Rams sign DT Dominique Easley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
OK! I now read all 118 comments on the Easley Hiring, But No One has asked our answered the BIG Question. In order to hire Him, WHO DID THE RAMS CUT!!o_O

Hopefully someone with character issues.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I can't agree with that. Similar player, yes. But he was closer to Mike Daniels than Aaron Donald.(although, Daniels is a quality NFL starter for Green Bay)

But there's no doubt he has talent. We'll see if he has the work ethic and durability to make use of it. This is a situation that could land him a nice deal, like it did Fairley, if he makes use of it.

To me that's just splitting hairs. Daniels is a similar player to Donald as well. I think them, along with Geno Atkins are all in that undersized interior rusher mold and are very similar to each other. Picking out small differences doesn't change the fact that they have very similar roles and skillsets.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Coming into 2015, Zuerlein's career average was 89.6% within 50 yards. Counting 2015, his career average is at 87.1%.

When I said he hasn't been there since 2013, I'm going on a year by year basis. It gives a better picture.

2012: 88.9%
2013: 96.1%
2014: 82.6%
2015: 80.9%

He's going in the wrong direction.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
When I said he hasn't been there since 2013, I'm going on a year by year basis. It gives a better picture.

Adam Vinatieri is known as one of the best kickers ever. His first 4 seasons?
1996: 77.1%
1997: 86.2%
1998: 79.2%
1999: 78.8%

He got better as years went on and kicked a couple Super Bowl winners too.

He has a career kicking average of 84%

Also, in those first four seasons, his % from under 40 was a whopping 78%.

Kickers are like a fine wine. They get better with age. Young GZ is fine.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
image.jpeg

tempests

Hall of Fame
Adam Vinatieri is known as one of the best kickers ever. His first 4 seasons?
1996: 77.1%
1997: 86.2%
1998: 79.2%
1999: 78.8%

Also, in those first four seasons, his % from under 40 was a whopping 78%.

Kickers are like a fine wine. They get better with age. Young GZ is fine.

You're forgetting that kickers league wide weren't as accurate 15-20 years ago. League average from under 50 today may be 88%, but for Vinatieri's first few seasons this league average ranged from 80-82%. His % from under 50 from 1996-99 was 81%, right in that curve.

I'd sooner compare GZ to his contemporaries.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You're forgetting that kickers league wide weren't as accurate 15-20 years ago. League average from under 50 today may be 88%, but for Vinatieri's first few seasons this league average ranged from 80-82%. His % from under 50 from 1996-99 was 81%, right in that curve.

I'd sooner compare GZ to his contemporaries.
But Adam is still around. It's not like I'm comparing him to a kicker who retired 10 years ago. And AV got better every year. Hell, his best seasons ever were the last two when he was 41 and 42 years old.

If you'd like, we can compare him to his draftees.

Blair Walsh- 85%
Justin Tucker- 87%

Not a whole lot better. Plus, Walsh missed a HUGE playoff kick from 34 yards! That would get almost any kicker cut.

Remember Mike Vanderjagt? Most accurate kicker ever, misses a 44 yarder to go to the Super Bowl and basically never kicks again.

What I'm saying is, you can't accurately judge a kicker based off four years. Unless they only make 50% of their kicks in their rookie year and get cut. He's done enough to win us games and if we had just an average offense we wouldn't be complaining about him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kache Palacio was waived to make room for Easley. Side note the Colts signed Winston Rose.

tempests

Hall of Fame
But Adam is still around. It's not like I'm comparing him to a kicker who retired 10 years ago. And AV got better every year. Hell, his best seasons ever were the last two when he was 41 and 42 years old

That doesn't surprise me. Better kicking surfaces now then there was in the 90s and he's spent the last ten years kicking in a dome. You remember what Foxboro used to be like? Tuck Rule game, AV hit game tying and winning FGs in a snowstorm.

If you'd like, we can compare him to his draftees.

Blair Walsh- 85%
Justin Tucker- 87%

That is who I would compare him to(GZ 78%). Under 50 yards, over 50 yards, overall, since 2012 they've got him beat in every category. They're both two years younger and they were undrafted. But I'm not really pining after other kickers, it's just an examination of where he stands relative to everyone else.

Remember Mike Vanderjagt? Most accurate kicker ever, misses a 44 yarder to go to the Super Bowl and basically never kicks again.He's done enough to win us games and if we had just an average offense we wouldn't be complaining about him.

Least clutch kicker ever. He was at home and indoors and that kick never came close. Slammed his helmet down after and picked up a 15 yard penalty. Lack of composure and professionalism.

I remember the Monday Nighter a few years earlier. Bucs led the Colts 35-14 with five minutes to go but Peyton came storming back to send it to OT. Set "Vanderjerk" up for a game winning 40 yarder and he missed it. Simeon Rice was penalized for leaping and he got another try. Banged it off the upright and in. Some kickers you just knew the pressure was getting to them.

As far as not complaining about him, even with Peyton and that high powered offense, every Colt fan noticed when he missed one.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This ignores the fact that Zuerlein hit 89.5% of his kicks under 50 yards in 2015 when you exclude the blocked FGs. Rarely is a blocked FG the fault of the Kicker. Not to mention the fact that while Zuerlein's accuracy under 50 was down in 2014, his accuracy from 50+ was the best of his career.

To me that's just splitting hairs. Daniels is a similar player to Donald as well. I think them, along with Geno Atkins are all in that undersized interior rusher mold and are very similar to each other. Picking out small differences doesn't change the fact that they have very similar roles and skillsets.

Eh. I don't see Daniels on the same level as Donald and Atkins. It would be like saying that you're splitting hairs between Blake Bortles and Ben Roethlisberger.(although, Blake might be that good one day) Another example would be Bruce Irvin and Von Miller.

To me, Donald and Atkins are two of the best defensive players in the game while Daniels is a good to very good starter.

I didn't see Easley as being on the same level as Donald back then. He had a similar game but Donald was a better finisher and a much stronger player at the POA. But in the end, who cares? If Easley stays healthy, he's an elite #3 DT if he's only Mike Daniels good.

…..

Legend
But in the end, who cares? If Easley stays healthy, he's an elite #3 DT......

Got to love how we've been handling the DT position. Bringing in guys, 1st round guys, to be our backup? Guys that have been humbled so their careers demand they be good little citizens, yet have the talent to have an impact. The staff wants very little drop off when Brockers and Donald need to get some oxygen and so far they've managed to ensure that. Love it.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This dude was lazy and argumentative with coaches in college too. I think he's a longshot to stick through camp, because the Rams' DL coach is not going to take his BS. He toes the line or he's gone quick.

I think its a little different when it comes to playing for millions of dollars though. I mean this is probably the time for him to play well so he can get paid.

TexasRam

Legend
Welcome to the school of Hard Knocks son.

Forget what is behind and push on to what's ahead!

Learn from your mistakes, don't repeat them and don't dwell on them.

Be a new you Bro. You are at a crossroads. Your Future is not decided yet, Now is the time to decide and Rise Up!