Miklasz leaving Post-Dispatch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never been a fan of Bernie, even before the relocation drama. He was the king of negativity and I'll never forget or forgive him for his article cheering on the Cheatriots after winning the Super Bowl in 2001. Good riddance

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I have to admit I don't see the big problem with Cowherd. I've read that quote multiple times and it seems to be saying that he feels the Dominican Republic doesn't have the same academic standards and opportunities that most of the modern world have. He did not say that if a dumb Dominican can comprehend baseball it can't be that hard. Yet people seem to believe he said that. Was it rude? I guess so, but no ruder that someone making a joke about the French being cowards or the Polish being dumb. Yet you can say those things freely in this country without being fired. Add in the fact that he's right that children from the DR don't have the same access to quality education and this seems like getting offended for the sake of being offended. It's almost fashionable now. "Oh, you're offended by that? Ive been offended by this for a few weeks but I think I'm going to be offended by that shortly."

I'll miss Bernie's articles. He is a great supporter of St Louis and that's something I'll miss after a year of listening to the world take undeserved potshots at our city. I'm not a fan of talk radio, so I doubt I'll hear much out of him unless someone post a short link or something.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't really give much though to Bernie. I have a hard time finishing most of his articles. He's an opinionated blowhard IMO. Likes to say things that irritate people. Much in the mold of a shock jock. Not a guy I take seriously.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For those who are saying that he just talked about them not having an education I'll do my best to explain the context.
This has nothing to do with a lack of education and everything to do with his perception of their whole race having lass intelligence than his race.

What does a lack of education have to do with "The game is too complex" ?
What does a lack of education have to do with "Baseball's just too complex" ?

Those two comments have nothing to do with a lack of education and everything to do with a lack of intelligence.
I've been to the Dominican for an all-inclusive in Punta Cana. Driving through Hispaniola is like driving through a war zone, post-war. It's not necessarily a stretch to say (and back it up with reports) that the education system there is lacking. I really don't find that racist. It would be like saying West Virginia is behind in that regard. Sure, he may have gone too far to make his point, but that's what these guys do. Meanwhile Bernie gets a pass for saying his readers are "idiots"or are part of the 'low comprehension crowd' for having a different take than him on more than one occasion.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bernie M is thin skinned and I am sure that it was he that banned me at the PD for my critique of him. Considering the current line up at 101 ESPN, I wonder if Wheeler's Show or the Duncan and Stalter Show will be the ones getting axed? Wheeler is a blowhard and so is Bernie, so I wonder if two Blowards consecutively is what 101ESPN wants? Or..will they axe two self deprecating guys that replaced him in 2013...The Fast Lane is really good, so I think that show is safe....

On side note..I wonder what Bernies Sycophant Press Box forum will do without their god?

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Good Riddance and I pity you St. Louisians that like to listen to ESPN radio.
Actually, Bernie had a three hour radio show on 101 espn and was working with the Post Dispatch simultaneously just a few years ago and stepped away from radio to focus on his work at the Post. As soon as I read the first few lines of the article, I figured he would be back. I actually enjoyed his show quite a bit and I'm glad he'll be back. I'm wondering how they're going to reshuffle the lineup now. Obviously one of the three daytime shows on 101 espn will be leaving, but I know it won't be the Fast Lane.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Dominican Republic is truly a "third world" country, lacking modern day resources that we take for granted every day. The people are not any stupider or smarter than anywhere else, they just don't have the educational opportunities that we have in the USA. Its a damn shame that countries so close to our border have to live in abject poverty.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Reading Bernie's columns in the last six years or so gave me the impression that he is a miserable guy who wrote his pieces like completing a dreaded chore. He may have loved the idea of becoming a sportswriter growing up,,, but it would appear to me that his love of the craft has long since left him.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Bernie M is thin skinned and I am sure that it was he that banned me at the PD for my critique of him. Considering the current line up at 101 ESPN, I wonder if Wheeler's Show or the Duncan and Stalter Show will be the ones getting axed? Wheeler is a blowhard and so is Bernie, so I wonder if two Blowards consecutively is what 101ESPN wants? Or..will they axe two self deprecating guys that replaced him in 2013...The Fast Lane is really good, so I think that show is safe....

On side note..I wonder what Bernies Sycophant Press Box forum will do without their god?
You beat me to it, Loyal. It's gonna be a tough call between Wheeler's and Duncan and Stalter's show as I'm sure the network likes all three guys a lot. They had success with Bernie's show leading into the Fast Lane in the past, so I'm betting he will be in the Duncan/Stalter spot. They'll probably keep Wheeler's show and move Duncan and Stalter around. I know Duncan was with the Fast Lane before Bernie left, so that could be a possibility.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You beat me to it, Loyal. It's gonna be a tough call between Wheeler's and Duncan and Stalter's show as I'm sure the network likes all three guys a lot. They had success with Bernie's show leading into the Fast Lane in the past, so I'm betting he will be in the Duncan/Stalter spot. They'll probably keep Wheeler's show and move Duncan and Stalter around. I know Duncan was with the Fast Lane before Bernie left, so that could be a possibility.

This is true, and I like Chris Duncan a lot...But his replacement Brad Thompson(?), is sooo good. His sharp wit and self deprecating humor might require a greater role or a show for himself in the future....If I was to guess, it would be that Duncan and Stalter are axed, and one hour from the Fast Lane is given to Bernie M for his show.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I liked Cowherd even though I didn't agree with him a lot. What ever happen to allowing opinions? I guess ESPNever is on the PC path like everyone else. I hate this bear scat!

