Rams Coaching Staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
In my opinion, the reality is that even the most die-hard Rams' fans can only know so much about individual coaches ... how good and effective they are; and how they are perceived by the players they coach. I believe the Rams' Coaching Staff did an excellent job in 2023, so I would like to see as much of the staff, as possible, return in 2024.
A very wise opinion!

The KEY to our success is we've had continuity at Head Coach!

WestCoastRam

Legend
In my opinion, the reality is that even the most die-hard Rams' fans can only know so much about individual coaches ... how good and effective they are; and how they are perceived by the players they coach. I believe the Rams' Coaching Staff did an excellent job in 2023, so I would like to see as much of the staff, as possible, return in 2024.
Anyone wanna go dumpster diving with me at Chris Shula's Manhattan Beach pad this weekend? If we find tostino's pizza rolls if def means he's 2-gapping!

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I thought I read somewhere yesterday that the assistant DL line coach was promoted to Hendersons DL line position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is why a Staley DC could make sense
Like Spagnolo, he's likely not a HC ever again, at least not in the near future
And like Reid, McVay is the defacto OC anyways
Now if the Rams could somehow develop a Dave Toub at special teams, they'd really be cooking
It was a huge statement to hire Shula over Staley for the reasons you cite. Because Shula is gone quickly if we put up a top defense this year. He has the heritage surname on top of the McVay association. Staley would have been parked on that sideline for at least a couple seasons after squandering the Chargers window.

There has to be a juicy story in there somewhere. As in McVay was pissed off about something in and around Staley's departure. Or his opinion of Shula is that strong, which is the hope of course. But I suspect there's some lingering annoyance at the very least if not dislike or anger. And I would guess it has to do with McVay needing to block that attempted OC hire.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a huge statement to hire Shula over Staley for the reasons you cite. Because Shula is gone quickly if we put up a top defense this year. He has the heritage surname on top of the McVay association. Staley would have been parked on that sideline for at least a couple seasons after squandering the Chargers window.

There has to be a juicy story in there somewhere. As in McVay was pissed off about something in and around Staley's departure. Or his opinion of Shula is that strong, which is the hope of course. But I suspect there's some lingering annoyance at the very least if not dislike or anger. And I would guess it has to do with McVay needing to block that attempted OC hire.
I've always thought that about the O'Connell block. Its one thing to "promote" an assistant, but to try and offer the guy a lateral move just gives off the vibe of an impression that the Chargers were a better situation or that the Rams one was underwhelming
Either way, I dont think McVay would cut off his nose to spite his face and would always look to put the team before any personal feelings. I think he knows what he had in Staley, and has a vision of what Shula will bring and he prefers that

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Giff Smith (cool name) has coach NFL D-Lines for most of the past fifteen years.
At 55, he will bring experience; and takes over the titles/role held by Eric Henderson.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
There's your experienced outside hire. Maybe we can all calm down now.

oldnotdead

Legend
With Staley he knows what he will get in him as DC. With Shula, his varied experience would seem to allow him to be more flexible in his schemes and game planning. The more I think about it the more I like the promotion of Shula. It's the one big advantage that IMO Pleasant would have provided over Morris. His time with both Phillips and Morris gave him a more varied perspective.

With Morris OCs knew what to expect. Perhaps with Shula that will be less so. I can see he could run a one gap DL and man coverages just as much as he could run a mixed Fangio style DL with different zone variations behind it. He was here when Phillips, Staley and Morris all ran their respective styles. It could make his defenses far more unpredictable than with any of the previous 3 DCs.

As far as him staying IMO he will likely stay at least through the 2025 season. I think Staley's one and done time with the Rams didn't sit well with McVay especially since they had plans to make the big Lombardi push so having to start over with a new DC probably didn't sit well with Sean. It explains McVay's insistence that Morris keep Staley's system which he only partially did. Sean would not block his friend from professional advancement. But neither do I see Shula pulling a Staley type one and done on McVay.

With so many young players on defense, if they are going to make changes or tweaks to the scheme this would be the time to do it.

In the same way Sean has changed his offensive scheme to be more of an intermediate passing attack, taking advantage of Stafford's ability to read defenses and his tremendous accuracy. It also makes it more of a fit to a broader range of QBs. The deep strike will always be a component of it, but it's the intermediate passing game that is now the meat of the Ram passing game.

