Rams reportedly interested in Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I'm building a team, I'm utilizing the talent I have and the talent I can acquire. Basically, if Marshall Faulk wants to be the highest paid HB in the league and the Colts don't want to pay him...I'll happily pay him and take him off their hands at a discount.

If you're talking about a team like the 1999 Rams; void of superstars and big contracts. Of course.

But if I have other talent to pay, I'm keeping guys like Quinn, Long, etc. before giving budget away to a RB.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If I'm building a team, I'm utilizing the talent I have and the talent I can acquire. Basically, if Marshall Faulk wants to be the highest paid HB in the league and the Colts don't want to pay him...I'll happily pay him and take him off their hands at a discount.
If that is your philosophy, would you like us to go and grab Murray or AP in FA this year?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're talking about a team like the 1999 Rams; void of superstars and big contracts. Of course.

But if I have other talent to pay, I'm keeping guys like Quinn, Long, etc. before giving budget away to a RB.

If I'm doing my job as a drafter, I have the money to pay the guys I want to pay.

I'm paying a good/great/elite HB. Especially because they're devalued and you can get them cheaper than a top tier WR, DE, etc.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that is your philosophy, would you like us to go and grab Murray or AP in FA this year?

If we had the money? You better bet I'd say go get Adrian Peterson. But we don't.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That's if your offense considers the RB the focal point of your offense, however, Chip Kelly believes in three areas of strength the offensive & defensive lines along with the Quarterback position all the other parts are interchangeable.

Jorgeh0605

If we had the money? You better bet I'd say go get Adrian Peterson. But we don't.
Sure we do. Release Wells, Long, Move Quinn's money around, Draft CLong's replacement.

I'm not suggesting we do it, but it can get done. You could even suggest cutting Bradford, obtaining a younger QB like Glennon and signing AP. My only point is that the money could be found. Yet I think most people would agree that is a bad idea for this team because you don't break the bank for a RB.

Edit: Truth be told having AP on our team would be pretty sweet from a fans perspective. I'd still find a way to be excited if it happened even if I know it isn't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I'm doing my job as a drafter, I have the money to pay the guys I want to pay.

If you're hitting on the draft just go get more RB's.

Invest your cap dollars on the players harder to find and have better longevity; like that QB and WR you've done so well finding in the draft. (y)

ram007

Starter
Sure we do. Release Wells, Long, Move Quinn's money around, Draft CLong's replacement.

I'm not suggesting we do it, but it can get done. You could even suggest cutting Bradford, obtaining a younger QB like Glennon and signing AP. My only point is that the money could be found. Yet I think most people would agree that is a bad idea for this team because you don't break the bank for a RB.

IMHO, Chris Long should not be cut. He is too good of a player

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Finding money by creating more holes and pushing money into the future is not "having the money".

We could afford Suh if we cut a bunch of important players too. I guess you just don't pay elite DTs...right?

What you're proposing is a bad idea for this team because it needlessly creates hole and adversely affects our future cap situation when we don't have a need at HB. Has nothing to do with breaking the bank for an elite HB and everything to do with not blowing apart the team to grab one player.

That holds just as much true for Suh or any other top free agent. And it has nothing to do with the position they play.

Jorgeh0605

IMHO, Chris Long should not be cut. He is too good of a player
I'm right there with you, this isn't my plan. I love Chris Long's contribution to our team. This was just merely an example of how to make seemingly impossible FA moves possible.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're hitting on the draft just go get more RB's.

Invest your cap dollars on the players harder to find and have better longevity; like that QB and WR you've done so well finding in the draft. (y)

I will invest my money in a QB. But HBs have a bigger impact on the game than any other non-QB position. If I find a great one, I'm keeping him. Especially considering how few of them there are in today's game. HBs are replaceable in today's NFL because the vast majority of them are average. Great HBs are not replaceable. They make a huge difference.

I am investing my cap dollars wisely by getting a major impact player at a relative discount.

If anything, it would be a lot easier for me to replace a great WR than a great HB. But I'd rather keep both. Only so many great players in this league. You don't let one walk away unless his price tag is backbreaking...like Suh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's if your offense considers the RB the focal point of your offense, however, Chip Kelly believes in three areas of strength the offensive & defensive lines along with the Quarterback position all the other parts are interchangeable.

We're about to see just how effective Kelly's philosophy is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Invest your cap dollars on the players harder to find

it's not often you find a rb like adp. we all saw how good the vikings looked when they had a half decent qb, favre, with ap. they almost made it to the superbowl.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
it's not often you find a rb like adp. we all saw how good the vikings looked when they had a half decent qb, favre, with ap. they almost made it to the superbowl.

Sure if we're talking about AP and Faulk.

Are we suggesting McCoy is in their category? That's where the topic started; paying McCoy.

Jorgeh0605

Finding money by creating more holes and pushing money into the future is not "having the money".

We could afford Suh if we cut a bunch of important players too. I guess you just don't pay elite DTs...right?

What you're proposing is a bad idea for this team because it needlessly creates hole and adversely affects our future cap situation when we don't have a need at HB. Has nothing to do with breaking the bank for an elite HB and everything to do with not blowing apart the team to grab one player.

That holds just as much true for Suh or any other top free agent. And it has nothing to do with the position they play.
To be clear, I'm not advocating signing AP. What I'm saying is that by the sound of your philosophy on signing and paying elite talent, you should be banging the table for AP. But your not. AP is guaranteed a spot in the HoF and is the best running back on the market. And for all practical purposes we can go and get him.

