Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Aztecs assistant coach Ron Gould hired by NFL’s Rams less than a month into role at SDSU​

San Diego State is looking for a new associate head coach/running backs coach for the second time in a month after Ron Gould was hired by the Los Angeles Rams.

Word of Gould’s departue broke late Friday night on social media, with Houston-based TV reporter Aaron Wilson tweeting the news.

A San Diego State spokesman confirmed the move to the Union-Tribune. School officials had no immediate word on a staff replacement, either on an interim or permanent basis.

Gould’s Twitter account still listed his SDSU titles. His last post was Feb. 6, the day his hiring was officially announced by the Aztecs:

Gould was at SDSU’s practice on Friday and reportedly told the running backs that he was leaving.

SDSU is two weeks into offseason workouts that will continue through March 23, when the team plays its annual Spring Game at Snapdragon Stadium.

Gould was among three new position coaches on the field. He replaced Jeff Horton, who retired in January.

Gould, 57, has more than three decades of college coaching experience, including four years as the head coach at UC Davis (2013-16).

His time with the Aggies was sandwiched between a pair of Pac-12 assignments — 16 years at Cal (1997-2012) and six years at Stanford (2017-22).

This is Gould’s first job with an NFL team. The position with the Rams opened up when Ra’Shaad Samples left to become passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at Arizona State.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think that was the final position-coach role to fill.

Probably a couple of lower-level offensive and/or defensive assistants spots still to be announced.

The larger question for me will be how Pleasant and Lake are assigned; and the impact on Shula.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like the hire of Gould because he's an experienced Assistant Coach plus has been a Head Coach. I felt Samples was too young at the time and there was a disconnect between him & Akers for whatever it was. Gould should be able to use all his experience to capture the room as that RB room will be a challenge plus most likely if the Rams draft a RB, Gould should be able to provide positive input coming from the collegiate Ranks.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Rams hire SDSU's Ron Gould as RBs coach​

USATSI_9517325.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

March 4, 2023 6:31 am PT

After seeing Ra’Shaad Samples and Thomas Brown both leave, the Los Angeles Rams needed to find a new running backs coach this offseason. They’ve reportedly done so, once again going to the college ranks for this hire.

According to Aaron Wilson, the Rams are hiring Ron Gould to coach their running backs. Gould was named San Diego State’s running backs coach in February after spending six seasons in that role at Stanford, but he’s making the leap to the NFL for the first time.

Gould, 57, has been coaching at the college level since 1990. In addition to coaching running backs, he’s also been a head coach at UC Davis and coached the DBs at Boise State in the ‘90s.

During his time at Stanford, he coached Bryce Love. And while he was coaching the running backs at Cal from 1997-2007, he worked with the likes of Marshawn Lynch and Jahvid Best.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well never mind about my previous post, now it's being reported.....damn u internet lol....sounds like an awesome hire. Kudos to RocknRam29 for getting that info out there so soon.

Den-the-coach made sure we saw all the reports again.

My view is I think Barry Sanders son played for him as well at Stanford.He became the RB’s coach right after McCaffery left for the NFL. Having HC experience is huge & the years of knowledge as well make this a nice step into the NFL ranks.
—Rams going in the college to find a RB’s coach is sort of a weird take by some reporters.I’d say trying the Rams had Pete was a NFL coach. Who was in Dallas until now.Then Thomas Brown has been with The Rams since then & just got a NFL OC job.The fact The Rams hired Sample was to try to promote Thomas Brown which did happen in Carolina. He finished the 2022 season as The Rams RB coach.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Looking forward to seeing what Gould brings to the room. Looks like a much better hire than last year’s experiment at first glance. He should be able to hold the RBs together and provide good leadership there.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I get the impression that McVay put some real thought into the hire of a RB coach. And I feel like he made a solid choice.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Breakdown of some of the New Assistants across the board:

Mike LaFleur (Offensive Coordinator)...Only the Rams would hire a guy who oversaw a team scoring like 15 points in his last two games, however, LaFleur does have an aptitude to improve the run game plus in New York was saddled with a rookie QB that appears to be struggling in so many areas, this is who McVay wanted, so let's hope LaFleur can make life easier for McVay.

