NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks on Rams #2 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Radio interview

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0a...ins-best-team-fits-include-rams-raiders-lions
Sammy Watkins' best team fits include Rams, Raiders, Lions

St. Louis Rams (No. 2 overall pick)
To earn a playoff berth in 2014, the Rams must find a way to score against the stingy defenses of their NFC West brethren. Although a series of additions last offseason (Tavon Austin, Jared Cook andStedman Bailey) added some juice to the lineup, Watkins' explosive catch-and-run skills would give St. Louis a true No. 1 receiver on the perimeter. With Austin and Cook controlling the middle of the field from the slot and tight end positions, respectively, Watkins would find plenty of room to work on the perimeter against one-on-one coverage. This would inevitably produce big plays for an offense that's struggled to put points on the board in the Sam Bradford era.
Bucky Brooks

Drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the second round of the 1994 NFL Draft, Bucky Brooks played for five different teams (Buffalo, Jacksonville, Green Bay, Kansas City and Oakland) in five NFL seasons. After his playing career was over in 1999, Brooks joined the Seattle Seahawks' pro personnel department as a regional college scout. He served in the same capacity for the Carolina Panthers from 2003 to 2007, before joining CNNSI.com as a football analyst. He joined NFL Media in 2009.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yes, Sammy would have the biggest impact in this team than any other player. No question about it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yes, Sammy would have the biggest impact in this team than any other player. No question about it.

Maybe not immediately in 2014... But SW would make this offense complete!

And... It might be the last year within no-trade-required striking distance to land the top WR (like 1999 when we nabbed Holt).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

And... It might be the last year within no-trade-required striking distance to land the top WR (like 1999 when we nabbed Holt).

Exactly. I feel this is our last chance to land a WR of his calibre. You are so right about him making our offense complete. I wanted Hopkins last year for this reason, Watkins is a better version of him. It just wish we could get Clowney, too lol. If only... ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ironically in the podcast above the article he picks OT Greg Robinson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ironically in the podcast above the article he picks OT Greg Robinson.

It's hard to argue against one of these top OT's.

That said; Bucky kind of covers all the bases in this one. Implies we could and maybe should also take Clowney, Mathews, Watkins. I mean, he's safe either way.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Right on, bro. I don't think we'd regret it.
It's hard to argue against one of these top OT's.

That said; Bucky kind of covers all the bases in this one. Implies we could and maybe should also take Clowney, Mathews, Watkins. I mean, he's safe either way.

Are they really THAT good? None of them scream Thomas or Pace to me. I feel like OL can be dealt with in the second round. However, losing Saffold does make me cringe when I look at our depth. Maybe he will take the "fair offer" we propose and shows some loyalty. We very close. Maybe the bonuses Playoff teams get will entice him?

No use, Roger is gonna run like a rabbit when some team waves that money in front of his face. Ugh... :(

laramsoriginal

Starter
What if the rams trade with Cleveland for the 4th pick and get their 2nd in 2014 and their 2nd in 2015.
Trade up from #13 to #5 giving up the rams 2nd round this year, 2nd and 3rd next year.

So now the rams will have the 4th and 5th picks:

4th pick: sammy watkins
5th pick: OL Mathews or Robinson
36th pick: CB Joyner

Bring back Finnegan at a much lower cost. Resign Saffold while cutting dhal/wells.
Bring in a FA Safety.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I disagree, CGI. I don't even think trading up will be necessary even if we are a NFL team. You can find WRs in the last 1st and outside of the 1st round if you know what to look for.

Watkins would be a great addition but I think more than anything, we need to get our OL right. Sam is an absolute stud when he gets protection regardless of the WR talent. Our plan this off-season first and foremost should be to protect our QB.

Plus, as usual, there are some real nice WR talents right around the corner. You have Dorial Green-Beckham from Missouri, Amari Cooper from Alabama(imo, has the potential to be a better version of Watkins), Stefon Diggs from Maryland(has been compared to Percy Harvin), Nelson Agholor from USC, D'haquille Williams of Auburn and Antwan Goodley of Baylor. That doesn't count guys like Shaq Roland of South Carolina, Sammie Coates of Auburn, Bralon Addison of Oregon and Breshad Perriman of UCF who have shown a lot of potential but not put it together consistently yet. Getting past guys eligible for the 2015 Draft, in the 2016 Draft, you potentially have Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss, Marquez North from Tennessee and Tyler Boyd from Pittsburgh(this kid stood out in a big way to me this year as a true freshman) among many others that will emerge in the next couple years.

