MMQB: Will the NFL allow teams to sell ads on their game jerseys?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is placing ads on NFL game jerseys a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/09/nfl-ad-sponsorships-jersey-business-football-mmqb

Do the Ads Ruin This Photo Sequence?
The NBA will allow teams to sell ads on their game jerseys, which means it’s not a matter of if but when the NFL will follow suit. Purists might take offense, but it's been in the works for years
by Andrew Brandt

patriots-practice-jerseys-logos-650-362.png

Photos by Barry Chin/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
Since 2009, NFL teams have been wearing sponsorship ads on their jerseys during training camp. Here, Patriots safety Tavon Wilson knocked down a pass intended for tight end Alex Silvestro in 2012.

Last month I discussed how the NFL, faced with the Raiders’ advances toward Las Vegas, might become the first major professional sports league to place a franchise there and confront the taboo subject of gambling. Let’s look at another such topic for the NFL, one in which another major sports league has already dipped its toe in the water. To me, it is only a matter of time before all leagues jump into this (revenue) pool. In a small way, and unbeknownst to many, the NFL is already there.

Jersey Games
NBA commissioner Adam Silver has chosen to be a leader on the gambling issue. He wrote an op-ed in the New York Times about the topic, has been critical of hypocrisy regarding gambling and led NBA investment in FanDuel, one of the leading players in daily fantasy.

Now Silver has led NBA owner approval to allow sponsor buy-in on game jerseys, starting with the 2017-18 season in the form of small patches (they will 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches, the same size as the Nike Swoosh that will be on the other side of the jersey). Silver mentioned not only a new source of revenue—the team keeps half of the deal, with the other half going to a shared league fund—but also the benefit of the sponsor investing in promoting their brand, the team brand and overall NBA brand.

The Philadelphia 76ers, the league’s worst team for two consecutive seasons, made the first jersey sponsorship deal, with StubHub, for a reported $5 million per year. That price now sets a marketplace that I expect teams such as the Warriors, Cavaliers, Knicks, Lakers, Thunder and Celtics will easily surpass.

Extending that market comparison to European soccer, here are few interesting numbers:

* Manchester United’s jersey sponsorship deal is the most lucrative, with Chevrolet’s paying a reported $70-80 million per year as part of a seven-year deal that began in 2014.

* FC Barcelona’s jersey sponsorship deal with Qatar Airways—worth approximately $67 million per year—has expired. Although Quatar has an exclusive negotiating window through June 30, the club would be willing to go without a sponsor this season to negotiate the maximum amount possible for the future.

* Leicester City’s deal with King Power is currently worth $1 million per year (that number will soon rise exponentially).

* Fans of European soccer and even some other American sports—MLS, WNBA—have come to accept jersey sponsorships as part of the game. Although it seems far-fetched now, we will eventually have the same attitude about our major sports, even the NFL. It is the inevitable progression of the business of sports.

While there have been a few reactions to the NBA news such as How could they do this? it is subdued compared to what it would be if the NFL had done this. It would (and eventually will) draw howls from NFL fans and media about money-hungry owners turning players into NASCAR drivers, cheapening the brand, ruining the sport, etc. To this, I say 1) get over it, because 2) it is coming.

Natural Evolution
How many of us, say, 20 years ago, expected virtually all stadiums to be named after sponsors? And, of course, stadium-naming rights led to sponsorships for concourses, suite levels, gate entrances, fantasy lounges, halftime shows, sideline tablets, etc. And, broadcasts of NFL games have sponsors for the coin toss, player introductions, halftime reports, trivia questions, play of the game, coaches’ interviews, etc. It seems that no territory has been off limits for sponsor affiliation except the jersey. And, although not everyone even knows it, that has already begun to change.

In 2009, NFL owners allowed teams to sell off a small space on training camp practice jerseys, a size similar to what the NBA has now allowed on game jerseys. As perhaps the league and teams wanted to keep a low profile on this first entry into jersey sponsorship, there are few press releases and announcements about these deals.

