KC running back Jamaal Charles avoids concussion protocol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-want-to-go-through-the-concussion-protocol/

Jamaal Charles: I didn’t want to go through the concussion protocol
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 22, 2014

charlesflowers-e1413984572318.jpg
AP

When Jamaal Charles scored a touchdown Sunday against San Diego, he had a violent collision with Chargers cornerback Brandon Flowers, sending both of them to the turf. Flowers left the game with a concussion, but Charles kept playing.

Maybe he shouldn’t have. Charles said on ESPN Radio that he was seeing flashing lights afterward, which is one of the symptoms of a concussion.

“It definitely hurt,” Charles said. “It’s like, I woke up — I mean, like, a couple plays later I was seeing light bulbs, like, light bulbs around my eyes, and I was trying to catch them. But I was in the game so I was like, ‘Alright, let’s get the ball and run again.'”

So why wasn’t Charles removed from the game? Charles said he tried to avoid having to go through the league’s concussion protocol. Charles previously suffered a concussion in January, in the Chiefs’ playoff loss to the Colts, and his absence from the rest of that game may have been the difference between the Chiefs winning and losing in Indianapolis. As a result, Charles said he doesn’t want to go through the concussion protocol because he wants to be able to keep playing to help his team.

“I didn’t have a concussion but it definitely was a hit that shocked me. But I don’t think I had to go through the concussion protocols and all that. I didn’t want to go through that again because of what happened in the playoffs. I was definitely fine, I think I came out pretty good,” Charles said.

It’s admirable that Charles wants to help his team, but it’s worrisome that NFL players still try to avoid a concussion diagnosis. Charles may think he was “definitely fine,” but that determination should have been made by a doctor.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He must be still experiencing symptoms if he admits to that, dumb, dumb, dumb I'd say the league may have something they can do now .
AND now knowing he had a concussion last Sunday cuz the symptoms he describes are classic ,what does Reid do? I mean they just 2 years ago had a guy with CTE kill his girlfriend and himself .
Open mouth insert foot there Jamaal there are a lot of Db's and LBs in this league would love to know your one hit to the head away from going nighty night

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Good point. (y)

If I was his coach he along with the rest of the team would hear this "if you conceal a concussion from the Drs. and us (the coaching staff) , have the good sense to keep it "under your hat". So what does the team Dr do now ?
GAWD

beej

Rookie
If the league wanted a leg up in a future law suit they should suspend him for one game. Imo

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“It definitely hurt,” Charles said. “It’s like, I woke up — I mean, like, a couple plays later I was seeing light bulbs, like, light bulbs around my eyes, and I was trying to catch them. But I was in the game so I was like, ‘Alright, let’s get the ball and run again.'”

And all the players in the suit against the NFL and the NFL themselves are shaking their fists. Seriously, WTF?? If the NFL is being held responsible for the lack of proper medical support, how is this behavior acceptable?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If the league wanted a leg up in a future law suit they should suspend him for one game. Imo
If you saw the hit the first thing you'd have said to him when he came off the field would have been "are you OK?"
It was a slobber knocker

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is Exhibit A as to why I maintain some skepticism these concussion lawsuits by ex-players. A lot of the ex-players who are suffering the consequences now behaved just like Charles is now.

I think the NFL should make every player sign a waiver that relieves them of legal liability for post-career issues from this, providing they are properly treated during their careers. And I would consider something like forcing guys in Charles situation now to sit for a game after a concussion, or if not that, at least enforce the concussion protocol more rigidly. Otherwise if these guys are going to flaunt the protocol while they are players, then they really have no business filing lawsuits for damages post-career.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
“I didn’t have a concussion but it definitely was a hit that shocked me. But I don’t think I had to go through the concussion protocols and all that. I didn’t want to go through that again because of what happened in the playoffs. I was definitely fine, I think I came out pretty good,” Charles said.

Because you're a medical professional Jamal :huh:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm with TD I would have asked him if he was OK when he hit the sideline. It was a wicked hit.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't see how the league could allow him to play without being cleared, now that he has openly admitted to having symptoms.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From the Chiefs Planet site:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287707

Sure sounds like Jamaal played through a concussion

Charles, who already missed one game this season due to an ankle sprain, may not know the definition of a concussion. Keep in mind, Charles is no stranger to concussion controversies. He left last year’s wild-card game against Indianapolis in the first half with a concussion. The Chiefs lost that game, and later that week, he showed his frustrations on a radio show, claiming he did not suffer a concussion.

