Rams' Fisher baffled by some penalty calls/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

60'sRamFan

UDFA
Name
Bob
The lousy officiating is because the Rams are a loosing team. It doesn't matter if the calls go against them or not a better team will get the call nearly every time. This statement is clearly subjective just like many of the calls in the NFL. I still think a blue flag should be given to the coach to throw and have a penalty review (one per game). If adopted would make the O crews think
twice before throwing a team under the bus.

Hears another thought, with all the penalties on kickoffs and punts, let do away with them. Everyone would start at their 20yd line replacing the kickoff, and punts would automatically be 40yd from the line of scrimmage. That would fit right in with all the NFL rule changes in trying to make a violent contact sport safe, reduce lousy officiating calls and cut down on screwing some teams over.
The game Rams and Denver the hit on Sanders - penalty hitting a defenseless player, what a BS call - the receiver touched the ball and was hit by the safety at the same time bang bang play. How is the safety suppose to break up a pass if he can't put a hit on the receiver. How is a receive ever going to be in a defensive position laying out for a ball. The call was crap and if one checks the rule it doesn't even fit the situation of that play. But hear we go with the officials not liking a big hit so we have to throw a flag on a play that was not a helmet to helmet hit but Sanders helmet to ground. If the NFL continues down this path and continues to ruin the game Baseball will once again be the National Pasttime.

Debacled

Starter
Fisher said he still can’t find the holding penalty assessed on Marshall McFadden on the long Austin punt return in the fourth quarter. ..."Didn’t see it. I mean, we’ve been looking for it. Seriously, we looked all over the place for it. We just didn’t see it.”

No disrespect to coach Fisher, but it's a clear hold. The screenshots don't do it justice. In the video you can see McFadden's hands pulling the guy back. He's trying to get down field and his momentum just stops. I definitely think the Rams are getting screwed on penalties this year, but this isn't one of them.

View attachment 4238
Looks to me like the SD player has a hold of #54 inside the back of the shoulder pads and is using him for leverage to me

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The lousy officiating is because the Rams are a loosing team
In part, you are correct. And in part it's because they are a small market team.

Ultimately, favorable calls are directly porportional to the influence the team has over the public. The greater the market reach of the team, the larger and more distributed the fanbase, the more likely the team is to receive favorable calls.

But, on the other hand, it doesn't help when the commissioner has a personal vendetta against the franchise. Just ask Al Davis what that feels like.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In part, you are correct. And in part it's because they are a small market team.

Ultimately, favorable calls are directly porportional to the influence the team has over the public. The greater the market reach of the team, the larger and more distributed the fanbase, the more likely the team is to receive favorable calls.

But, on the other hand, it doesn't help when the commissioner has a personal vendetta against the franchise. Just ask Al Davis what that feels like.
Then how do teams like Baltimore and Tampa win Super Bowls? There was no story-line associated with those small market teams that fans wanted to see come to fruition, which subsequently would necessitate bias calls to help them along. And what about the Rams for that matter on their way to their first Super Bowl win? Who the hell knew who they were? You would also think that everyone wanted to see Peyton Manning win a Super Bowl after coming back from successful neck surgery that threatened his career, but alas ... he (and that team) got pounded into submission by a better team. Was the agenda to get Seattle (another small market) a win against a Goliath? Nah. They were just better that day.

Sometimes the refs just suck balls. And every fan of every team will tell you that throughout the season.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Some crews want to be the story and not just keep the game in check a bit. Seems to me that 20 years ago there were maybe 5-6 flags a game, now there is 20!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Sometimes the refs just suck balls. And every fan of every team will tell you that throughout the season.

For sure. I don't ever remember a time loving the refs. But this year it seems worse. MUCH worse. Missing calls that are blatent. Imagining calls that didn't happen. Critical calls and non-calls on money downs. I'm not a conspiracy theorist in any other part of my life (except the JFK assassination where I still think that at best the Warren commission report is malarky). But this is so bad it really has me wondering.

On the positive side of things, I'm proud of the Rams that they played through the bullstuff and still made a game of it at San Diego. If they had folded their tents after the fumble return TD or the Allen TD run or the penalty on the punt return, I'd have been much more upset about Hills Arm moving forward or the block in the back or the inconsistency of calling ST penalties. But the Rams did come back, and got themselves back into that final FG/TD position at end. I don't blame the SD loss on the refs, SD honestly played better than the Rams most of the game, and the Rams were fortunate to have the shot at the end.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is one of JT's better pieces. For Brevities sake, this is what I liked (?) most..
“Unfortunately, it seems like every week is an adventure with the officiating,” Fisher said.
Perhaps no game day this season was as adventurous as Sunday’s 27-24 loss at San Diego.
The Rams had two touchdowns called back by penalties, had a 76-yard punt return by Tavon Austin cut in half by another flag, and also had a 23-yard catch by Stedman Bailey and a 16-yard run by Tre Mason nullified by infractions.
Put them all together, and it adds up to 132 lost yards — 94 yards of offense and 38 yards of Austin’s punt return.
IDK what can be done about this situation, But I sure hope there's a lot of discussion in the off season about it!!:mad:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I've said this before, but I think the speed of the game is too fast for officials to keep up with, especially guys who are in their mid to late 50's, 60's, etc. Reaction time slows down as you get older, so it appears they guess when they see something because it happened so fast and they can't properly react to a given situation. Crap, I'm 51 and I know I couldn't keep up officiating high school football games. Maybe the league needs to add another referee to each game so there is less field for each referee to watch and some of these bogus penalties don't get called. Either that, or start firing bad officials. On a side note, it seems like you don't hear about bad calls every week with college games, and there are a bunch more college games each week compared to the NFL.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Then how do teams like Baltimore and Tampa win Super Bowls? There was no story-line associated with those small market teams that fans wanted to see come to fruition, which subsequently would necessitate bias calls to help them along. And what about the Rams for that matter on their way to their first Super Bowl win? Who the hell knew who they were? You would also think that everyone wanted to see Peyton Manning win a Super Bowl after coming back from successful neck surgery that threatened his career, but alas ... he (and that team) got pounded into submission by a better team. Was the agenda to get Seattle (another small market) a win against a Goliath? Nah. They were just better that day.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

I believe that this is true to some extent albeit more so as of the last several years. I also believe that Star players Owners and other influences come in to play. I believe too that there is another layer to this philosophy. We live in a world of sales and marketing and the ultimate goal is revenue.