Our defense hasn't closed out a single game this year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
LOL

this guy...
paulwilliamsvirgilmask-e1316131109629.jpg

not entirely fair to paul williams, though...at least he knew how to consistently generate big hits.​
Haha.
His new look reminds me of G. Williams. Spiky hair, glasses ect.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Greg Williams sucks like Walton, but in an opposite way.
Heh, would this mean therefore that Williams blows?

Nah, I get what you mean as far as too passive v. too blitz happy. There was a huge "if it ain't broke..." element to this defense that was ignored when GW was hired, since they knew he would tear it down and remake it in his own image when it didn't seem necessary. But I agree with the thought the D is just getting better every week and I'm starting to see that light of an end product being worth the transition. Just frustrating to have another season of a "do over" declared in week 5 instead of the team ready from the first snap.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heh, would this mean therefore that Williams blows?

Nah, I get what you mean as far as too passive v. too blitz happy. There was a huge "if it ain't broke..." element to this defense that was ignored when GW was hired, since they knew he would tear it down and remake it in his own image when it didn't seem necessary. But I agree with the thought the D is just getting better every week and I'm starting to see that light of an end product being worth the transition. Just frustrating to have another season of a "do over" declared in week 5 instead of the team ready from the first snap.

Yep, it is frustrating. We pretty huch have to dominate our schedule from here on out. It's a very scary thought. We do look a lot better, though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I guess that depends on how you define finishing off a game.
If it requires a W, then its pretty much a loaded statement
I think the D closed out the Philly game pretty darned good, stopping them on multiple occasions therefore allwoing the team to come back. They stopped Philly when they needed to keep the ball away (Maybe Kelly ought to try a fake punt?)
And also in the end of the 49er game the last 4 drives of the game for San Fran when they were looking to ice the game, 2 3 and outs and 2 4th down stops.
So IMO, they finished off a couple

Teran

UDFA
Anyone know where we rank in red zone for O and D? I saw an article from last week that had KC at around 15th for red zone D. On the offensive side of the ball, we are playing well in the red zone.

On D we are weak at the edges and give up a lot of yardage, sometimes for touchdowns, but we are pretty firm inside the 10.

Teran

UDFA
Anyone know where we rank in red zone for O and D? I saw an article from last week that had KC at around 15th for red zone D. On the offensive side of the ball, we are playing well in the red zone.

On D we are weak at the edges and give up a lot of yardage, sometimes for touchdowns, but we are pretty firm inside the 10.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I think teams are really game planning our D. The average QB release is like just under 2 seconds.They are game planning to get rid of the ball so quick that even Quinn or Donald can't get there in time. I think we need to play very close bump and run coverage to give our awesome line the extra second they need.

RamWoodie

Legend
Think about that for a second. We came into this season believing our defense would be one of the best and the main reason we would win games. It's been the exact opposite this year. If our defense played at even a mediocre level we would be 5-1. I guess I just don't understand what happened. The Bucs game is the only game our defense ended on the field, and it was because of a penalty. So my question is, what the hell happened to our defense? We have basically the same players from last year yet we are twice as bad. Any answers?
The flat fact is they're not really settled in Williams style of defense. That's the only difference except the new additions. I think they will be better though. I see evidence of tweaking every week.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I've been saying it for weeks now: we haven't played 4 QUARTERS of football on DEFENSE. We've come close on offense, and we've played 4 quarters on ST. This is why we haven't been blowing teams out in our wins (which we did last year).

In our slaughters of the saints, bears, colts, texans, and jags we played (for the most part) 4 quarters of football in all 3 phases. This is why our average margin of victory in those 5 games was 20.2 points! Yes we scored plenty on offense in those games, BUT we also got timely 3 and outs, sacks, and turnovers. If our D shows up big, more often than not the past few years, we WIN.

If we had a big defensive performance, or even adequate, vs Dallas, Philly, or SF; we WIN EVERY game. Its about time the D showed up in the 2nd half. They played a great 1st half vs Dallas, SF, & Seattle and then wet the bed.

We're due for a big game from the D folks! I just hope its Sunday!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
The plus side to our D struggling is that our offense has really had to step up. If our defense was dominating, our O might have just retreated into the ground and pound shell expecting the D to win games.

WHEN the light comes on for the defense and things start clicking, then the whole team will be better for it. The D WILL be better than last year because even though they are struggling with the new schemes now, eventually they'll sink in and the D as a whole will have grown for having worked through the problems.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Fundamentals. To become great at anything, you must first become fundamentally sound in the basics, then build from there.

Poor tackling = bad fundamentals. Loss of containment = poor fundamentals. Bad coverage in the secondary = bad fundamentals.
Jeff Fisher and to a greater extent, GW rely too much on the "gambling" ..... selling out to create sacks and turnovers. That is pretty much all they care about. While those two things will help you win games, you must first make sure that you are fundamentally sound in your schemes, techniques and attitude. If not. .. you will expose weaknesses and those will be exploited. Things such as biting on play fakes ... looking into the backfiled too long .... knifing down the LOS .... poor angles ..... not wrapping up ... know where your help is ... etc..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's mostly a song writer but also performed. Short, funny looking dude.
Wrote some Really, Really Big Hits, for other people! Just can't recall the Names off the top of my head!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think now that the "Lady Bug" started to bite last week (We had 3 sacks!) things are going to start Changing Drastically, to the good, for our D!!:D
change-ahead-sign-500x375.jpg
1big-brass.jpg
"Brass Ball's are in vogue!"

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wrote some Really, Really Big Hits, for other people! Just can't recall the Names off the top of my head!!
Three Dog Night ,The Carpenters, Anne Murray,Bobby Sherman and wait for it............................................Tiny Tim did songs he wrote

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Three Dog Night ,The Carpenters, Anne Murray,Bobby Sherman and wait for it............................................Tiny Tim did songs he wrote
I can't remember the song names either. But they were Huge Hits!(y)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
table songs[edit]
  • "Nice to Be Around" (Cinderella Liberty Soundtrack)
  • "Evergreen" (Love Theme from A Star Is Born), (#1 hit for Barbra Streisand)
  • "Rainy Days and Mondays", (#2 hit for The Carpenters)
  • "We've Only Just Begun" (#2 hit for The Carpenters)
  • "You and Me Against the World" (Top-10 hit for Helen Reddy)
  • "An Old Fashioned Love Song" (Top-10 hit for Three Dog Night)
  • "Family of Man" (#12 hit for Three Dog Night)
  • "Out in the Country" (#15 hit for Three Dog Night)
  • "I Won't Last a Day Without You", (Top-20 hit for The Carpenters)
  • "Rainbow Connection" (Golden Globe and Oscar-nominated song)
  • "When the River Meets the Sea" (from Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas)
  • "One More Angel"
  • "You're Gone"
  • "Waking Up Alone" (Biggest single as performer)
  • "Flying Dreams" (from The Secret of NIMH soundtrack)
  • "Gone Forever"
  • "Where Do I Go From Here (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot)"
  • "Talk it Over in the Morning" (Anne Murray)"
  • "Someday Man" (The Monkees – 1969 – "A" Side of "Listen to the Band" single)

• "Still Alive"
  • "Touch" (Daft Punk – 2013 – Random Access Memories)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_(songwriter)