Rams: Ranking Remaining Offseason Priorities

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2462779-st-louis-rams-ranking-remaining-offseason-priorities

St. Louis Rams: Ranking Remaining Offseason Priorities
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist

The initial wave of free agency and the NFL draft are now complete, but the St. Louis Rams still have needs to address.

The Rams have a talented roster and will have a chance to be competitors in 2015, but it will take excellent depth and lots of training-camp competition.

If St. Louis addresses its final remaining needs, there's a good chance that the Rams will stir the pot in the NFC West. If, however, these needs are ignored, the team is in danger of underachieving once again.

The offseason additions are not over. Read on to see what the Rams still need.

4. Running Back
hi-res-3590f7ac800ca61fe82b0495c95e9cfb_crop_north.jpg

Mark Tenally/Associated Press

The notion that St. Louis still needs a running back might seem confusing to some. The team just spent a top-10 selection on Todd Gurley, and Tre Mason is returning after a promising rookie year.

The issue is that there's no guarantee Gurley will be healthy next season. Even if he is, the Rams will be cautious about putting him on the field too soon. If that's the case, Mason will be the only reliable every-down back on the roster for the first half of the season.

Zac Stacy is gone, and former second-round pick Isaiah Pead is an apparent bust. Benny Cunningham and Trey Watts have flashed some potential, but it'd be hard to have total confidence in either player as a workhorse back if Mason goes down.

Until Gurley proves that he's 100 percent, the Rams must carry on as if 2015 is a redshirt year for the rookie.

Renting out a cheap veteran or an unknown low-level commodity at the running back position could prove useful. Such a player could provide the Rams with a safety net until Gurley is ready to go.

At the very least, he would push youngsters such Watts and Cunningham to step it up in training camp.

Gurley is the future. But until he's healthy, the run game is too important to the St. Louis offense to place on Mason's shoulders alone.

3. Wide Receiver Depth
hi-res-6560c73f0be0f74734f6fa7888e5f4f2_crop_north.jpg

Evan Habeeb/Getty Images

The Rams drafted Missouri's Bud Sasser in the sixth round to help the wide receiver position, but that's not enough.

Brian Quick's 2014 breakout campaign ended abruptly with a shoulder injury. It was a serious injury, and Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports that there's no timetable for a return. That could leave Kenny Britt as the team's only proven commodity at the position.

Stedman Bailey has flashed some potential. He had 349 yards on 22 catches in the final six games of 2014. However, he has yet to produce with any consistency.

The Rams have plenty of raw, untapped talent at the receiver position. The team has struggled to get the current players to break out, but the Rams can solve that issue by increasing the competition.

The current receivers have not been productive enough to justify not bringing in extra talent to compete in camp. These guys need to start fighting for their jobs.

With the new quarterback in Nick Foles, the Rams must hit the reset button on the receiver depth chart. Let a number of guys compete on the field, and we'll see who clicks with Foles.

2. Linebacker Depth
hi-res-6594c2abe3f774b7c3d9d94aac3c3cc1_crop_north.jpg

Rob Carr/Getty Images

The Rams defense is in excellent shape, but depth at linebacker is a concern.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar will provide some depth as the No. 4 guy, but the remaining linebackers are highly inexperienced and unreliable. The team needs a solid veteran with versatility.

St. Louis signed veteran Will Witherspoon for depth before the 2013 season, and it'd be nice to see a similar addition this year.

The Rams are currently prepared for a single injury at linebacker. If either outside backer is hurt, Dunbar will replace him. If James Laurinaitis is injured at middle linebacker, Akeem Ayers or Alec Ogletree will move inside, and Dunbar will step in on the outside.

If, however, more than one linebacker goes down, the Rams are in trouble. Daren Bates would be next in line, but the third-year player has only 15 career tackles. He's primarily a commodity for special teams.

Adding a veteran will fix the issue. This addition might not happen until final cuts late in the summer, but it would be a wise move.

1. Veteran Offensive Linemen
hi-res-5613e58323080ce723ecfc6a76da8ede_crop_north.jpg

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

The Rams went heavy on the offensive line during the draft. The team drafted four total linemen, including Rob Havenstein in the second round and Jamon Brown in the third.

The rookies will help repair an offensive line that was in desperate shape prior to the draft. However, it's not enough.

The Rams have three starting positions to fill, and adding four rookies is not enough. The team has some veteran depth players returning—Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones and Brandon Washington—but none of them inspires much confidence.

Adding one more key veteran would ensure stability at the position.

Center is the most obvious position to address. The Rams are ready to let Barnes and Jones duke it out for the job, but both players are unproven. Handing either guy the job would be a major risk.

Veteran centers Chris Myers and Brian de la Puente are still on the market. Both players are experienced and have had success at the NFL level.

