Rams are getting down to the business of the NFL off-season/LA Times

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams are getting down to the business of the NFL off-season even before they get out to L.A.

By Gary Klein

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-la-rams-20160216-story.html

They journeyed to Hawaii to play in the Pro Bowl and made the rounds as product pitchmen in San Francisco before the Super Bowl.

Rams running back Todd Gurley and defensive lineman Aaron Donald are now looking forward to another milepost in their travelogue: Arriving with former St. Louis teammates in Southern California.

"All I know is we'll be [playing games] at the Coliseum," Gurley said a few days before the Super Bowl. "To be continued."

Said Donald: "We're waiting to hear something before we start going out trying to find some place to live and things like that."

Coordinating the franchise's move from St. Louis to Los Angeles is one of many tasks that will keep the Rams busy during the NFL off-season, which officially began following the Denver Broncos' Super Bowl victory over the Carolina Panthers on Feb. 7. The new league year begins next month.

Tuesday is the first day that teams can designate franchise or transition players.

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins is among 18 Rams players who will become free agents in March, and he is regarded as a possible candidate to get a franchise tag. Players in that situation are required to stay with their current team for one season and they earn no less than the average of the top five salaries at their position, or 120% of their previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

The NFL scouting combine begins Feb. 23 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

California's Jared Goff, North Dakota State's Carson Wentz and Memphis' Paxton Lynch are among the quarterbacks who will be participating. Rams Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead have said that Case Keenum would go into training camp as the Rams' starting quarterback. But Fisher also noted that "we're always looking."

Teams can begin contract negotiations with unrestricted free agents on March 7, two days before the signing period officially begins. Jenkins, cornerback Trumaine Johnson, safety Rodney McLeod, safety/linebacker Mark Barron and defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims are among 12 unrestricted free agents.

March 9 is the deadline to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents for whom teams want to retain a right of first refusal. For the Rams, Keenum is a priority. Snead said last month that "we're not going to let him go somewhere else." April 22 is the deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets. If Keenum accepts an offer sheet from another team, the Rams would have five days to match it and retain his services. If they lose him, the Rams could be granted one or more compensatory draft picks.

On April 18, teams with returning head coaches can begin off-season workout programs, known as organized team activities or OTAs.

"We just know April 18, we'll be in L.A, and report to OTAs," safety T.J. McDonald said. "We don't know where it's going to be at, but we'll be there."

The team is expected to conduct off-season training activities at the Oxnard facility that has been utilized by the Dallas Cowboys for training camp. The Rams spent three days practicing in Oxnard last August.

"I'm always ready to get back to work," Donald said. "When the season's over, it's good to have a couple weeks off — and then you get bored after a while.

Rams say more than 56,000 deposits for season tickets are received by deadline
"You miss football, but I'm ready to get going. It's a new city and new place, with fans watching us that are pumped up about us coming. So it's going to be fun."

The NFL draft will be April 28-30 in Chicago. The Rams have the 15th overall pick.

Teams can hold a three-day rookie mini-camp the weekend after the draft. Where the Rams would stage the mini-camp is still to be determined.

Gurley and Donald are looking forward to eventually getting settled.

"I know a couple people out there," Gurley said. "I'll be like the new kid on the block, just meeting people."

Donald sounded as if he was ready for the season.

"A lot of fans out in L.A. are excited about us coming out there," he said. "I'm ready to go out there and win some games for these guys and give these fans something to cheer about.

"That's what it's about: Winning games. And that's what we've got to do."

Ram65

Legend
Glad to read Gurley and Donald are ready to go. Lot's going to go on with the move. I think Demoff, Fisher and Snead will make it as smooth as possible.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems apparent that the LA media is going to take some time to build relationships and be able to get some real info on our team. These stories are all so general. Are the papers telling their baseball guys to cover football? They need to get some dedicated football reporters. I don't foresee getting in depth articles for quite some time.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NBC’s Mario Solis interviews Realtor Kofi Nartey on the Rams relocation to Los Angeles. One of the biggest decisions for the players is where they’ll live. There are many appealing areas but traffic and distance from the Rams training facility has to be a major consideration in their decision.

Watch Rams Relocation Story

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Is it just me or do the Rams players seemed really pumped to have a bunch of new fans, and pumped to play their absolute best for the Los Angeles fans? I love it! We're gonna have a great first season in Los Angeles!

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Sticker shock for the players moving to the LA area. I had that when I moved an hour closer to Philly and just half hour to 45 minutes from center city Philly. Same size house increased 100,000.

RamBill

Legend
Join Rams Reporter Dani Klupenger and Rams Insider Myles Simmons for a look back at some of the biggest headlines in January. Topics include Gurley as Offensive ROY, Kevin Greene and Orlando Pace making the Hall of Fame, the Rams 3 Pro Bowlers and their experience in Hawaii, a Senior Bowl report, Chris Long and TJ McDonald reports, plus more.

Watch Rams January Report

RamBill

Legend
KTLA’s “Rams Jam” series continues. They circle back with the LA Rams VP of Ticketing and Premium Seating Jake Bye to talk about what’s next in the process of people who are on the wait list for season tickets and we also talk to him about individual tickets. The season tickets will become available in April, while individual game tickets will probably become available in August. “People will be pleasantly surprised when ticket prices are announced.”

