MemphisRams Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
(assumes Rams selecting in 16-18 Range)

DAY ONE

1) La’el Collins, OT/OG, LSU
LaEl-Collins-NFL-Draft.jpg

Collins was a kid I targeted for Round 2 of the 2014 NFL draft, but he decided to stay in school. Collins spent his first couple of seasons at LSU playing OG prior to his move to LT in 2013. This versatility and added experience should only increase his draft stock for 2015. Collins gives the Rams another stud run blocker along the Oline.

DAY TWO

2) DeAndre Smelter, WR, GaTech
ncf_a_dsmelter_dj_576x324.jpg

To date, Georgia Tech’s newest star WR rarely gets much mention and pending his offseason workouts he may not make it this far on draft day. But, IMO, this former 6’3” 220 lbs. baseball player enjoying a breakout Senior season for the Bulldogs would be a perfect fit for the Rams offense. Smart, Good size, good hands, good work ethic, deceptive speed, and a strong blocker to boot.

3) Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
USATSI_7548614.jpg

Minus changing the entire offense, he’s not ready to play immediately. IMO, the same could be said for just about every QB in this draft except perhaps Winston. But, what this spread offense QB gives his new team is a guy with the physical tools, mental makeup, and leadership skills to potentially develop into a starting NFL QB. Depending upon how well his offseason goes, the Rams might have to trade up a bit to get him (might even have to use their 2nd rounder).

DAY THREE

4) Traded for Buccaneers (for Mark Barron)

5) Henry Anderson, DT/DE, Stanford
Henry-Anderson-Stanford-Cardinal-Breakout-Players-2.jpg

6) Traded for Buccaneers (for Mark Barron)

7) Traded to Falcons (Completes Ogletree trade down deal)

7) Thurston Armbrister, LB, Miami (from Patriots for Salas)
ThurstonArmbrister_display_image.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the La'el Collins pick. I've heard good things about DeAndre Smelter but haven't watched him yet. Although I do wonder if there's not better value to be found. I do not like Bryce Petty. I think he's extremely overrated and has a major medical red flag.

Yea, he's big, strong armed, and athletic but he doesn't handle pressure/the blitz well, his accuracy isn't nearly to the level that it's touted to be, and he doesn't process the middle of the field well.

Have you seen Garrett Greyson, Trevone Boykin, or Dak Prescott? They're the three left on my "need to evaluate" list because the rest of the QBs outside the top 3 just aren't what I'm looking for.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love the La'el Collins pick. I've heard good things about DeAndre Smelter but haven't watched him yet. Although I do wonder if there's not better value to be found. I do not like Bryce Petty. I think he's extremely overrated and has a major medical red flag.

Yea, he's big, strong armed, and athletic but he doesn't handle pressure/the blitz well, his accuracy isn't nearly to the level that it's touted to be, and he doesn't process the middle of the field well.

Have you seen Garrett Greyson, Trevone Boykin, or Dak Prescott? They're the three left on my "need to evaluate" list because the rest of the QBs outside the top 3 just aren't what I'm looking for.

Petty isn't close to being a finished product (none of these guys are), but he has the physical tools and smarts to possibly develop into something. Well worth an early to mid 3rd round pick, IMO. I really think that he's going to turn some heads this offseason (but hopefully those heads aren't turning to puke).

I've watched Prescott. He'd be making a huge mistake if he declares, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Petty isn't close to being a finished product (none of these guys are), but he has the physical tools and smarts to possibly develop into something. Well worth an early to mid 3rd round pick, IMO. I really think that he's going to turn some heads this offseason (but hopefully those heads aren't turning to puke).

I've watched Prescott. He'd be making a huge mistake if he declares, IMO.

I'm not a Petty guy. Strikes me as a John Skelton type player. Big guy, athletic, strong arm...but just doesn't do the most important things well enough.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I've been thinking...do we really need a 2nd rounder receiver? If Smelter is by far the BPA than go ahead, but..