Yeah, yet Stephen A. Smith is allowed to stay even after multiple fuck ups.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
-X- with his take:
It would be like saying West Virginia is behind in that regard. Sure, he may have gone too far to make his point, but that's what these guys do.

Meanwhile Bernie gets a pass for saying his readers are "idiots"or are part of the 'low comprehension crowd' for having a different take than him on more than one occasion.
No, there is no comparison IMO. To me, that's like saying there's no difference between the word ignorant and the word stupid. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge that would result from a lack of education while stupidity is the inability to use that knowledge even if you had it. Completely different. The word "complex" implies (correctly) that it requires a certain amount of intelligence to unravel the complexity. The fact that someone can't find France on a world map says nothing about their intelligence and everything about their ignorance (lack of education).

You see no difference between making a general statement that includes people of all stripes who disagree with him and saying EVEN Dominicans are smart enough to understand something? One of those statements is ridiculous and the other one is racist AND ridiculous. Nobody is giving a pass to Bernie for saying something racist because he never has.

We'll just have to disagree about this.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, yet Stephen A. Smith is allowed to stay even after multiple freak ups.
Of course.
He is black.
This is how it is now in America. Cowherd could have said (using an earlier posters example) something attacking the French or the Polish and nothing would have come of it because the people of those countries are perceived as white.
Worse than getting fired for saying something offense, Cowherd was attacked for saying something accurate. The DR is a poor, corrupt, third world country for the most part. The reason a lot of pro players come from their is they have schools set up, run by baseball scouts, that are baseball schools. Generally, it costs the kids nothing and they do get schooling, food ect., but, the real focus in baseball. So, if a kid shows some talent the parents Im sure are thrilled for them to go because they get an education and food ect. is provided for. If a kid eventually signs a pro contract the scout running the school gets a cut of the bonus (and I would suspect future earnings).
This age of PCism has to come to an end or America is doomed.
Trying to control thought through language is so dangerous. Being offensive is not against the law....and very hard to determine....being accurate is now under attack.
Bruce Jenner wins the "courage" award over a vet who had limbs blown off....I rest my case.
We are doomed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, there is no comparison IMO. To me, that's like saying there's no difference between the word ignorant and the word stupid. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge that would result from a lack of education while stupidity is the inability to use that knowledge even if you had it. Completely different. The word "complex" implies (correctly) that it requires a certain amount of intelligence to unravel the complexity. The fact that someone can't find France on a world map says nothing about their intelligence and everything about their ignorance (lack of education).

You see no difference between making a general statement that includes people of all stripes who disagree with him and saying EVEN Dominicans are smart enough to understand something? One of those statements is ridiculous and the other one is racist AND ridiculous. Nobody is giving a pass to Bernie for saying something racist because he never has.

We'll just have to disagree about this.

Well, I agree with you..I have never heard Bernie say something racist in that way. So instead of being a racist POS, he is just a POS.

Moostache

Rookie
Bernie routinely and selectively dredged up stats to support his opinion, whatever it may have been at any given moment.

Um, no offense, but that is what you are supposed to do with opinion pieces...use stats that support your claims! Do you really expect people to write an opinion piece and then use stats to refute themself?

Bernie's columns were exactly what I expect if I am going to read a sports writer's opinions - they were for the most part his opinion and his alone. Disagreeing with someone's take on an issue does not make that person worthless or a hack or someone to be derided...

I hope that Bernie is on the PM drive slot and the Fast Lane is bumped to take out "The Turn". It would be a much better line-up IMO.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LoyalRam with this:
Well, I agree with you..I have never heard Bernie say something racist in that way. So instead of being a racist POS, he is just a POS.
That's fine and I partially agree with your sentiments.

I'm not saying that Bernie doesn't occasionally display over the top negativity about some topics, that he doesn't frequently whine like a 12 year old or that he doesn't have even more issues that I didn't mention. What I am saying is that he often brings a different perspective on issues and back up his perspective with lots a stats. Whether you a agree with his take, disagree with his take or say he cherry picked his stats, he was a voice that frequently saw and wrote about things that you couldn't see on all the other sites. Sites whose uniformity of opinion is alarming to me. Now, so much of what we read is just a "cut and paste" article from some site that is then used, without revision, by every other site. Bernie's take on things could only rarely be called "cookie cutter" in nature.

I'm not that upset about him leaving because of the aforementioned reasons but I do hope we get a replacement who's not quite so childish but still goes outside the mainstream box on a fairly regular basis.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fine and I partially agree with your sentiments.

I'm not saying that Bernie doesn't occasionally display over the top negativity about some topics, that he doesn't frequently whine like a 12 year old or that he doesn't have even more issues that I didn't mention. What I am saying is that he often brings a different perspective on issues and back up his perspective with lots a stats. Whether you a agree with his take, disagree with his take or say he cherry picked his stats, he was a voice that frequently saw and wrote about things that you couldn't see on all the other sites. Sites whose uniformity of opinion is alarming to me. Now, so much of what we read is just a "cut and paste" article from some site that is then used, without revision, by every other site. Bernie's take on things could only rarely be called "cookie cutter" in nature.

I'm not that upset about him leaving because of the aforementioned reasons but I do hope we get a replacement who's not quite so childish but still goes outside the mainstream box on a fairly regular basis.

My problem isn't that his POV is different than mine, it's his response to those that disagree with him. He derides opposing thought and often calls them loons, and within the last few months has been involved in a purge of those thoughts at RamStalk. He is thin skinned and opinionated, which is an especially unattractive quality for a public guy.

I hear Colin Cowherd is interviewing for Bernie's job...:fighting: