Ogletree traded to Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand this. It seems like fair compensation, or maybe if Ogletree went to play in a 4/3, that the Rams got a little less value than I would have expected
The Rams traded a former 1st round pick, one who was traded up for, and got a 4th round pick in return.
Not sure how that qualifies for taking to the woodshed. Surely doesn’t seem to be great ROI

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I realize that he was a leader on the team but I agree with the coaches that his play was just too poor to warrant keeping him around at his price.

yeah but it doesn't explain why they extended his contract

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@payote75 it just goes to show how little these people know. They know the Giants, the Jets and their divisions best. They apparently don't have good deductive reasoning skills though.

I lived in Chicago for a year. I was at a dinner at someone's house and this kid walked in with a long leather jacket on and his hair slicked back. Everyone cheered when he walked into the house and he got lots of congratulations. He just landed a big sports radio gig as the basketball guy. I was happy because there was nobody there to talk sports with. So, when I saw the opportunity I sat and talked to him. He didn't know shit about any sports. I am far from a basketball fan but I knew more about the NBA than he did. I sensed him feeling uncomfortable so I switched to the Bears. He made an excuse and moved across the room.

It made me wonder how many of these guys are hired for their radio personality and are relying heavily on local newspapers and techs finding opinions on sports sites, including forums. I think that it's very likely that this is the case with most radio personalities, and why the ones that really know sports are quickly snatched up for bigger gigs.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw somewhere the suggestion that by extending him it made him more available to be traded. Not sure if I agree or not but it does concern me that there is a precedent now, would other players be concerned to sign extension vs waiting for FA? Sure they want to get paid but I’m sure they also would rather be in control of where they play

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams traded a former 1st round pick, one who was traded up for, and got a 4th round pick in return.
Not sure how that qualifies for taking to the woodshed. Surely doesn’t seem to be great ROI

First round picks flop every year so I wouldn't expect getting a first in return, unless Ogletree was regarded as one of the best in the league. But yeah turning a first rounder into a fourth is not taking someone to the woodshed. There are a lot here that realise Ogletree's faults, and at the same time say he is a good fit as a 4/3 olb. Albright must think Alex just all out sucks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My first thought was, does a division champion slaughter one third of its team this way? If we didn't have Wade, I'd be freaking out right now. Let's just hope its not dementia!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I still think that Wade's ex ILB'er @ Denver Todd Davis will be a Ram soon.

Well he is from Inglewood, CA so that might be enticing to him.

I would tell Bonsignore that I find it very hard for me to believe that the lanky/skinny over 6-3 220/225 lbs ex DE/OLB'er Cory Littleton is the answer to our run defense problems in the middle of our defense.

Todd Davis is listed at 6'1" and 230 pounds. A little stockier than Littleton to be sure but Cory can bulk up during the offseason.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

I think they traded down to 30 when they got him

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Just a guess, but maybe Alec being an emotional leader increased his value and in October they felt his play was improving to the point that he would be very good by seasons end.

Or maybe they dint want him hitting free agency and having to wait a year for the comp pick. If they knew that he was a goner then sign him with a plan to trade him. If they had cap space giving him a contract makes him more tradeable too.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Think of Ogletree as a depreciating asset. Like selling a used car.

Fiji Fan

UDFA
Name
Fiji Fan
Will miss seeing Tree leave his feet to tackle someone around the shoulders.

DXt-7n9UMAAsxh2.jpg large.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i think he offers alot of flexibility on the field, especially if the rams can make teams pass happy..
Calling it now. Barron is on this team this season. He's not moving anywhere.

The 2017 Mark Barron season was not a story book read. Moving to a new NFL position is nothing new for Mark. Since his arrival with the Rams in October 2014 he has started in a 43 defense @ CB, FS, SS, WSLB, SSLB & then in 2017 ILB in the 34 Defense. You would think it would be nice to get to play the same position for a bit? Mark salary was not as big as the Ogletree contract either. The cut of Mark will not bring big bounty but I think @flv said would be close to 4.8 mil savings in 2018. Enough to think long & hard about.

Early in his NFL career Mark seemed to get a bad rap for his coverage skills playing safety but playing in the LB'er role he does a great job in pass defense coverage. Mark is also a sneaky pass rusher & can cover ground coming off the edge or through the LOS.

Fact is Mark played mostly injured all 2017 season. I still have no ideal what was giving him issues early off season last yr.... it was either Knee or hip issue but it caused him to miss all of OTA's. Next Chapter was Training Camp he was a non participant through out. Next Chapter was the four pre season games...yes he was MIA. We did not see Mark in this new 34 defense until the first regular season gm. against the Colts when he was basically MIA with only 1 tackle. Those injuries were mostly undisclosed but we know his knee was giving him issues again, he broke his thumb & later the Achilles was a big issue then we heard he had shoulder surgery in February . The big question is can Mark remain healthy playing as a starter in the middle of this 34 defense???

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Phillips was Bronco's DC when Todd Davis was drafted by them. I'm pretty sure Wade had a say in that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That was my original reaction.

A poster on another board claims that Littleton was fantastic in the game against Tennessee. I didn't argue with him because I don't remember. I didn't focus on his play well enough to recall specifically.

Does anybody have input on that game?
Yes..the Titan gm was by far his best gm. He had a sack too. With both Tree & Barron playing hurt late Cory looked faster & better than both starters...but Cory was fresh & in full health.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey fellas I know I’m late but Man this is one weird offseason. I figured though between Barron and Ogletree Barron was the better fit all those runs up the middle was strictly on Ogletree shifting the wrong way waiting to late to attack his gap or simply over running the play you couple that with his terrible pass coverage I can see why they made this move and are keeping Barron(if they keep him). Quinn on the other hand,?? This draft is shaping up to be real important would hate to have a offense that’s crippled by the defense but wouldn’t that just be our luck

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well he is from Inglewood, CA so that might be enticing to him.
Todd Davis is listed at 6'1" and 230 pounds. A little stockier than Littleton to be sure but Cory can bulk up during the offseason.
When Cory came out of college he was close to 240 lbs???
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cory-littleton?id=2555524
Now this is not a football issue but I also know that Cory had his first kid this year & for us who know how a new baby will certainly you to loose a ton of sleep:rolllaugh: that might be the reason for the loss of weight.