Rams D line as of this moment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. 100% disagree.

Agree

Again, I watched every game he played in. I'm telling you, he lined up at edge and in a weakside backer role within the 3-4 in certain pass-rusher formations; I'm damn certain an announcer was talking about it when he made a play.

Mostly at edge, true, but he replaced Rozeboom in certain situations.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Multiple tackles at the line of scrimmage, a batted pass against the Ravens. I don't think he's an edge rusher, but I think as a second inside linebacker, he could be great.
Missed that... hmm...

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I'm telling you, he lined up at edge and in a weakside backer role within the 3-4 in certain pass-rusher formations; I'm damn certain an announcer was talking about it when he made a play.
Tell me the game and willing to look it up. Didn't see that at all. At least describe the play to narrow it down. He had 4 tackels and one PD ... over about 5-6 games end of season

Mostly at edge, true, but he replaced Rozeboom in certain situations.
Show me a clip -- willing to believe you but I watch fairly closely ... in All-22 and didn't see it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Tell me the game and willing to look it up. Didn't see that at all.

Show me a clip -- willing to believe you but I watch fairly closely ... in All-22 and didn't see it.

I'm not sure of the game, nor the clip. I know it was a later one (thinking Saints, Washington, or Giants), but I'm almost certainly sure the color guy for those games was keying on Hampton making a play at the line of scrimmage at a more weakside position than normal 3-4 would show.

I may very well be mistaken. I know I'm crazy at times. But that's how I remember it, and it's the main reason why I think Hampton could succeed in a pseudo role of sorts, a sort of edge/off-ball linebacker role on certain downs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The roster requires a 5T I think. They're hard to find because the rangy types with strength are sort of rare. And the Rams do have flexibility and if they don't find one they can still end up with a good DL, but ideally they find one in this draft. Because then Turner slides to 3T where he should be best served and we have a good balance up front.

What this means is the first round DL are probably not in play for us. Because if they take Newton he is our 3T. But is the dropoff from Newton to Turner going to be all that great? I don't see it. I think it is smarter to take a balancing element who can play over the OT and use Turner where he is going to give you his best product.

I'm not too high on Brown either. But I think if they can find that 5T, or someone who can at least line up there and show well, then they can rotate a bit if necessary to keep Brown fresh. So in a perfect draft world they will find that 5T by the time round 3 is done, and then maybe circle back with a run stuffer for the rotation rounds 5-7. Do that plus hit on an edge and we could end up with a fine defense. Still requires Shula to perform as DC, which is an unknown, but if they get that front loaded correctly it should make things easy on him.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I'm not sure of the game, nor the clip. I know it was a later one (thinking Saints, Washington, or Giants), but I'm almost certainly sure the color guy for those games was keying on Hampton making a play at the line of scrimmage at a more weakside position than normal 3-4 would show.

I may very well be mistaken. I know I'm crazy at times. But that's how I remember it, and it's the main reason why I think Hampton could succeed in a pseudo role of sorts, a sort of edge/off-ball linebacker role on certain downs.
I recall him playing the same position as Hoecht and Young, just stepping in for them for a series or two in final month. Never saw anything unusual ... or different than those two did. The play that sticks out in my mid was the big PD on 4th down ... he was a right edge on that one

Maybe you were seeing him out in the flat, in the "gone" call that Young and Hoecht would do --- I bet he did that, he would have had to ... it's what those two would do... anyway

Agree to disagree on this one.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I recall him playing the same position as Hoecht and Young, just stepping in for them for a series or two in final month. Never saw anything unusual ... or different than those two did. The play that sticks out in my mid was the big PD on 4th down ... he was a right edge on that one

Maybe you were seeing him out in the flat, in the "gone" call that Young and Hoecht would do --- I bet he did that, he would have had to ... it's what those two would do... anyway

Agree to disagree on this one.
Right, maybe. Again, I don't claim to be infallible. I just remember him playing very close to what a weakside linebacker would play, making a stop and the announcers made a comment. My memory is admittedly never been the best, and I apologize.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right, maybe. Again, I don't claim to be infallible. I just remember him playing very close to what a weakside linebacker would play, making a stop and the announcers made a comment. My memory is admittedly never been the best, and I apologize.
It's fine, this is your horse, we all have one. Beat the ever loving sh*t out of it.

But Hampton don't play dat.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It's fine, this is your horse, we all have one. Beat the ever loving sh*t out of it.

But Hampton don't play dat.

Not going to. Already claimed I could be misremembering things.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Th only real hole on the team is along the interior defensive line. That is the only position group that really has a net minus of players lost vs players they have signed (FA or reserve Future contract guys from the PS). So far, they have lost both Donald and Jonah Williams and have not backfilled with anyone. That is still no reason to panic or force a DT up in the daft though. They still have plenty of options to fill and even upgrade the interior line. They have the draft of course and maybe they could bring in some UDFA’s for camp bodies and PS development. Post draft they can always backfill with a post-June vet addition much like they did with Witherspoon and Robinson. Snead and his crew have had success with bringing in FA lower-cost vets or trading for unwanted backups to backfill obvious roster holes. Most teams just use it to churn the back end of the roster, but Snead’s group has shown they can find starters and key rotational pieces.

