Rams rank last in NFL team value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Tipsheet: Rams rank last in NFL team value

Print By Jeff Gordon jgordon@post-dispatch.com
52eb3c6a76734.preview-300.jpg

Rams owner Stan Kroenke talks during a press conference Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012, at Rams Park in St. Louis. Photo by Erik M. Lunsford elunsford@post-dispatch.com

Enlarge Photo

Poor Stan Kroenke. His Rams are the least valuable team in the NFL according to the latest Forbes Magazine study, worth just $930 million.

The Dallas Cowboys rated as the league's financial MVP at $3.2 billion. The average NFL franchise is worth $1.43 million.

That is quite a discrepancy in a league where each team got $170 million in shared revenue last season -- a total that will jump to $250 million within four years.

The Cowboys raked in $560 million in total revenue, compared to the Rams' $250 million.

The Cowboys earned $246 million in operating revenue last season, compared to just $16 million for the Rams despite this team's highly favorable lease arrangement.

This franchise has lagged behind its peers in ticket sales, premium ticket sales and sponsorship deals, largely because of its historically bad performance since Greatest Show on Turf disbanded.

Noted Forbes:

Rounding out the top four are the New England Patriots, worth $2.6 billion, Washington Redskins, worth $2.4 billion and New York Giants, valued at $2.1 billion. Short explanation: the Cowboys, Patriots, Redskins and Giants were the only NFL teams that were among the league’s top five in both premium seating revenue (at least $55 million) and stadium sponsorship revenue (over $40 million) in 2013. Each of these four teams also saw their values climb by 39% or more the past year.

Here is the Rams' financial nutshell from Forbes:

• Price Paid: $750 million.
  • Year Purchased: 2010
  • Revenue: $250 million
  • Operating Income: $16.2 million
  • Player Expenses: $151 million
  • Gate Receipts: $45 million.
  • Wins-to-player cost ratio: 79
  • Revenue per Fan: $29
  • Metro Area Population: 2.8 million.
Naturally Forbes came to the conclusion that the Rams will move to Los Angeles after it escapes its current lease at the Edward Jones Dome after this season. The Rams will use its year-to-year status to either get a new stadium here (no small feat in the current economic and political environment) or a better deal elsewhere.

The franchise would at least double in value in Southern California if it can get a favorable stadium situation. That is the big if, of course, the factor that has kept the NFL out of LA for two decades.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gate receipts of $45M at $29 per fans means the Rams would have drawn 1,550,000 or so fans. Pretty tough with a ten game home season counting preseason.
Who knows how they are getting these numbers.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
and how does the net worth change WHEN they build and control a NEW stadium here? Add the revenues that they currently are NOT getting, ie, Parking, concessions, and what is certain to be an adjacent "Ballpark Village" concept, the value of the franchise could double.

It's a moot point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
and how does the net worth change WHEN they build and control a NEW stadium here? Add the revenues that they currently are NOT getting, ie, Parking, concessions, and what is certain to be an adjacent "Ballpark Village" concept, the value of the franchise could double.

It's a moot point.
Exactly. Amazing that the Rams have apparently increased in value as much as they have since Stan bought the team.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
How much more does it cost to go to a Dallas game, opposed to a Stl game?

I bet it's significantly more. Parking, seats and concessions are more I would think.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Good, my dream hasn't died of winning the lottery, creating a successful business and buying my beloved rams ;)

MrMotes

Starter
2.8 million live in the St.Louis Metro area. That's $332.14 each.

The rent would quadruple, and the first losing season would result in 38 die-hards in the stands. Ref: Anaheim

If Stan builds a stadium on the land he's already bought and then shares it with a second team, he'll be collecting rent, not paying it...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Less STL/LA turf wars here please.

Danke schoen.

FerrisBueller.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
good point. Kick off time in Anaheim:
images
No matter the argument. HELL NO! That was the worst "football" venue I've ever had the displeasure of watching a game in.

And beyond that? Refer to X's post directly above.

SierraRam

Recreational User
No matter the argument. HELL NO! That was the worst "football" venue I've ever had the displeasure of watching a game in.

And beyond that? Refer to X's post directly above.

No argument intended. I've been a displaced Ram fan for years, too. I love the Cleveland, LA, St.Louis Rams.

Sorry, if it appeared hostile - that was not my intention. I was only attempting to point out the lack of support the Rams had in the lean years in Anaheim...

I'll stay away from the subject and get back to the safety of Mojo's "Booby" thread.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No argument intended. I've been a displaced Ram fan for years, too. I love the Cleveland, LA, St.Louis Rams.

Sorry, if it appeared hostile - that was not my intention. I was only attempting to point out the lack of support the Rams had in the lean years in Anaheim...

I'll stay away from the subject and get back to the safety of Mojo's "Booby" thread.
Nah man. My HELL NO comment was aimed at the Big A itself. What an aweful place to watch football.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Anaheim is NOT LA. It's not even the same county. They've had attendance issues with all of their teams. Their hockey team has been one of the best during the regular season (top 3) the past two years and they haven't cracked 20th in attendance.

LA and Anaheim are two different beasts, moving the Rams down south just proved how stupid Georgia was.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Wouldn't part of the value be the stadium? Jerry Jones dome that he owns, vs the dome that Stan rents very cheaply. Funny thing is the Rams haven't been that much worse than the 'Boys the last 3 years.