My Boy Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I haven't seen this much biasness against a quarterback on a team in a very long time.

Lets get this out of the way. I do not think Sean Manion is a better QB than Goff. I I have never said that, but yet been accused of it.

It has been painfully clear to me for a while that people are so caught up in defending Jared Goff, that several posters on here have to act like they're his personal knight in shining armor. God forbid someone actually praises Sean for having a good game.

I mean I get it, I really do. The quarterback situation has been so bad around here that even rationally considering that Goff actually might end being another bust it's clearly too much for several posters to take.

People should be happy that we actually have a good capable backup for a change and actually Praise Him.

Goff will be fine. I haven't lost faith in him and never will, actually I'm gaining confidence in him. But it's time to give Sean some credit where credit is due.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
I only have two problems with his film from yesterday.
-he puts his receivers on death row with his passes
-he locks onto one read and throws to that player, even if they're covered well

Aside from that. I was presently surprised with him for sure.
I saw that too. Passes thrown high that didn't need to be causing receivers to get laid out. Because I think he'll start, let's hope it's just a timing issue, otherwise they'll be a lot of receivers on the IR.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
What that said, I want to add that Sean has had nothing but a fantastic preseason so far. He has great arm strength and has shown good pocket awareness. I see his confidence building through each and every game. I don't think he's quite there yet, but if he continues to develop the way he is I think he definitely has starting-caliber material written on him. Feel free to disagree but I'm really liking what I see from our backup quarterback

jjab360

Legend
What that said, I want to add that Sean has had nothing but a fantastic preseason so far. He has great arm strength and has shown good pocket awareness. I see his confidence building through each and every game. I don't think he's quite there yet, but if he continues to develop the way he is I think he definitely has starting-caliber material written on him. Feel free to disagree but I'm really liking what I see from our backup quarterback
There's a couple of things about his game including his feet and release that make me think best case Derek Anderson or Jason Campbell type who were both starters at one point, just much lower end starters. The biggest thing though is that I just don't think he's that accurate tbh. He can get the job done but I think it's pretty clear that Goff is the better QB.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
There's a couple of things about his game including his feet and release that make me think best case Derek Anderson or Jason Campbell type who were both starters at one point, just much lower end starters. The biggest thing though is that I just don't think he's that accurate tbh. He can get the job done but I think it's pretty clear that Goff is the better QB.
I agree, both are good comps. Maybe he moves into the Marc Bulgar category for a year or two.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
My friend and I joked that McV HAD to pull Mannion because he might engineer another come from behind win and start a controversy!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

And when he plays against backups and 3rd stringers he hasn't shown anything to indicate he can be a starter. He's looked just ok vs them. If he was a starter or had starter potential he'd tear them up. But he's just ok. And before you go there backups were in vs Goff.

Just look at what carr and rivers did to our makeshift defense. I know Mannion isn't in their class, but a legit starter should be able to move the ball relatively easy vs a backup squad.

Having said that, I still think there is a GM or two who would willing to trade for Mannion should their situation become dire (poor play/injuries).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ok. I watched Mannion's entire college career. I think he can be a pretty good starter. I would love for him to be our QB. That being said, I see things in Goff that Mannion simply doesn't possess. I also see a stature and certain qualities Goff doesn't possess. All in all however, I think Goff has more upside if he can exploit his abilities. But he will have to exploit them and he will have to grow into the position. I think he can, but I also think we could be in a much worse position than having Mannion waiting in the wings if that doesn't happen.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly it's clear to see how much more confident he becomes every series he is in the game, his timing on his passes become excellent the ball start spinning tighter and he gets in that rhythm and you just know every pass is getting caught.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think it's clear that Goff is better or more accurate I think it's pretty clear that Goff is the starter and going to get every chance to succeed

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think it's clear that Goff is better or more accurate I think it's pretty clear that Goff is the starter and going to get every chance to succeed

This in a nutshell and all of us just need to relax and let Goff do his thing. Again I trust this regime and if they decide to in another direction, I'm fine with that too. But Goff needs to be able to be given every opportunity and having Mannion to back him up is a plus as well.

