Michael Brockers lets it go so he doesn't get lost on Rams' D-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Brockers lets it go so he doesn't get lost on Rams' D-line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...so-he-doesnt-get-lost-on-rams-dominant-d-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As part of a defensive line tradition before every game, the St. Louis Rams have a conversation about which of them is going to step forward and set the tone for the day.

Those conversations often spawn a healthy competition among one of the league's most talented position groups, pushing each member forward in an on-going race to the ball. As the resident nose tackle on a line that boasts ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long and Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers knows that the nature of his job will often mean he's not going to win the race.

"We talk about who is going to eat today?" Brockers said. "There’s probably no food left at the end of the day when you have Rob and Aaron and Chris. I’m just trying to get the little scraps I can, man."

Brockers feasted as much or more than his fellow linemates last week against Seattle. According to the coaches review of the film, he had 13 tackles, which is rare for someone playing Brockers' position. None of those were more important than the fourth-and-1 stop he and Donald combined for on Seattle back Marshawn Lynch to cement the team's overtime victory.

Before the play, Brockers lobbied defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to go back to a defensive scheme he used earlier in the game but Brockers didn't play as well as he'd hoped. That Brockers and the Rams knew what Seattle was going to do is actually not the most important part of the play.

"The last play of the game spoke for itself," Brockers said. "Early in the game I had a bad play on that same play. I wasn’t in my gap or something happened where I messed it up. I told coach, ‘You have got to trust me on the next one and next time you call that call I will be in the backfield and I will do my assignment,' and it showed up on the last play of the game. I told him to call it and he came back to it and I did my job."

That Brockers relentlessly pushed for Williams to go back to a play he didn't handle properly the first time represented an important step forward in Brockers' development. It's easy to forget that when the Rams drafted Brockers in the first round of the 2012 NFL draft, he was only 21 years old.

By his own admission, Brockers has struggled with forgetting about the bad plays and moving on to the next snap when something goes wrong. Developing a short memory was a point of emphasis for him during the offseason.

"I think I just let it go," Brockers said. "Usually I get in my own way. I’m very critical of myself so if I have a bad play, I’m stuck on that bad play for awhile. I just let it go and ran to the ball, tried to get as many tackles as possible."

Having the competition with his fellow defensive linemen doesn't hurt. Brockers is one game into his fourth NFL season and though the Rams have already picked up his fifth-year option for 2016, a big season would go a long way in solidifying his future with the franchise. For the record, both parties have expressed interest in keeping Brockers a Ram.

And though the nature of his position and the supernova that is Donald conspire to keep Brockers out of the spotlight, linebacker James Laurinaitis is quick to point out that Brockers is a valuable piece to making the defense work.

"(Donald) is special and I think people forget about (Brockers)," Laurinaitis said. "Mike has had a really good offseason overall. He came into OTAs with a phenomenal attitude, worked extremely hard this offseason, has taken practice seriously and you’ve seen his growth through camp. He’s motivated. I think he’s starting to understand that he can dominate guys when he wants to."

Make no mistake, Brockers wants to do just that and if he can feast like his fellow line mates, all the better.

"I still have time to grow, that’s what’s crazy," Brockers said. "It’s funny to say but I’m just now starting to believe in my technique, in my pass rush, not being so hard on myself that I get in my own way. This year is a big year for me. I can feel it. Playing with all these guys makes it easy and I’m just now coming into my own."

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So basically - between Brockers with 13 tackles and Donald being Donald - it was suicidal to try to go up the middle last week against the Rams.

I like that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's the thing here. This D-line is already considered an elite unit and they can get better. Long is the only one who has reached his prime years.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember this offseason when a few were saying the Rams should let Brockers go and draft a mid round guy to replace him?

Not so much.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Brockers is a bit like Chris Long, people like to knock 'em, but they don't see what they actually do and bring to the table. I'm going to say it right here, and I don't give a damn:

Brokers makes Donald better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's the thing here. This D-line is already considered an elite unit and they can get better. Long is the only one who has reached his prime years.

Great point.

I love Brockers lunch-pale role. Dude is a beast.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers is a bit like Chris Long, people like to knock 'em, but they don't see what they actually do and bring to the table. I'm going to say it right here, and I don't give a damn:

Brokers makes Donald better.

Yes. In fact, he makes everybody on the line better. He either takes a double team, or he makes it difficult for RBs to go up the middle. In either case, the rest of the line can focus more on penetrating to get after the QB without as much fear of them being out of position for a run. And as we see from last week - Brockers can tackle a bit, too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I too believe Long has reached his 'Prime', But I don't think he's Peaked yet!:D

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
ppl also better not forget about Long too. we've all read some of the more ridiculous fan chats with Thomas and Wagoner about trading/cutting Long in the near future. 6 QB hurries last Sunday. I watched him countless times chase and force Wilson right into Quinn or Donald. Ram for life

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ppl also better not forget about Long too. we've all read some of the more ridiculous fan chats with Thomas and Wagoner about trading/cutting Long in the near future. 6 QB hurries last Sunday. I watched him countless times chase and force Wilson right into Quinn or Donald. Ram for life

Damn shame I can only like this post just the once! Long (and JL55) are the heartbeat of this defence, I think without him (them) we lose the integrity of how we play. Keep him a Ram, I sure wouldn't want our offence to face a d-line with hm on it! As you said, he may not always get the sack, but he sure does corral QBs into the loving arms of Quinn and Donald ;)

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Remember this offseason when a few were saying the Rams should let Brockers go and draft a mid round guy to replace him?