We have seen the Patriots adorning the patch of their stadium naming rights partner, Gillette. The Panthers have had a Pepsi sponsor patch. The Lions have had patches of local charities such as the Ronald McDonald and Josephine Ford Cancer Institute.

Other sponsor categories have included local health providers (Packers, Bears, Jets, Titans); automobile companies such as Ford (Browns), Hyundai (Cardinals) and GMC/Buick (Broncos), and technology companies SAP (49ers) and Microsoft’s Bing (Seahawks training camp, although they have worn an American Family Insurance patch). Finally, the Bills have worn the sponsor patch of local mechanical contractor JW Danforth.

The truth is that the NFL has already crossed the Rubicon in this space. With the NBA having taken the further step in allowing game jersey sponsorships, it is no longer a question of if but when the NFL will follow suit. NFL owners are looking under every rock for new revenue streams; this will be one they will not be able to continue to ignore.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Glad I'm dead in 20 years.
NFL jerseys are going to look like Nascar(s).

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Glad I'm dead in 20 years.
NFL jerseys are going to look like Nascar(s).
Which I like and think looks cool.
NFL jerseys? - I'll just be the 'get off my lawn' guy.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Isn't there enough advertisement in football?
Yup. Especially the commercials. The worst is when a team scores a touchdown, kicks the extra point, goes to commercial, kicks off and goes back to commercials. The fuck bro?

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I might be the only guy, but I don't mind putting a small ad on jerseys. That is, if the product matches the team.

5357_new_england_patriots-wordmark-2013.gif

Gillette-Logo-HD.jpg

large.png

Levis-Logo.jpg

heres-the-jacksonville-jaguars-new-logo.jpg

Jaguar_2012_logo.png

0ap3000000623182.jpg

ram-logo.png

Just my opinion.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
While it would look terrible visually, it could raise the salary cap and cut down on commercial breaks. Not saying it should happen, but there are benefits.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@Leuzer shouldn't the Patriots have Go_pro as a sponsor

@RAMpage28 I read cut down on commercials and I LOL'd. No way the NFL cuts down ANYTHING making them $$$. If there is a nickel somewhere they will find it.

Rainram

Starter
Yup. Especially the commercials. The worst is when a team scores a touchdown, kicks the extra point, goes to commercial, kicks off and goes back to commercials. The freak bro?

It's a bit ridiculous.

Because of work I have to record about 1/4-1/3 of the games. When I watch em later, skipping through the commercials, its a relief!!

In contrast, I love watching hockey on TV. Hardly any commercials. The action is much more non-stop. You'll get through a full period with like 2-3 commercial breaks.

Baseball...commercials at the 1/2 innings.

The breaks in football feel unnecessary and unnatural. Unless you're the one making the $$$ I suppose.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Please, no....NFL has lost its power....sign of the times as Prince would sing

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In contrast, I love watching hockey on TV. Hardly any commercials. The action is much more non-stop. You'll get through a full period with like 2-3 commercial breaks.

Stopped watching it because I couldn't see the puck most of the time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While it would look terrible visually, it could raise the salary cap and cut down on commercial breaks. Not saying it should happen, but there are benefits.

If they were interested in that. But; it's all about the money. It pains me to see the NFL squeeze every dime possible.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
NFL makes enough money holy F man. If the greedy @$$ owners start that up imma lose my $h!#!

I absolutely HATE soccer jerseys for just that reason.

Ramzee

Rookie
Please for the love of god NO! I play soccer and I HATE my jersey. WTF is it? It's not even a jersey to me...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If they were interested in that. But; it's all about the money. It pains me to see the NFL squeeze every dime possible.

Profit wasn't always the main purpose, it was one of a few drivers but not anymore. Now it seems like profit is the only purpose and anyone who doesn't like it can go fuck themselves. I'm right there with you regarding the pain, it's no fun to watch the business side of this sport at all and sometimes it's pretty downright gross to see.