Rams won't have long-term success until they solidify O-Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's how I see this OL in an listed overview per OL position.

RT Prospects:
#1]Jamon Brown 6-4/330 24-3
#2]Andrew Donnal 6-6/310 25-3 (Clear Primary Reserve)
#3]Rob Havenstein 6-8/330 25-3
#4]Pace Murphy 6-6/310 23-2
#5]Micheal Dunn 6-5/300 {R}

RG Prospects:
#1]Rob Havenstein
#2]Cody Wichmann 6-5/325 25-3 (Clear Primary Reserve)
#3]Andrew Donnal
#4]Jamon Brown
#5]Alex Kozan 6-4/310 {R}

LT Prospects:
#1]Andrew Whitworth 6-7/333 35-12
#2]Darrell Williams 6-4/305 24-3
#3]Micheal Dunn 6-5/300 {R}
#4]Pace Murphy 6-6/310 23-2
#5]Rodger Saffold
#6]Andrew Donnal

LG Prospects:
#1]Rodger Saffold 6-5/325 29-8
#2]Andrew Donnal (Primary Reserve)
#3]Cody Wichmann
#4]Jamon Brown
#5]Jake Eldrenkamp 6-5/300 {R}

OC Prospects:
#1]John Sullivan 6-4/310 32-9
#2]Austin Blythe 6-3/300 25-2 (Primary Reserve)
#3]Jake Eldrenkamp 6-5/300 {R}

Would appear to me that this is a well balanced good overall cadre of OL'ers that should be fully capable of being solid this season. Do you see this different from me? Where & how?

Kinda nitpicky, Bonifay, but I'm not sure Williams is next in line at LOT should Whit be injured.

In the real world I think they slide Saffold over to LOT and insert Donnal or maybe Wichmann at LG.

Hell, I'm not real sure that Williams is even active on game day.

But maybe you see (or know) something that I don't? Very possible, indeed. Lol.

Ram65

Legend
That's the point, how fantastic were they? Run blocking was always an issue. They could never run the ball, and that always came back to bite them. Like you said, the defense was never great, and lack of a running game hurt.

On a side note, I would never say Aaron Rodgers plays with a great oline either

Marino had very good WRs too. He was a statue so his line gave him time in the pocket. I guess it was all came together in passing game, quick release, good protection and very good WRs.

Ram65

Legend
Rams won't have long-term success until they solidify offensive line

upload_2017-7-17_12-48-1-png.20563

Jared Goff was sacked 25 times over a six-game stretch during his rookie season. Robert Hanashiro/USA TODAY Sports

Alden Gonzalez

ESPN recently put together power rankings based on how each NFL team is positioned for these next three years.Insider The Los Angeles Rams finished 28th. That is, um, not good. It's not good because, well, 28th is bad. It's really not good because of what these next three years represent for this franchise. Thanks to heavy rainfall in a city that never experiences heavy rainfall, these next three years now constitute the buildup to the Rams -- and Chargers -- moving into their vast, opulent, $2.6 billion stadium in Inglewood, California.

The Rams -- 13 years removed from their last playoff appearance, 14 years removed from their last winning season -- want to become legitimate contenders as quickly as possible. Really, though, they want to ensure they are a playoff-caliber team by the time they move into that new stadium. ESPN's Louis Riddick, Mike Sando and Field Yates don't think they will be. At least not as currently constructed. They graded each team's roster, quarterback, draft, coaches and front office, and put it all together to come up with a final score. The result: 27 of the 31 other teams are in better position from 2017 to '19.

The Rams can't have that. They can't have a disinterested fan base in the nation's second-largest media market, and they can't play second fiddle to the Chargers in a stadium they themselves are funding. This week -- the last full week before training camp -- we're going to take a look at the five things that need to happen in order for the Rams to be a lot better than the 28th-best team at the conclusion of this three-year stretch.

No. 5: Solidify the offensive line.

This offseason, the Rams signed Andrew Whitworth, a 35-year-old left tackle, to a $36 million contract over three years. And they added John Sullivan, a soon-to-be-32-year-old who started one game over the last two years, to serve as their new center.

