OL Prospects - Random Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Took a gander at a few OL prospects today. Just some general thoughts in quick summary form:
1. Andrus Peat OT Stanford - Can see why he's so highly rated but can also see why some are very hesitant with him. His combination of length, power (especially in the lower body), and quick feet is exactly what you look for in a NFL LT. However, he stands straight up coming out of his stance which causes him to lose leverage in pass pro, he tends to bend at the waist and is too aggressive which leads to lunging at times, and he is inconsistent with his hand placement...allows defenders to get into his chest. That all said, he has bouncy feet, impressive balance in pass pro, can widen his base and anchor when bullrushed, and good punch timing with active hands. The Rams have a good OL Coach so I'd feel comfortable taking a shot on Peat.

2. Takoby Cofield OT Duke - Doesn't have the athleticism or length to play outside at the next level but I think he has a wide enough base and is a good enough run blocker that he could kick inside and be a good depth player at OG.

3. Miles Diffenbach OG Penn State - Very underpowered...will not be able to play in a power scheme at the next level. Could struggle in pass pro in a zone scheme against stronger DTs. Good technique and solid athleticism but he just lacks any sort of power and doesn't have much of an anchor in pass pro.

4. Jarvis Harrison OG Texas A&M - Hard to doubt the talent...he has excellent feet for a guy his size and makes it look easy when pass blocking. Has the power and size to power block although he didn't get many chances to do that at TAMU. But he's an extremely lazy player on the field that doesn't play to the whistle or look to bury defenders. If he lands in a situation where he gets motivated, he could be an elite OG. But you also run the risk that he'll not watch his weight and give you lackluster effort at the next level. Has 2nd round film (if you ignore the laziness) but will likely go mid Day 3 due to his character red flags.

5. Andrew Donnal OT Iowa - I know a lot of people like him but I don't see it. He has good technique and gives a lot of effort but he just doesn't have much in the physical talent department. He's an underpowered run blocker with a small lower body and his feet look heavy to me in pass pro. His punch timing and hand placement are good but his punch doesn't have much power and he doesn't have the lower body strength to anchor well. I think his lack of strength is really going to cap his upside at the next level. Just don't see starter tools.

6. Torrian Wilson OT UCF - Not much out there on Wilson in terms of video. Had to go through other players to get some looks at him. Bends at the waist outside but I think part of that is him compensating for his feet and lack of length. I'm intrigued with him at OG. Has an OG build and size with what appears to me to be good feet for an OG. The big question for me is flexibility. If he's got the bend in his hips and knees, he has starter potential inside but he needs a lot of technical development and I'm concerned about his balance (but his balance problems could be due to the waist bending...which goes back to the flexibility question).

7. Ereck Flowers OT Miami - If you are going to watch Flowers, I strongly recommend you watch at least one or two games from late in the season. His footwork really improved over the year. He didn't even look like a Day 2 prospect against Nebraska. His footwork and pass set were so bad. But against South Carolina, his kick-slide has really developed. He still has footwork problems and reverts back to bad habits but he's come a long ways. That all said, I'm just not a fan. I understand why people like him...he's big, athletic, very strong, and has a motor that constantly runs hot. But I just got the impression watching him that his feet just aren't coordinated. They are so chaotic and just seem almost out of whack with the rest of his body. He allows his base to narrow way too often and he's a waist bender in pass protection which throws off his balance. When you combine the lack of coordination with his feet, you have plays where the guy just looks scary bad. It gets even worse when you watch his arms/hands. They're frantic before contact. He waives them all over the place and you never know where they will be...often they're either extended out away from his body at upper-ab/lower-chest level like he's trying to give a hug or they're extended out and down by his thighs. He's a catcher rather than a puncher in that he allows the defender to almost always initiate contact before bringing his arms in and grabbing him. He just doesn't punch with any sort of consistency and his hands are almost always late. This leads to him constantly allowing defenders to get into his chest and he often will lean into it making him vulnerable to the arm over swim move. He's lucky that he's as strong as he is because he could get away with it in college but he won't be that lucky in the NFL. Simply put, the guy is a complete mess in terms of pass protection technique and I'm just not sure you can put it together. If you can, you have a great player on your hands but he's too big of a risk for me in Round 1.

I'll continue to add guys to this thread. There are some guys I've already seen that I'll add in the coming days. I also have Mark Glowinski and Rob Crisp at the top of my watch list.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My hope with Peat is that he goes in that top 9 which is possible given how hard it is to find LTs.

Like you, though, I'd understand them taking him. Just hope they end up with Scherff, Collins, or Flowers who all fit the NFC West very well and who will be fine on the right side.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My hope with Peat is that he goes in that top 9 which is possible given how hard it is to find LTs.

