Mangold or Sullivan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FA Center of choice

• Nick Mangold

• John Sullivan

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So overpay for one of 2 guys coming off surgery and hasn't played in the NFL to test the chance of reinjury? Why because that's what we do?
Who is suggesting that we do that?
So let me get this straight, starting a rookie is no good, starting who we have is no good and signing a free agent to be a bridge is no good.
So, what's left?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So let me get this straight, starting a rookie is no good, starting who we have is no good and signing a free agent to be a bridge is no good.
So, what's left?

A trade.

Seems whenever I consider trades this off-season I keep coming back to Cleveland. Not only would TruJohnson be a gift to Greg Williams and the Browns defensive scheme, they can afford to move some players which may no longer figure in their long-term plans. The Browns picked up both Tretter & Zeitler during free agency, coupled with Joe Thomas & Bitonio, they may now rival Dallas for top offensive line honors. They have a young 3-4 ILB (Kirksey), they still retain the rights to Josh Gordon, and they have what has up to now been a disappointing C/OG in Cameron Erving. Bitonio had some very good things to say about Erving, mentioning he was probably miscast as an OG and could have been their starting Center, of course, the team went on to grab Tretter. If Kromer can help our reserve OG's, i'm pretty certain he can be beneficial to Erving.
Anyway, just my two cents on another player which could be added to a potential Rams/Browns conversation for building a trade. jmo.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I don't doubt that is what happens. I feel positive we go Center by the 4th round in this draft and that guy could easily be the Center of the future as well as play some this year but our starting Center this year? If Kromer is a master mind in development, doesn't it figure a player like Barnes who has familiarity to this QB and team would be a good starting point? I don't mean to say Barnes could suddenly become a Pro Bowler under Kromer but wouldn't he have just as much of a chance as somebody else on the roster that hasn't played Center? How much money did we save by letting Barnes go? Did it make a difference in FA acquisitions? I'm pretty cloudy on the subject and I trust your opinion since you were an OL no? Help a brother out!!!!:thinking:

No one appreciates all Tim Barnes did to win the center job as I do. Beating out Barret Jones who with his Liz Franc and Back surgery just could'nt buy a break after such a great above shoulders head for center along with a terrific collegiate career with 3 Championships. One at OT,OG and as a senior he filled their weakest spot at center. He never worked out at all as a Ram. Still sad over it. Then Rhaney who my momma said if you don't have somethin nice to say then don't say nothin at all. I'm no hater but Tim beat these guys out but Tim lacks the foundation as he was steamrolled too often last season and I could make excuses for him with the play of the whole OL.

Mr. Barnes was released and saved us some cap room and I'm sure coach Kromer watched every snap Tim took for us last season and was in on that call. I know he also has studied our other linemans every play also. I'd love to buy him dinner tonight and pick his brain. He knows whats next for us RAMS in our cementing this OL. It's the biggest and most important thing in making the Rams a success finally and of course jared Goff's protection and room for Gurley to run again.

We released players to gain our cap space a day late as Tretter was already signed by the Browns. Maybe he was looking for $$$ anyway. He would have been my pick for us in FA at center. Best option. We got 3 Million by releasing Barnes. We were slow at gaining our cap space in MPO. I personally think we can get a year outta Wichman or even A. Donnal could be a major surprise as I see him as a real stud and can do many things we may have never thought of him as. He being from IOWA already in my book from the Ferentz OL system knows fundamentals of every OL position. My prediction is Donnal is our starting center and once in place won't be replaced by a 4th round pick. We do need to train a backup in case of injury though as Kromer did with Groy backing up Cook. I think Rhaney better play like a man posessed to have a shot to stick as a Ram. Glad our new OLT will be helping with technique and weightroom and unifying the OL and giving them confidence once again. Maybe never leave GRobs side.

Maybe we try one last trade with the Bills . I just fully believe we have extra talent to be cross trained and it could even be J. Brown they might see as our next 8 year starter under Kromer and staff. No W.Rychburg (sp?) or Travis Freddricks for Giants & Cowboys in 1st round. Best I've seen is Elflein from Ohio State who I believe will be there at top of round 2. I think teams will trade up ahead of us to take him too. Even though he should fall to mid or later 2nd round. We then grab best CB/WR on the board.

