Rams Offensive Line. Your Rank

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How has the offensive line performed in your opinion?

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
LT - Robinson, B- (After only 2 games, i'd say he will become a force to be reckoned with very soon)
LG - Saffold, B (Prefer him at RG, but while we wait for a new starting LG, he's the most solid OL on the team, when healthy)
C - Wells, D (Terrible run blocker, pass pro slightly better, injury machine, should become a CAP casualty)
RG - Joseph, D (Another terrible run blocker, no longer a starter in this league, maybe kept as a reserve)
RT - Barksdale, C- (Never as high on him as so many others here, struggles when Saffold isn't next to him)

Reserves : C- (Maybe Jones has something, seems there is little confidence in him up to now, Barnes is easily replaceable, need to see more of Person, Washington)

Overall Grade : C-

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can't rate them as a group, because the group keeps changing.
From Riverumbbq with one exception:

LT - Robinson, B- (After only 2 games, I'd say he will become a force to be reckoned with very soon)
LG - Saffold, B (Prefer him at RG, but while we wait for a new starting LG, he's the most solid OL on the team, when healthy)
C - Wells, D (Terrible run blocker, pass pro slightly better, injury machine, should become a CAP casualty)
RG - Joseph, D (Another terrible run blocker, no longer a starter in this league, maybe kept as a reserve)
RT - Barksdale, B- (Has played pretty well, and been able to stay on the field, but struggles when Saffold isn't next to him)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hate to see Long go out this way. Class player, high effort guy. His time in St. Louis was a bit mixed. It was exciting when the Rams signed him....it appeared a long standing issue was being fixed with the big "IF" of staying healthy.
The three day MRI didn't make you a wee-bit nervous?

Athos

Legend
C+. That's being kind.

The awfulness of Joseph and Wells bring the hole unit down to serviceable. Just really, really poor play from both and I hope we use the draft to address those issues. I've now become a negative nancy when it comes to FA O-Line signings. All of ours have been failures. Nut it up and and build from within.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bottom line on the OL in 2015....Rams have only two legit starting OL'er returning. One is the chronically injured & due for off season shoulder surgery Roger Saffold & Greg Robinson. I do not see any reason to keep Scott Wells & Jake Long under contract after this season ends. Those two are certain cap casualties. The only other signed OL'er who is active is center Barrett Jones. Next year they will have late draft selection center Demetrius Rhaney available back from the IR. The rest of our OL will enter free agency.

Mike Person OT/OG/OC -UFA
Davin Joseph ORG-UFA
Joe Barksdale ORT-UFA
Tim Barnes OC-RFA
Brandon Washington OG-ERFA

With this future pending upcoming OL situation why would you not get young players like Jones, Person & Barnes on the field in live fire @ center & OG to weigh their future worth? I look at it this way...I have watched both Joseph & Wells play in live action & find them a big liability. They will NOT get any better! If a Jones or Person or Barnes are close in performance to Wells & Joseph then give them the opportunity. If Jones or Person or Barnes are not then the Rams are in big big trouble with the 2015 OL cadre.

Rams just traded away two 2015 draft picks for SS Mark Barron leaving only five left as I know now. Looks to me we will need to use most of the five on OL'ers plus a QB. Big changes will have to occur in the 2015 Ram OL.

I know currently our right side OL with Joseph & Barksdale is going way south real quick!:eek:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My main complaint with this line is their continued insistence on playing Joseph. His level of play has dropped off to the point where you can't tell me it isn't wiser to go younger. That's the reason we have depth players like Jones or Person, and it's worthwhile to see what they can do when the vet in front of them isn't playing well.

Secondary complaints revolve around relying on guys who can't stay healthy. They covered themselves with Jake Long, by drafting GRob. But Saffold and Wells are another matter. I suppose Jones' back problems were something that just happens, and note that I don't consider him an injury risk guy given his overall history of making games and performance. But still in retrospect it sure would have been nice had they done a better job with the interior OL depth.

So my grade overall is a C-. Should be a D actually, but I give them credit how they have played given the injuries.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam thinking of the future:
With this future pending upcoming OL situation why would you not get young players like Jones, Person & Barnes on the field in live fire @ center & OG to weigh their future worth? I look at it this way...I have watched both Joseph & Wells preform in live action & find them a big liability. They will NOT get any better! If a Jones or Person or Barnes are close in performance to Wells & Joseph then give them the opportunity. If their not then the Rams are in big big trouble with the 2015 OL cadre.
Mind boggling isn't it? I just don't see where the downside is and there's a possible upside. Even if they don't perform well that tells us a lot and if they're not we know what we have and can make some intelligent decisions going forward. I don't see it though. That's not how I see Fisher operating but I could be wrong.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bottom line on the OL in 2015....Rams have only two legit starting OL'er returning. One is the chronically injured & due for off season shoulder surgery Roger Saffold & Greg Robinson. I do not see any reason to keep Scott Wells & Jake Long under contract after this season ends. Those two are certain cap casualties. The only other signed OL'er who is active is center Barrett Jones. Next year they will have late draft selection center Demetrius Rhaney available back from the IR. The rest of our OL will enter free agency.

