Rams Rookie Preview: Cody Wichmann, Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's just my Opinion.....solid Ram master roster prospective OL'ers:

#1-OLG-Saffold
#2-OLT-Robinson
#3-OC-Barnes
#4-ORT-Havenstein
#5-ORG-Brown

#6-OC/OLG/OLT-Jones,Left Side Game Day Reserve fill the void 2014 Mike Person role.
#7-ORG/ORT-Reynolds,Right side Game Day Reserve fill the void 2014 Davin Joseph role.

#8-ORT/OLT-Donnal,Barrett Jones's backup left side
#9-ORG/ORT-Wichmann,Reynolds back up right side

Solid Practice Squad material:
#10-OC-Rhaney
#11-OLT-Darrell Williams

P.S.Note- Fisher does have some history as the Rams HC to have as much as 11 OL'ers on the 53 player master roster & as low as 8 like last yr at times. Normally Fisher runs a 10 to 9 OL'ers in number.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see Barnes as the odd man out. Only hope he has is injury to Jones or Rhaney. Dude is just not starter material, and if he ends up with the job it's bad for the line.

Jones' ability to play different spots might work against him. I could see him in the valuable #6 OL role as first guy off the bench because he can play so many spots (C, OG, RT). But only way they do that is if Rhaney absolutely kills it. In that event it puts Jones in competition with Reynolds and in that competition I do think Reynolds experience wins out but you never know.

My guess...

LT: GRob
LG: Saffold (I prefer him at RG but whatever)
C: Rhaney
RG: Jones
RT: HStein

1st backup OG/RT: Reynolds
1st backup C: Jones
1st backup LT: Saffold

I think Jones should be the best option for center, but Rhaney holding down center and Jones solidifying RG is a better overall structure for the OL. Lots of different ways this thing can shake out, so it is by far the most exciting positional battle for this camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see Barnes as the odd man out. Only hope he has is injury to Jones or Rhaney. Dude is just not starter material, and if he ends up with the job it's bad for the line.

Jones' ability to play different spots might work against him. I could see him in the valuable #6 OL role as first guy off the bench because he can play so many spots (C, OG, RT). But only way they do that is if Rhaney absolutely kills it. In that event it puts Jones in competition with Reynolds and in that competition I do think Reynolds experience wins out but you never know.

My guess...

LT: GRob
LG: Saffold (I prefer him at RG but whatever)
C: Rhaney
RG: Jones
RT: HStein

1st backup OG/RT: Reynolds
1st backup C: Jones
1st backup LT: Saffold

I think Jones should be the best option for center, but Rhaney holding down center and Jones solidifying RG is a better overall structure for the OL. Lots of different ways this thing can shake out, so it is by far the most exciting positional battle for this camp.

Interesting take there Merlin.

Boudreau has shown he prefers his centers to carry a heavy burden in those line calls.

Only big difference I have is your thoughts on Rhaney. Boudreau has two real good sized centers now in the 6-4 306 pound & Jones 6-5 & should be up over 310 pounds will make Rhaney who is under 6-2 around 300 look small. Those 45 NFL games under Tim Barnes belt along with finishing 5 games as the starting Ram center will certainly give him a seriously leg up over Rhaney. Barnes has been the No# 6th top reserve Boudreau OLer for 2013 & 2014.

Barrett Jones has skills, size & football brains to play any of the OL positions. Now fully healthy should prove his value & really push Barnes. If Jones can remain healthy he can be a long term answer to the future center post. I bet Foles & Jones will build a good relationship here. They have a lot in common. If Boudreau has two healthy centers in Barnes & Jones is there a real need to have Rhaney on the roster?

Finally..... you & I read many posts here where many think that Saffold played his best 4 games @ ORG in 2013....guess who played right next to him assisting him so well......Tim Barnes.

MauiRam

Rookie
Interesting take there Merlin.

Boudreau has shown he prefers his centers to carry a heavy burden in those line calls.

Barrett Jones has skills, size & football brains to play any of the OL positions. Now fully healthy should prove his value & really push Barnes. If Jones can remain healthy he can be a long term answer to the future center post.

Out of the five positions on the O-line, at which one of those five would one wish his smartest player to line up in? I am sure everyone here knows the answer to that one. So does Boudreau. If Barrett is healthy - the job is his to lose. Jones is more than likely the smartest guy on the entire team period. Hopefully we get 10 years out of the guy with multiple Pro Bowls. His health is the only question mark ..

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What an outstanding thread. So many knowledgeable posters on this important topic.

Here are my predictions based on deep, deep thought and my most recent tea leaf reading...

It goes without saying that camp and preseason game performances could change everything, but here goes...

We will probably keep 10 OL this year. The many uncertainties require it, don't you think?

I sense that Barnes and Jones are neck and neck for starting C position. Each has his specific advantages and it looks like a coin flip to me. Rhaney might be a candidate for PS.

Hav looks like a virtual lock at RT, barring injury.

We all know GRob and Saffold have that starting left side nailed down, don't we?

So that leaves only RG tbd. Could be Brown if he really impresses. Could be Reynolds if Brown, or all the other rookies stumble. Believe it or not, I now lean toward Brown. Even though that would mean 2 rookies starting on the right side on opening day. But I still can see a rookie such as Brown being an upgrade to the departed Joseph, even as early as opening day. And much better by mid season.

I think that it's very likely that both Donnal and Wichmann make the 53. Hell, one of them just might claim the starting RG position.

Based on Noregar's fine post above, we have at least 15 players competing for 10 openings, at most. So there will be at least 5 players to PS or cut.

How can that not lead to the conclusion that our OL has just undergone a significant upgrade this offseason?

Those few padded practices will be incredibly important for establishing pecking orders for all, and for those last 5 in particular. Competition at OL will be FIERCE.