Stedman Bailey looks like a keeper. Fantastic game by him and he looks to be becoming what we envisioned.
Kenny Britt has been dominant the last couple weeks. His stats don't show it against the Chargers, but he's been great. No way we don't resign him.
Brian Quick is possibly the best receiver of those three, was on pace for a lot of receptions, 1000+ yards and quite a few TDs before his injury.
Tavon Austin hasn't shown up as a receiver much, but we know the talent is there and he's going to be entering his third year where most receivers start to shine.

Not to mention Jared Cook or Lance Kendricks (assuming we keep him). And all of those guys mentioned are 27 or younger. Give them a good QB and they're a much better receiving corps than people realize.

I just think that unless we're getting a top talent like Cooper, we shouldn't take a WR unless the value is too much to pass up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've been thinking...do we really need a 2nd rounder receiver? If Smelter is by far the BPA than go ahead, but..

Stedman Bailey looks like a keeper. Fantastic game by him and he looks to be becoming what we envisioned.
Kenny Britt has been dominant the last couple weeks. His stats don't show it against the Chargers, but he's been great. No way we don't resign him.
Brian Quick is possibly the best receiver of those three, was on pace for a lot of receptions, 1000+ yards and quite a few TDs before his injury.
Tavon Austin hasn't shown up as a receiver much, but we know the talent is there and he's going to be entering his third year where most receivers start to shine.

Not to mention Jared Cook or Lance Kendricks (assuming we keep him). And all of those guys mentioned are 27 or younger. Give them a good QB and they're a much better receiving corps than people realize.

I just think that unless we're getting a top talent like Cooper, we shouldn't take a WR unless the value is too much to pass up.

They don't need a 2nd round anything, IMO. But, they need to load up on as many talented plays no matter the position as they can.

I go back to the 2015 draft not being just about the 2016 season and how team needs can change yearly. I remember a few years back when the team was supposedly set at CB (Finnegan's 1st year) and how quickly that thought process fell apart the following season.

It's possible the team could be looking at the same thing with the WR core.

- Britt has played well, but he has had several knee & off the field issues in the past. He may also sign elsewhere.
- Quick looked very good, but his injury was said to be more severe than what they expected. Sure, he'll probably be fine next year, but it will also be the final year of his contract.

And joining him in the final years of their contracts will be a host of others including William Hayes, Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, & Greg the Leg. Plus, you can include Sam Bradford if he's still in their plans. Will or can the Rams sign them all?

Finally, if said player can potentially be an upgrade at a position, then I'm all for the selection. Focusing too much on needs keeps talented players like Aaron Donald off the team as the Rams didn't need a "1st round" DT when they selected him.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Collins is a big time fit for us. He will be an excellent OG. Big and strong, but has good athleticism. He would be outstanding.

I like Petty's arm talent. Spread QBs scare me though because there is so much of the NFL game that they do not do.

I haven't really studied anybody this year, but you have a good eye for talent. I will look into the other guys.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Memphis, jrry & FRO is who we lean on and the fact that the Quarterback position seems to be a quandary is keeping me up at night.

I'm hoping for a new offensive coordinator in 2015 and I am sure if that happens, he would have some insight on what direction they are going. But right now is there a quarterback in Canada worth looking at?

FRO

Legend
Memphis, jrry & FRO is who we lean on and the fact that the Quarterback position seems to be a quandary is keeping me up at night.

I'm hoping for a new offensive coordinator in 2015 and I am sure if that happens, he would have some insight on what direction they are going. But right now is there a quarterback in Canada worth looking at?
Those guys know much more than I do. I think the main problem is this QB class is so thin. We have very limited options.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I believe we still have a 6th round pick from the Patriots from the Greg Salas trade.

So give us a player for the 207 (ish) pick or else I think we all just have to call this a big fat incomplete.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I believe we still have a 6th round pick from the Patriots from the Greg Salas trade.

So give us a player for the 207 (ish) pick or else I think we all just have to call this a big fat incomplete.

I haven't seen it reported anywhere of the Rams receiving a 6th rounder. I've seen 7th rounder in a few spots though.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I haven't seen it reported anywhere of the Rams receiving a 6th rounder. I've seen 7th rounder in a few spots though.

Ah - you're right it did turn out to be a 7th afterall - and I see you included it. Carry on, carry on.