NFC West Q&A: Will the Rams move back to L.A. ratchet up division rivalries?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ove-back-to-l-a-ratchet-up-division-rivalries

i

Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer

Today's question: Now that the Rams are in Los Angeles, the NFC West is truly the NFC West. Do you think that will help ratchet up the level of rivalries within the division?

Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: I'm not sure how a change of locale would amp up a rivalry, especially if the Rams continue to be a mediocre team. They're 20-28 since 2013, including a 2-4 record against Arizona during that span and a 7-11 record against the NFC West. The Rams moving to Los Angeles will make travel easier for the Cardinals -- it's about an hour-and-change flight. It's also easier on the sports writers -- going to Los Angeles is a lot better than going to St. Louis. (Sorry I'm not sorry, Nelly.) But proximity won't do much for a rivalry if the Rams can't put together a winning product on the field. It's not like the cities of L.A. and Phoenix are rivals in the way New York and Boston or Chicago and New York are. Once the Rams start winning and beating the Cardinals on a regular basis, we can call it a rivalry -- regardless of where the Rams play.

Michael Wagaman, San Francisco 49ers reporter: Absolutely. Rivalries are always better when teams are closer geographically, so it should be a given that things will heat up in the division now that the Rams are no longer in St. Louis. That being said, the rivalry between the Rams and 49ers has always been a bitter one no matter where the teams called home, so I don't expect things to change. The team being in Los Angeles, however, should increase the heat between the two. San Francisco simply doesn't like L.A. when it comes to sports and the same goes in reverse. Think Los Angeles Dodgers-San Francisco Giants; these teams will not be friends.

Sheil Kapadia, Seattle Seahawks reporter: Former USC coach Pete Carroll returning to Los Angeles will definitely be a popular topic before the Seahawks take on the Rams in their home opener in Week 2. Overall, though, I think the two teams already had a pretty good rivalry even when the team was in St. Louis. The Rams have played the Seahawks tougher than any other team in the division. They beat Seattle twice in 2015. Rivalries peak when both teams are competitive. During the Jim Harbaugh era, the Seahawks-49ers rivalry was great. Now it seems like Seahawks-Cardinals has taken over. But the veterans who have been in Seattle, along with the coaches on staff, acknowledge every year that the Rams present them with a difficult matchup.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Weinfuss is such an elitist. He just won't see it coming. Will he? All the more sweet.

Never mind the Rams beet the Cards in their place last year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its brutally honest, but the Cardinals guy does make a good point. How much of a rival can we be if we're not competitive? We do have a good rivalry with the seahawks due to our success with them. But if we want to make it more intense, we need to start winning. A lot of younger 49er fans don't even consider the Rams a rival. The seahawks are the team they love to hate.

fearsomefour

Legend
I just can't wait for the first time, week one, the idiot whiner fans steal the "beat LA" chant from the idiot Giant fans.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just can't wait for the first time, week one, the idiot whiner fans steal the "beat LA" chant from the idiot Giant fans.

I think it was the Celtics fans that started that back when the Celtics lost to Detroit in the Garden...........

OK I just Googled it, it was the 76ers that the Celtics fans were yelling that too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That zona honk can go fuck himself. He needs to go get himself one of those hats that his football team's fat assed HC wears. They can sport them together when they're watching the Super Bowl at their house as usual. Fucking posers.

Weinpuss

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think it was the Celtics fans that started that back when the Celtics lost to Detroit in the Garden...........

OK I just Googled it, it was the 76ers that the Celtics fans were yelling that too.

My point is the same.....screw SF fans.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Weinfuss is such an elitist. He just won't see it coming. Will he? All the more sweet.

That was a sweet victory in AZ last year. The Seattle SWEEP and the win in AZ were my most enjoyable games in 2015. A sweep of AZ in 2016 combined with a winning record, would no doubt be an interesting post game interview with coach Fisher.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkkWhpbpgM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-rams-had-been-reading-their-press-clippings

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians watched his team all but wrap up a playoff spot with a gutsy 12-6 victory in St. Louis on Thursday night. And then he kept taking shots at the Rams.

