Ram notes: Young, undrafted D-linemen have Fisher's attention/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram notes: Young, undrafted D-linemen have Fisher's attention
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_23fb3891-1662-5ec9-8ef2-fcb204dba4ca.html

They are the youngsters, two of the new guys on a Rams defensive line loaded with talent and experience.

But undrafted rookies Louis Trinca-Pasat from Iowa and ex-Northwest Missouri State star Matt Longacre are trying to force the coaching staff into making some tough roster decisions.

“Both have been really impressive,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Saturday night’s preseason loss to the Indianapolis Colts at the Edward Jones Dome. “Matt’s playing both ends and Trinca-Pasat’s playing both tackles. They just make plays. They shock and shed people and get off blocks and penetrate and put pressure on the quarterback, so it’s been great to have them here.’’

In Saturday’s game, Trinca-Pasat led both teams with 54 defensive snaps, with Longacre in on 42. Both were on the field for a pair of special-team plays.

“Just trying to make the most of every opportunity,’’ said Trinca-Pasat, a 6-foot-1, 292-pounder from Chicago who’s second behind linebacker Bryce Hager on the team with 15 preseason tackles to go along with three QB pressures and a QB hit. “I don’t ever want to say I’m doing the job because I always feel like there’s more work to be done. That’s just my mindset.

“As soon as you think you’ve done something, that’s when you get complacent.’’

The MIAA defensive player of the year as a senior, Longacre is right behind Trinca-Pasat with 13 overall tackles in the preseason. And he leads the squad with six QB pressures.

“You always want to play better, but I feel like I’m making the most of my chances,’’ said Longacre, a 6-2, 260-pounder from Omaha, Neb. “I’ve been able to put some good things on film, but the real key is the learning I’ve done here. You never know how the interaction is going to be, but the guys on the D-line have been incredible. They’ve taken us in, answered questions and helped us all along the way.’’

Trinca-Pasat added: “It’s a blessing, getting to work with this unit every day. These guys, this is the best D-line in the league, honestly, and working with them and with (defensive line coach Mike Waufle), I’ve learned so much since the start of OTAs.’’

Both players can expect to see plenty of action when the Rams close out the preseason Thursday against the Kansas City Chiefs at the Edward Jones Dome. After that, it’ll be final cuts to the 53-man roster.

“The Rams gave me a chance and I’m going to go as hard as I can to make the most of it,’’ Longacre said. “For me, the big thing is to come out of this experience with absolutely no regrets.”

The cuts “are definitely in the back of your mind, but it’s one of those things you cannot control, so it makes no sense to worry about it,’’ Trinca-Pasat said. “The focus is on the field, doing your best and working to get better every day.’’

OTHER DEFENSIVE LEADERS

Rookie linebacker Bryce Hager, a seventh-round draft pick from Baylor, leads the Rams with 16 overall tackles, including 13 solos. He also recovered a fumble early in the second half against the Colts to help set up a 3-yard TD run by Trey Watts.

“Bryce is getting better and better each week,’’ Fisher said. “He’s playing both inside and outside and on (special) teams for us.’’

Hager is the son of former NFL linebacker Britt Hager whose nine-year pro career wrapped up with the Rams in 1997.

Defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, a second-round draft pick in 2014, has 13 tackles (nine solos), tying him with Trinca-Pasat for second on the squad. Another second-year pro, defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks has 11 tackles, including seven solos, and three QB pressures.

RAM-BLINGS

With lightning in the area, the Rams went inside for Monday’s late afternoon workout.“Anytime we get lightning within 12, 14 miles then we’re going to come in,’’ Fisher said. “Unfortunately that was the case, but (got in) great work. Great workout but a difficult day. ... Cut-down day is a tough day.’’The Rams cut their roster from 89 to 77 on Monday. They still must cut two players to get to 75 before Tuesday’s 3 p.m. league deadline.

Not practicing Monday: RB Tre Mason (hamstring), CB Brandon McGee (foot), LBs Daren Bates (knee) and Jo-Lonn Dunbar (shoulder soreness), Gs Jamon Brown (ankle) and Andrew Donnal (finger), T Rodger Saffold (shoulder) and DTs Michael Brockers (shoulder), Doug Worthington and Nick Fairley (collarbone).

