthy, Gurley & Cunningham being exceptional, and wishing our QB of the future is ready sooner than later. At this point, ... a crapshoot. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is just the writer trying to slant the article one way.
I was gonna just post stats lie, sometimes...
I wonder where he's going with this? Like what's his agenda....
7 wide receivers...they probably want to cut somebody when everyone is healthy....but they also want to look at some guys with the bullets flying....should be an interesting game, since SF defense should be weakest in the secondary....Huge game for Quick & Thomas....Hell Bradley Marquez too, because I'd cut him first...

fearsomefour

Legend
I was gonna just post stats lie, sometimes...
I wonder where he's going with this? Like what's his agenda....
7 wide receivers...they probably want to cut somebody when everyone is healthy....but they also want to look at some guys with the bullets flying....should be an interesting game, since SF defense should be weakest in the secondary....Huge game for Quick & Thomas....Hell Bradley Marquez too, because I'd cut him first...
Probably just his opinion and sort of setting himself up for a "told you" if Quick is cut. Plus it's more of a story of a former second rounder is cut instead of a guy like Marquez.
JT said in an answer in his latest sniffle-fest he thought Thomas may be the odd man out.
Time will tell.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Until the Rams get themselves a legitimate # 1 WR, a QB consistently capable of stretching the field, the box will be stacked on Gurley & our OL.
This^ didn't seem to have too much of an adverse effect on Guuuurley Last year, and he'll be better in his 1st Full Year!!(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Probably just his opinion and sort of setting himself up for a "told you" if Quick is cut. Plus it's more of a story of a former second rounder is cut instead of a guy like Marquez.
I grew up with espn....loved the whole total sports network thing, 24/7.....Why can't they find a real football guy to follow and report on the rams...Look at the players...talk to local people...not just regurgitate the same stuff....and worse, bend stats to make a point....so it looks like you did research...anybody could see that during the preseason, Thomas was struggling but is an exciting athlete...one you'd think they'd stash on the practice squad until 2017, when he COULD supplant a struggling Quick...Or an under performing Britt... At least JT does a lil intel...I think this reporter was a soccer guy....

Athos

Legend
So, the implication is that the Rams over paid for Austin. One could just as easily say Austin compiled nearly 1,000 yards of offense and 10 TDs despite bad QB play and the OC having no idea how to use him in the passing game.
Catch percentage is a meaningless stat. Nice try though. When I did the post about Brian Quick I included target, catches and drops. Quick has a pretty high catch rate over his career. The worst on the team (going off of memory) was Britt. That is mostly because he runs so many more deep routes than the other receivers. Bad passes, deep routes, QBs throwing the ball away....these affect catch rate but not drop rate. Drop rate is what matters. This is just the writer trying to slant the article one way.
I suspect when the Rams run three WRs it will be Britt, Ausin and Quick mostly with Marquez mixed in. At least in week one.

He's talking WR production. So the implication is that Austin is getting paid like a top 12 WR? I think, while not producing anywhere near a top 12 WR as far as receptions, reception yards, and reception TDs. Still a lot of $$$ to a guy who hasn't proven yet to catch the ball consistently. Though the Rams were wise in extending him.

The implication is that the Rams are paying a gadget player a hefty sum. Though he's a dynamic one that's fairly production. 10TDs/year is nothing to turn your nose at, but until the WR production comes along...

Looking at that list, fact is, the Rams still have a bottom tier WR corps as the season begins. It's weak as hell. Britt would be a great #2, but that true blue, catch a 50/50 contested ball in crunch time, still eludes the Rams.

The WR depth is still soberingly bland and meh.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This^ didn't seem to have too much of an adverse effect on Guuuurley Last year, and he'll be better in his 1st Full Year!!(y);):D

Plus Gurley missed 4 games starting and played behind a sickly, chaotic OL for most of the season. Still, we were 7-9, we need our # 1 QB to get ready soon, ... and PLEASE Jeff Fisher, trade for a quality # 1 WR. I'd rather not wait another year to compete for a play-off spot when I can almost taste it right now. jmo.

fearsomefour

Legend
He's talking WR production. So the implication is that Austin is getting paid like a top 12 WR? I think, while not producing anywhere near a top 12 WR as far as receptions, reception yards, and reception TDs. Still a lot of $$$ to a guy who hasn't proven yet to catch the ball consistently. Though the Rams were wise in extending him.

The implication is that the Rams are paying a gadget player a hefty sum. Though he's a dynamic one that's fairly production. 10TDs/year is nothing to turn your nose at, but until the WR production comes along...

Looking at that list, fact is, the Rams still have a bottom tier WR corps as the season begins. It's weak as hell. Britt would be a great #2, but that true blue, catch a 50/50 contested ball in crunch time, still eludes the Rams.