Watch Rams Ticket Update

RamBill

Legend
Superagent Leigh Steinberg joins the Ramble On podcast talking about the Rams moving back to Los Angeles, how he tried to keep the Rams here 21 years ago, how free agency can be impacted and plenty more.

Listen to Steinberg Interview

RamBill

Legend
Five Rams rank among PFF's top 45 free agents
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26930/five-rams-rank-among-pffs-top-45-free-agents

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Los Angeles Rams have no shortage of unrestricted free agents this offseason. At this point, they're working to get deals done with key players like cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins and safeties Mark Barron and Rodney McLeod.

But with free agency set to open in a few weeks, it can be hard to get players to re-sign before they test the market. There's a negotiating window that opens just before the new league year actually starts but the reality is that a lot of talks will heat up at next week's NFL scouting combine.

Earlier this week, Pro Football Focus unveiled its list of the top 75 free agents for 2016. Given how many free agents the Rams have, it's no surprise they had multiple names on the list. In fact, they had five players within the top 45.

Defensive tackle Nick Fairley was the highest rated at No. 22. While his numbers didn't show it, PFF thought highly of his down to down pressure and the job he did in a limited role. Defensive end William Hayes (No. 32), Johnson (No. 40), Jenkins (No. 41) and Barron (No. 45) also landed on the list.

The Rams would like to keep all of those players and will likely have the cap space to make it happen but it might not be realistic to do so and also bolster the offense, which is in dire need of attention and resources.

In an ideal world, the Rams will be able to get two or three deals done before free agency opens. We'll find out soon enough if they can make that happen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The business of the off season should be retaining their own free agents. You can't groom them to be solid players only to let them go somewhere else in the prime of their careers. If they lose their best players they'll always be production factory for the other teams. Show us you're serious about winning by keeping your top players.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
NBC’s Mario Solis interviews Realtor Kofi Nartey on the Rams relocation to Los Angeles. One of the biggest decisions for the players is where they’ll live. There are many appealing areas but traffic and distance from the Rams training facility has to be a major consideration in their decision.

Watch Rams Relocation Story
One thing they are absolutely right about in this piece. If the player get stuck in traffic here, it can take a while to get where you want to go!
FOR EXAMPLE: I Live in Simi Valley Calif. An easy 20 drive to where the Rams will Practice. Add Heavy Traffic, It could Take an Hour to get their!! Add an accident on the Freeway an hour and a half minimum!! I know, I've lived in this area for 30 years!!
I hope they player's are really, Really careful when they go shopping for their New Dig's!!
IF I where them, I'd look in the Westlake/Thousand Oaks/Simi Valley area's it has everything a Family man is looking for! ( Not much for Singles!! But I don't think they will want to drive any further!

SierraRam

Recreational User
It seems apparent that the LA media is going to take some time to build relationships and be able to get some real info on our team. These stories are all so general. Are the papers telling their baseball guys to cover football? They need to get some dedicated football reporters. I don't foresee getting in depth articles for quite some time.

Maybe never, unfortunately. I follow the Dodgers too, and it's incredibly difficult to get real information out of their local media. The 'Bums' have been infested with drama the last few seasons, but according to the LA papers, it's all sunshine and lollipops.

I'm hoping you get your wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if what you've seen so far is the norm more often than not...

SierraRam

Recreational User
Sticker shock for the players moving to the LA area. I had that when I moved an hour closer to Philly and just half hour to 45 minutes from center city Philly. Same size house increased 100,000.

-Here ya go - 1100 sq. feet and 60 years old. La Mirada sucked when I lived in SoCal 40 years ago! Doubt if it's gotten better

$500,000 : 14124 Angell Street, La Mirada

4 beds, 2 full baths
Home size: 1,144 sq ft
Lot size: 5,539 sqft
Year built: 1955

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe never, unfortunately. I follow the Dodgers too, and it's incredibly difficult to get real information out of their local media. The 'Bums' have been infested with drama the last few seasons, but according to the LA papers, it's all sunshine and lollipops.

I'm hoping you get your wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if what you've seen so far is the norm more often than not...
L.A. Has not had a Good Sports Writing Staff at a News Paper since the Old " L.A. Herald Examiner " went out of business! JMHO
I'm hoping things change in the near future!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I hope your wrong. These guys make JT look like a cutting edge scooper.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

They haven't had to worry about having a beat reporter for two decades. It'll take them a little bit to figure out who is best suited for the job and who likes it/wants to do it. They'll get it figured out.

@snackdaddy I've said the same thing, FA strategy is retention not acquisition IMO.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
-Here ya go - 1100 sq. feet and 60 years old. La Mirada sucked when I lived in SoCal 40 years ago! Doubt if it's gotten better

$500,000 : 14124 Angell Street, La Mirada

4 beds, 2 full baths
Home size: 1,144 sq ft
Lot size: 5,539 sqft
Year built: 1955
Wow buddy, that's a small house for the money. All I can say is wow. Thats not much bigger than mine and mine would go for 200,000,