Congrats and a big salute to Tim Barnes and his effort he put forth. I secretly and as nice as I can say it but I'll bet Goff and Gurley would love to see a reconstructed group in front of them this season. GOD grant us a Blessed year of Health teamwide.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So, what's left?
Well lets see ....Give a veteran center who played & suited up for 77 NFL games. started 36 NFL games. Started & lined up to play in all 32 games the last two seasons who played with six different OG's beside him & played inured over the last half of the season......who was just released for 3 million.......a Call if he would answer the phone

Not sure I could make the statement that those who McVay have now is no good....none have every started @ center yet, because Tim Barnes has always answered the call the last two seasons. I am thinking they may be an Unknown at this moment. I do know one thing that Rhaney back in 2015 was one NOT a good starting OLG lining up besides Robinson.

Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
john-l-sullivan-irish-whiskey.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Long wasn't hurt his first year
Whoever they sign in FA is a stop gap unless they draft the one in a million rookie who can start day 1
So yeah, give me 1 year of solid veteran o-line play and slide the rookie in there next year.
#problemsolved

If Forrest Lamp falls to the late first, I'd trade up for him. He'd definitely solve the problem.

Well lets see ....Give a veteran center who played & suited up for 77 NFL games. started 36 NFL games. Started & lined up to play in all 32 games the last two seasons who played with six different OG's beside him & played inured over the last half of the season......who was just released for 3 million.......a Call if he would answer the phone

Not sure I could make the statement that those who McVay have now is no good....none have every started @ center yet, because Tim Barnes has always answered the call the last two seasons. I am thinking they may be an Unknown at this moment. I do know one thing that Rhaney back in 2015 was one NOT a good starting OLG lining up besides Robinson.

If you're talking about Tim Barnes, put down the phone, you're drunk. ;)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
A trade.

Seems whenever I consider trades this off-season I keep coming back to Cleveland. Not only would TruJohnson be a gift to Greg Williams and the Browns defensive scheme, they can afford to move some players which may no longer figure in their long-term plans. The Browns picked up both Tretter & Zeitler during free agency, coupled with Joe Thomas & Bitonio, they may now rival Dallas for top offensive line honors. They have a young 3-4 ILB (Kirksey), they still retain the rights to Josh Gordon, and they have what has up to now been a disappointing C/OG in Cameron Erving. Bitonio had some very good things to say about Erving, mentioning he was probably miscast as an OG and could have been their starting Center, of course, the team went on to grab Tretter. If Kromer can help our reserve OG's, i'm pretty certain he can be beneficial to Erving.
Anyway, just my two cents on another player which could be added to a potential Rams/Browns conversation for building a trade. jmo.

Not picking on you Riverrumbbq . As Bonifay will tell you we get every FSU game on TV each week. I live with an FSU campus here in Panama City so am very familiar with a split city of Noles and Gators flying their flags. Everyone showing their side. It's too funny.

Cameron Irving has some things in common with our Barrett Jones (Bama) as he also his Senior year at FSU moved to the teams weakest OL spot CENTER from OLT. Did'nt they also win the National Championship with Mr. Tampa Bay Bucs QB and that great tall WR they had who caught that Last second TD for the Championship.(Titans?) I think the Browns who drafted Irving for center of course after a couple years and Irving played behind Mack who went to SB Falcons last year and then Cam got his shot that maybe was'nt fair being it was the nightmare Browns. I think after they signed Tretter and ruined my day I too wondered why they gave up on Irving so early ? I know he can play all OL positions and if Kromer thought he has progressed and he is a very tall center for those who are learning there are lots of tall centers now.

This is a player if healthy and has added some lower body strength. Something Barnes lacked for us last season. I think Pocic may struggle in the Pro's till he and Toth both get a FULL year in an NFL weightroom. I love your thinking Riverumbbq and wish we could get some tweets to an active tweeter like Tavon about Cam Irving.Tavon talks about everyone in the league and draft and FA. I have not kept up with Cam's health and will now do my homework and see if he is a great target for us. Don't think he's been given a fair shot. Wonder what Coach Hue Jackson thinks about Cam going forward? Best idea so far going forward if Cam is healthy and focused for a trade.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I'm open to all possibilities. Not opposed to signing an aged vet on a short term deal while we groom a rookie. if the staff thinks we have a guy on staff that could hold the fort I'm good with that too. One thing I'm not sold on is the idea that not getting Groy was some sort of tragic mistake. He would have been a nice addition but based on the contract he was offered, not a loss either