Not so much.

I remember people saying there's probably not going to be enough money to go around to sign all 4 of our DL and if they could keep only 2 it would be Donald and Quinn, and so it maybe worth getting something for Brockers whilst we still can, but hey either remembering seems plausible to me.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

This is exactly what I was going to post but you beat me to it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If we have to let Britt go and draft some WRs and TEs to replace guys and save the money for the Keep Aaron Donald under the Cap Fund, then so be it, but that guy's contract is gonna be so big they'll be able to see it from space...

Whatever we gotta do, let's do it.

First...let's win the Super Bowl!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we have to let Britt go and draft some WRs and TEs to replace guys and save the money for the Keep Aaron Donald under the Cap Fund, then so be it, but that guy's contract is gonna be so big they'll be able to see it from space...

Whatever we gotta do, let's do it.

First...let's win the Super Bowl!

Well the good news; as a first rounder, we have 4 more seasons until we need to worry about AD.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
They need to find a way to keep all 4 on this line for years.While C.Long might be the 1st one to go I think he still has at least 3 good years left. It's going to be very difficult to hold in to all our young talent but the drafts will replenish some of that.But make no mistake about it the window is opening for this defence and its going to be a special one.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
They need to find a way to keep all 4 on this line for years.While C.Long might be the 1st one to go I think he still has at least 3 good years left. It's going to be very difficult to hold in to all our young talent but the drafts will replenish some of that.But make no mistake about it the window is opening for this defence and its going to be a special one.
I think it's going to be near impossible to keep all four for years. Chris Long is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I do think with Quinn signed for a while, we can probably sign both Brockers and Donald to long term contracts, but then our LE will need replacing. The Rams should invest a fairly high pick (2nd or 1st round) in a DE who could at least rotate, because I don't know how much longer we'll be able to keep both Hayes and Sims. Teams are going to start eroding our depth there.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think it's going to be near impossible to keep all four for years. Chris Long is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I do think with Quinn signed for a while, we can probably sign both Brockers and Donald to long term contracts, but then our LE will need replacing. The Rams should invest a fairly high pick (2nd or 1st round) in a DE who could at least rotate, because I don't know how much longer we'll be able to keep both Hayes and Sims. Teams are going to start eroding our depth there.
Quinn's already signed Brockers will be soon and Donald is in his 2nd year of a possible 5 including the option.Long is under contract for 2 more years I believe so the question then becomes do you extend him

Alan

Legend
RAGRam showing he's still got a good memory:
I remember people saying there's probably not going to be enough money to go around to sign all 4 of our DL
and if they could keep only 2 it would be Donald and Quinn, and so it maybe worth getting something for Brockers whilst we still can, but hey either remembering seems plausible to me.
Yes, that was me. Partially, as in the bolded part. However, we already extended Quinn (thru 2019) and Long (thru 2016) and cut Langford in a cost cutting move http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...release-dt-kendall-langford-cost-cutting-move . Of course we've added Fairley to the mix.
2016 FAs:
Barron
McLeod
Sims
Hayes
Quick
J.J.
Trumaine
Zuerline
barnes
Cunningham
Bates
Reynolds
Cody Davis
Keenum

So in addition to needing to resign Quinn in 2016, lots of decisions have to be made about all those players. I can easily see Brockers being a CAP casualty. Especially if Fairley shows some of what he showed with Detroit. Even if Fairley is a no go I think Brockers shouldn't buy a new house any time soon.

Alan

Legend
Akrasian singing his praises:
Yes. In fact, he makes everybody on the line better. He either takes a double team, or he makes it difficult for RBs to go up the middle. In either case, the rest of the line can focus more on penetrating to get after the QB without as much fear of them being out of position for a run. And as we see from last week - Brockers can tackle a bit, too.
So I'm not going to belabor my position vis-a-vis Brockers (anymore than I already have :LOL:) but I'll just make these final points:
Those bolded points about what Brockers brings to the table all deal, for the most part, with being able to stop the run so, as you put it, the rest of the line can concentrate more on rushing the QB.
Rams 2014 rushing D; 14th 110.3 YPG.
Rams 2013 rushing D; 9th 102.9 YPG.
Rams 2012 rushing D; 15th 117.5 YPG.
When I consider the quality of the rest of the players on our D-line I have to ask myself, "where are the results?" Wouldn't we have similar results with Westbrooks, Fairley or somebody else at T? I certainly don't see it in the stats or the games. I'm not saying he's not a decent player but I see nothing special and just how much money do people think we can expend on just our D-line? With a, hopefully, large new expenditure needed at the QB position plus the other FAs already mentioned.

I think many of you might be living in a dream world. We'll see.

BTW, I said the exact same thing about Langford and what happened?

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great point.

I love Brockers lunch-pale role. Dude is a beast.
With a line like Long, Donald, Brockers and Quinn and rotating Hayes and Sims, and adding in the rest of our "D", I have no problem saying this is the Best "D" we have had sense the Fearsome-Foursome days!!! And they could prove to be BETTER!! ( IF The ref's ever quit allowing teams to hold Quinn!!)