Like you, though, I'd understand them taking him. Just hope they end up with Scherff, Collins, or Flowers who all fit the NFC West very well and who will be fine on the right side.

JMO but I would not trust Scherff at OT...even RT. And Flowers is a potential disaster...especially as a rookie. IMO, he's more raw than Clemmings.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I have the same concerns as you with Flowers. People who have suggested him at #10 and expect him to come in and be a dominant right tackle for us are going to be in for a huge surprise when he can't get on the field. He at least needs a year of coaching before he's ready to play in my opinion. His hand usage is terrible.

I could even see him still on the board after the first round.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
JMO but I would not trust Scherff at OT...even RT. And Flowers is a potential disaster...especially as a rookie. IMO, he's more raw than Clemmings.

Re Flowers: if by disaster you mean as bad as Barks was last year, I can agree with that. But as a worst case scenario. I think he could just as easily be an average RT his rookie season and he should grow into a solid to outstanding guy on the right side.

Clemmings is very raw in my estimation, to the point it is keeping him down in those positional rankings. If he wasn't he would be a top 10 pick imo. So if the Rams nab him for RT it is something I can live with just hope like with Flowers it comes with a trade down.

So many ways for the Rams to go, it should be a great first day at the draft. Whoever they end up wanting for the right side, my hope is they don't get too cute. Get that key piece right off the bat and then see how things look in round 2.

jjab360

Legend
Re Flowers: if by disaster you mean as bad as Barks was last year, I can agree with that. But as a worst case scenario. I think he could just as easily be an average RT his rookie season and he should grow into a solid to outstanding guy on the right side.

Clemmings is very raw in my estimation, to the point it is keeping him down in those positional rankings. If he wasn't he would be a top 10 pick imo. So if the Rams nab him for RT it is something I can live with just hope like with Flowers it comes with a trade down.

So many ways for the Rams to go, it should be a great first day at the draft. Whoever they end up wanting for the right side, my hope is they don't get too cute. Get that key piece right off the bat and then see how things look in round 2.
Huh? Barksdale was average at worst last year, a far cry from a disaster. It's funny how the narrative is being re-written now that it looks like there's a chance he might not be back next year.

Flowers has a very good chance at being much, much worse than Barks was last year, imo. He's really raw, just look at how his hands flail around in pass protection for a glaring example. He has high physical upside (though nowhere near GRob last year), but it's going to take him a lot longer to adjust to the pro game than most of the other top offensive tackles. When watching him and then watching Clemmings, it's not even close who the rawer prospect is right now in my amateur opinion. I find it odd that the media has taken that label and ran with in Clemmings' case, but it somehow hasn't caught up to Flowers yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh? Barksdale was average at worst last year, a far cry from a disaster. It's funny how the narrative is being re-written now that it looks like there's a chance he might not be back next year.

Flowers has a very good chance at being much, much worse than Barks was last year, imo. He's really raw, just look at how his hands flail around in pass protection for a glaring example. He has high physical upside (though nowhere near GRob last year), but it's going to take him a lot longer to adjust to the pro game than most of the other top offensive tackles. When watching him and then watching Clemmings, it's not even close who the rawer prospect is right now in my amateur opinion. I find it odd that the media has taken that label and ran with in Clemmings' case, but it somehow hasn't caught up to Flowers yet.

Flowers wasn't at the Senior Bowl so his technical flaws weren't exposed on a big stage.

Me too! I prefer him at OG,I think he'd do well there!

Agreed.

Thanks @jrry32 !! Can you please give us your thoughts on Cameron Erving?

He'll definitely be a guy I add in the near future.

No...by disaster I mean Jason Smith bad. Flowers's technique is a total mess. Expecting him to be an average RT as a rookie just doesn't seem realistic to me. His pass protection technique is not anywhere close to pro caliber. Boudreau would really have worked a miracle.

Clemmings has better technique than Flowers in pass protection. That's something a lot of people are overlooking.

That's not my hope. My hope is that they re-sign Barksdale at a reasonable rate...but that's neither here nor there.

T-Hawks

UDFA
What do you think of Mark Glowinski OG West Virginia. I had him in a mock of mine a while ago. I noticed him while watching some West Virginia games when I was scouting Kevin White, and he jumped out at me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you think of Mark Glowinski OG West Virginia. I had him in a mock of mine a while ago. I noticed him while watching some West Virginia games when I was scouting Kevin White, and he jumped out at me.

Don't have him scouted yet. Trying to find games of him and Quinton Spain.(their other OG)