At this point, Goff just needs to limit his mistakes, he has a must better cast and IMO a much better offensive line at least in terms of Whitworth, Saffold & Sullivan and I do believe in Havenstein at RT and the jury is still out on Brown at RG. The receiver unit is far better than it's ever been and Gerald Everett IMO, is going to be one of the better tight ends the Rams have had in a very long time.

It is really not that difficult, Goff has some major upside and if he limits the turnovers will be the starting QB for a very long time in Los Angeles, but if he turns the ball over the Rams will have no alternative and again I expect under the tutelage of McVay, LaFleur & Olson Goff to win a ton of games over his career.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This in a nutshell and all of us just need to relax and let Goff do his thing. Again I trust this regime and if they decide to in another direction, I'm fine with that too. But Goff needs to be able to be given every opportunity and having Mannion to back him up is a plus as well.

At this point, Goff just needs to limit his mistakes, he has a must better cast and IMO a much better offensive line at least in terms of Whitworth, Saffold & Sullivan and I do believe in Havenstein at RT and the jury is still out on Brown at RG. The receiver unit is far better than it's ever been and Gerald Everett IMO, is going to be one of the better tight ends the Rams have had in a very long time.

It is really not that difficult, Goff has some major upside and if he limits the turnovers will be the starting QB for a very long time in Los Angeles, but if he turns the ball over the Rams will have no alternative and again I expect under the tutelage of McVay, LaFleur & Olson Goff to win a ton of games over his career.

I'll start with Mannion & say he is a gamer. In practice he has not looked as good , but then again he did a lot of the same thing last preseason as well. The game speeds up with starters, & Mannion doesn't make his reads as fast & seems to dial in on his WR's ?Having a better O'Line helps.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Exactly it's clear to see how much more confident he becomes every series he is in the game, his timing on his passes become excellent the ball start spinning tighter and he gets in that rhythm and you just know every pass is getting caught.

I don't know about that last part lol. He did throw like 10 straight incompletions or whatever it was. And far too often, they were passed with zero chance of a reception. He was throwing into blanket coverage. But then he got his shit together and started tearing it up a bit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is being disappointed in his performance tied to Goff? I think if you look around the league, there are many back up QB's playing "well" in pre-season. Case Keenum "tore" up San Fran last night. Bryce Petty "tore up" the Giants on Saturday. I think 2 TD drives in 3 games is not a positive return for a 3rd year player who is predominantly facing back up players. My disappointment in Mannion has nothing to do with Goff.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
To be fair to Mannion, lets see what he does with what Goff has. Goff gets Whitworth, Saffold, Sully, Brown and Havenstien. Mannion gets Murphy, Wichmann, Blythe, Dunn and Williams. Goff gets, Kupp, Watkins, Woods. Mannion gets McRoberts, Spruce, Shippen.

Real fair comparison.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
To be fair to Mannion, lets see what he does with what Goff has. Goff gets Whitworth, Saffold, Sully, Brown and Havenstien. Mannion gets Murphy, Wichmann, Blythe, Dunn and Williams. Goff gets, Kupp, Watkins, Woods. Mannion gets McRoberts, Spruce, Shippen.

Real fair comparison.

Then also let Mannion face off against Bosa and Ingram and a starting defense. Goes both ways.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Why is being disappointed in his performance tied to Goff? I think if you look around the league, there are many back up QB's playing "well" in pre-season. Case Keenum "tore" up San Fran last night. Bryce Petty "tore up" the Giants on Saturday. I think 2 TD drives in 3 games is not a positive return for a 3rd year player who is predominantly facing back up players. My disappointment in Mannion has nothing to do with Goff.

Good for you!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then also let Mannion face off against Bosa and Ingram and a starting defense. Goes both ways.
Bosa and Ingram didn't even play that much after that first series they was done the same in Oakland he played against much of their second string