Langford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

You'd take basically a chance to draft a backup for a good player? They can deal with the pay next year after we make the playoffs. IMO

Alan

Legend
I haven't had lots of good stuff to say about Langford but I wouldn't trade him for less than a 3rd rounder. Plus, I don't want to trade him at all this year. Maybe after the season is over. Depends on the progress of Westbrooks, Sam and the other young guys.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just worried about our rush Def. I believe our key to success is stopping the run on first and second down, setting up 3rd and longs. We have to the talent, just have to execute.
Getting stats from a 3 tech DT is just not going to happen. Getting penetration usually only occurs if they are stunting and someone on the Oline misses an assignment. More often than not, in the scheme, the DTs biggest role is to occupy blockers and keep the interior guys from getting to the second level... anything more than that from a statistical standpoint is a bonus.
Trying to evaluate the run defense from these Preseason games is futile. They run zero line stunts, zero run blitzes, and as many have noted, many of the key players just aren't playing much, if at all.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Getting rid of Langford after the season he just had is just...Naw, I wouldn't do it. He played really well the last 10 or so games. I doubt he's in there that much this preseason. I'm almost sure of it. I'm more interested to see Carrington & Donald get work versus opponents 1's so they can get acclimated to the NFC. We'll carry 9 DL's like always....If we trade anybody, it'll be Sam or Westbrooks. And I'm really starting to like Westbrooks.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Langford is perhaps the most expendable, but I wouldn't take a 4th for anyone who started last year or plays major time in the rotation. I don't think we need the cap savings this year, and our run defense will suffer without him. In the NFC West that's not good.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I realize he has a big salary, but the ONLY way the Rams should trade Langford is if they can get a 1st round pick for his services.

I agree.

What would be the purpose of dealing Langford? Cap relief doesn't help us much this year. The $1M in dead money next offseason is well worth having a starting caliber DT in your rotation this season.

One reason why this team hasn't been able to get over the hump is a lack of depth. Now's not the time to start dealing away players like Langford.

I'll be ready to have this discussion in the offseason IF Donald produces this year.

Last edited:

AnarchyRam

Rookie
In madden they call it "block shedding". And thus far this preseason I've seen very little of it amongst the starters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have a feeling Langford will be traded to the COwturds before the trade deadline TBH

They would need a comparable OL talent to make that trade worth it. Dallas wont trade a starter for him. That is what he is with the Rams right now. Starter for starter maybe. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

Just because Donald is on the team now doesn't mean that Fisher wants to sit Langford. A strong rotation is vital to the D NOT wearing down.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

But then you are relying this year on Donald, who is a rookie, or Carrington/Conrath. Both of whom have played so well that they are talked about as possible camp cuts. I don't understand why we would consider doing that to our run defense for a 4th round pick.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Of course not. The point is that's what it should have to take to even consider such a move right now.
Meh we got good depth at DT...with AD getting good reps and experience by the trade deadline I see this happening.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
They've got Donald and who else? Conrath and Carrington have proven to just be bodies so far.
Carrington is a very good player and it's kinda hard to prove anything when you ahve a 1st rd talent, Langford and Brockers ahead of you on the depth chart. We got some depth there, Conrath is a decent 2nd stringer

Memphis Ram

Legend
Carrington is a very good player and it's kinda hard to prove anything when you ahve a 1st rd talent, Langford and Brockers ahead of you on the depth chart. We got some depth there, Conrath is a decent 2nd stringer

Both Langford and Brockers have missed time due to injury this preseason. And prior to his limited preseason stints, Carrington hadn't played since September 2013. We hope he is "still" a very good player.

Meanwhile Conrath is a project, who only played in about 8 games last year. If he were a decent 2nd stringer then chances are Carrington, or maybe even Donald, would not have even been added to the roster.

Last edited:

stlramscar

UDFA
I am not down with trading Langford, he really came on strong the last 10 games or so last season,particularly the last game against Seattle. Now I know that was the game he got ejected from but before that Seattle could not block him he was living in their backfield. Which is why they instigated all the fighting and got him out the game,cause they couldn't do a damn thing with him.

And allowing Donald to learn and play behind him will do wonders for Donald and his development.