Manziel “Instant Quarterback Controversy” for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'll do my best to pretend not...and I'll certainly be worried about it.

He asked when it benefited a QB's performance to have competition drafted. Well, Brees certainly played better after they drafted Rivers.

It was a joke, jrry.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That logic doesn't fly with me. You can draft a QB at #13 to groom him. Packers were smart enough to draft a kid at #24 in 2005 to groom. Yes, I realize Favre was older.

The point of the matter is the idea that you can't sit a QB is completely flawed. You can sit a QB. Most teams just don't out of necessity. And that's nothing new.

There are shades of gray in the world. This isn't black and white. Choosing a QB at #13 does not mean giving up on Bradford or that it's a wasted pick if you believe in Bradford. It's called hedging your bets with a player that is great value. You're preparing for the worst. And if things workout with Bradford, you trade the QB. Which isn't hard to do.

the two examples you've given are teams that had championship winning qbs as starters. No way it works out well for the rams.

The chargers had given up on brees. They then lucked out with him playing at a pro bowl level. But then they found out trading either qb wasn't as easy as you make out and ended up with nothing and the lesser qb.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the two examples you've given are teams that had championship winning qbs as starters. No way it works out well for the rams.

The chargers had given up on brees. They then lucked out with him playing at a pro bowl level. But then they found out trading either qb wasn't as easy as you make out and ended up with nothing and the lesser qb.

That's actually not true. The Chargers didn't want to trade Rivers. Brees was franchised and then blew out his shoulder near the end of that year. Had he been healthy, they likely could have franchised him again and traded him.

They actually tried to re-sign Brees to a long term deal but the Saints made a better offer. If they had succeeded, I bet they trade Rivers WITH EASE.

Regardless, assuming Bridgewater pans out, the risk here seems to be that Sam pans out too. I don't consider that much of a risk or a bad situation to be in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
sorry but drafting a qb at the top of the 1st round isn't a contingency plan, it's a change in direction for the team. Nothing anyone says can change that fact.

Then I guess we'll keep stockpiling those 7th rounders, UDFAs and journeymen so as to not upset the apple cart.
Cuz, you know, it's been a rousing success so far when they show up under center.

RmsLegends

Rookie
Why are we even constantly comparing Bradford to one of the greatest QBs of all time, anyway? Tom Brady didn't play anything like Tom Brady today when he was Sam's age. Not to mention he's always had that bulletproof offensive line in front of him, Belichick's always made sure of that.

I am not sure wha ya mean as Brady had already won Superbowls at that age, in fact he won his SB's at his younger age and lost them in his older age when he had more veteran experience so not sure what ya mean by your statement.

While a Bradford to Brady comparison might not be realistic at this moment in time, that folks do it might not be a bad thing and just another form of social comparison theory. Where we compare in either a upward or downward direction. In the upward ya compare to someone who is better as a benchmark believing that benchmark can be attained and as a motivation to get there in a downward comparison ya compare to someone who has inferior abilities so ya can feel better about yourself.

So in theory I would say it is good that folks compare Bradford to Brady as folks see he has skills and can reach the level of a benchmark like Brady has had, when we begin to compare him to Leaf or someone else who had a horrible career I would say all hope and belief in him by us has been lost.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Its Voodoo bullshit! :)
200.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's actually not true. The Chargers didn't want to trade Rivers. Brees was franchised and then blew out his shoulder near the end of that year. Had he been healthy, they likely could have franchised him again and traded him.

They actually tried to re-sign Brees to a long term deal but the Saints made a better offer. If they had succeeded, I bet they trade Rivers WITH EASE.

Regardless, assuming Bridgewater pans out, the risk here seems to be that Sam pans out too. I don't consider that much of a risk or a bad situation to be in.

np doubt but would they have received a top 4 pick in return?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then I guess we'll keep stockpiling those 7th rounders, UDFAs and journeymen so as to not upset the apple cart.
Cuz, you know, it's been a rousing success so far when they show up under center.

i believe the rams are gonna set their sights a bit higher in this draft. just not at the top of the 1st round.

jjab360

Legend
I am not sure wha ya mean as Brady had already won Superbowls at that age, in fact he won his SB's at his younger age and lost them in his older age when he had more veteran experience so not sure what ya mean by your statement.
Team success =/= QB success

Memphis Ram

Legend

Going a bit far there. Using a 1st round pick on a QB is a change of direction (Given the size of Bradford's contract, it's a change of direction that I wouldn't mind if they really believed in another player in this draft class). But, they don't have to go 7th round or below to bring in another guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Going a bit far there. Using a 1st round pick on a QB is a change of direction (Given the size of Bradford's contract, it's a change of direction that I wouldn't mind if they really believed in another player in this draft class). But, they don't have to go 7th round or below to bring in another guy.
Well guess what. I have the internet's only Joe Pendleton gif, so your argument is invalid.

4nwqzz1mq5zhdrmfg.jpg