Rams notebook: Gaines makes the most of preseason start/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Mizzou's Gaines makes the most of preseason start
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fb891ba4-d27d-5a72-822a-09cd94d10672.html

Already pumped up about his NFL preseason game, Rams rookie cornerback E.J. Gaines received an added adrenaline boost when he was given a starting nod Friday against the New Orleans Saints.

“It was definitely a surprise,’’ the sixth-round draft choice from the University of Missouri said. “I didn’t actually find out until an hour before the game, so that kind of changed my mindset.

“A little nervous at first. It was exciting, though, to be able to get in there and get my first start, to prove myself and prove that I could play at this level.’’

Gaines, a 5-foot-10, 190-pounder from suburban Kansas City, was on the field for 51 defensive plays, nine more than any other Ram, and also participated on six special-teams snaps. He led the team with six tackles, four solos and two assists.

“I felt like I played well, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn. We all do,’’ said Gaines, who took advantage of the added playing time with starting cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson sitting out the preseason opener.

Gaines’ play in camp has caught the eye of those around him.

“He’s just making plays,’’ coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s very instinctive, a very conscientious, smart player. He’s picked the defense up really well and made plays. He’s a football player. He tackles, he covers, he’s got ball skills, so we’ll continue to get him some reps.’’

Asked about the young defenders in camp, third-year safety Rodney McLeod said, “No. 33, Gaines, that guy seems to get his hands on the rock almost every day in practice.’’

Gaines was a four-year standout at Missouri, making starts in the final 37 games of his career and earning All-SEC honors last fall as a senior. He said his “Welcome to the NFL’’moment came seconds into Friday’s game.

“When I got out there, the first person I lined up against was Marques Colston,’’ Gaines said. “That was like ‘Wow’ for me because I’ve been watching him play for a while, since I was in high school.’’

Gaines said working against the Rams’ receivers helped prepare him for the preseason debut and that he will continue to work to fine-tune his game.

“I’m working on everything, really,’’ he said. “Just trying to become a complete corner. I’m working a lot on my press-man (coverage), we didn’t do a lot of that at Mizzou. The defensive coaches have been working with me, helping me get more physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage.’’

On a team loaded with young talent in the secondary, Gaines knows he’s in a battle to earn a roster spot.

“It’s tough not to think about that stuff, especially being the competitive-type person we all are,’’ he said. “But the key is just coming out here and trying to get better along with your teammates. At the end of the day, these guys are my teammates and this is a family. It’s all about trying to help each other get better.’’

THE ‘A’ CONNECTION

Wide receiver Austin Franklin, a rookie free agent from New Mexico State, also had a debut to remember, hauling in a 15-yard touchdown pass from Austin Davis early in the fourth quarter.

“First game, getting that first touchdown, I was real proud,’’ the 5-11, 190-pound Franklin said. “When I scored, I honestly didn’t know what to do, so I just pointed to the crowd.’’

With the Rams facing a third-and-10 play, Franklin ran a post pattern, using his body to hold off the defender.

“As soon as (the defensive back) opened his hips, I knew I had to cut across his face and get open,’’ Franklin said. “Austin threw me a great pass, right there — it was the ‘A’ connection, Austin to Austin.’’

At New Mexico State, Franklin led the Aggies in receiving the last two seasons. Last fall, despite missing four games for academic reasons, he finished with 52 catches for 670 yards and seven touchdowns in eight games.

“When I get in there, I just have to show them I can play,’’ the 21-year-old said. “I’m trying to focus on the little things, certain routes, my footwork, because I know that those little things are what’s going to help get me on the field.’’

RAM-BLINGS

After a sluggish workout Monday, the team showed a bit more life Tuesday.

During a run-blocking drill, right tackle Joe Barksdale and rookie defensive end Michael Sam got into a scuffle that included a few punches. It was quickly broken up.

Another rookie, No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson, really seemed to thrive in the run-blocking drills.

Tavon Austin made a couple of nice grabs while McLeod picked off a deflected pass to highlight the “team” session.

• Today’s special teams practice is closed to the public. Thursday’s workout, scheduled for 3:30-5:30 p.m., is free and open to the public.

• No major changes on the injury front, except that defensive end William Hayes sat out Tuesday’s workout. Also missing were cornerback Janoris Jenkins (hamstring), fullback Kadeem Jones (hamstring), linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), defensive tackle Michael Brockers (ankle), guard-tackle Rodger Saffold, guard Brandon Washington, center-guard Barrett Jones, safety Matt Daniels and cornerback Darren Woodard.

• As expected, DE/TE Mason Brodine (fractured ankle) was placed on the injured reserve list.

In another NFL move Tuesday, the Miami Dolphins waived TE Raymond Webber, a Miller Career grad who went on to play at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

• Former NFL exec Gil Brandt, of Sirius XM NFL Radio, made a stop at Rams Park on Tuesday along with broadcast partner Alex Marvez.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.