Mike Person OT/OG/OC -UFA
Davin Joseph ORG-UFA
Joe Barksdale ORT-UFA
Tim Barnes OC-RFA
Brandon Washington OG-ERFA

With this future pending upcoming OL situation why would you not get young players like Jones, Person & Barnes on the field in live fire @ center & OG to weigh their future worth? I look at it this way...I have watched both Joseph & Wells play in live action & find them a big liability. They will NOT get any better! If a Jones or Person or Barnes are close in performance to Wells & Joseph then give them the opportunity. If Jones or Person or Barnes are not then the Rams are in big big trouble with the 2015 OL cadre.

Rams just traded away two 2015 draft picks for SS Mark Barron leaving only five left as I know now. Looks to me we will need to use most of the five on OL'ers plus a QB. Big changes will have to occur in the 2015 Ram OL.

Well don't forget with those UFA losses the Rams' cap gets cleaned up. They shouldn't have too many problems adding a couple FA to the line to make sure the experience level and depth is good. Looking at the losses, Joseph is not a loss, Barnes is a depth guy who is probably running out of time at this level, Washington is easily kept through tender. Barks is the only significant loss, and I think they will get him signed and keep him where he's at.

They can sign Barks, and then an average depth type or two, followed by the selection of a strong interior OL prospect preferably one that can play C or OG. From there hopefully Jones will continue to get more playing time and show he can play at this level, and Fish has mentioned they were impressed by Rhainey.

Not worried about the OL for next year, to be honest. I think they will put a little more emphasis on the depth and they'll be good to go. Should look something like:

LT GRob
LG Free agent, Washington
C Jones, Rhainey, draft pick
RG Saffold
RT Barks

Good bookend tackles, and you can switch the FA and draft pick.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My main complaint with this line is their continued insistence on playing Joseph. His level of play has dropped off to the point where you can't tell me it isn't wiser to go younger. That's the reason we have depth players like Jones or Person, and it's worthwhile to see what they can do when the vet in front of them isn't playing well.

While I understand why Fisher would temporarily move Saffold to LG, helping a rookie Robinson develop his sea-legs, it does show a lack of confidence in Barrett Jones. Jones reportedly practiced at both Center and RG, so not beating out either of Wells &/or Joseph does raise some red flags. Getting a W last week probably means we will be starting the same O-Line against Arizona, so hopefully its more a matter of developing some better chemistry than gambling on the continuation of musical chairs being played out. While many of us fans want to see the younger guys get a shot, evidently Fisher still feels Wells & Joseph gives the team a better chance of winning. Once the Rams are statistically out of the running for the playoffs, I imagine only then might we see more experimentation, outside of another injury. jmo.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

I hope I did this right ^
None the less Greg Robinson looks like a beast.

Yeah, that one was fun to watch. I was kinda hoping Robinson would belly flop on top of Scutaro (y'know, the way Robinson does) after the body slam.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well don't forget with those UFA losses the Rams' cap gets cleaned up. They shouldn't have too many problems adding a couple FA to the line to make sure the experience level and depth is good. Looking at the losses, Joseph is not a loss, Barnes is a depth guy who is probably running out of time at this level, Washington is easily kept through tender. Barks is the only significant loss, and I think they will get him signed and keep him where he's at.

They can sign Barks, and then an average depth type or two, followed by the selection of a strong interior OL prospect preferably one that can play C or OG. From there hopefully Jones will continue to get more playing time and show he can play at this level, and Fish has mentioned they were impressed by Rhainey.

Not worried about the OL for next year, to be honest. I think they will put a little more emphasis on the depth and they'll be good to go. Should look something like:

LT GRob
LG Free agent, Washington
C Jones, Rhainey, draft pick
RG Saffold
RT Barks
Good bookend tackles, and you can switch the FA and draft pick.

I sure wish I had your optimism on the 2015 OL & hope your right Merlin. But I don't see it evidenced by some of the below:

#1-I'm not sure Barksdale can up his game yet to stop all those speeders pressers JB has turned loose lately, meaning a continuing issue with speed rushers in the face of our QB. Unless JB can find a remedy for this JB is becoming a pass protection deficient .. it will be interesting to see which speed rusher the Cards hit JB with this Sunday & its also NO done deal that he will sign back here & remain a Ram.

#2-I'm also not sure yet that Saffold can remain healthy for any period of time to be effective ..... period. Saffold was injured for most all preseason with a high-ankle sprain, injured in the first series in the first game with a neck injury & just about 3 weeks ago he re-injured & re-damaged his already damaged shoulder again & will attempt to play one armed the rest of the season until he can have surgery performed on it @ the conclusion of this season. Saffold's play thus far this season is nowhere close to what we saw for the five games he started l@ ORG late last season.

#3- I do not see from Boudreau any prospects on developing an important swing third OT anywhere on our roster from any young reserves. I was hoping he could do it with free agent Mike Person, however Person will be a UFA too in 2015 plus there is no game evidence that he can be a valid swing OT yet. I should say too, that Boudreau has only lost one OL'er to the IR just past the mid way point in this season so using injuries as a excuse has no merit here. True fact though Boudreau has only been given only ONE decent OL prospect from the last three drafts from the first & second days of those drafts!