Ryan Wendell (Offensive Line)...Really would love to know what went on between McVay & former OL Coach Aaron Kromer because McVay kept his son Zak on staff and now has hired his understudy as the new OL Coach in Wendell plus promoting Zak to Assistant OL Coach to assist him. Anyways Wendell is a former player plus played Center for several years so hopefully he can ignite a unit that not only suffered major injuries across the board, but need to enforce their will more on the opposition becoming more physical at the point of attack.

Nick Caley (Tight Ends)...This unit suffered last year because Thomas Brown was the position, but was called upon to coach up the RB's more because of the discourse with Ra'Shaad Samples, which in turn gave Zak Kromer an opportunity to assist and led to his promotion to the offensive line. Fans of the Patriots were not fans of Caley because they felt they did not see their TE's doing much even though there was some talent with Hunter Henry & Jonnu Smith. Regardless Caley has plenty of experience coaching this unit and one can only hope it should be an upgrade by default.

Ron Gould (Running Backs)...Happy to have Coach Gould as the Rams were rebuffed by Texas RB Coach Tashard Choice & UCLA RB Coach DeShaun Foster. Gould brings a wealth of experience plus was a Head Coach in college too at UC Davis. Again this should give the Rams a leg up in the room based on Gould's experience and stellar reputation, with hope he can also provide input on a draft choice, if the Rams go in that direction.

Joe Coniglio (Outside Linebackers)...Love this hire because for one, he was McVay's roommate in college and even looks somewhat like him. Played DE/OLB at Miami of Ohio (The Cradle of Coaches) has coached at Rhode Island, Kent State & most recently Navy. Seems like he will bring some great energy to a unit that needs more production for the defense to be successful.

Aubrey Pleasant (Defensive Backs)...Reunited & feels so good, Pleasant seemed to be an assistant on the rise when he left the Rams to go to Detroit to coach the Lions and add Passing game coordinator to his title, but Pleasant proved Thomas Wolfe right that you can't go home again. Something went awry in Detroit as the Lion secondary was very bad, however, after relieving Pleasant of his duties the Lions secondary was vastly improved. Could have been injuries, but Pleasant an excellent DB Coach with the Rams and has been welcome back with open arms.

Jimmy Lake (Secondary)...My favorite addition due to the fact that at the collegiate level, Lake coached & coordinated aggressive defenses that were always in the upper echelon statistically. Was with DC Raheem Morris back in his Tampa days, so now that Morris has improved Secondary coaches, his unit hopefully be more aggressive then laying back in that soft zone.

Now I'm sure next week, the Rams will make the formal announcement of the staff overall, but I wanted to put some of the new hires under the microscope with hope that McVay now has another great staff in place for success in 2023.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am hoping we see Gould's effect immediately in the way the Rams approach that depth. We currently look 2 deep, with one being a horse and the other a change of pace. If he watches enough film of the past few years he should be able to do what Staples and previous Rams RB coaches have been too stupid to do and get the depth sorted correctly. This really isn't rocket science.

I'd of course be fine with a guy in the draft who can do both type roles, i.e. hitting on a real stud, but they are hard to find. And if you separate the two roles it is much easier to properly stack your RB room for a by-committee approach as you can get both types well into the draft and add good character while you're at it. That room of ours badly needs both sides of that particular coin.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The Rams have some not-so-descriptive titles.

Jimmy Lake is going with the title of Assistant Head Coach.
Officially, he's taking over Thomas Brown's position title, which was with the offense.

Assistant Head Coach: Jimmy Lake
Lake takes over the title previously held by Thomas Brown, who was hired by the Panthers as their offensive coordinator on new head coach Frank Reich's staff.

There's going to be a Secondary Coach, Chris Beake, and a Defensive Back/Pass Game Coordinator, Aubrey Pleasant.

Once the season starts for real, if anyone outside the team can figure out exactly what each guy is doing, great.

Last edited:

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Guess I've been living under a rock or something.....
Nice to see Aubrey Pleasant back!!!!