Rams Offense Seeking Solutions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams offense seeking solutions
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13456/rams-offense-seeking-solutions

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In the past four weeks, the St. Louis Rams have faced three defenses in the top five in average yards per game allowed.

That stretch includes two games against the No. 2 San Francisco 49ers and one each against No. 4 Seattle and No. 5 Kansas City. Before that quartet of games, the Rams offense had been one of the league's more pleasant surprises under the guidance of quarterback Austin Davis.

Through those first five weeks, the Rams were averaging 392.8 yards per game -- 283.5 yards passing and another 109.25 yards on the ground for an overall average of 5.8 yards per play.

Austin Davis and the Rams offense has found the going tough of late after facing some of the best defenses in the league.
But the question of whether the Rams could keep that up when they moved past games against lower-ranked defenses such as Tampa Bay, Dallas and Philadelphia lingered. Not that the Rams consider any defense in the NFL a pushover.

“I don’t think any of them are crummy in this league," Davis said. "That’s what you learn right away -- every week’s a different challenge and a tough challenge.”

The past four weeks have offered a resounding answer to the question of whether the Rams could sustain their success as the defenses they face have gotten better.

In the four contests against the 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs, the Rams' offensive production dropped across the board. The St. Louis offense is averaging 244.2 yards per game, with the passing average dropping to 151.75 yards per game and the rushing average down to 92.5. In those games, the Rams have averaged 4.4 yards per play.

Aside from facing better defenses, Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer points to maintaining better balance and taking care of the ball as keys to getting the offense untracked.

“We’re at our best when we’re balanced, when we can get the running game going," Schottenheimer said. "We all got to do a better job of converting third downs; that helps us. This will certainly be a challenge. It comes down to execution, us doing our job, guys making plays, taking things one play at a time. Hopefully, it’ll be a good week for us to get back on track.”

In terms of the basic defensive ranking numbers, this week's game against the Arizona Cardinals would appear to offer a chance for the Rams to get going on offense again. The Cardinals are 19th in the league in total defense (366.4 yards per game allowed) and last in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game (286.75).

On paper, that would seem to offer a chance for the offense to find traction, but a further inspection reveals a defense better than the numbers would indicate. Arizona is third in the NFL in rush defense and tied for second in turnover margin.

"They’re getting up and teams are just throwing it and going two-minute," coach Jeff Fisher said. "They’re giving up plays just to protect the end zone and things like that. It’s very, very misleading.”

While Arizona doesn't rank as highly as their NFC West brethren, it poses some problems that other teams don't. Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has earned a reputation for providing one of the most varied and unique defensive schemes in the league.

The Cardinals are more game-plan specific than most teams defensively and have been using four-man fronts more frequently in recent weeks. After facing a 49ers defense known for sticking to what it does, Davis will be challenged more than ever by a defense that will force him to question what he sees from play to play and series to series.

"Whatever you prepare for you’ll get something different," Schottenheimer said. "It’s one of those games we say, ‘You got to trust what you see, trust your rules.’ They come with different packages, different people. They played Dallas a bunch of four-man fronts. They played a bunch of Bear against Oakland, they do different things. Very creative. How do you mask that? You do what you do and say, ‘Hey guys, get ready to adjust on the run.’”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This offense needs work.

Me: It's year 3. I'd have a problem with where we are.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
blackboard-with-complicated-math-formula.jpg
= Give it Mason!!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Here are the Rams' solutions against the Cards for the offense:

Take the sack. AD needs to stay in the pocket, set his feet, and throw short high percentage throws. Cards will rob him of the ball if he goes long while hopping. Short high percentage throws to Cook, Britt, Mason, Cunningham, Stacy, and TA will turn into long high percentage throws. Second half against the Niners, not first half.

Lead the receiver.

Tre Mason on the edge. Seriously. Just do it 20 times and see what happens. Tell him to follow Robinson.

If you have the ball before the half with 30 seconds left and two timeouts, play like you are at the end of the game, down by 3, with 30 seconds left and two timeouts.

If the Rams are down by 10 or more the first half, start Hill. Just do it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Here are the Rams' solutions against the Cards for the offense:

Take the sack. AD needs to stay in the pocket, set his feet, and throw short high percentage throws. Cards will rob him of the ball if he goes long while hopping. Short high percentage throws to Cook, Britt, Mason, Cunningham, Stacy, and TA will turn into long high percentage throws. Second half against the Niners, not first half.

Lead the receiver.

Tre Mason on the edge. Seriously. Just do it 20 times and see what happens. Tell him to follow Robinson.

If you have the ball before the half with 30 seconds left and two timeouts, play like you are at the end of the game, down by 3, with 30 seconds left and two timeouts.

If the Rams are down by 10 or more the first half, start Hill. Just do it.
Agree with all that except the part about benching Davis. Depends on how the game is flowing. Especially agree with the bolded.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Agree with all that except the part about benching Davis. Depends on how the game is flowing. Especially agree with the bolded.

If he does that the first half, there would be no need to bring in Hill. If he doesn't, I will bet all of my $6 ROD$ Hill gets a shot.

Just as Fisher will go for the trick play if the game is on the line, I think he will do anything from here on out if the game is one the line. He's on the ropes and he will react. I always think he's a game or two late to react, but he does.

Penguin.

Rookie
You know what I loved about Bradford? No mistakes. He threw four interceptions last year. I cannot remember one that didn't bounce off Daryl Richardson or a DL's hands. AD seems to be giving other teams one or two every game. We just can't have that. Put Hill in if he keeps giving the ball up. The longer our defense is on the field, the worse they will play. Simple logic.

But the kid has a noodle arm. Keep it sharp and short.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You know what I loved about Bradford? No mistakes. He threw four interceptions last year. I cannot remember one that didn't bounce off Daryl Richardson or a DL's hands. AD seems to be giving other teams one or two every game. We just can't have that. Put Hill in if he keeps giving the ball up. The longer our defense is on the field, the worse they will play. Simple logic.

But the kid has a noodle arm. Keep it sharp and short.

If Bradford ever gets back on the field as a Ram, we will all see what this team really is. If Quick is back and the O line has real talent...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Against the Cardinals I'm hoping Schottenheimer's game plan is better than this..

1st and ten, 2nd and eight, third and seven, bring on Hekker!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In the past four weeks, the St. Louis Rams have faced three defenses in the top five in average yards per game allowed.

I think that sums up the problem........ particularly with Davis getting all that pressure and the fact that he was playing those defenses with very little experience under his belt

it says a lot about how bad san Francisco's office is that they are sitting at 4-4 with that defense