Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

View: https://twitter.com/Ria_Martin/status/1723506377136705873

The Burlsworth Trophy is awarded to the best college football player who began their career as a walk-on player. Bennett exemplifies the qualities of this award tremendously, as he started as a walk-on for Georgia, transferred to a JUCO, came back, and led the Dawgs to their first national titles since the 1980s.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Stafford is definitely the plan for 24/25 because of his contract.
Which is why drafting a QB in 24 makes so much sense. Let him ride the pine for a season and possibly take over the next
OTOH, if Stafford is in the plans for 25, why not draft one then and let him sit on the bench for a season? If he's there in 24 and Stafford plays both 24 & 25, that's two years off the kids contract and one season of play to decide to pick up the 5th year option (if he's a first round pick). I have no idea who might be available in 2025 draft and we don't know if anybody is going to develop this year and next in the NCAA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if a top end LT is on the board when we pick he's the guy. Simply because they have an investment in Stafford that they need to protect. And if we end up taking a top QB in the next draft having that LT in place is a big deal. So all around it's the smart direction, it just requires one to be on the board or the Rams to position for him.

If not then QB comes into play I'd think. But even then it seems to me that a top Edge would bring us more wins than a rookie QB. So I don't think it's a slam dunk. Probably comes down to who's higher on the board.

I want a top QB prospect behind Stafford. It would be incredible to have that. But I also want to see this defense dominate. I want to see investment in the lines so that if Stafford does get hurt and a game manager comes in he can look good distributing the ball without getting eaten alive. Lines aren't sexy but damn do they win you games and make the sexy positions look better.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think half of the Rams' desire to keep quiet on all this is due to them knowing they missed whatever it was in their draft evaluations. It is convenient for them that his rights to privacy jives with all that.

I mean they could easily say he is in rehab and leave it at that. Or that he's in counseling for mental illness. Or whatever it is, but then the questions would inevitably turn to "why and how" they missed that in their evals.
It's a lot easier to agree with a player to say "rehab" than some things we just don't talk about in polite society that have to do with mental health.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's a lot easier to agree with a player to say "rehab" than some things we just don't talk about in polite society that have to do with mental health.
If he has a specific mental health issue it would be wrong to give out those details. But I think acting like "mental health" as a broad term is taboo for the team to say is a bit much. In fact I think that feeds into a taboo nature which feels like something is wrong with him. It would be far better for mental health to put the term out there if a player is suffering from it.

That said I never claim to be some expert on this stuff, just speaking from a common sense type angle.

And back to the Rams I think the taboo path, if that is what is going on, makes things easy on them irt avoiding the question of how they missed it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If he has a specific mental health issue it would be wrong to give out those details. But I think acting like "mental health" as a broad term is taboo for the team to say is a bit much. In fact I think that feeds into a taboo nature which feels like something is wrong with him. It would be far better for mental health to put the term out there if a player is suffering from it.

That said I never claim to be some expert on this stuff, just speaking from a common sense type angle.

And back to the Rams I think the taboo path, if that is what is going on, makes things easy on them irt avoiding the question of how they missed it.
When I say "some things," I think it's a very specific issue linked to mental health.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I dont think anyone hated the pick nor took backlash more than myself
Alas, shit happens with kids and we still dont even know what's up.
The bigger issue IMO is that they dont even have a QB on PS
I hated it too.
Totally fair. And many of us had other QBs we liked on the board at that time. We'll never know... but Jake Haener was taken 1 pick before us and I'd put a little money on him being the guy they were targeting.

Perhaps the Rams panic sometimes when plan A doesn't materialize? (BTW, I'm in there was a 2nd shooter territory here, I know)
Like when Snead looked shocked on camera, like he totally didn’t expect the pick he just heard to happen and seemed to quickly pick Terrell Lewis?
Stetson Bennett sighting at the Ole Miss-Georgia game tonight.
He looked pretty good. If he was in rehab would he be able to leave to make an appearance?
I think if a top end LT is on the board when we pick he's the guy. Simply because they have an investment in Stafford that they need to protect. And if we end up taking a top QB in the next draft having that LT in place is a big deal. So all around it's the smart direction, it just requires one to be on the board or the Rams to position for him.

If not then QB comes into play I'd think. But even then it seems to me that a top Edge would bring us more wins than a rookie QB. So I don't think it's a slam dunk. Probably comes down to who's higher on the board.