The ideal path would be to add either veteran center and allow the rookies to battle for the right guard and tackle jobs. That would give the St. Louis line a perfect blend of youth and veteran experience.

The young guys are the future, but it'd be nice to have a veteran leader who can help them develop.

Alan

Legend
Remaining priorities in my order of need:
1) Quality starting RT
2) Quality starting OG
3) Quality starting OC
4) Quality starting FS
5) Quality Backup MLB
6) Quality Backup Swing T
7) Quality Backup OG

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gerwel obviously is NOT that knowledgeable about the Rams!
He's been reading too many reports by other sports writers!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
1) Quality starting RT
2) Quality starting OG
3) Quality starting OC
4) Quality starting FS
5) Quality Backup MLB
7) Quality Backup OG

Hopefully we have most of that on the roster already. The coaches know better than we do. I would think with the 4 Olineman we drafted and all the young guys they have been bringing up to speed the last couple of years they can put a solid line together. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Barksdale but other than that I think were set. Dunbar can play MLB in a pinch but they do need to draft a young guy next year to start developing. I wouldn't mind having a game changing FS but if our corner play improves which I think it will McCloud will be just fine with TJ and Barron mixed in.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Well, what they failed to mention is that we really don't know about the Wide Receivers is how they are with consistent QB play.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
In Regards to the article, I can see the logic in RB being a depth need, but I doubt anyone out there will be better than what we have and I'd rather see what our young players can do. Then again, I probably have more faith in Benny then most, but I don't see BOTH Gurely and Mason going down within the same month although anything is possible. Still the least of my concerns.

I would like to see a veteran WR picked up assuming someone of quality becomes available. Although any player getting released this close to the season will mean it's probably due to character issues rather than age, meaning a probable locker room cancer. Guess we'll have to see what happens and hope for the best.

Finally I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a veteran center being picked up. I see this being the most likely addition to happen of all the above. Well that and the resigning of Barks if he hasn't outplayed his hand.

I'll be surprised to see more than one or two players added from now until September, but for a change that isn't a bad thing. This has been by far the most satisfied I've been with the teams depth in a very long time.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd feel a lot better if they could get, say, an experienced Center before TC.

I like Mason... did when they drafted him. So I truly believe he can be effective enough until Gurley is totally healed.

WR? Quick is the big question mark to me. How long before he's 100%? Even when he is, will that serious injury affect his play (mental, not physical)? I also liked Bailey a lot when they drafted him... maybe this is his break out year? Britt surprised me a bit... he might be able to kick it up a notch.
Like someone said in another thread, you don't necessarily have to have a "#1 WR" to win in this league. Besides, Fisher's plan appears to be run heavy.

I think we can get by with what we have at LB... it is the least of my worries.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a bit concerned about 4, 3, and 2.

4. RBs - Benny Cunningham is capable of carrying the ball 15 times per game. His backup, whether it be Trey Watts or Pead, can carry the ball for the other 15. That's assuming Mason goes down, and that Gurley won't be ready early in the season - both of which are unlikely IMO.

3. WR depth - if there's one thing we have, it's depth at the position. Starting quality? Yet to be proven. Britt, Quick (who will probably be ready to go), Bailey, Austin, Givens, Sasser - I have no issue with the depth there.

2. LB depth - JL, AO, Dunbar, Ayers, and the rook from Baylor.

That's 5 and considering that 60% of the time only 2 will be on the field, that's plenty. Mark Barron could also fill in in a pinch.

1. OL vets - hopefully we re-sign Barksdale (I think we will). That will go a long way to clearing up this concern IMO.

Our entire season basically hinges on the play of this young and unproven offensive line. I feel good about it though.

Alan

Legend
RamsJunkie with his hopes:
Hopefully we have most of that on the roster already. The coaches know better than we do. I would think with the 4 Olineman we drafted and all the young guys they have been bringing up to speed the last couple of years they can put a solid line together. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Barksdale but other than that I think were set. Dunbar can play MLB in a pinch but they do need to draft a young guy next year to start developing. I wouldn't mind having a game changing FS but if our corner play improves which I think it will McCloud will be just fine with TJ and Barron mixed in.
Those are certainly the hopes of everyone here at the ROD. My hopes too. We'll see how it works out. I have my fingers and toes crossed that it will work out just like you envision.

What's a pinch? 2 plays? 2 games? 15 games? I don't consider someone who can replace someone else only "in a pinch" to be a quality backup. I did use the the word "quality" didn't I.

As for McLeod, he might be a good FS in your mind but do we have the same definition of a FS? My definition includes but is not limited to the ability to play center field. He has shown no ability to do that thus far in his career. Might he take that next step this year? I hope so because we haven't addressed that position this offseason and I sure am tired of the opposition completing all those long TD passes that just break our backs.

I do expect/hope our corner play will improve because Joyner might actually be a factor this year and one more year of experience for all our young CBs will play its part too.

Will their, IMO, shotgun approach to fixing the O-line be a success? I'm hoping that you're right in thinking that our coaches know better than we do and those players we picked come through for us. Right now though we don't really know where we are at any of those positions I listed and that's why I listed them.

Last edited:

Limey

Rookie
I'm not a bit concerned about 4, 3, and 2.

I agree. I think we are fine for depth in all 3, and bringing in someone else's cast off veteran means we have to cut someone else who might offer more long term upside. Also, in all of these positions we have an interesting looking UDFA who might already provide depth, even if it is only for ST.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Running Back?!? WTF?!? And I spend a lot of time DEFENDING BR!!! They helped me find TST, which led me here!!!! Running Back? Is Steve G. smoking something? I wonder, had we kept Stacy, would he have said RB? All other assessments are just guesses after that IMO....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO the majority of that list is reaching a bit.

My remaining areas of need or focus would be:
-Vet OT or C
-Vet CB
-And yes...bringing in some legit competition at Kicker. I brought this up last year too. Don't get mad Legatron fans :)
Yeah, GZ's numbers are still good, but God forbid he misses one and we NEED one late in the game. I worry about what i perceive to be his fragile confidence. He's hit some big kicks for us sure, but I'd like to see how he would perform in camp/preseason being pushed with some competition. It would be good for him IMO.

Having said all that stuff, i like where this roster is at. Another Vet OLineman should be the primary focus in terms of additions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's crazy how far this roster has come, that when we try to talk remaining needs all of them can be argued.

Only one I won't argue is veteran OL, but the problem is there just aren't any out there that are better than what the Rams have brought in or what they have as holdovers on the line. Sure, Barks would be nice but he might not even make this roster tbh, given his play last season. He is just as much a liability in pass pro as Havenstein will likely be, but lacks upside and is costlier. Even the OG from Atlanta ok sure it'd be cool to see him brought in just in case, but will he be able to avoid the cuts? Maybe not, as long as Fish doesn't play favorites with him due to his veteran status I seriously doubt he brings as much to the table as the kids.

At this point I'm good with them going with a young, physical line that manhandles the bejeezus out of defenses in the running game and which might have some growing pains in pass protection from time to time. Supplement them with a smart technician like Jones, and a solid second year guy in Rhaney and they might end up fielding a better OL than anyone expects, me included. Fact is if they finally hammer that running game in dominant fashion those young kids won't be facing stacked blitzes, defenses will be on their heels.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's crazy how far this roster has come, that when we try to talk remaining needs all of them can be argued.

Only one I won't argue is veteran OL, but the problem is there just aren't any out there that are better than what the Rams have brought in or what they have as holdovers on the line. Sure, Barks would be nice but he might not even make this roster tbh, given his play last season. He is just as much a liability in pass pro as Havenstein will likely be, but lacks upside and is costlier. Even the OG from Atlanta ok sure it'd be cool to see him brought in just in case, but will he be able to avoid the cuts? Maybe not, as long as Fish doesn't play favorites with him due to his veteran status I seriously doubt he brings as much to the table as the kids.

At this point I'm good with them going with a young, physical line that manhandles the bejeezus out of defenses in the running game and which might have some growing pains in pass protection from time to time. Supplement them with a smart technician like Jones, and a solid second year guy in Rhaney and they might end up fielding a better OL than anyone expects, me included. Fact is if they finally hammer that running game in dominant fashion those young kids won't be facing stacked blitzes, defenses will be on their heels.

I like barks as a one year backup. Then add more next draft and let someone else pay for mediocrecy.

Our only "needs" IMHO, are o-line experience and a shutdown player in the secondary.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did the guy forget we have Tavon Austin?

He could be a factor at RB (as needed) and he's definitely a factor at WR.

lockdnram21

Legend
1) Quality starting RT
2) Quality starting OG
3) Quality starting OC
4) Quality starting FS
5) Quality Backup MLB
7) Quality Backup OG
Were not getting another fs the Rams love Mcleod. I don't think he's that bad but I agree with everything else

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's gonna be interesting to see how Fisher sorts out our OG situation, huh?

On the one hand he certainly values experience. He has a history of holding out his rookies on O for approx 4 games, for example. That would suggest that he will sign a vet FA to be our starting OG until one of the rookies can beat him out. Maybe Blalock, for example?

On the other hand, he went out of his way to draft very big, smart, and experienced OL players, didn't he? Could it be that he might actually start Brown or Wichmann at OG on opening day and break the string?

Or does he see Reynolds as his "bridge" starter at OG until a rookie beats him out? (This one is my guess, btw).

I do think Hav is the favorite to start at RT. I think the Barks train has left the station.

Camp reports will be verrrrry interesting this year.

We're gonna be hanging on every word, CoachO. Would you consider traveling to Santa Barbara to watch those Cowboy practices? Maybe if we all chip in? Lol.