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So, what's left?
I never have stated starting a rookie as bad or to pick up a bridge player and a rookie. I have just simply stated that picking up a vet with injury history or overpriced is bad. We need to do our due diligence and pay the contract appropriately.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Not getting Groy is disappointing of course, as he would have given a player who has started nfl games at center. As it stands now, I'd really like to see what Jamon Brown can do at C, and then a 4th round on John Toth from Kentucky. If Goff is going to responsible for calling protections, it'll make things a lot easier on our inexperienced center. I'd like to see Donnel as the swing tackle, while Wichman would be the backup at the interior spots. Jamon, at 6'4" 325 certainly has the size Kromer likes, and he would have no trouble getting to 2nd level blocks. A line of:
LT: Whitworth
G: Saffold
C: Brown
RG: Havenstein
RT: Robinson
would have the youth and potential to evolve into a very effective unit. JMHO

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never have stated starting a rookie as bad or to pick up a bridge player and a rookie. I have just simply stated that picking up a vet with injury history or overpriced is bad. We need to do our due diligence and pay the contract appropriately.
Ok my bad
The Jake Long example just ruffles my feathers. To me it just goes to show that you need some luck in the NFL and the Rams lately have been dealt only the bad kind of luck.
Jake Long at the time of that contract was only 27 years old, which is only 1 year older than "the one who got away" in Groy.
It was a great signing and paid off in his first season. The injury concern about his back was washed away. The knee injuries are what killed his career so there was no way to see that coming
Just bad luck. And if in a similar position to get a stud OLT today I'd hope they'd sign him.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ok my bad
The Jake Long example just ruffles my feathers. To me it just goes to show that you need some luck in the NFL and the Rams lately have been dealt only the bad kind of luck.
Jake Long at the time of that contract was only 27 years old, which is only 1 year older than "the one who got away" in Groy.
It was a great signing and paid off in his first season. The injury concern about his back was washed away. The knee injuries are what killed his career so there was no way to see that coming
Just bad luck. And if in a similar position to get a stud OLT today I'd hope they'd sign him.

This is where I'll agree to disagree. Jake Longs 1st year wasn't all that great. Yes he played 15 games but he played as a shell of his former self. Had several peneltys that were drive/score killers such as tripping against the Panthers. He was not worth the contract we paid out even in his 1st year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where I'll agree to disagree. Jake Longs 1st year wasn't all that great. Yes he played 15 games but he played as a shell of his former self. Had several peneltys that were drive/score killers such as tripping against the Panthers. He was not worth the contract we paid out even in his 1st year.
Agree to disagree. He was steam rolling folks mid year and made Zac Stacy look like a stud. He was the anchor to a bunch of mis-matched parts and the minute he was out Stacy ran in to a brick wall.
Granted, he wasn't good early, nor was the line as a whole

nimite

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there draft player that can play day one because i don't see player in roster more effective that barnes ? Personnally want a vet and a rookie to form.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, 10% of the people answering this poll might be happy. Sullivan visiting the Rams. The other 90% might have to find a way to get happy!:whistle:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Bringing in Sullivan (or Mangold) does not mean you can't still draft a rookie. It just means you aren't forced to play the rookie if you feel he's not completely comfortable. It also means you can take a center later in the draft to develop if that's what we'd want to do. I don't see what's wrong with that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bringing in Sullivan (or Mangold) does not mean you can't still draft a rookie. It just means you aren't forced to play the rookie if you feel he's not completely comfortable. It also means you can take a center later in the draft to develop if that's what we'd want to do. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Or he can give The Rams time to develop a player on there roster to play center. The Rams need a back up. Who knows maybe Wichmann can beat out Sullivan ?
Drafting a center works as well. I think The Rams have to go best player available .

lockdnram21

Legend
If Kromer was so concerned about it then he would have pushed the Rams to offer more to Groy, IMO. The Rams can find a good center without having to use a second round pick on one. But, if they want one of the best in the league a high pick is often warranted. Either way Centers can be found and coached up throughout the draft. He may even think he likes what he sees in a player on the roster already.

I am not too concerned. Most of the needs have been addressed. The draft requirements have been reduced to a manageable point. I don't think I will necessarily get my big playmaker like I hoped but right now Center, Corner or two, Pass rushing LBer, maybe a Free Safety seem to be the biggest needs. I am not even so sure about the free safety. They haven't cut anyone from the DB group.

Filling remaining needs is definitely doable.
Cb shouldn't be high after what they just spent on Tru and Webster

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Cb shouldn't be high after what they just spent on Tru and Webster

3 of our top 4 corners are unrestricted free agents next year. Even if we do get all of them back, Gaines might not never be the same after his injury, Joyner could move to safety and is nickel only even at CB, and Johnson has struggled with injuries in his career and missed a pretty sizeable amount of time. Our 4th corner is Kayvon Webster, a man who hasn't seen significant defensive snaps in years.

Why would CB NOT be a significant need?