The edge position does not technically have a positional hole to fill, it just needs an upgrade, and part of that upgrade could happen from within. The Rams did not lose a starter or key rotational pieces from last year’s edge group. Although that group is/was very young (maybe too young), supplemented by AD it actually held its own for the most part. Young, Hampton, and Mathis are all second-year guys with plenty of room to grow and improve. You can also throw Vanvalkenburg from the PS into that group. Also, the much-maligned Hoecht really has only played the position for a season and a half and we saw improvement from him in the second half of the season especially with regards to setting the edge. A player’s skills and production are not static. Young players often improve while older players begin to decline. We can see where some players are capped out and they are who they are, but I do not believe that is the case with who the Rams have along the defensive front especially at the edge.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Based on his height/weight/sideline-to-sideline speed. I'm not saying he can't rush the passer, that he hasn't played edge, but I think he could also excel in coverage, play a pseudo weak-side backer (like he was playing when he started with us).
Agreed...no one can tell me that he can't be coached up to play the role that Reeder, Roseboom, and or Howard have played over the last several years.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Add in Verse, Ruke and Jaylin Ford and it's infinitely better. Follow those up with one of a few of the Dat 3 NT types and another edge like my guy from Clemson and there's no worries.
Xavier Thomas is definitely someone we should target as a true OLB who can rush and has the speed to play in space. No WRs or CBs? I like your plan

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As it sits now, we might have the worst DL in the league. Outside of Turner and Young, there is replacement level across the board. Brown definitely played better last year then he ever has, which is a nice sign. Murchison was awful, as was Desjuan.
I need to amend my statement, I was looking at Durden when speaking of Desjuan. Desjuan actually did flash. I think he even had a couple sacks.

Durden was actually not good in the few snaps he got.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Young - DeJuan - Bobby Brown - Turner - Hoecht
Hampton - XXXXXX - Murchinson - Durden - Mathis

Kier Thomas

I just want people to get a bit of a visual of what we're looking at and what we might expect from this draft. Sadly, it's not a great draft for OLB or Dline but we need help and we need a lot. Once we get past day 2, I don't think there's much if anything to be had on the Dline in this draft and there's nothing really after the top of the 2nd round at OLB.

Currently we're not even two deep on the Dline given the big XXXX spot of the depth chart at DE, additionally, Brown has just the year left on his contract and while he improved dramatically, still needs to work on consistency. No clue who Durden is.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think the Rams need to come away with at least one OLB, one DE and one DT in this draft. That's why I'm bearish on some position groups in this draft unless the value is really exceptional. I don't see us drafting a ILB any time soon, maybe a depth guy late in the draft. I could see us grabbing a WR if the value is there because it's so exceptional early but don't see us grabbing a RB till late.

I expect 2 of our picks in the top 100 will come at OLB, DE or DT.
There are a few third and fourth round types that have potential, like Jalyx Hunt. Austin Booker, Gabe Murphy, Masson Smith, etc…

However, other teams will be wanting to take a shot at them also. So the trade back scenario and amassing picks may be required to load up on edge and DTs and hope a few of them stick, like Snead often likes to do at corner and safety.

But if they have a shot at what they think is a sure thing at one of those spots, then I’d rather they just be sure to get one right, rather than throw shit at the wall.

muggmeister

Rookie
Th only real hole on the team is along the interior defensive line. That is the only position group that really has a net minus of players lost vs players they have signed (FA or reserve Future contract guys from the PS). So far, they have lost both Donald and Jonah Williams and have not backfilled with anyone. That is still no reason to panic or force a DT up in the daft though. They still have plenty of options to fill and even upgrade the interior line. They have the draft of course and maybe they could bring in some UDFA’s for camp bodies and PS development. Post draft they can always backfill with a post-June vet addition much like they did with Witherspoon and Robinson. Snead and his crew have had success with bringing in FA lower-cost vets or trading for unwanted backups to backfill obvious roster holes. Most teams just use it to churn the back end of the roster, but Snead’s group has shown they can find starters and key rotational pieces.

The edge position does not technically have a positional hole to fill, it just needs an upgrade, and part of that upgrade could happen from within. The Rams did not lose a starter or key rotational pieces from last year’s edge group. Although that group is/was very young (maybe too young), supplemented by AD it actually held its own for the most part. Young, Hampton, and Mathis are all second-year guys with plenty of room to grow and improve. You can also throw Vanvalkenburg from the PS into that group. Also, the much-maligned Hoecht really has only played the position for a season and a half and we saw improvement from him in the second half of the season especially with regards to setting the edge. A player’s skills and production are not static. Young players often improve while older players begin to decline. We can see where some players are capped out and they are who they are, but I do not believe that is the case with who the Rams have along the defensive front especially at the edge.
Finally some optimism, lately it's all doom, sarcasm, or verbal assaults on each other here. Sometimes it seems like supposed Rams fans can't even be friends.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The loss of AD is huge no doubt. However, I believe the Rams will bolster the Dline after the draft with either a trade or an FA pickup. They aren't done, I believe the Rams are just getting started.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The loss of AD is huge no doubt. However, I believe the Rams will bolster the Dline after the draft with either a trade or an FA pickup. They aren't done, I believe the Rams are just getting started.
Maybe but there is so little that remains available in Free Agency.

Calais Campbell might be nice; and may not ask for much $ because he will be able to collect Social Security.

I like Bryan Mone who was pretty good against the run before suffering a knee injury late in 2022.

After that, I like Joe Gaziano but that's only because he is Italian.