#4 -In reference to your hopeful thoughts that a UFA OG can be had ....Rams have a long history of missing on finding any legit starting free agent OG's since 1999(Timmerman) from any other NFL teams rosters. Fisher needed to find one last season & failed & was seriously lucky our past own OG Saffold flew back at the speed of light after failing his medical exam.

#5- In the past 3 UFA periods since Fisher arrived all the bona fide OL'ers signed by Fisher have been injury riddled & in decline thus not helping me be positive about 2015.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think you guys are underestimating Well's ability to call protections for this O-line. They seem to really like that from him, and what that says about the other two centers idk.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
C-

As a unit they've played mostly average, very well at times, awful at times, but never dominant.

Long B-
Wells C
Saffold C
Joseph C-
Barks B
Robinson B-

Saffold rated too high by many IMO. Hasn't missed a game this season yet, sure....but i could get into the ring with Mike Tyson. That doesn't make me tough or durable.
All in all it's an old, fragile, expensive unit with only two starters i'd like to see back. Unfortunately we're stuck with Saffold, his contract and his assortment of frailties. Besides all that he needs to play more consistently and get better. He should be in his prime.
We're going to need a Guard and probably a Center going into 2015. I would also go out and draft/sign a second Guard as insurance for Saffold.

I know i beat on Saffold a lot, but i have zero tolerance for pro athletes who can't stay on the field/court/ice. Conversely i have the utmost respect for the athletes who can go out and be dependable every game.

Alan

Legend
flv quoting me:
Absolutely! It's like watching Steve Smith at WR or watching Fisher load the box on 3rd & 1 and have Steven Jackson run off-tackle. Loyal and Stubborn are 2 Fisher traits.
My wife already went to work and my daughter already went to school and I can't read stuff in italics so I'll get back to you on this later this afternoon. If I remember. :LOL:

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam taking one for the team:
I sure wish I had your optimism on the 2015 OL & hope your right Merlin. But I don't see it evidenced by some of the below:

#1-I'm not sure Barksdale can up his game yet to stop all those speeders pressers JB has turned loose lately, meaning a continuing issue with speed rushers in the face of our QB. Unless JB can find a remedy for this JB is becoming a pass protection deficient .. it will be interesting to see which speed rusher the Cards hit JB with this Sunday & its also NO done deal that he will sign back here & remain a Ram.

#2-I'm also not sure yet that Saffold can remain healthy for any period of time to be effective ..... period. Saffold was injured for most all preseason with a high-ankle sprain, injured in the first series in the first game with a neck injury & just about 3 weeks ago he re-injured & re-damaged his already damaged shoulder again & will attempt to play one armed the rest of the season until he can have surgery performed on it @ the conclusion of this season. Saffold's play thus far this season is nowhere close to what we saw for the five games he started l@ ORG late last season.

#3- I do not see from Boudreau any prospects on developing an important swing third OT anywhere on our roster from any young reserves. I was hoping he could do it with free agent Mike Person, however Person will be a UFA too in 2015 plus there is no game evidence that he can be a valid swing OT yet. I should say too, that Boudreau has only lost one OL'er to the IR just past the mid way point in this season so using injuries as a excuse has no merit here. True fact though Boudreau has only been given only ONE decent OL prospect from the last three drafts from the first & second days of those drafts!

#4 -In reference to your hopeful thoughts that a UFA OG can be had ....Rams have a long history of missing on finding any legit starting free agent OG's since 1999(Timmerman) from any other NFL teams rosters. Fisher needed to find one last season & failed & was seriously lucky our past own OG Saffold flew back at the speed of light after failing his medical exam.

#5- In the past 3 UFA periods since Fisher arrived all the bona fide OL'ers signed by Fisher have been injury riddled & in decline thus not helping me be positive about 2015.
Thanks Bonifay! I thought about saying some of the same things but I didn't want to rain on his enthusiasm. Needed to be said though.

I was really hoping that Joseph would rebound and play well again but we see how that turned out. We have so many holes on our O-line now that I doubt we'll be able to address them in FA and the draft. Doesn't auger well for next season does it? How many years have we been bellyaching about this Bonifay?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks Bonifay! I thought about saying some of the same things but I didn't want to rain on his enthusiasm. Needed to be said though. I was really hoping that Joseph would rebound and play well again but we see how that turned out. We have so many holes on our O-line now that I doubt we'll be able to address them in FA and the draft. Doesn't auger well for next season does it? How many years have we been bellyaching about this Bonifay?

About the OL????forever! I understand what they have tried to do since early 2012 & certainly agree with most of the many decisions that have been made overall in most all the other units. But my biggest issue has always been with Fisher's OL with a QB like Bradford.

The future of many units of this Rams teams is excellent. The CB's & Safeties, DT's & DE's are the best units. Snead & Fisher have jammed the secondary with youth & promise mostly from the draft. All these units would get an A grade in terms of future outlook. Close to the above units would be RB's unit but this is where I see a drop off. So there is a bunch of good listed above.

My point of view currently is directed on the QB & OL.

Last edited: