Rams CB Michael Jordan graded out as PFF's top player versus the Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

227364_a329461cdaf843388f05c5294a4a4ed1~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ded-out-as-PFFs-top-player-versus-the-Cowboys

As John Kosko mentioned on our podcast, Pro Football Focus will be grading all the preseason play and coming out with the top grades per each team. Rams cornerback Michael Jordan graded out higher than anyone on Saturday night which should be a breath of fresh air for Rams fans after trading away talented cornerback E.J. Gaines.

It wasn't just Jordan that stood out, more young Rams DL Tanzel Smart (87.5 grade), C Austin Blythe (82.7 grade), QB Sean Mannion (81.4 grade) and LB Kevin Davis (80.1 grade) all had quite the showing.

Here is what Pro Football Focus had to say about each player:

QB Sean Mannion, 81.4 overall grade

"With QB Jared Goff playing only two series, Mannion took advantage of a showcase opportunity going 18-of-25, including three dropped passes. It was mostly short stuff for Mannion, but his one pass over 10 yards was a post route that was right on target until Xavier Woods knocked it out. Mannion also handled pressure well, completing 4-of-5 passes with his only incompletion the aforementioned post route."

C Austin Blythe, 82.7 overall grade

"Blythe made an impact in the run game where he executed a variety of blocks at a high level. He made linebackers pay at the second level and he made multiple reach blocks to stonewall opposing nose tackles. He fielded the game’s second-highest run block grade of 83.0. It wasn’t all great as he airmailed a snap over QB Sean Mannion’s head and he surrendered a QB hit, but Blythe’s work as a run-blocker won’t go unnoticed in his battle to join the offensive line rotation this season."

CB Michael Jordan, 91.2 overall grade

"Jordan played up to his lofty name making numerous plays in the passing game all night. On his five coverage targets, he surrendered just one catch for 11 yards with two passes defenced. Quarterbacks targeting Jordan posted just a 39.6 passer rating."

DL Tanzel Smart, 87.5 overall grade

"The rookie sixth-round draft pick out of Tulane filled up the stat sheet and was disruptive all night against the run and affecting the passer. Smart recorded one hit, three hurries, one batted pass at the line of scrimmage and two tackles on his 37 snaps. He finished with a very respectable 11.1 pass-rush productivity mark."

Overall that is something to be very happy about. The Rams sixth-round interior defensive lineman was a constant pressure generating nightmare. The Rams may have also found their diamonds in the rough in the form of CB Michael Jordan and their center they claimed off of waivers in Austin Blythe. Sean Mannion left no doubt of course, whether he would be Jared Goff's backup moving forward. Hopefully these four can continue their impressive play as we move forward through the preseason.

nighttrain

Legend

227364_a329461cdaf843388f05c5294a4a4ed1~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ded-out-as-PFFs-top-player-versus-the-Cowboys

As John Kosko mentioned on our podcast, Pro Football Focus will be grading all the preseason play and coming out with the top grades per each team. Rams cornerback Michael Jordan graded out higher than anyone on Saturday night which should be a breath of fresh air for Rams fans after trading away talented cornerback E.J. Gaines.

It wasn't just Jordan that stood out, more young Rams DL Tanzel Smart (87.5 grade), C Austin Blythe (82.7 grade), QB Sean Mannion (81.4 grade) and LB Kevin Davis (80.1 grade) all had quite the showing.

Here is what Pro Football Focus had to say about each player:

QB Sean Mannion, 81.4 overall grade

"With QB Jared Goff playing only two series, Mannion took advantage of a showcase opportunity going 18-of-25, including three dropped passes. It was mostly short stuff for Mannion, but his one pass over 10 yards was a post route that was right on target until Xavier Woods knocked it out. Mannion also handled pressure well, completing 4-of-5 passes with his only incompletion the aforementioned post route."

C Austin Blythe, 82.7 overall grade

"Blythe made an impact in the run game where he executed a variety of blocks at a high level. He made linebackers pay at the second level and he made multiple reach blocks to stonewall opposing nose tackles. He fielded the game’s second-highest run block grade of 83.0. It wasn’t all great as he airmailed a snap over QB Sean Mannion’s head and he surrendered a QB hit, but Blythe’s work as a run-blocker won’t go unnoticed in his battle to join the offensive line rotation this season."

CB Michael Jordan, 91.2 overall grade

"Jordan played up to his lofty name making numerous plays in the passing game all night. On his five coverage targets, he surrendered just one catch for 11 yards with two passes defenced. Quarterbacks targeting Jordan posted just a 39.6 passer rating."

DL Tanzel Smart, 87.5 overall grade

"The rookie sixth-round draft pick out of Tulane filled up the stat sheet and was disruptive all night against the run and affecting the passer. Smart recorded one hit, three hurries, one batted pass at the line of scrimmage and two tackles on his 37 snaps. He finished with a very respectable 11.1 pass-rush productivity mark."