But you don't want to and that seems to contradict what said about "If I find a great one, I'm keeping him". AP is great, shouldn't command the money Suh will and will almost definitely have a greater effect on the game. He is a relative bargain in comparison.

My reason for not grabbing AP is because you don't sink a lot of money into the RB position which is what @CGI_Ram was saying initially. And yours seems to be that you do pay for the RB unless you can't afford him (Like you claim the Rams can't). My point is that "can't afford him" rarely actually exists in the NFL. The only team that legitimately can't sign AP right are the Saints. Moving money around a little bit can free up some cap. Your claim falls flat at that point and we are pretty much back to not spending that much money on the RB position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be clear, I'm not advocating signing AP. What I'm saying is that by the sound of your philosophy on signing and paying elite talent, you should be banging the table for AP. But your not. AP is guaranteed a spot in the HoF and is the best running back on the market. And for all practical purposes we can go and get him.

Well, there's your problem. You don't understand my philosophy. I think top tier DTs that provide interior pressure are incredibly valuable and important. Doesn't mean I want to go out and use our limited cap space on Suh.

My philosophy is to KEEP OUR TALENT. I don't go banging the table to overpay every good/great player in free agency.

For all practical purposes, we CANNOT go and get him. You inventing a scenario where the Rams have to sacrifice other assets to sign Peterson is not PRACTICAL. If the Rams were swimming in cap room like the Jaguars, sure, pay the man. But we have limited money available. And we need to budget intelligently for next year to keep our homegrown talent.

There's nothing practical about signing Peterson.

But you don't want to and that seems to contradict what said about "If I find a great one, I'm keeping him". AP is great, shouldn't command the money Suh will and will almost definitely have a greater effect on the game. He is a relative bargain in comparison.

Keyword is "keep". Meaning that I already had him.

Don't make excuses here. Your logic applies just as much to Peterson as Suh. Do you not think DTs are valuable and worth paying if you're not willing to drop everything to sign Suh? We both know the answer to the question.

My reason for not grabbing AP is because you don't sink a lot of money into the RB position which is what @CGI_Ram was saying initially. And yours seems to be that you do pay for the RB unless you can't afford him (Like you claim the Rams can't). My point is that "can't afford him" rarely actually exists in the NFL. The only team that legitimately can't sign AP right are the Saints. Moving money around a little bit can free up some cap. Your claim falls flat at that point and we are pretty much back to not spending that much money on the RB position.

Well, I think your reasoning is poor.

My point is that you don't sign FAs that you can't afford. You keep your own homegrown talent and then you use the money you have for free agency intelligently. Which rarely means spending big unless you've got a ton of cap room. If you have a great HB, you pay the man. Because it's worth it.

I'll state again that the HB position has the second biggest impact on team success of any position except QB. Look at Adrian Peterson and the Vikings in 2012 for an example of that. Peterson was the difference in at least 5 wins that year. Without him, the Vikings would have been a bad football team rather than a 10 win playoff team. Look at the 2009 Titans, Chris Johnson was the difference between that team picking in the top 5 and them winning 8 games.

The on the field impact of a great/elite HB cannot be questioned. If you have one, you pay him.

My claim does not fall flat because you invented an impractical scenario where the Rams could sign Adrian Peterson if they sacrificed future cap flexibility and cut an important player like Chris Long or Bradford. That's exactly the opposite of any philosophy I have. Spending big money in FA that we don't have while getting rid of homegrown talent.

But since you don't want to do it for Suh, you don't think DTs are valuable...right? Come on, answer the question. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You don't get to claim that I don't value HBs if I don't want to create room we don't have for Peterson and then not apply the same logic to signing Suh.

"Can't afford him" often exists in the NFL. Teams foolishly choosing to create space they don't have is how you end up like the Saints.

Go ahead and dispute any of the logic I've put forward on the impact of HBs or dispute that your same logic applies to a DT like Suh. If anything, you're getting top tier HBs at a discount because the position has been devalued which is even more incentive to keep them.

A guy like Adrian Peterson will make a far bigger impact on your team than a Calvin Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald and he'll do it for $1.5 to $2 million less per year. Hell, consider this...Jamaal Charles is the third highest paid HB but would be the 13th highest paid WR. Is anyone really going to tell me that there are 13 WRs in the NFL that have a larger impact on the game than Jamaal Charles?

If anything, it's more economical to pay a top tier HB than it is to pay a top tier WR...especially when you consider the fact that top tier HBs have greater impacts. And yet nobody here is trying to claim that you don't pay WRs. Same goes for a top tier HB vs. a top tier LT or a top tier HB vs. a top tier CB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure if we're talking about AP and Faulk.

Are we suggesting McCoy is in their category? That's where the topic started; paying McCoy.

Nope. McCoy isn't in their territory. But he is in the very good territory and thus I'd pay him. Why? He's going to give you the impact that a #1 WR will at the price of a top tier #2 WR($8 million a year).

It's more economically efficient to pay a guy like McCoy than it is to pay most players. He's going to be difficult to replace and you'll get to keep him at a relative discount due to the position being devalued.

IMO, it's why interior OLs are such a good bargain too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't believe in Foles. Could be wrong. We'll find out sooner than later.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Foles showed his true colors last year....If he was decent, Philly would stay with him and fix that raggedy defense...