Laquan Treadwell, Hunter Henry and Connor Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If you could walk away with these three in your first 3 picks, would you?

It could require a trade up into the bottom of the 1st or the top of the 2nd with a 3rd day or 2017 pick. (Maybe we'll be able to unload Foles for a 7th to help out with this).

Just curious of this package. I'm not in love with Cook but I think he's actually good value at the top of the 2nd. Henry seems to have the hands that Jared Cook doesn't and could take on the Joker role while Kendricks blocks. Treadwell could give us an dominating outside presence to take over for Britt and sub in jumbo packages where Austin isn't on the outside.

Cook wouldn't start for us right away (I don't see any QB in this draft starting day 1 or even getting more than last 4 games of the season next year) but could sit and learn for a year. That could be a real benefit for him.

Keenum who has warts gets some major weapons. Think about the games last year where our offense stalled because Cook dropped passes or Britt was out with an injury for plays at a time. If we could just fix that, Keenum could give us Ryan Fitzpatrick production (I know, not amazing but pretty good).

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
If you could walk away with these three in your first 3 picks, would you?

It could require a trade up into the bottom of the 1st or the top of the 2nd with a 3rd day or 2017 pick. (Maybe we'll be able to unload Foles for a 7th to help out with this).

Just curious of this package. I'm not in love with Cook but I think he's actually good value at the top of the 2nd. Henry seems to have the hands that Jared Cook doesn't and could take on the Joker role while Kendricks blocks. Treadwell could give us an dominating outside presence to take over for Britt and sub in jumbo packages where Austin isn't on the outside.

Cook wouldn't start for us right away (I don't see any QB in this draft starting day 1 or even getting more than last 4 games of the season next year) but could sit and learn for a year. That could be a real benefit for him.

Keenum who has warts gets some major weapons. Think about the games last year where our offense stalled because Cook dropped passes or Britt was out with an injury for plays at a time. If we could just fix that, Keenum could give us Ryan Fitzpatrick production (I know, not amazing but pretty good).

I like it. I would be happy with that.

An option that I would suggest would be switching TE Henry for another dynamic slot receiver; Sterling Shepard. Shepard probably will be off the board by pick #50, but Henry still may be there. In addition, I like Jerell Adams better. And he should be available with the Rams 3rd round pick, maybe into the 4th round also..

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it. I would be happy with that.

An option that I would suggest would be switching TE Henry for another dynamic slot receiver; Sterling Shepard. Shepard probably will be off the board by pick #50, but Henry still may be there. In addition, I like Jerell Adams better. And he should be available with the Rams 3rd round pick, maybe into the 4th round also..

I just wonder if Henry offers us more bang-for-our buck than any of the slot receivers available in this draft. This offense should spend a good deal of time in Ace formation with two TE's on the field at a time. Plus, a good TE is a QBs best friend.

Dalton who was a middle of the road QB until Hue got a hold of him and one of the things Hue did was revolve the offense around Eifort.

Honestly, I think we could make Keenum look good if we got him a #1 receiver and an above average tight end. Just decent defenses can sell out and stop our rushing attack and have a very good shot at beating us. Add a #1 weapon (which could be Treadwell) and it would take a very good defense that would have to stop us as a defense would have a hard time taking away both Gurley and a legitimate #1 receiver. If you have a third weapon, that's what makes an offense sing. You could argue that Tavon is the third weapon but I wonder if he's still to limited in his repertoire of abilities to be a consistent weapon down to down. He might be still too gadgety.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's certainly good enough for me. But I'd prefer Goff or Wentz or Lynch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a big dice roll. We see a QB like Cook often is the target of a late 1st round trade up or early 2nd round trade up. You're rolling the dice that he's going to last all the way to your 1st 2nd round pick.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That's a big dice roll. We see a QB like Cook often is the target of a late 1st round trade up or early 2nd round trade up. You're rolling the dice that he's going to last all the way to your 1st 2nd round pick.

Totally roll of the dice but I don't don't think Cook is gonna be the answer (statistically, I think he's worth a shot as I'm 70/30 on him not turning into a franchise guy but 30% on a QB working out is not bad). I like Wentz and Goff but I don't think they're sure things enough to mortgage our future for. So I feel like I'm playing the percentages. There is a scenario where I would be far happier with Treadwell and Henry with another developmental QB to compete with Mannion over trading multiple picks for Wentz or Goff. That's not to say that there isn't a fair deal of picks for either of those two, I'm just now so sure we could get them for it.

I'd be really hard pressed to argue for either of those two guys for more than our 2015 1st, 2016 1st and a 2015 2nd. And I just don't see how those few picks get us either one of them. (Maybe I'd be a tad more confident in sending one more 2016 pick if I had an idea of the supplementals we'll get back for Jenkins and Mcleod but even then...)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally roll of the dice but I don't don't think Cook is gonna be the answer (statistically, I think he's worth a shot as I'm 70/30 on him not turning into a franchise guy but 30% on a QB working out is not bad). I like Wentz and Goff but I don't think they're sure things enough to mortgage our future for. So I feel like I'm playing the percentages. There is a scenario where I would be far happier with Treadwell and Henry with another developmental QB to compete with Mannion over trading multiple picks for Wentz or Goff. That's not to say that there isn't a fair deal of picks for either of those two, I'm just now so sure we could get them for it.