I want a top QB prospect behind Stafford. It would be incredible to have that. But I also want to see this defense dominate. I want to see investment in the lines so that if Stafford does get hurt and a game manager comes in he can look good distributing the ball without getting eaten alive. Lines aren't sexy but damn do they win you games and make the sexy positions look better.
I sometimes wonder if every backup QB in this offense is doomed. It seems to be one of the harder offenses to run. Aaron Rodgers said it was, so I’d take his word for it. He said it is nothing like the West Coast offense and it puts a lot on the QB. Does playing the role of the next opponents QB, every week, really prepare a QB to run a more technical offense like McVay’s? Goff started and he struggled with it at times.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I dont think anyone hated the pick nor took backlash more than myself
I know how you feel.

When he was drafted, I compared him to Johnny Manziel. Then, when he played like shit in preseason and I asserted that he was not ready to be QB2 and that we needed to sign a vet, I was called…what was it… oh, yeah…a “drama queen.”

Now, who was it who called me that?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

View: https://twitter.com/Ria_Martin/status/1723506377136705873

The Burlsworth Trophy is awarded to the best college football player who began their career as a walk-on player. Bennett exemplifies the qualities of this award tremendously, as he started as a walk-on for Georgia, transferred to a JUCO, came back, and led the Dawgs to their first national titles since the 1980s.

Stetson Bennett sighting!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When it came to Bennett I was like ok lets see what happens.As a Ram Fan(Draftnik-way back-all sports GM thinking) I’m like ok I sort of like the thought process.

His winning & the way he won a National Championship last season was unreal.I didn’t think he was that good & Cocky!!He was maybe maturing from the season before as well?

I liked Aidan O’Connell & thought he was the perfect pick for The Rams at that point & he has fallen into there laps as a nice backup QB with potential (upside).

There it is ! I’m not getting into THE DRAMA! Why The Rams LOST their season with Rypien! ?????

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like I said about Bennett is I’m cheering for him & think he might still be the better pick ? I like how he gets out of the pocket & can make things happen & see’s the field.

Rypien was the mystery? He was a scary backup & come Halloween The Rams should have been SCARED & even before that contacted Carson Wentz!!! Then again ???

What I don’t understand stand is Sean Mcvay’s Player Personnel Choices!!! In game he has to TaKE CHARGE!!

Zach Thomas comes to mind(Cinncy)
Pittsburgh First Play 2nd half.
The Dallas game bringing Mattew Stafford back in the 2nd half!! Actually when down 33-3 you have to see what Rypien has ?
Those are my thoughts & would have done. Noteboom is to me a quality backup LT. Zach Thomas is a guard.We all know that & at what point don’t you put Joesph Noteboom at LT?? In what world don’t you put a player in his sleep knows that position & doesn’t even have to think about it ? He helped The Rams get to playoff games & win a Superbowl as a backup starter.
The Steelers game ?? WTF - I still can’t believe after DOMINATING the COLTS!! I go get all Jacked up Rams winning 22-0. Comeback & they won in OT!! ???
—This is Sean Mcvay’s WORST SEASON as a HC Play Calling bar-non.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just have to stop speculation. Like I posted I am glad he is healthy & safe, don't care about the rest or if he plays football again. All of us will know soon enough and I am someone who was against the pick because of his arrest of public intoxication. I just hope Stetson Bennett is in a better place.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just have to stop speculation. Like I posted I am glad he is healthy & safe, don't care about the rest or if he plays football again. All of us will know soon enough and I am someone who was against the pick because of his arrest of public intoxication. I just hope Stetson Bennett is in a better place.
I hated the pick but feel the same way.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hated the pick but feel the same way.

Well did you see The Rams Draft(2) on how The Rams felt about the pick ?

I can’t predict the future,but to think The Rams are not going to have him during OTA’s next season would seem like this was all for not!!!

IMO there is No Doubt he will be a Ram come 2024!!! He means to much to the organization,because of there beliefs & love for there players.

The only question mark is how much it means to Stinson who you have to think means The World to him.
especially with all the support the organization is giving to him
& respect to him as a person.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The only question mark is how much it means to Stinson who you have to think means The World to him.
especially with all the support the organization is giving to him
& respect to him as a person.
Not sure about that, but again, we will know soon enough. Again all that matters is, if Bennett is healthy, mentally & physically. If football is the spark, that takes him down that long & winding road, then he might have to walk away, but regardless, we will know well in advance.

Whatever he decides, I will hope for the very best for him.