Les Snead on What He's Looking For in Players at the Sr.Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn Frank! That's one yellow hat you got on coach!

Ram65

Legend
Rams may not always get it right when evaluating talent but, they seem to put the effort needed in the process.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams may not always get it right when evaluating talent but, they seem to put the effort needed in the process.
No team is always right with draft picks and free agents.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
LA Ram's first draft in 21 years. Bring me a HOF draft, one for the ages.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The trend is there for us to expect a great draft from this regime; each successive draft has gotten better year to year as the front office and scout team settles in. Last year's draft was probably their best, but it will take time to know of course.

As to draft grading, using the term "hit" depends on round taken IMO. For example there is an enormous difference between a starter like Gandy and a starter like Gurley or Donald. You can get guys who can start in rounds 2-4. Round 1 guys should be impact performers, guys who make a difference. So if you draft a solid starter in round 1 you would have been better served moving down and accruing more picks among guys who are more likely to be solid starters if you hit on them.

And of course with late round guys like round 6 getting a consistent special teamer and depth guy is a hit on that pick. Getting a starter who might be a difference maker like Gaines is a grand slam. All IMO of course.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The trend is there for us to expect a great draft from this regime; each successive draft has gotten better year to year as the front office and scout team settles in. Last year's draft was probably their best, but it will take time to know of course.

Okay, Merlin, while I agree about the past drafts improving as they go, I am very skeptical about this one. This is a draft (depending on Free agency) where it is very likely the Rams have to get their QB of the future and some pass catchers.........along with a DE and MLB, if possible. (Or some mix of the needs). So far, I have not been the at all impressed with the Wide Receiver acquisitions, nor that of the QBs, or lack there of. They hung onto hope with Sam far too long, they passed on Bortles, Carr, and Bridgewater The opportunities to get a young backup in place were pretty weak too. They invested fully on the belief that Nick Foles will magically recover his 2013 form, when there were some clear reasons to not be so faithful. QB and WR has been a big mess so far.

This is a pivotal offseason for the LA Rams. Pivotal.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rounds 1 thru 3 are the ones you should be able to pick well in, the later rounds are the ones that make or break your Draft!! JMHO
as you've noticed, perhaps a good reason why they finished 4-12. and who's brad ottis ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Okay, Merlin, while I agree about the past drafts improving as they go, I am very skeptical about this one. This is a draft (depending on Free agency) where it is very likely the Rams have to get their QB of the future and some pass catchers.........along with a DE and MLB, if possible. (Or some mix of the needs). So far, I have not been the at all impressed with the Wide Receiver acquisitions, nor that of the QBs, or lack there of. They hung onto hope with Sam far too long, they passed on Bortles, Carr, and Bridgewater The opportunities to get a young backup in place were pretty weak too. They invested fully on the belief that Nick Foles will magically recover his 2013 form, when there were some clear reasons to not be so faithful. QB and WR has been a big mess so far.

This is a pivotal offseason for the LA Rams. Pivotal.

No doubt. What is interesting is if you look at each draft they do very well in their targeted area, the position they are focused on. I was wondering whether they could find a good OL until last year's draft, for example, and they focused the F out of the position and came out of that draft with a completely rebuilt OL. So while I am skeptic like you are, I have to give them credit on some very good drafting overall.

WR they definitely need to raise the bar on. And what I wonder about is to what extent Sherman was involved in drafting the guys they took. Teams use the input from the staff in their evaluation process. But either way yes they need to add a veteran who can help us out and then absolutely kill it at WR this year in the draft.

QB will be drafted without a doubt. If they go QB in round 1 it will be through trade up I think, and it comes down to if they can find a trade up partner. If not, then I think they will take the BPA which will likely be a DT or DE at 15 and target Prescott, Hogan, etc later on. But I do still think they will move up for the QB and the reason is if they don't get it right off the top they'll be losing their minds as each window opens on the guys they like as fits and to be safe will end up needing to reach. Why not just get it over with at the top?

At least that's my thinking but hey, it is Fish and the dude loves taking DL and CBs in round 1 and there will be very good value at those positions when pick 15 comes up. So who knows.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No doubt. What is interesting is if you look at each draft they do very well in their targeted area, the position they are focused on. I was wondering whether they could find a good OL until last year's draft, for example, and they focused the F out of the position and came out of that draft with a completely rebuilt OL. So while I am skeptic like you are, I have to give them credit on some very good drafting overall.

WR they definitely need to raise the bar on. And what I wonder about is to what extent Sherman was involved in drafting the guys they took. Teams use the input from the staff in their evaluation process. But either way yes they need to add a veteran who can help us out and then absolutely kill it at WR this year in the draft.

QB will be drafted without a doubt. If they go QB in round 1 it will be through trade up I think, and it comes down to if they can find a trade up partner. If not, then I think they will take the BPA which will likely be a DT or DE at 15 and target Prescott, Hogan, etc later on. But I do still think they will move up for the QB and the reason is if they don't get it right off the top they'll be losing their minds as each window opens on the guys they like as fits and to be safe will end up needing to reach. Why not just get it over with at the top?

At least that's my thinking but hey, it is Fish and the dude loves taking DL and CBs in round 1 and there will be very good value at those positions when pick 15 comes up. So who knows.
Good point about Sherman, but the scouts have to do a lot with it, surely. It seems that the Rams have had a rough time at this position for quite a few regimes. They need to get it right, and there is a smaller margin of error this year, so there are higher stakes. I don't think this is a star-laden WR class.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

My prediction is that moving up will be too costly in their minds, especially since the instant starter doesn't seem to be in this group of top QBs anyway. They may even decide that earlier this offseason and settle on another veteran. So, they use round 1 on BPA, which is likely a MLB or DE, or they could move down a little bit and take a guy like Doctson later in round 1 and get an extra pick. Then round 2 they use one of the picks on the best QB they think is available. If that is Cook they probably move up for him in round 2. If that QB does not exist (and I don't think he does) then they figure Mannion is as good as what is available and use round 2 on another WR, and DE or MLB.

My hopes, are that they move up for the best QB they can get, if they think the guy is going to be very good......If they don't think that then sit pat at 15.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So far, I have not been the at all impressed with the Wide Receiver acquisitions, ........... WR has been a big mess so far.

The below is the list of WR's Fisher has invested in from the Rams last four drafts:
2012 2nd rd. Brian Quick, Appalachian State
2012 4th rd. Chris Givens,Wake Forest
2013 3rd round Stedman Bailey,West Virginia
2013 1st round Tavon Austin,West Virginia
2015 6 th rd. Bud Sasser, Missouri

Only one of these pass catchers had any production with this team this past season. I would argue that TA is not a Wide Receiver but more of a punt returner, Slot receiver, RB & sometime wide out. It another reason why I am for keeping Kenny Britt even with his 5 million price tag. After Britt Rams don't have a wide out! Your right it is a mess thus far....

Of all the 37 draft selections that Fisher has had since 2012 he has only drafted 2 QB's.
2015 3rd rd.(89) Sean Mannion QB Oregon State
2014 6th rd.(214) Garrett Gilbert QB Southern Methodist- RELEASED

In the hind-site sure looks like it was afterthought on getting in some young talent @ this vital position.

Last edited: