Rams draft ranked 9th overall on average based on average of 20 different graders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
I wouldn't pay much attention to the "experts." If they were any good, they would be working for an NFL team. If they were really good, they would be working for the Horns! :thumbsup1:

JYB

Starter

Falcons getting hammered from everywhere for taking Penix. Not bc Penix is a bad player, but bc of their situation. You've got a team built to win now and they spend their high first round pick on a guy who -- if Cousins works out as hoped -- won't play for several years, when he's in his late 20s. I'd certainly be ticked if I were a Falcon fan.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I listened to a lot of post draft coverage and the consensus seemed to be that the Rams had a good draft, but quite a few people think we overpaid big time in the 2nd round to move up for Fiske. Even guys who have been really complimentary of the Rams over the past year, like Nate Tice and Robert Mays, thought we gave up too much for Fiske.
Snead has never met a trade he was willing to overpay to make. That understanding should be built into the analysis...

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
It doesn't surprise me that Atlanta is ranked 32nd overall. Raheem Morris will fail as an HC-- drafting Penix at #8 overall is a shocking decision and dumb. Penix can spin the football like no other, but if you put a little pressure on him, he crumbles and is injury-prone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't surprise me that Atlanta is ranked 32nd overall. Raheem Morris will fail as an HC-- drafting Penix at #8 overall is a shocking decision and dumb. Penix can spin the football like no other, but if you put a little pressure on him, he crumbles and is injury-prone.
You're assuming it was his call. He's a team player and will say all the right things to the media but this is the same bad gm they have had for a bit now isn't it?

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Wouldn’t let me upload Billy Bob from Varsity Blues so I will transcribe………

I give it a 10, a 10, a fu*kin 10

ten GIF

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The question is, did they win their trade up in the 2nd round according to some trade chart.

That's the most important thing.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
This is really an exciting time of the year. New players that I think we all believe is a pretty good list, the young players that stepped up big last season, a pretty damn good veteran roster... It's a fun time.
I've been a Ram fan since 1967. We're living in the best time of Rams fandom ever. TGSOT lasted 5 years, we're going into year 8 here.
Pittsburgh should have 4 more Superbowl's with all these drafts they supposedly win.
They play a certain style and when they don't have a QB (Roethlisberger in his prime) who can make a difference, it doesn't work.
Pitt is infuriating. Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league. Their front office can scout like no others. But the blind spots. You could drive a truck through the blind spots in this organization, both coach and front office.
They rarely use free agency to improve their team. They're still living by the model, build completely through the draft.
Falcons getting hammered from everywhere for taking Penix. Not bc Penix is a bad player, but bc of their situation. You've got a team built to win now and they spend their high first round pick on a guy who -- if Cousins works out as hoped -- won't play for several years, when he's in his late 20s. I'd certainly be ticked if I were a Falcon fan.
That's the way most see it. But what do they really know? First off, the draft.....they have a great OL, excellent young playmakers and all they needed was a QB so they got Cousins. What they needed was defense. So after taking Penix, they got 4 defenders; 2 DT, Edge and LB. What's the plan for Penix? Replace Cousins in year 3, when he's 38? The cap hit for trading/releasing him in 2026 would be 25 mil and the cap savings is 32.5. What will the cap be in 2026? Higher than it is now! This move is being overblown by people who simply look at the 180 mil/100 mil guaranteed and nothing else. He got a 50 mil SB and his first two years of salary are the guaranteed (40 mil). It's nowhere near the assinine move some are making it out to be. Q? How does taking Penix at #8 affect their chances of "winning now"? Answer: Not at all. Unless the belief is 1 guy: Dallas Turner or Latu would make them a SB team. Hell, Latu could be done by 2026 too!

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I've been a Ram fan since 1967. We're living in the best time of Rams fandom ever. TGSOT lasted 5 years, we're going into year 8 here.

They play a certain style and when they don't have a QB (Roethlisberger in his prime) who can make a difference, it doesn't work.

They rarely use free agency to improve their team. They're still living by the model, build completely through the draft.