And those names are just the tip of the iceberg.

Regardless of what we do this year, we'll have shots at getting some quality WR options in the future. With the shift to spread offenses in college, the WR depth seems to have gotten better and better in the draft.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
AND if we trade down with a team picking top 10 this year and get their first next year in the bargain we are probably back in the top 10 next year unless it's Atlanta or Detroit we trade with and if it's them we're gonna get a boatload of picks we could trade back to teams in that top ten for their next years first.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Concur for jrry32 about the OL and with Brooks on Greg Robinson. He's bigger and stronger than Matthews and very physical at the point of attack. Saffold is gone IMO so I hope the Rams can trade down to 4 with the Browns take Robinson and then get a WR later on.

Robinson's size and style reminds of a guy out of Ohio State by the name of Orlando Pace IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I disagree, CGI. I don't even think trading up will be necessary even if we are a NFL team. You can find WRs in the last 1st and outside of the 1st round if you know what to look for.

Watkins would be a great addition but I think more than anything, we need to get our OL right. Sam is an absolute stud when he gets protection regardless of the WR talent. Our plan this off-season first and foremost should be to protect our QB.

Plus, as usual, there are some real nice WR talents right around the corner. You have Dorial Green-Beckham from Missouri, Amari Cooper from Alabama(imo, has the potential to be a better version of Watkins), Stefon Diggs from Maryland(has been compared to Percy Harvin), Nelson Agholor from USC, D'haquille Williams of Auburn and Antwan Goodley of Baylor. That doesn't count guys like Shaq Roland of South Carolina, Sammie Coates of Auburn, Bralon Addison of Oregon and Breshad Perriman of UCF who have shown a lot of potential but not put it together consistently yet. Getting past guys eligible for the 2015 Draft, in the 2016 Draft, you potentially have Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss, Marquez North from Tennessee and Tyler Boyd from Pittsburgh(this kid stood out in a big way to me this year as a true freshman) among many others that will emerge in the next couple years.

Regardless of what we do this year, we'll have shots at getting some quality WR options in the future. With the shift to spread offenses in college, the WR depth seems to have gotten better and better in the draft.

You have a stronger lens into the depths of college than some of us, I concede that. And... As a Bradford fan, I want nothing more than protection so he can do his job and the whole debate about our QB die!

I've stated many times; "go oline early and often".

But, I'm not closing the door if the Rams see Watkins as the final piece to the WR ranks and want to fill it this year while we have the two first rounders.

wrstdude

Rookie

This is where I sit-protection for SB8 includes an even better run game featuring some bowling ball backs in Stacy and Cunningham. Being able to run on the 49ers and Seahawks is paramount. Seahawk's secondary's eyes will be in the backfield and that's when Givens and Austin run by them. Give me the best run game in the NFL and the passing and wins will come.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If the rams do not draft a wr in the first round then the defense has to be upgraded. The secondary is weakness...especially at cb. Rams have to get premier players if they want to compete for the nfcw

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Pass on Robinson. Too raw.
It depends on your plans for him, but Matthews is real good too, more pro ready, and I found a could sleepers that I really like... 2 - 3 round guys when all is said and done that I think can start right away.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
It depends on your plans for him, but Matthews is real good too, more pro ready, and I found a could sleepers that I really like... 2 - 3 round guys when all is said and done that I think can start right away.
Love to hear your evaluation of Robinson, Doc.

tonyl711

Starter
just as JRRY says there are WR that can be taken later in the draft, there are also OTs that can be taken later in the draft, we have an Oline coach who has shown he can coach up average players, give him a second rounder to work with and we should be fine at OT since he wouldn't be more than a spot starter for now anyway, get your OG in the third or fourth and one in FA or resign Saffold and you are looking pretty good on the Oline. at WR we need someone who can make plays consistently, not one of our WRs have shown they can do that, Quick has potential, but can you say he will reach it? Givens flashed some promise but can you say he will regain that form? Pettis is Pettis, do you really want him starting for you? TA and Bailey look like they have promise, so while they are a young group, Quick, Givens and Pettis all were at least 2nd year players last year and I didn't see enough out of any of them to know they will even be on this team after next season.