"I love it when nobody says you have a chance to win. There is an 11-3 team and a team that is always 8-8," Arians said. "You figure it out."

Sadly the closest to 8-8 the Rams have been under Fisher has been 7-8-1

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
That Arizona punk is a serious douchebag. I'll echo what Selassie said.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I get that Arians is a douchebag but a member of the media parroting his shtick? You'd think he'd fact-check Arizona is a team three years removed from a 5-11 season and not have attitude like they are some first-rate perennial winning franchise now. The Cardinals have nine 10-win seasons in their entire franchise history -- that's 9 seasons out of 95 years -- and just because the last three have been successful they now feel justified to call other franchises mediocre? Puh-lease. Just as bad as all the idiot Whiner morons that think football was invented in 1981.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I have another name for Weinfuss, but I'll be nice just this once!!(y):censored:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That was a sweet victory in AZ last year. The Seattle SWEEP and the win in AZ were my most enjoyable games in 2015. A sweep of AZ in 2016 combined with a winning record, would no doubt be an interesting post game interview with coach Fisher.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-rams-had-been-reading-their-press-clippings

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians watched his team all but wrap up a playoff spot with a gutsy 12-6 victory in St. Louis on Thursday night. And then he kept taking shots at the Rams.

"I love it when nobody says you have a chance to win. There is an 11-3 team and a team that is always 8-8," Arians said. "You figure it out."

" JUST HOW MANY TIMES HAVE THE CARDS HAD TO REPLACE THEIR QB, DUE TO INJURY, WHEN PLAYING THE RAMS!!!?!!!"

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have found that Seattle fans looks down on us because of overall record, even tho we swept their @ss last year. We split with the "mighty" Cardinals, and they act like we can't kick their @ss. 49er fans want to forget the 1st meeting loss and the Gurley 71 yard TD run, and crow about the win vs the Rams at Levi...A game where Gurley was rested, 2nd week in a row on the road, and nothing but pride to play for.......AND the decision about LA looming....

My point is...F*CK THEM! :shooting:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's humorous though that the Cards have half as many 11 win seasons than the Rams and more seasons at 8-8 or worse than the Rams. But because right now he's over .500 he's gotta talk smack about us "always 8-8". I tell ya what blowhard BA win a Super Bowl and then your team can brag. Until then you're just like the Rams, you had a losing season no matter what the record.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: I'm not sure how a change of locale would amp up a rivalry, especially if the Rams continue to be a mediocre team. They're 20-28 since 2013, including a 2-4 record against Arizona during that span and a 7-11 record against the NFC West.
Interesting that the Cards are an equally pedestrian 9-9 in the division since 2013 despite putting up three straight 10+ win seasons.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I guess it depends on how you define a rivalry. Arizona guy seems to think that only first place teams can have a rivalry.

I'll always feel animosity towards SF no matter what the W-L record is, ours or theirs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I get that Arians is a douchebag but a member of the media parroting his shtick? You'd think he'd fact-check Arizona is a team three years removed from a 5-11 season and not have attitude like they are some first-rate perennial winning franchise now. The Cardinals have nine 10-win seasons in their entire franchise history -- that's 9 seasons out of 95 years -- and just because the last three have been successful they now feel justified to call other franchises mediocre? Puh-lease. Just as bad as all the idiot Whiner morons that think football was invented in 1981.
This kind of sums up my irritation and amusement with many Cards fans i interact with online and in daily life here in AZ. Not all...but most. Bloated fan entitlement is not an endearing quality when your team has been a dysfunctional 5 win team for nearly a century. Granted, the Rams have had a couple long stretches of pure suck...but they've won championships, made a few SB appearances and won countless division titles.

I understand the excitement of finally winning, but i just don't get the impression that Cards fans, AZ media and writers respect the other currently "good" teams around the league.