Rams schedule formal interviews with QB's.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
UCLA QB Brett Hundley, Baylor QB Bryce Petty, and Oregon State QB Sean Mannion have formal interviews set up with Rams.

via Nick Wagoner on Twitter.

Athos

Legend
Please, please, please no on Mannion. Don't waste a pick.

Hundley......only in a trade down and extra 2nd.

Really sad though that those are basically their options. Well, should be Grayson instead of Mannion, but...

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Really sad though that those are basically their options. Well, should be Grayson instead of Mannion, but...
I kind of like the idea of trading up in the 2nd round to grab Hundley. Obviously, only if they feel like he might not be there at pick 41.

What could be interesting is assuming Winston goes #1, and Mariota slips and the Jets at 6 are on the clock, would the Rams try and make a deal for him? Unlikely to happen in my opinion, but it's a thought.

thehammer

Rookie

we have to agree to diagree on Mannion. Born leader...off the charts character and throws a great deep ball
received a 3rd rd grade last year.....I always take a players best season in evaluating them except for some special extenuating reason

IMO will be a fast riser and well worth the Rams 3rd rd pick

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Petty has everything you want, just needs time but so will Mariota. And of course given their hiring of QB coach I think Carden is gonna be in play as well. Will be interesting to see what his height comes out at.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
we have to agree to diagree on Mannion. Born leader...off the charts character and throws a great deep ball
received a 3rd rd grade last year.....I always take a players best season in evaluating them except for some special extenuating reason

^ this is 100%
he is the type of QB that fits the mold we are looking for, tall, tough, and good arm
these are all developmental guys anyway, but Mannion is a great fit for us

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I have been of the opinion that all these QBs will go higher than expected. There are just too many teams that have a need, supply and demand will push them higher than they should go IMO.

jjab360

Legend
Not sure why Mannion gets such a bad rap, he's one of only a few QBs in this draft with starter potential. Just look at some of these throws:

Still wouldn't take him higher than the 4th at this point, but there's potential there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Does he remind of you of Glennon at all, except that he's a coaches kid, and a better leader?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure why Mannion gets such a bad rap, he's one of only a few QBs in this draft with starter potential. Just look at some of these throws:

Still wouldn't take him higher than the 4th at this point, but there's potential there.

Wow. Guy has a beautiful zip on the ball

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
My best guess is Mannion's their guy, best fit in this offense

I beleive it's possible those not in favor of Mannion may not have actually followed his career (basing opinions on media or worse yet "draft experts" opinions) and would possibly have a different take.

Well I've seen enough of his games (not film) to know he's a great talent.

Just don't see Hundley being a fit here, I still believe he will be 1st rounder and Philly is his destination. I'll admit I know nothing about Petty but that he came from a wide open college spread offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1. Mediocre arm strength
  2. Mediocre mobility
  3. Average accuracy
  4. Inconsistent feet
  5. Bad decision maker under pressure
  6. Spotty deep ball(often under-throws it)
  7. Four year starter with only one good year statistically
  8. Slow release

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My best guess is Mannion's their guy, best fit in this offense

I beleive it's possible those not in favor of Mannion may not have actually followed his career (basing opinions on media or worse yet "draft experts" opinions) and would possibly have a different take.

Well I've seen enough of his games (not film) to know he's a great talent.

Just don't see Hundley being a fit here, I still believe he will be 1st rounder and Philly is his destination. I'll admit I know nothing about Petty but that he came from a wide open college spread offense.

Nope. I've followed his career. I just don't think he's good. I watched him limit Markus Wheaton with his inaccuracy and mediocre arm when he was a freshman and sophomore, get benched for Cody Vaz as a sophomore, have a great junior year statistically in large part because of Brandin Cooks that got him overrated, and then crash back down to earth this year.

jjab360

Legend
Wow. Guy has a beautiful zip on the ball
Yeah, I thought so too. Jrry isn't too high on him but I think this is one of only a few mid round QBs that have a shot at making it. Here's another video of him in a QB skills competition with Shane Carden and Brandon Bridge. You can clearly see the difference between him and the other two, Carden who didn't even have enough arm strength to get anywhere near the last target 30 yards away and Bridge who's crazy raw with a quirky throwing motion and inconsistent accuracy. You can clearly see why the other two have a ceiling as a backup in the NFL, but with Mannion there might just be a chance imo.

thehammer

Rookie
Does he remind of you of Glennon at all, except that he's a coaches kid, and a better leader?
Halliday reminds me of Glennon....Mannion is a cross between Matt Schaub and Carson Palmer. very high floor....but his slow feet will decide his ceiling...if he can speed up his footwork could be a very good starting qb IMO

will state if I followed him any closer he would get a restraining order on me as a stalker. Oozes leadership...lot of less talented qb's have taken their teams to super bowls

but the dude seriously needs to do some yoga/plyometrics

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My 2 cents

Mannion looks like a worthy project to me. Needs to work on those drop back/pocket/throwing mechanics though.
At 6'5" 225 looks to me like he could add some more weight/muscle to his frame. His legs look frail to me.
Interesting prospect.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Mannion looks good enough when compared to the rest of the second tier group out there. I don't like how stiff he looks but, then again I don't like that Bryce Petty is a spread QB, Hundley is limited mentally, and Carden just has a weak inaccurate arm.

As much as I would like to say there is a perfect prospect out there, there isn't. The Rams got themselves into a pickle where they are likely picking these types every year for years to come until the hit on one.

Just remember Russell Wilson and Tom Brady were not regarded as great QB prospects. They each had their negatives similar to this same bunch. Lets just hope the Rams can get onto one like them.

thehammer

Rookie
I think Mannion looks good enough when compared to the rest of the second tier group out there. I don't like how stiff he looks but, then again I don't like that Bryce Petty is a spread QB, Hundley is limited mentally, and Carden just has a weak inaccurate arm.

As much as I would like to say there is a perfect prospect out there, there isn't. The Rams got themselves into a pickle where they are likely picking these types every year for years to come until the hit on one.

Just remember Russell Wilson and Tom Brady were not regarded as great QB prospects. They each had their negatives similar to this same bunch. Lets just hope the Rams can get onto one like them.

just to get things in perspective I went back and watched an Aaron Rodgers games vs Texas tech and an Eli manning game(forget whom) as college players and both look nothing like the players they developed into..all players have holes in their games...spotting the holes is easy figuring out who will overcome their holes is entirely a different matter

Mannion had 8 int last year with 36 sacks..an astounding feat. Winston had something like 17 sacks and 20+int last year?
Mannion int ratio dropped ever year he played to under 2% his senior year..Brady/Peyton manning type numbers while still throwing a 2:1 td to int ratio

at worst a Sean Hill 10 year backup in the league...and a great game manager..if he can gain .1 or .2 sec in his delivery has Carson Palmer type ceiling