• Among a handful of players getting in some extra work Monday after practice at Rams Park were tight ends Alex Bayer and Justice Cunningham, working on their long-snapping skills.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Longacre does all that work at 260 lbs? Damn! LTP belongs...Longacre probably belongs on an NFL roster too...

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rookie Defensive Linemen Making Impact
By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rookie-Defensive-Linemen-Making-Impact/4f9aa786-1f30-402c-b6b3-2e6daa9e999e

The strength of the Rams’ defensive line was no secret heading into training camp and it is touted as one of the best in the NFL. After three preseason games, some of the unit’s newest members are also making plays.

Take a look at the preseason defensive statistics and two of the team’s leaders in tackles are undrafted rookies on the defensive front. Louis Trinca-Pasat, out of Iowa, owns the second spot on the list with 15 total tackles, while Matt Longacre of Northwest Missouri State is tied for third with 13. Even though the rookies are working alongside some of the best defensive linemen in the league, they haven’t gone unnoticed according to head coach Jeff Fisher.

“Both have been really impressive,” Fisher said. “Matt’s playing both ends. Trinca-Pasat’s playing both tackles. They just make plays. They shock and shed people and get off blocks and penetrate and put pressure on the quarterback, so it’s been great to have them here.”

Longacre was named the 2014 NCAA Division-II MIAA Defensive Player of the Year and attributes much of his growth and early success to the veterans and returning linemen.

“It’s been great and I couldn’t have asked for a better situation from that aspect,” Longacre said. “They’re some of the best at their position and whenever I have a question I know I can go up and ask them.”

First-year defensive end Martin Ifedi is also in the mix with seven total tackles of his own, along with two quarterback pressures. Longacre leads the team in that category with six pressures through three preseason games.

Both Longacre and Trinca-Pasat said the time spent practicing and learning under defensive line coach Mike Waufle has been invaluable.

“He’s a true mentor and coach,” Trinca-Pasat said. “Everything I have learned from him since OTAs to this point, I wish I had known in college. I would have been a much better player and it’s helped me improve. His confidence in us helps us have confidence in ourselves, and he gives us the belief that we can play at this level.”

Longacre said Waufle is one of the reasons he wanted to come to St. Louis, he is widely regarded as one of the best defensive line coaches in the NFL.

“He’s had a huge impact on me and you can’t put a price on the knowledge he has,” Longacre said. “He’s taught me so much. It’s the little things he shows us that you really don’t think about that go into a pass rush and defending the run. I’ve really seen all of that up my game.”

The fourth preseason game will feature ample snaps for second and third-string players, providing a significant stage before the final roster is set. But the rookies said they know they can’t worry about that.

“My goal is to be the most dominant player I can be and control what I can control,” Trinca-Pasat said. “I just want to make most of the opportunity that’s presented to me and give it my all. I play because I love this game and I enjoy the process. The rest will work itself out.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to see the Rams make room for those two young DL, although I can't imagine how they'd do that. But I think some fresh blood would be a good thing for that unit.

Athos

Legend
Pasat should make the team. He's flashed more than FAirley has. He's got some nice burst.

If we don't someone will snatch him up.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Rams DL cuts will probably be starting for some other team. What a change from a few years ago!

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Can and when will we get an update on Fairley? Why is his collarbone injury such a secret? Can A COACH comment on his healing time or when we can EVER expect to see him? What is the top secret deal? Why can't we ask questions about Fairley? Will he ever play a play for the ST. LOUIS RAMS? I think you get the idea by now. If he is cut do we lose 3 Million? Coach please shed some light on a guy if healthy we could really use this season.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Would like to keep both of them, but it doesn't seem likely unless we surprise cut a guy like Sims or Westbrooks, which doesn't seem to likely either. Apparently we have been receiving trade offers for our DL, so maybe we go route. These two are just too good to cut though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They both caught me eye, early on. They have a chance to play, don't know if it's here or not. I like the way that Trinca-Pasat can cut through the lines, and make a play, wonder how how does that???
290_richard_kiel_interview.jpg

Loved you as an actor, Mr. Kiel

Longacre has been my sleeper from the first time I saw him scrimmage.