Rams asked permission to interview Pat Shurmur for OC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have a solution. The San Diego Chargers will only be allowed to move into our shiny new stadium if they give us Philip Rivers for the next three years.
tumblr_lunn3ziiFU1qfjd5jo1_250.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cmon we don't know what was talked about in that meeting. And we don't know if DeFilippo was even offered a job after they talked.

Again they talked, maybe it wasn't a fit! Shurmur is a good coach and won't be the next hot thing aka meaning "Consistency" & "long term" is good where I come from...... Just saying'

Him not being offered the job would only make things worse in my eyes.

As I said in the post you responded to, Fisher has no business dictating what a fit is or isn't on the offensive side of the ball. Hire an intelligent offensive mind and let him do his job.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

It would suck having to eat that contract but it would be like in the MLB when a team agrees to pay a portion of a players contract as part of the terms of a trade. You are not allowed to do that in the NFL, yet in this scenario that is essentially what would happen in a sense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seems pretty clear what the plan is if they hire Shurmur:

* Get Foles right and allow him a chance to beat out Keenum.
* Draft a QB who will take his redshirt season while the QB position is temp filled by one of the above.
* Add a FA receiver and draft a couple weapons.

It is not a bad plan IF they do both things. But if they decide to spend their high end draft capital on other-than-QB, well, I'm gonna be pi$$ed.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Maybe rivers can play for both teams?:hiding:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not when we need his roster spot.(as you alluded to in your post)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

That's reason enough to cut him as far as I'm concerned. No point in wasting the roster spot when we can give reps to someone else. I'd prefer to roll with Keenum, Mannion, a 1st round draft pick, and possibly one other veteran not named Nick Foles.

Athos

Legend
Pat Shurmur? Good lord.

The more things change.... the more we stay 7-9.

This may be my last post here..

But did anyone really expect magic fairy dust to be sprinkled from on high from THIS kind of owner? One I don't believe even cares about sports in the long run, just the financial benefit and ego boost that they give him? That's high delusion. He has what he wants now. An LA stadium. He REALLY has no reason to win.

Fisher is his fall guy. To be swept away for still greater mediocrity, but not before conning the public into buying up a whole bunch of PSL's and season tickets, and memorabilia, etc.

And with a guy like Fisher, you maintain mediocrity.

ShurmurMurmur ran one of the most boring offenses I've ever seen in my life when he was here. Watching paint dry would actually show more diversity than Murmur's play calling. It was truly awful.

In 2009 when he was here, 5.5yards/pass. 12 TDs. 16 overall TDs. 2010? 6yards/pass.

At Cleveland? Averaged under 6/yards pass again. A half yard better his second year. I don't think anyone really believes Murmur was calling plays for Chip with the Eagles. Fat chance. He was there for proxy and hopefully a fall guy. Iggles eventually too smart for that

The more things change the more they stay the same? Undoubtedly with him. Fisher wants guys he can control. Just like Stan wants guys he can control. Thus the never ending cycle of good ole' rich boys doing the bidding of others.

It's quite hilarious. And after a week to think on it, I don't even care anymore. You guys had a chance at a guy who running passing plays that could be successful for guys like Johnny SuckBall and McGown and made a journeyman TE into a 1000 yard receiver and had T. Benjamin have his career year so far by a good 600+ extra yards. And you PASS on that for a choice between Boras and Murmur? Oh lord. I almost feel sorry for the continued Rams fans now. It doesn't matter where they go, mediocrity and stone age offense will follow.

I'll be moving on to the Packers for now. Family/Fan owned. May cut out the NFL entirely and follow soccer.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Seems pretty clear what the plan is if they hire Shurmur ... But if they decide to spend their high end draft capital on other-than-QB, well, I'm gonna be pi$$ed.
Well I think you should prepare to be pissed then. I don't think your plan is accurate because Shurmur is infamous for his philosophy of "QB-proof" offense. He believes in designing an offense that any warm body can plug into at the QB position, and that limited QB talent can be "schemed around". Therefore, it would not be surprising at all for the Rams to not draft a QB. Just considering Shurmur sends up a huge red flag that Fisher is content with what we have at QB and we will not do anything bold to bring in a legit QB, and next season is going to be more of the same QB play we've suffered through for half a decade. Fisher is sending a clear signal (reminder?) that boring, bland, check down, play-not-to-lose QBs -- not excellence -- is his goal. It's certainly a huge gut punch to my offseason excitement, but yeah I know I should know better by now.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Omg this is starting to actually look like it's going to happen. And when it does I'm going to be the idiot that says, "No guys, it's all good, it'll work out this time", right before Sammy breaks his everything.
ROLMAO, that's exactly when it happens too. Right when skeptics like you or I buy into it. Just the power of un-luck that this franchise brings to bear I guess.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Oh lord no, just promote Boras, I don't wanna go back to the Super-Ultra-Mega conservative Pat Shurmur offenses of 2009 and 2010, with the way Fisher prefers his offense to be, this would be a match made in hell.