NFL may consider negating touchdowns for taunting penalties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then you agree.
No place in this game for taunting.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The reason players taunt now is because the only repercussion is usually loss of field position on the ensuing kick off. Now, if players knew that taunting before you reached the endzone would negate the TD, no one would do what Taint did. Taint wouldn't have done it, at least not until he crossed the goal line. And that's the only change I would make; if the taunting happened before the whistle, then it's not a dead ball foul. Anyone boneheaded enough to forget that rule deserves the penalty.

Showboating into the endzone is just part of the celebration, not a taunt.

I doubt if Carroll would have done anything if Taint's taunt wasn't so blatant, and in prime time.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would love to see this rule implemented. Talking to each other on the way back to the huddle whatever but a blatant display like the play in the Monday night game needs to go. 1 penalty taking away a TD will put a quick end to it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Then you agree.
No place in this game for taunting.
Quite frankly, I don't mind the taunting if they allowed direct reprisals. Was that TJ defending? So, i wouldn't have mind seeing TJ deck Taint's butt after he entered the end zone, a la Deacon Jones. Then, give a penalty to the 3rd guy who enter the scene so it doesn't get out of control. But this pansy-a$$ league that Goodell is going for makes me sick.

There is a deliberate effort to Globalize and ruin this game, and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise. This is just another effort toward this goal. Just look at Goodell's lineage, he's total Blue Blood, and they have no interest in doing anything positive for the common man, you can be certain of that.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Calling back a TD is a bit overboard. But why not back them up 15 yards on the extra point try? That might get them in a little more trouble.

jjab360

Legend
Calling back a TD is a bit overboard. But why not back them up 15 yards on the extra point try? That might get them in a little more trouble.
Still a chip shot for most kickers.

Backing up the kickoff 15 yards has a bigger effect on the game, imo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The whole point of a penalty is to get the players to stop whatever is deemed worthy of said penalty. If the point is to stop the taunting behaviour you have to make the penalty severe enough to achieve that goal.

15 yards from the previous spot

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Honestly, we've seen 80+ yard touchdowns negated because a receiver was all of 2 inches off the line at the time of the snap. How is bringing the ball back when a receiver is calling out the other team on his way to a score much different?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Still a chip shot for most kickers.

Backing up the kickoff 15 yards has a bigger effect on the game, imo.

Or they could take away the extra point entirely on taunting plays, but that might do more harm than good.
Or back them up 15 on the kickoff AND the extra point.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Honestly, we've seen 80+ yard touchdowns negated because a receiver was all of 2 inches off the line at the time of the snap. How is bringing the ball back when a receiver is calling out the other team on his way to a score much different?
Like in the OT game in SF last year ugh!!!!!!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think too many TDs are called back as it is, let's not give them reasons to call more back. Pretty soon scoring a TD will be a penalty.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think too many TDs are called back as it is, let's not give them reasons to call more back. Pretty soon scoring a TD will be a penalty.
I thought it already was for us.
I gotta re-read the rule back now.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The whole point of a penalty is to get the players to stop whatever is deemed worthy of said penalty. If the point is to stop the taunting behaviour you have to make the penalty severe enough to achieve that goal.

15 yards from the previous spot
15 yards from the spot where the taunting began. That's for taunting before the whistle.

I like the idea of the penalty for a dead ball taunt after a TD taking away the PAT try. Think about how that affects game strategy, especially if the HC intended a 2-point try. You want to invest a HC in eliminating taunting? Enforce this, and all taunting outside of the knuckleheads will stop.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Or they could take away the extra point entirely on taunting plays, but that might do more harm than good.
Or back them up 15 on the kickoff AND the extra point.

Or back them up 15 on the extra point -- and if it's good the opposition get the point --- however if they miss they are stripped of their six points !!!

:heh: - only half serious.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Or back them up 15 on the extra point -- and if it's good the opposition get the point --- however if they miss they are stripped of their six points !!!

:heh: - only half serious.
lol. Or we can make them roll two 6-sided dice and we get the amount of points they roll.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
lol. Or we can make them roll two 6-sided dice and we get the amount of points they roll.

Indeed -- yes - good thinking -- why not use two of these suckers ...

IMG_3128.jpg

... and get each mascot to roll one each !

-- someone get Goodell on the phone !!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Indeed -- yes - good thinking -- why not use two of these suckers ...

IMG_3128.jpg

... and get each mascot to roll one each !

-- someone get Goodell on the phone !!!
I'm down with that. And if it's doubles, you get to kick the offending player in the nuts and roll again.

had

Rookie
I actually don't have a problem with taunting - but in specific moments. celebrating after an injury i think should always be flagged,but as far as what Taint did i'm okay with. don't want to see it? don't get burned. back up your trash talk with your play.

however it is a rule, so i get annoyed/angry when i see inconsistent calling by the refs (like the panther game, which was as obvious as Taint's)

I was just going to post something to this extent. Guys talk trash, always will, and it's fine. Just back it up. Then I started thinking about taunting vs trash talking, and my post fizzled out. Talking trash is different than taunting. If you've been talking trash with some guy, and then you score, whatever sport, you don't need to be a jackass about it and point at him, clown him. Or maybe you do. I'm torn on this.

iced

I was just going to post something to this extent. Guys talk trash, always will, and it's fine. Just back it up. Then I started thinking about taunting vs trash talking, and my post fizzled out. Talking trash is different than taunting. If you've been talking trash with some guy, and then you score, whatever sport, you don't need to be a jackass about it and point at him, clown him. Or maybe you do. I'm torn on this.

for me it depends on how intense it was - if I were steve smith I honestly probably would have done the same thing..that was getting personal

Taint's though - I didn't see anything or whatever that warranted that...but hey if you're a receiver and a corner is talking trash all game, then you score on them....understandable