I'd be really hard pressed to argue for either of those two guys for more than our 2015 1st, 2016 1st and a 2015 2nd. And I just don't see how those few picks get us either one of them. (Maybe I'd be a tad more confident in sending one more 2016 pick if I had an idea of the supplementals we'll get back for Jenkins and Mcleod but even then...)

I agree I don't think he'll be the long term answer at QB. I think there are only three that can be the answer in this draft (Goff, Wentz and Lynch). The only guy outside of those that even remotely interests me is Brissett. Personally if we don't get one of the top 3 QB's with our first pick it would be just as good not drafting one. Take the best CB in the 1st round and try your best with weapons drafted later. Though kicking the QB can down the road will be a bitter pill to swallow.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's certainly good enough for me. But I'd prefer Goff or Wentz or Lynch.

Concur I'd rather walk away with worst case scenario....Lynch, Boyd & Henry or IMO even better....Lynch, Boyd, Nick Martin and Nick Vannett.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lynch, Boyd and Henry would be an intriguing combo. The question to me about Lynch is: Does he have to sit a year or TWO?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lynch, Boyd and Henry would be an intriguing combo. The question to me about Lynch is: Does he have to sit a year or TWO?
Most likely yes he would have to sit, how long really depends on him and the coaches. He's got some footwork issues and of course he has to learn the offense. All depends on how well he's coached and how well he learns. We still have Chris Weinke as QB coach who did wonders at IMG along with Groh as passing game coordinator.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Most likely yes he would have to sit, how long really depends on him and the coaches. He's got some footwork issues and of course he has to learn the offense. All depends on how well he's coached and how well he learns. We still have Chris Weinke as QB coach who did wonders at IMG along with Groh as passing game coordinator.

Yeah, I guess the answer (which we might not know) is how much time the kid puts in and his ability to learn NFL offenses and read defenses. There were some reports that he was not very good on the white board at the combine but it makes sense, he's not been asked to remember or process offensive plays nor has he been asked to read defenses to determine reads. I just worries he's miles behind where he'll need to be.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I guess the answer (which we might not know) is how much time the kid puts in and his ability to learn NFL offenses and read defenses. There were some reports that he was not very good on the white board at the combine but it makes sense, he's not been asked to remember or process offensive plays nor has he been asked to read defenses to determine reads. I just worries he's miles behind where he'll need to be.
And we could also have Groh and Fisher put in a very limited passing game like the Titans did for Mariotta last year. You go back and look at the games before he got hurt and he literally had to work with only half the field and one or two reads each play. There are things that can be done to help him it really, and this will be true with any rookie QB, depend on them and their desire to learn.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@OldSchool, you're assuming our coaches can put together a passing offense with any reads in it at all!

;)

Of note: I dinged Schottenheimer a lot when he was here but I believe our offense would have been heads and tales better with him at the helm. We lost an average (albeit maddening) coordinator and downgraded to way below average. I'm not thoroughly convinced we've improved.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could live with this^. BUT! I'd rather have Doctson / Hooper / Cook! JMHO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think what I'd hate most is seeing Lynch go to NY or Denver and slay it for the next decade once he gets acclimated while the Rams add another very average talent to their QB room.

But hey, you're probably onto something. I could definitely see Fish focusing on system over everything else.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think what I'd hate most is seeing Lynch go to NY or Denver and slay it for the next decade once he gets acclimated while the Rams add another very average talent to their QB room.

But hey, you're probably onto something. I could definitely see Fish focusing on system over everything else.

There's a world where you can have Lynch, Treadwell and Henry. Would probably take a 3rd day pick and some to do. I just don't see Lynch as that great a prospect. Physically he's heads and tails above Cook (possibly even from intangibles, but the guy has A LOT of work to do to learn an NFL offense and read defenses).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would take this, and I think in some ways it makes sense.

Have to bring in some weapons. Have to bring in another QB and then let the 4 duke it out.

Between Foles/Keenum/Mannion/Rookie 2nd round pick, we should be able to find a serviceable starter for the upcoming season. The problem is, what about beyond that? If you look at it realistically, we probably aren't competing for the super bowl this year with everything going on - that would make this draft the ideal one to trade the farm for a franchise QB. Then in free agency/draft after next year we can load up on some weapons if still needed.

On the flip side, getting some more weapons would allow you to assess your QBs and figure out if one will be the future. The issue, again, is that if they aren't, another year has been wasted as you can't count on a rookie QB to lead you to the promised land.

Snisher know what they have better than we do, so their draft strategy will be telling.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looks like Treadwell ran expected range: 4.63. Puts him squarely in Rams' round 1 real estate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know he's good but watching Treadwell nothing to me is exciting. It scares me that we don't take a QB and grab him instead and our passing game doesn't improve at all.