Telling.

The Rams drafted seven offensive linemen from 2014 to 2015, but not one of them has lived up to his potential so far. Greg Robinson, taken second overall in the hope that he would lock down left tackle for at least a half-decade, was traded for a sixth-round pick last month. Rob Havenstein, a second-round pick in 2015, is moving from right tackle to right guard after a down year. Jamon Brown, taken one round after Havenstein, is being tried out at right tackle in what appears to be a desperation move. The others -- Andrew Donnal, Cody Wichmann, Demetrius Rhaney and Mitchell Van Dyk -- are either gone or on the bench.

Pro Football Focus, an analytics-based site that studies every player on every play, ranked the Rams' offensive line 28th in 2015 and 27th in 2016, two seasons in which the offense finished last in the NFL in yards. Behind that offensive line last year, Todd Gurley averaged 3.2 yards per carry for an entire season and Jared Goff was sacked 25 times over a six-game stretch. Enter new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who replaces 30-year NFL veteran Paul Boudreau. Kromer spent the last two years coaching the Bills' offensive line, a unit that enabled Buffalo to lead the league in rushing in back-to-back years. He is intrigued by the Rams' group because it is still very young.

Kromer needs to get the most out of what he has, but the front office must locate the next wave of offensive linemen.

Whitworth is still really, really good, but he is now too old to be considered a long-term solution. Sullivan was a solid player before back issues took their toll, but it's hard to consider him anything more than a stopgap at this point. The Rams likely still need to identify a long-term solution at center, either in-house -- Austin Blythe, recently claimed off waivers, could be one -- or elsewhere. At some point, they also need to draft their left tackle of the future and actually hit on him.

It's a dicey proposition. Thirteen left tackles were taken in the first round from 2012 to '16. Those 13 have combined for two Pro Bowl invites, one each for Matt Kalil and Taylor Lewan. The proliferation of spread offenses in today's NFL has made it very difficult to evaluate collegiate offensive line play, almost to the point where it may no longer be worth it to take a gamble on a spot as difficult to master as left tackle. The Rams learned that lesson with Robinson in 2014. Soon, they'll take another chance and hope to do a lot better.

The success of Gurley and Goff -- and thus, the long-term stability of their franchise -- depends on it.

[www.espn.com]

Nice article but lacked a little depth. Could have given more projections and ideas for Snead and the Rams.

So it is possible the Rams will be decent at offensive line for the next two years. Whitworth, Sullivan and Saffold all solid veterans if healthy will solidify the line. Havenstein and Brown need to step up on the right side. Havenstein had a very good rookie year at RT so playing RG he could bounce back this year after a foot injury seemed to hold him back last year. Brown is probably the biggest question mark. Over the next two years the Rams need to spend some draft capitol in replacing Whitworth and Sullivan. They have to resign Saffold next year and get positive progress from Havenstein and Brown. Another solid free agent signing should be expected maybe two. The Rams made the first move this year to soldify the offensive line. They just have to keep process going year in and year out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Kinda nitpicky, Bonifay, but I'm not sure Williams is next in line at LOT should Whit be injured.

In the real world I think they slide Saffold over to LOT and insert Donnal or maybe Wichmann at LG.

Hell, I'm not real sure that Williams is even active on game day.

But maybe you see (or know) something that I don't? Very possible, indeed. Lol.

As you have identified I did not make the entry of who will be the top clear reserve for the LT position. Also I did not list Williams in the RT either. Do I think he is in line to be our future starting LT?? No!

LT is the only NFL position I feel Williams has a chance to hook up as a reserve period. I would prefer to keep Saffold out of any LT considerations but we all know if something was to happen to Whitworth for a period of time ... Saffold would slide left a few feet & start. I feel that Murphy or Donnal would be better short term options @ LT.

Hope that clears things up for you my friend;).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Go watch highlights on youtube.........he was afforded a lot of time.