Either he doesn’t know what a concussion is or he must have some sort of contract clause that would give him a bonus for games played or yards. The harsh reality is that there’s always someone gunning for your job in the NFL, so players tend to keep hush about any possible injuries. Charles could be worried about losing playing time to Knile Davis, who you can make an argument has been just as effective running the ball for Kansas City as Charles has this season.

I checked NFL Game Rewind after that interview on ESPN Radio and noticed he only touched the ball twice in the fourth quarter.

Immediately after that hit, Knile Davis took over for him and saw most of the work in the fourth quarter. Were team physicians checking him out for a concussion? Probably not.
---------
Dude is too much of a dumb jock to remember this is just a rigged performance. /ramtard
---------
If he did get a concussion it was the most energetic one I have ever seen. The way he jumped up and ran around after the TD you couldn't tell anything was wrong.
I feel there will be a day when helmets have monitors in them that send a signal to the trainer when a strong concussion hit is made to the head.
---------
Football is a violent game and injuries happen. I'm not saying I wanted him to get hurt, but rather I want him to continue playing.
--------
Because a football game is more important than a person's health.

Your priorities.
---------
Every player that walks on the field has accepted that the game is more important than their health. They get paid for that decision and you and I get entertainment out of it. No need to dress it up as anything else.
-----------
Yeah, and that was all well and good until former players started suing the NFL over this crap.
----------
Knile Davis is a damn good RB, but there is no way in hell that you can make the argument that he has been as effective as Charles.

Charles is just far more dynamic and electric.
---------
I listen to LeBatard every day and he baited Charles into this by pushing his concussion/CTE agenda that LeBatard beats into the ground EVERY single day on the show.

By the time Charles realized what as going on it was too late.

This is LeBatard schtick. Ask a fun question, ask another fun question, to soften the person up, then bam bait into a serious/controversial question the person might not expect. Charles wasn't ready for it, and Charles could have simply said "No" and moved on but he tried to give an answer cause he felt LeBatard was having a fun interview.
----------
No chance the League gets petty and vengeful over this, huh? Would hate to see them make an example of an unreported "concussion" by throwing a game suspension his way...
---------
Different issue, same subject. These guys can't remember family members, where they live, their own names etc.
Out of all the pussy rules we have protecting players nowadays, the concussion protocols are something I support.

The common argument is, "These guys know what they're getting into." But they don't understand what the long term effects will be. I know that when I was in my early 20's I'd throw my body into some serious shit playing football, baseball or whatever. I'm paying for it now with constant shoulder issues.

I suffered a severe concussion playing football. I had no idea how bad it was until the next day. I couldn't focus, my head hurt and the nausea was terrible.
If these guys are getting 5-10 of those per career, they'll hit the assisted living facilities in their 40's.
-----------
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Jim Harbaugh single handedly set self-reporting concussions back 20 years in the NFL.

If a player, who is statistically the best in his position, can be replaced and never play again after reporting a concussion than many many many others will follow suit.

The season Alex got benched he led the league in Wins, Passer Rating and Completion Percentage. Takes one shot to the dome in ST Louis, gets back up, throws a ****ing strike to the end zone to take the lead. Goes to the sideline, complains of blurred vision, and never takes another meaningful snap for the 49ers. GOOD ****ING GAME HARBAUGH YOU PIECE OF ****ING SHIT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is Exhibit A as to why I maintain some skepticism these concussion lawsuits by ex-players. A lot of the ex-players who are suffering the consequences now behaved just like Charles is now.

I think the NFL should make every player sign a waiver that relieves them of legal liability for post-career issues from this, providing they are properly treated during their careers. And I would consider something like forcing guys in Charles situation now to sit for a game after a concussion, or if not that, at least enforce the concussion protocol more rigidly. Otherwise if these guys are going to flaunt the protocol while they are players, then they really have no business filing lawsuits for damages post-career.

Wouldn't matter.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Wouldn't matter.
No you're probably right it would take the union to agree to it and possibly the sort of legislative action that exculpates ski resorts from the "inherent risks",but it could be done .
IMO the league while being held responsible is getting a bum deal ,especially since college players practice so much more and who knows when in a players career the damage was done ? It could be irreversibly done by the time a kid makes it to the pros.
As usual the lawyers go for the money , it's so similar IMO to the tobacco issue ,who didn't know it caused lung cancer and emphysema ?