Mark Cuban: NFL 10 years away from an implosion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It's not just the national Thursday game though. Expand the playoffs, then tack on an extra couple games to the regular season. Drag out the draft an extra 2 or 3 weeks for no reason other than to generate more air time.

It can and will definitely have an impact.

I doubt it will be something immediately felt by the NFL, but the MLB didn't just lose its stranglehold on the nation over night.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's not just the national Thursday game though. Expand the playoffs, then tack on an extra couple games to the regular season. Drag out the draft an extra 2 or 3 weeks for no reason other than to generate more air time.

I doubt it will be something immediately felt by the NFL, but the MLB didn't just lose its stranglehold on the nation over night.

There is no way they can add extra games until this current CBA is up and I don't see it hapenning in the next one, players and the union are dead set against it. I can see the playoffs being expanded by one round for sure though. Between that an another game during the week they will make a lot more money. Enough to keep them happy for a little while anyway.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Oversaturation? IDK, these past couple of years I have been pissed about not getting ENOUGH coverage. With all the lame local TV rules they have only two Sunday day games showing a lot of weeks. When I was a kid you got two morning games and two afternoon games.
The game will be killed by Goodell and all the candy-ass rules, not by showing the product more....

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
image.jpg

image.jpg

The NBA looks weak in comparison as far as attendance. Maybe the revenue discrepancy is associated with the interest of the fans. After all, these other sports seem fairly watered down with so many games per season. (Just decided to look up some quick graphic data, I apologize if it fails to meet the standard quality of ROD) :D

RamEERS

Pastor
cuban's always been one of those managers that never know when to shut up... he should be buddy buddy with richard sherman

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The NFL, the direction it's heading in, reminds me of when I was a boy and played Little League. My friends and I used to find a place to play on the weekends. We would get into fights, get bruises and cuts, tear up our clothes, etc. Then next weekend we'd be at it again. Then some of us joined up with a Little League team. Everything was organized to the hilt and the adults crushed all the joy out of the game. At least that was my experience.

Roger Goodell is well on his way to doing the same thing to the NFL. Yeah, we need rules and the concussion situation needs to be addressed to make the game safer. But do we really need the endless fines for uniform violations, celebrations on the field, and now there's talk of penalties for foul language? Cuban is right but for the wrong reason. As Mojo alluded to, it won't be over-saturation that does the NFL in, it will be over-regulation by Commissioner Buzzkill.
This is exactly what I was thinking. People will tune in to watch the NFL players play the game. They will tune out as they see the over-regulation kill the game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View attachment 1436
View attachment 1437
The NBA looks weak in comparison as far as attendance. Maybe the revenue discrepancy is associated with the interest of the fans. After all, these other sports seem fairly watered down with so many games per season. (Just decided to look up some quick graphic data, I apologize if it fails to meet the standard quality of ROD) :D
To be fair, the venue size isn't really comparable. If you look at it, that equates to about 40% more butts in seats over the course of a season in favor of the NBA. The revenues tell a better picture of just how strong the NFL is but if the NBA can continue to draw these kinds of crowds, it is in pretty good shape.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then how do you explain the gigantic ratings for Monday night and Thursday night games?

Because people love football. As I said, the logic with fans isn't..."oh, I can miss a Rams game because a Seahawks game is on tomorrow". That'll never change.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
View attachment 1436
View attachment 1437

It's not the games per season, it's the sport. More people like football, that's all. If the NFL allowed 106 man rosters and had double the games it would still sell.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think what Mark Cuban says has some merit, but regarding this about the CBS Thursday games...it's the same game they play on NFLN. It gives more people an opportunity who don't have NFLN (like me) to see the full game, many times teams they rarely (if ever) get to see.

But Mark does have a point, eventually something major could happen that would derail the system.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
AND a very intelligent billionaire businessman. (n)

He did walk away from buying YouTube a few years back for about one fiftieth what it's worth now. He said it was going to be a huge mess of infringement lawsuits and would end up shut down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I'm with you. Not to mention the overseas games, silly rule changes, etc.

The NFL appears arrogant, in my book, with some of the things they are doing.

And remember; Green Bay, Indy, and Cincinnati struggled to sellout playoff games in 2013. If that's not a warning sign!

SierraRam

Recreational User
The expanded schedule has helped the NFL's popularity, and Cuban would be an owner of an NFL team in a second if he had a chance. He'll implode before the NFL does.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cuban is full of it. The NFL isn't going to go to Saturdays during the college season. There's an unspoken agreement with the NCAA. It'll hurt both of them if they do it. Thursday Night Football was already happening. This just makes it available to a wider audience. People love football. That won't change because of what night it is on.

And Yama, I disagree. The vast majority of football fans have favorite teams. So they will make sure they tune in to watch their team play. The idea that another game is on tomorrow has no bearing if it's not their team.

So you don't watch MNF or TNF if it doesn't involve the Rams?

I think his point is that they don't have to go to the stadium and spend $400 when they can stream it free or get Sunday Ticket.

fearsomefour

Legend
The challenge facing any entertainment forum now is the free streaming boogy man.
Outside of that the only thing that strikes me as sort of funny is an NBA owner....the one league that could really benefit from reducing the size of its league (mostly a non competitive league)....talking about market saturation.
The thing to remember is the story that is being pushed, by a league or the press is not always reality. The NBA has a portion of the market that either MLB and the NFL have. This narrative of declining MLB has largely been proven to be nonsense. The NFL makes a couple billion more per year than MLB. However, when you factor in other streams of money, minor league teams (the city where I live has a AAA team that sells thousands of tickets per game, about 70 times per year) there is more money in baseball. Huge money.
I like Cuban and think he is entertaining and a bright guy, but, the NFL is what it is.