Rams' Quick: "It's about that time"/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
You are asking the wrong guy. I hate labeling guys like that. Who was the #1 between Bruce or Holt?
They both crisscrossed their primes during their years in st. louis. Bruce was older and played longer I believe. Reminded me of a quiet Jerry Rice

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They both crisscrossed their primes during their years in st. louis. Bruce was older and played longer I believe. Reminded me of a quiet Jerry Rice

I agree, I don't believe in labeling a guy #1 or #2. You need BOTH of them to be successful. They play different positions, and were both HOF caliber guys, who made the other guy more effective. AS has been talked about briefly in this thread, the only labels that need to be considered, are X & Z.

jjab360

Legend
Some of us have been paying attention. lol
Let's not jump the gun on calling for the crow feast just yet, he still hasn't proven anything. I'm holding out more hope than I was before, though, and if he does prove himself this season I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

MFdoom39

UDFA
Name
Matt
Glad to read that Quick was on the same page as Bradford on a sight adjustment the other day at practice.

Hopefully he is ready to stop thinking so much and just play.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
We haven't had an X since, well, X.

The DX Missile.

I realize this is probably a joke, so below is not for you, but for other folks who may be wondering what the deal is with X and Z.

They always have an X, it's a specific position. It's what Pettis played last season. It's the receiver who is always anchored to the line of scrimmage (as opposed to the one who plays off and goes in motion, that's the Z) and is normally by himself as opposed to being bunched up with the TE or other WRs. A lot of times, for right handed QBs, he's found on the left side of the line.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You are asking the wrong guy. I hate labeling guys like that. Who was the #1 between Bruce or Holt?

I'll answer it; Quick

If he turns out to be a number one caliber player; that's the more trust worthy player to become elite.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
In '95 with no real talent around him Isaac Bruce was 64 shy of tying the receiving record Jerry Rice set that year. He had two less touch downs and 3 less receptions. If Rice had a 1500 yard receiving season, Bruced had healthy hamstrings in '97 and '98 then maybe just maybe Bruce is considered the best WR in the game... until Calvin Johnson. That's my one I love Isaac Bruce post today. I give my self infinity.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I agree, I don't believe in labeling a guy #1 or #2. You need BOTH of them to be successful. They play different positions, and were both HOF caliber guys, who made the other guy more effective. AS has been talked about briefly in this thread, the only labels that need to be considered, are X & Z.

Yeah, saying "who's the number 1 receiver" is kinda like saying "who's the number 1 lineman?"

I dunno. Whoever is playing the best, I guess? But making the distinction between X and Z receivers can be kinda like making the distinction between left tackle and right tackle. The only difference is, for some offenses the receiver positions are interchangeable based on the play and personnel while offensive line positions are always static.

Most offenses though have a designated X and Z for a majority of snaps.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Ive been on the Quick bandwagon since he was drafted. I wanted the Rams to give him more playing time the last two seasons to speed up his learning curve. Hopefully this is his breakout season and we will see the guy they saw when they drafted him. Everything seems to be going right for the Rams so far and im super excited gor a great season!

Big Game

Living The Dream
The one thing that is common and I love to here about all the reports on Brian Quick is his "confidence". So many times last season you could just see that he had a look as if he was not confident in his own abilities. But it seems now he gets it and Britt along with the coaches are helping him to realize that he can play at this level.

We just need to see it on Sundays now. I can't wait!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As long as he improves to 600-800 yards and more tds I will be happy this year. Then improves on that next year as well.

He certainly seems like a completely different receiver this year. Hard not to buy in. Can only hope he will bring it game day. Best of lick Quick, you got everyones support!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Are you asking me cuz to don't think I know or cuz you want to know?

Britt is the one who is off the line. Although if Cook and Austin are bob on the field both Britt and Quick are on the LOS.
I wanna know...if I was playing with ya I woulda used blue font

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Glad to read that Quick was on the same page as Bradford on a sight adjustment the other day at practice.

Hopefully he is ready to stop thinking so much and just play.
It sure looks like that's what he's picked up from Britt! ( And by the way, "WELCOME TO ROD!")

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I realize this is probably a joke, so below is not for you, but for other folks who may be wondering what the deal is with X and Z.

They always have an X, it's a specific position. It's what Pettis played last season. It's the receiver who is always anchored to the line of scrimmage (as opposed to the one who plays off and goes in motion, that's the Z) and is normally by himself as opposed to being bunched up with the TE or other WRs. A lot of times, for right handed QBs, he's found on the left side of the line.
It was a joke, but it was also true.

Usually on the right side? Don't know if I'd say that. Obviously, it depends on the formation called. X will be lined up in twin, and trips formations, so he's no always alone. At least 7 offensive players must be on the LOS. The X is also called a split end, because he is split out, and on the end of the LOS. The Z is also called a Flanker, and he is traditionally on the TE side, and off the LOS. If a player is on the LOS, outside the TE, then the TE is covered, and not eligible to go out on a route, but you can run a play.

A Y is usually the designation for a TE. H has become a popular term for a TE who is playing in the slot, and off the LOS. Some offenses call the 4th receiver a B, or Bandit, but there are other designations...depends on the offensive system.

The main thing here is that the X plays on the LOS, so he has to be able to beat press coverage. Big and strong helps, but a quick guy can often beat press too. A Z plays off the LOS, so the defender can't line up right on him, and being off the LOS, the Z can go in motion creating more havoc on the defense, because that can change their responsibilities, and coverages right before the snap.