I agree about the corp as a whole.
Specifying one type of production froM another is silly. It's like saying a RB with 600 yards receiving doesn't count somehow.
At any rate I am hoping this is the year we see better receiving production from Austin. Ideally more receiving and leave the rushing yards to our deep stable of RBs.
15 TDs for Austin this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I grew up with espn....loved the whole total sports network thing, 24/7.....Why can't they find a real football guy to follow and report on the rams...Look at the players...talk to local people...not just regurgitate the same stuff....and worse, bend stats to make a point....so it looks like you did research...anybody could see that during the preseason, Thomas was struggling but is an exciting athlete...one you'd think they'd stash on the practice squad until 2017, when he COULD supplant a struggling Quick...Or an under performing Britt... At least JT does a lil intel...I think this reporter was a soccer guy....
ESPN used to be great....been garbage for awhile now.
I would not cut Thomas either. Too much potential there.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I wish our o-line was like Denver's last night, our receivers would't be that much of a issue. They made that QB look really good.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Plus Gurley missed 4 games starting and played behind a sickly, chaotic OL for most of the season. Still, we were 7-9, we need our # 1 QB to get ready soon, ... and PLEASE Jeff Fisher, trade for a quality # 1 WR. I'd rather not wait another year to compete for a play-off spot when I can almost taste it right now. jmo.
Watch the "Marshall Faulk interview Thread w/ Eisen, Faulk thinks "If Fisher wasn't in the final year of his contract he would probably Start Goff, It would be the right thing to do. BUT! Fisher needs to see how his team is going to play 1st, under these circumstances, so sitting Goff for now is the right thing to do for now!"
That's as close to a quote as I can get it, and I trust Faulk's opinion!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Austin is certainly not the conventional number WR, but lets put his numbers into context.

here are the guys who recently signed big extensions and their stats before they signed those extensions.

Doug Baldwin 11.5m per year- 1,077 yards from scrimmage 14 total TDs
Keenan Allen 11.25 per year- 725 yards from scrimmage 4 TDs (injured)
Emmanuel Sanders $11m per year- 1,164 yards from scrimmage 6 total TDs
Tavon Austin 10.5m per year- 907 yards from scrimmage 10 total TDs
Allen Hurns $10m per year- 1,031 yards from scrimmage 10 total TDs

All things considered Tavon's numbers are pretty comparable. Furthermore those numbers look like the ceiling for alot of those players especially Hurns and Baldwin with double digit TDs. I don't think last year was Tavon's cieling at all considering how few plays the Rams offense ran and how bad there pace was.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Alden GonzalezAngels beat writer

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would not cut Thomas either. Too much potential there.
I'm telling you, I get an Ike Bruce feel watching him....as soon as he gets his confidence, watch out for him..he's better than Cooper imo....he's more impressive in practice...with the lights off, as I'll call it...he's more relaxed...and always diving around...

I wish our o-line was like Denver's last night, our receivers would't be that much of a issue.
They put that together pretty good too, huh? I actually think we're a better run blocking unit. They did something last night, they put 2 additional linemen in on some passing plays...talk about max protection....
and I'll still say, our wr's aren't worse than the competition...it's our QB....I'd say our receivers are better than Carolina's....they may have a lil edge at TE...Olsen is awesome...
Denver's wr's get all the hype...but they don't seem special...they get targets....on great looking concepts...misdirection's everywhere......against some great defense...their play action scheme is awesome.

All things considered Tavon's numbers are pretty comparable.
exactly....but I'm hoping all that running out of the "I" formation is over...too dangerous...plus we have a pretty good RB...just think...400 passing is around 25 yards a game...400 rushing is the same...give me the ole fashioned 1200 through the air...with 14 tds....

No wonder...bet he's pissed at how the season turned out...Go Doyers!!!:yay:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Austin is certainly not the conventional number WR, but lets put his numbers into context.

here are the guys who recently signed big extensions and their stats before they signed those extensions.

Doug Baldwin 11.5m per year- 1,077 yards from scrimmage 14 total TDs
Keenan Allen 11.25 per year- 725 yards from scrimmage 4 TDs (injured)
Emmanuel Sanders $11m per year- 1,164 yards from scrimmage 6 total TDs
Tavon Austin 10.5m per year- 907 yards from scrimmage 10 total TDs
Allen Hurns $10m per year- 1,031 yards from scrimmage 10 total TDs

All things considered Tavon's numbers are pretty comparable. Furthermore those numbers look like the ceiling for alot of those players especially Hurns and Baldwin with double digit TDs. I don't think last year was Tavon's cieling at all considering how few plays the Rams offense ran and how bad there pace was.

Out-freakin-standing post, well done.

Just because Tavon isn't doing it like a conventional WR doesn't mean he isn't doing it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'd agree. Our receivers have a lot to show before they can be considered anything but bottom tier. I do however, think even with Case throwing, they will show improvement and players like Higbee and Cooper will be huge for Goff when he moves to starter.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
The other thing about Thomas is his "Teams" work...that guy is always the first to arrive...