The Rams will be a different team next season on both sides of the ball IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
In the same way Sean has changed his offensive scheme to be more of an intermediate passing attack
An intermediate passing attack is literally the calling card of the McVay offense. Like that's been a hallmark of his offense the whole time. I... I... I...

Someone... anyone... this ledge, this ledge... it's so tempting. Don't let me go to the light.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
An intermediate passing attack is literally the calling card of the McVay offense. Like that's been a hallmark of his offense the whole time. I... I... I...

Someone... anyone... this ledge, this ledge... it's so tempting. Don't let me go to the light.
1706926629649.png

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think Staley's one and done time with the Rams didn't sit well with McVay especially since they had plans to make the big Lombardi push so having to start over with a new DC probably didn't sit well with Sean.

Yeah, winning the Lombardi in 2021 after having to start over with a new DC probably didn't sit well with Sean McVay. Nothing sucks like winning a Lombardi while you had plans to make the big Lombardi push that very same year.

Eddie Murphy What GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53

first-year coach Tom Arth

How did you even become acquainted with Brandon to start with?

First of all, I’m just so, so excited for Brandon. He’s going to do such an incredible job for the Rams organization. When I first got to know Brandon, it’s kind of an interesting story. I became the head coach at my alma mater, John Carroll University, which is a prominent school in the National Football League (having produced several players and executives). I hired Jerry Schuplinski to be our defensive coordinator and had him for a couple months. We got into spring practice, and after the first or second spring practice, he got a call from Josh McDaniels, who was his college teammate, and Josh brought him to New England. So when Jerry left, I reached out to some people that I have great respect for, to look for a defensive coordinator. Jonathan Gannon, who is in Indianapolis now as defensive backs coach for the Colts — Jonathan had known Brandon growing up, I think through AAU basketball. They built a really strong relationship through that and through football and coaching. Jonathan told me, ‘There is not a better person you could talk to.”

Coming from him, that meant a lot to me, so of course, I called Brandon, I interviewed him. It was as big of a no-brainer as you can possibly imagine. Within 30 seconds of the interview, you knew there was just something really special about Brandon, just something really different. His personality, his way, his ability to teach, his knowledge and expertise and his ability to connect, all of it is really rare and it shows through pretty instantaneously. I’m sure Sean (McVay), when he met him, I’m sure he felt similarly. I knew in that moment that we were going to hire Brandon. We had him for the first year I was head coach. He went to James Madison for a year and, I think, missed what we had at John Carroll. When he left, I hired Chris Shula. Then Chris, after a year, got hired by Tom Telesco and the Chargers organization, and now obviously he’s working for Sean (as the Rams’ outside linebackers coach).

When Chris left, I called Brandon, just because we had talked all the time, throughout the year. I knew he missed it. He missed John Carroll, he missed working and doing it the way we do it. I just called him and kind of threw it (the idea of a return) out there, not really knowing what to expect. Sure enough, he was all for it. I remember that being — it said a lot about Brandon and the courage he had to leave a premier Division I FCS program to come back to a Division III school. Nobody understood that, outside our circle. Nobody could understand why he did that, but he did it for all the right reasons. Brandon came back and was our D-coordinator in 2015. Again, top-25 team in the country. Then in 2016 we made it to the national semifinals and finished third in the country. From there, we went to Chattanooga together and before spring practice started, he got hired by the Chicago Bears and Brandon went to work for Coach (Matt) Nagy and Vic, and has done a great job.

Rams fans obviously are interested in what Brandon will bring scheme-wise. In interviews, he has said that even before he got hired by Vic Fangio, he studied Fangio’s defenses a lot. Did you see that? And did he bring a lot of that stuff to your teams?

Absolutely. Vic was the coordinator for the 49ers at that time. I remember studying the 49ers structurally, very similar to what we were doing.

Just checking to see what was going on at John Carroll, seems like there was a Fangio-style there, Staley, Shula, Staley ...

jap

Legend
The Leprechaun is getting ready to lead the Horns back to the Promise Land. Get on board, or get off this train!!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not counting this Tim Berbenich guy, that's seven subtractions from the Rams 2023 Coaching Staff (Morris, Henderson, Robinson, Lake, Springer, Black and Jones) with just one confirmed addition (Giff Smith).