One Game at a Time: beating the whiners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Clearly winning this game is a longshot due to the state of the OL. Here's the way forward in my estimation, for this game at least. The Rams really having a shot depends largely on players returning from injury plain and simple.

1. J & J back in the secondary. This defense really needs to settle down on the back end. We have endured two seasons of Jenks and Johnson learning on the job, it's time to benefit from that with both of them back in this lineup.

2. Saffold back on the OL. Without him at OG the Rams will have three depth guys in the middle. That's too much to handle the 9ers DL. We're gonna need him. With him in there we still have to depend on Person and Jones. Jones shouldn't be too big a dropoff from Wells. Person is the one I am most worried about matchup-wise.

3. Bailey involvement. Davis is going to be missing a very important piece of his progression without Quick, and he struggled badly enough last game against the whiner secondary as it was. Bailey played so well last year down the stretch, this offense needs that possession contribution. As it stands right now, the 9ers will probably be focused on removing Britt. Hopefully Bailey can be an early progression option for Davis that he can count on.

4. Davis stepping up. We're gonna need a big game from him. 9ers played him very well in the first game taking away Quick and the deep ball. We need a Seattle-type performance.

5. Mason in the running game. I don't know that there will even be holes to run through tbh. But Mason has the burst and big play ability this team needs. Just feed him the damn ball. If they can get him rolling, this game is going to be within reach.

6. Tavon unpredictability. Does Schotty realize teams think Tavon in the backfield is 100% run up the middle? Seems to me that could be utilized. Let's get Tavon involved in some deep patterns too plz, and hope that the OL can give him time.

7. Barron's spying Kraperdick. Clearly Ogletree can't do the job. Can Barron bring it? Man I hope so.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Yeah, all those things have to happen for us to have a chance no doubt, especially as the niners are coming off a bye.

However, I think only one thing really matters and everything else feeds off that. The OL

It all starts in the trenches and we already had a leaky line without the injuries, now I'm very concerned to be honest

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Masons outside running ability has just become much more important.
If we can't open some holes up the middle, maybe we can get mason and TA outside for some screens and dink and dunk these guys to death.

Keep the pressure on Kap to beat us down field would be nice as well. I like that they've were sending Quinn on stunts last week. Unfortunately we may be forced to keep him outside the tackle to try and contain Kap again. I would like to see him line up at LE against the RT. Let Haye have the stalemate at LT.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Football is a chess match. What's our next move?

Me personally; this team needs to run the ball and stick with it. Unfortunately now that the OL has taken a beating, I'm not sure it's that simple.

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
If we beat down kaepernick Gore and the receivers we can win this game. We need to be tough hard-nosed and relentless and play no mistake football. No stupid penalties and make the most of every opportunity. We can win this game.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I say we go for a triple jump, thus avoiding the chute and Boardwalk. If we can get the orange wedge before San Francisco does, we have an excellent chance at a Yahtzee.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
A win against the whiners and cardinals would make my year! With the injuries, it'll be tough to get this one! Lets go Rams!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
1. I'd almost want to see Gains instead of Jenkins.

2. Glad Joseph is not starting and Person is starting.

3. Bailey is a very good WR. Better then Quick IMHO.

4. I think Davis will play well and continue to develop.

5. Hopefully Mason is the main RB and Stacy is second. Stacy can get the tough yards and block. I'd like to see both of them lined up together.

6. Tavon has the potential for big plays in a variety of situations.

7. Maybe Olgeltree just need some coaching to keep Dumperdink in check. Olgeltree did play well last year.

It is all going to come down to the OL and play calling. Not sure how Person will do, I consider Jones an upgrade, I think Robinson plays LT well last week and probably is only a slight downgrade from Long if not even, Barksdale is a huge concern. He has been getting beat a lot.

Play calling? IMHO That's what will again cause another lose.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
FWIW, I just re watched the second half snaps after Jones and GRob started playing C and LT., respectively.

I watched every snap twice, once focusing on one then on the other.

I've gotta say I was encouraged by what I saw. Jones seemed confident in line calls and acquitted himself well. I saw not one glaring mistake for him, in fact.

GRob looked good, as well. Only one mistake when he failed to hold a block an extra long time and his man arm tackled Davis on a late scramble. Nothing that doesn't happen to all LOT's from time to time, certainly including J Long.

And both these youngsters were playing against a pass rush D because the Chiefs weren't really respecting the run threat. Point is, I saw them mostly in pass pro mode.

Like I say, I came away encouraged. We may have seen a glimpse of our future at C and LOT.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Me personally; this team needs to run the ball and stick with it. Unfortunately now that the OL has taken a beating, I'm not sure it's that simple.

Left side of the line should still be pretty stout for running, with G.Rob and Saffold sliding back to LG. I assume this is how they will line up with Davin Joseph usually being the RG.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Start Hill.

Start Tre Mason.

Focus on Britt, Bailey and TA with TA all over the field including outside across from Bailey.

Remember Cook is on the team.

Stop blitzing.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
FWIW, I just re watched the second half snaps after Jones and GRob started playing C and LT., respectively.

I watched every snap twice, once focusing on one then on the other.

I've gotta say I was encouraged by what I saw. Jones seemed confident in line calls and acquitted himself well. I saw not one glaring mistake for him, in fact.

GRob looked good, as well. Only one mistake when he failed to hold a block an extra long time and his man arm tackled Davis on a late scramble. Nothing that doesn't happen to all LOT's from time to time, certainly including J Long.

And both these youngsters were playing against a pass rush D because the Chiefs weren't really respecting the run threat. Point is, I saw them mostly in pass pro mode.

Like I say, I came away encouraged. We may have seen a glimpse of our future at C and LOT.

While you were watching the tape, did you focus at all on Person ? It looked like he also held his own. It was the right side of the line that caved completely, at least from what I could observe. jmo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I think we'll be OK IF Saffold is back in their!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. I'd almost want to see Gains instead of Jenkins.

Agreed, I think Gaines is right there with Jenks tbh. I want to see all three in the game, however, so they have their top 3 on the field. Experience is important vs the whiners WRs, who push and grab with very little zebra notice. Jenks knows them well, so even if he's lined up at the slot having all 3 of them is a big boost for this defense.

We're gonna need a shutdown defense outing to win this game, IMO. A real defensive performance giving up low points.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Like always - I think we have a great chance to flatten the Whiners. Stop the run and man handle Kaeperdouche. Bring on the weekend!