That's the way most see it. But what do they really know? First off, the draft.....they have a great OL, excellent young playmakers and all they needed was a QB so they got Cousins. What they needed was defense. So after taking Penix, they got 4 defenders; 2 DT, Edge and LB. What's the plan for Penix? Replace Cousins in year 3, when he's 38? The cap hit for trading/releasing him in 2026 would be 25 mil and the cap savings is 32.5. What will the cap be in 2026? Higher than it is now! This move is being overblown by people who simply look at the 180 mil/100 mil guaranteed and nothing else. He got a 50 mil SB and his first two years of salary are the guaranteed (40 mil). It's nowhere near the assinine move some are making it out to be. Q? How does taking Penix at #8 affect their chances of "winning now"? Answer: Not at all. Unless the belief is 1 guy: Dallas Turner or Latu would make them a SB team. Hell, Latu could be done by 2026 too!
I think that one guy does make some difference especially the number 8 pick. It could be the difference between winning one or two more games this year. Of course, the difference between winning 5 games and 7 games wouldn't matter in the least.

Penix might be good a few years from now but that owner at 81 probably wants a winning team now.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think that one guy does make some difference especially the number 8 pick. It could be the difference between winning one or two more games this year. Of course, the difference between winning 5 games and 7 games wouldn't matter in the least.

Penix might be good a few years from now but that owner at 81 probably wants a winning team now.
So isn't having Cousins under center in 2024 going to do that? The Rams were 7-9 in 2013, drafted a HOF DT in the first round of 2014 and went 6-10. The Falcons were 7-10 in 2023 and signed the best free agent QB available. But not taking a defender at #8 is going to screw them? I don't buy it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah I am. But I look at it as playing with house money now!
Same here. I go back to 1969. So, like you, I feel like I have seen a lot ... if not all.

George Allen's tenure of a vey high winning-percentage but no playoff success was coming to an end. The two disappointing Prothro years, when a ton of roster talent was added. The amazing and maddening five-year-run under Chuck Knox when the Rams were So Very Good but kept falling short of even reaching a Super Bowl (a version of the Buffalo Bills over the past five years).

Then there was another five-year-run (under Malavasi) when a terrific roster got old and the Team became really bad. A quick and very enjoyable turnaround under John Robinson when the Rams were arguably the 2nd best team in the NFC for much of his tenure in the 1980s but the unquestioned best team in the NFL was the hated and evil division-rival 49ers.

Then the (almost) lost decade of the 1990s when the Rams were the most-losing team in the entire NFL for the first nine years of the decade before exploding into the Greatest Show on Turf and first time Super Bowl Champion in 1999. A roller-coaster-run under Mike Martz, followed by twelve seasons of horrible, disappointing football before the arrival of a 30-year-old head coach.

Since McVay's arrival in 2017, it has been SO MUCH FUN. Many highs, couple lows but it's been Great!

That's why my handle is Allen2McVay. When Sean McVay retires, I will probably just walk into the ocean.

Since I live in Manhattan, that's not really practical, so I will just walk into Fifth Avenue traffic instead.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After reading what Kiper thought of our draft last year shortly after the draft, I’m inclined to think this stuff doesn’t matter, dumb really. Yeah Kiper, Puka was a reach in the fifth. Lol.

Tano

Legend
So isn't having Cousins under center in 2024 going to do that? The Rams were 7-9 in 2013, drafted a HOF DT in the first round of 2014 and went 6-10. The Falcons were 7-10 in 2023 and signed the best free agent QB available. But not taking a defender at #8 is going to screw them? I don't buy it.
I didn't say screw them but I do believe it would have benefited them to get a top defensive player.

There is a difference between screw and benefit.

And again, if I was a Falcon fan I would be pissed.

Let's put it this way, if the Rams had a chance to get Verse vs Penix and the Rams chose Penix I would have been pissed. Probably as pissed when we passed up Creed vs Tutu.

The Rams are in a similar boat as the Falcons when it comes to the QB situation age wise and how many years are left for both QBs.

I like our situation more than the Falcons because Stafford is awesome but I don't see him playing more than 2 years maybe 3 years same with Cousins.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
After reading what Kiper thought of our draft last year shortly after the draft, I’m inclined to think this stuff doesn’t matter, dumb really. Yeah Kiper, Puka was a reach in the fifth. Lol.
Good for you for taking a look back at what a "noted-Expert" said 12 months ago.

I am going to look for Kiper's post-2023 Draft comments.

I have always thought the best way to evaluate an NFL Draft, and the so-called "Experts" is to look for their post-draft comments and analysis about 5 years AFTER that draft.

That's rarely done. Must be great to say whatever you think in the moment but never have to answer for it.