I watched a lot of Marino's games back then, as they were always on TV. His line was ridiculously good as pass blockers. Couldn't run block for squat, but those dudes in pass pro were a damn wall. I recall him beating our Rams by winging that thing all over the joint in the 80s during the regular season, if memory serves we were leading well into the game too but he just wore us out with that passing game and the D was gassed.

And of course blitzing him was nuts, as he was so smart and had the wideouts to rip you a new one regardless. Not trying to take anything away from Marino, either. He was without a doubt one of the best QB to play the game, and had he landed with one of the top organizations of that era like SF he would probably have a massive SB ring collection and would be there with anyone in the conversation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As you have identified I did not make the entry of who will be the top clear reserve for the LT position. Also I did not list Williams in the RT either. Do I think he is in line to be our future starting LT?? No!

LT is the only NFL position I feel Williams has a chance to hook up as a reserve period. I would prefer to keep Saffold out of any LT considerations but we all know if something was to happen to Whitworth for a period of time ... Saffold would slide left a few feet & start. I feel that Murphy or Donnal would be better short term options @ LT.

Hope that clears things up for you my friend;).
Found this article that was posted last Friday.

2017 Rams Roster Preview: OT Darrell Williams Hoping For OL Upkeep
Does D-Will’s experience with the Rams allow him to crack the 53?
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...r-2017-preview-darrell-williams-south-florida

If you asked me what the weakest position on the Los Angeles Rams roster is, I’d cop out and the answer would be “offensive line”.

Sure, the Rams went out in free agency and added a few pieces, but there needs to be five guys worthy of starting, and more specifically five guys that can mesh together and play as a cohesive unit. OT Darrell Williams from South Florida (2015 UDFA) has a leg up on some other guys as he’s actually been on the roster in 2015. Williams appeared in five games with the Rams, starting none, though he spent majority of his time on the practice squad and IR with the Rams (dislocated wrist).
Roster Battle

With Rob Havenstein moving inside to RG, Williams will likely be competing for a back-up OT spot. The first-team tackles are likely firmly entrenched in Andrew Whitworth and Jamon Brown. Williams’ main competition will be Andrew Donnal, Pace Murphy, and UDFA’s Michael Dunn and Alex Kozan.
Expectations

Not much is expected out of Williams. At best he is likely the #3 or 4 OT on the team, and may not even secure a spot on the 53-man roster.
Chances of Making Final Roster (3/10)

In a camp battle between Williams and Pace Murphy, I likely give the edge to Murphy, though McVay and his staff may want to go a totally different direction.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Williams has a better chance of making the 53 man roster than Dunn or Kozan, but that's not very encouraging for Williams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Williams has a better chance of making the 53 man roster than Dunn or Kozan, but that's not very encouraging for Williams.
Would tend to agree with you here. This will make DW's 3rd TC thats got to count for something. But for DW coming off back to back seasons of being placed on the IR makes a bigger statement to me.Rams needed a back up LT in the worse way last season behind GRob but DW was unable to contend with the challenge of UDFA Pace Murphy @ LT, who came in & outplayed DW from the beginning of TC all the way through TC.

Boudreau tried to refurbish DW & flipped him to the ORT to try to earn a position behind RT Saffold & Havenstein (injured) with dueling it out with two other RT's in Andrew Donnal & Isaiah Battle. By the end of Pre season Andrew Donnal had firmly secured the reserve RT position. Battle was released & somehow DW was placed on IR for a an Undisclosed reason.

This UDFA OLT Micheal Dunn might be the Darrell Williams of 2015. Here's some of the comments I have found written about this OT. Dunn was a former walk-on. Started out as an OG with 9 starts moved to RT with 8 starts & ended up @ LT with 31 starts. Started 37 straight games. Was the Terps’ most reliable durable OT & the essence of consistency. Dunn is said to be an experienced player, decent technician & he’s got the necessary footwork. Here's what happened @ the end of his college career....injured his shoulder at the tail end of the season, which limited his pre-draft activities. Thus injury killed his draft stock. We will see what he has. Might surprise us.