QB Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You guys know that I'm all in with Hundley, since I've already proposed this myself. Food for thought, LA Rams, loved LA QB, this would be great for helping to get a young LA fan base. Brett ran a 4.6 at the combing last year, and have an above average arm. He was the most accurate thrower at game changers. He showed massive improvement at a short time in Green Bay, and Mike McCarthy recently said he has incredible work ethic. I wouldn't hesitate to do something like this, for all the reasons listed. Price to high? What's the price to move up to get some rawer in Lynch?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You guys know that I'm all in with Hundley, since I've already proposed this myself. Food for thought, LA Rams, loved LA QB, this would be great for helping to get a young LA fan base. Brett ran a 4.6 at the combing last year, and have an above average arm. He was the most accurate thrower at game changers. He showed massive improvement at a short time in Green Bay, and Mike McCarthy recently said he has incredible work ethic. I wouldn't hesitate to do something like this, for all the reasons listed. Price to high? What's the price to move up to get some rawer in Lynch?

Not sure why Ram's FO would pick Mannion with the 3rd and along with 32 other teams would let Hundley drop to the 5th somehow end up giving future draft picks away to acquire him

If it's a young unproven guy, we got one they value far higher in Mannion

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
If the Rams can finally put together a decent O-Line the Rams can make a superstar out of any of these young QB's. It all begins with protection and giving time for the passing game to work.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually wouldn't be averse to gambling that Keenum will improve while the Rams develop another QB behind him.

However, Keenum currently is not a QB that defenses have any particular reason to fear.
Keenum Y/G 138
2015 TD Percentage 3.2%

Some of that is the system, of course

Fitzpatrick Y/G 244.1
2015 TD Percentage 5.5%

In 2014 under a different system it was 5.4%. He's always been someone who finds the end zone. His career, including the early years when he came out of the Ivy League, h e has averaged 4.4%

What Fitzpatrick would do for the Rams' offense is give defenses a reason not to just sit on Gurley. Because if they did, Fitzpatrick has shown over his career that he will make defenses pay. His biggest problem (and Fisher may reject him for that) are the interceptions he throws at times - though if the defense is playing back to try for those, then Gurley will have more space.

Obviously the cost matters, but I tend to think that the Rams are more likely to have a big season with Fitzpatrick than they would with Keenum.
Fitzpatrick Td % when working with Chan Gailey is 4.9 without Chan, it's 3.7.
I just don't see where he's an upgrade.
Houston was so impressed with him that they traded him away so they could play Brian Hoyer.
Heck he may not have even played for the Jets if Geno Smith didn't get sucker punched.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Experts, including no less than Polian, have declared that none of the big 3 QB's should be allowed anywhere near the field in their 1st year. Other pundits have declared that no QB in this class appears to have Pro Bowl potential. Still others have claimed that none of the QB's this year would have been higher than the third taken in last year's draft, if even that.

Sooooo... Why in the world should we mortgage our draft at the top this year and maybe some next year for a Goff or Wentz? It reminds me of my youth when I would get a bad case of " new car fever". My desire would overcome my common sense every time.

Taking a QB high is a long-term investment 43. It's not about next year. It's about all the years afterwards too. It's about if you hit on that QB you are in business for the next decade.

If you move up and take Goff or Wentz, for example, you still require them to beat out Keenum, who is similar to all those "bridge" type QBs we have been discussing. Otherwise they get a clipboard and get in line. But that's ok man, because at that point you have a future.

This team has not had a future for far too long my friend. Stop the madness. Each year they ignore the problem the losses are going to pile up in time. Suck it up now and fix the problem. IMO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not sure why Ram's FO would pick Mannion with the 3rd and along with 32 other teams would let Hundley drop to the 5th somehow end up giving future draft picks away to acquire him

Because how Hundley would transition was unknown and Mannion came from a pro style offense. However, if the word is that he's knocking it out of the park development-wise, then it really doesn't matter where he was drafted. Pretty sure no one lines up against the Pats and thinks it's gonna be an easy night against a 6th round scrub.

If his development warrants it and he's now worthy from a pro personnel perspective of acquisition, then do it. If Hundley can be that Franchise guy for us then do it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Wow what a list of Government Cheese QB's. It's like closing time and deciding to settle for the one eyed fat smelly girl cause that's all you aspire to.
How about setting the sights on a QB that has the traits and abilities to lead a team to a SB win.
You can't sign one unless they are end of their career.Other teams know what they have better than anyone else. Put it this way, if the Rams knew Mannion could get them to the SB in 2017 how may 1st rd picks would it take to get him?

Only way is draft one and roll the dice. Don't get ti right try again.
Can't wait 2 more years otherwise while he gets up to speed the core will age and have to start another rebuild.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I don't why they picked Mannion, over Hundley, but whatevs....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Taking a QB high is a long-term investment 43. It's not about next year. It's about all the years afterwards too. It's about if you hit on that QB you are in business for the next decade.

If you move up and take Goff or Wentz, for example, you still require them to beat out Keenum, who is similar to all those "bridge" type QBs we have been discussing. Otherwise they get a clipboard and get in line. But that's ok man, because at that point you have a future.

This team has not had a future for far too long my friend. Stop the madness. Each year they ignore the problem the losses are going to pile up in time. Suck it up now and fix the problem. IMO.

I'm just not that sold on the big 3 QB's, Merlin.

Almost all the pundits are waving caution flags about them.

Meanwhile, terrific football players will be sitting there at our pick.

That's my problem.

I'm unwilling to go all in on one of these 3 QB's by mortgaging our draft future.

If the FO guesses wrong, then where is this future you're referring to?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't why they picked Mannion, over Hundley, but whatevs....

I had a premonition that the Rams will take Joel Stave in the 2nd so I'm right there with you
:headexplosion:

(I still like Mannion though :baghead:)

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Right, cuz that's how it worked with Brett Favre, Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett...

If "draft or bust" we're the only way to do it, Kurt Warner woulda never made it.

So, can we ease up a little?

The answer is that NO ONE knows the future.

We may draft "the future", he may get injured and QB X may have a Warner-esque season. Who knows?

Plenty of highly touted guys have sucked eggs and plenty of guys have proven that they were more than the sum of their parts.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Bottom line is: no realistic options here.
Hundley--I've never been impressed with him, I wouldn't trade Mannion straight across for him
Rivers--no way Chargers get rid of him
Stafford--same as Rivers
McCarron--same as Hundley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm unwilling to go all in on one of these 3 QB's by mortgaging our draft future.

If the FO guesses wrong, then where is this future you're referring to?

The Redskins missed on RG3 after "mortgaging" their future. Since that time they made the playoffs, what, twice?

If the FO guesses wrong I'll tell you exactly what they do: guess again next year. At least they won't be settling.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Offer Tre Mason + picks to the Titans and get Goff.

Go to #1 for Goff???

Why???

Cleveland's going to take Wentz. NO ONE is going to trade up to #1 for Goff. NO ONE.

If one were predisposed to trade up to get Goff, one would trade up to #3, spend far less and still get Goff.

you're suggesting paying $10 for something that at most can be had for $7.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go to #1 for Goff???

Why???

Cleveland's going to take Wentz. NO ONE is going to trade up to #1 for Goff. NO ONE.

If one were predisposed to trade up to get Goff, one would trade up to #3, spend far less and still get Goff.

I'll spend $10 for something that can be had for $7 if it's worth $1,000,000. :LOL:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Go to #1 for Goff???

Why???

Right, Cleavland is taking Wentz. I'll believe it when I see it. You cant say a teams taking someone so certain this far from the draft, you just cant.

So, can we ease up a little?

The answer is that NO ONE knows the future.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right, Cleavland is taking Wentz. I'll believe it when I see it. You cant say a teams taking someone so certain this far from the draft, you just cant.

I don't know man... The day before Goff's hands were measured the Browns' new coach went on a roll about how important big mitts are to QBs in their division.

I gotta think the Browns are going Wentz.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Redskins missed on RG3 after "mortgaging" their future. Since that time they made the playoffs, what, twice?

If the FO guesses wrong I'll tell you exactly what they do: guess again next year. At least they won't be settling.

Because they went with BPA on their board in the RG3 draft, picked a second QB, and HE turned out to be good. Otherwise they would be in a world of hurt.

The Rams have been in position to draft two elite QBs in recent years - Sam looks like he's a great QB, but perhaps misses a little edge that you can only know about after they make it to the NFL. Plus multiple injuries, of course. RG3 was traded, and he ended up having a good year - got injured - and has never been the same.

Doesn't mean that the Rams shouldn't continue trying to get a good QB - does explain why many are less willing to trade the farm for prospects not quite as stellar as those two.