Overall that is something to be very happy about. The Rams sixth-round interior defensive lineman was a constant pressure generating nightmare. The Rams may have also foudn their diamonds in the rough in the form of CB Michael Jordan and their center they claimed off of waivers in Austin Blythe. Sean Mannion left no doubt of course, whether he would be Jared Goff's backup moving forward. Hopefully these four can continue their impressive play as we move forward through the preseason.
Sweet, nice comments on Ram players
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not so sure about these ratingso_O. I would have Matt Longacre rated #1. His performance playing both sides weak & strong @ the outter LB'ing spot was nothing short of spectacular. I also thought that McKinzy also gave a very good showing where he played both outside LB posts & then moved inside as well.(y)

From this initial outing the LB'ers assembled by Wade look strong & have great excellent depth overall. The DL playing without Brockers/Donald/Easley also had some interesting prospects like Bryant, Fox & Smart.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not so sure about these ratingso_O. I would have Matt Longacre rated #1. His performance playing both sides weak & strong @ the outter LB'ing spot was nothing short of spectacular. I also thought that McKinzy also gave a very good showing where he played both outside LB posts & then moved inside as well.(y)

From this initial outing the LB'ers assembled by Wade look strong & have great excellent depth overall. The DL playing without Brockers/Donald/Easley also had some interesting prospects like Bryant, Fox & Smart.
McKinzy was mind-blowing. I had no idea he would play like that. Peterson had a good game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cassanova and Carlos Thompson...and whoever they put on the D-Line played like....HOF'ers....Seriously....I'd start the same 3 just to see if it was real...That Smart guy...was the best rookie on the field for us....
Edit

I almost forgot Bryant too....beastly...may have confused Smart with some of Bryants work...

Longacre....finally will get his due....he's a perfect Connor Barwin duplicate...hell, he's looking like Von Miller

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cassanova and Carlos Thompson...and whoever they put on the D-Line played like....HOF'ers....Seriously....I'd start the same 3 just to see if it was real...That Smart guy...was the best rookie on the field for us....
Edit

I almost forgot Bryant too....beastly...may have confused Smart with some of Bryants work...

Longacre....finally will get his due....he's a perfect Connor Barwin duplicate...hell, he's looking like Von Miller
Word to the wise. If your name is Cassanova, you just know that you have a lot of living up to do. A name like that, you better be a damn star!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sometimes thing don't appear to be what the are and if you watch the one play where they are giving Jordan credit for batting the ball away, Jordan actually slips and the ball hits the WR right in the chest and he drops the ball...Now Jordan was right there, but he never touched the ball, however, the good coverage did lead to an incomplete pass and that is all that matters, but Jordan never touched the ball.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Let's see where everyone is in two more preseason games. It's easy to look good against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's see how these guys look against starters

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Edit

Ejuan Price is like a poor mans Khali Mack.

We have not even seen Sampson Ebukman

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Ejuan Price is like a poor mans Khali Mack.

We have not even seen Sampson Ebukman

I like the James Harrison comparison to Price more, although both are high praise.

Really looking forward to Ebukam, hopefully next week.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sometimes thing don't appear to be what the are and if you watch the one play where they are giving Jordan credit for batting the ball away, Jordan actually slips and the ball hits the WR right in the chest and he drops the ball...Now Jordan was right there, but he never touched the ball, however, the good coverage did lead to an incomplete pass and that is all that matters, but Jordan never touched the ball.

I do know last week during practice that there was an INT to end it. I believe it was M. Jordan again. It seems he has been making plays of late.
Against Dallas I think he made at least another play that really stood out. I don't know what all this means right now, except he is a DB to keep an eye on.
The Rams seem to be deep at DB . I really like Peterson & Hatfield at CB.
Troy Hill has stepped up as well. That is what made the EJ Gaines trade so easy.He was one and done at this point .
He cost would have been really questionable.

The Rams CB coach Aubrey Pleasanton is really a excellent coach. He is always talking to his guys about what is going on
next & about reading the play. He is constantly calling out numbers & formations.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams CB coach Aubrey Pleasanton is really a excellent coach. He is always talking to his guys about what is going on
next & about reading the play. He is constantly calling out numbers & formations.

Excellent observation Sir about Coach Pleasant, he is my choice to succeed Wade Phillips as DC once Wade retires in about five years.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I would have Matt Longacre rated #1. His performance playing both sides weak & strong @ the outter LB'ing spot was nothing short of spectacular.

Against the first-team Cowboys offensive line, no less. I know they're missing Free and Smith, but Longacre was almost Quinn-like in some situations, as Faulk (or Jaremiah) pointed out. I was very impressed.